Should the Germans be banned from Burning Man

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Should Germans be banned from BM

Yes
10
16%
No
28
45%
Germs are Germs
12
19%
They're OK if they're Gay!
12
19%
 
Total votes : 62

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:15 am

Oops. I blame it on re-entry sickness. Now for some proper reruns:

Image

Image

Image

Image
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
User avatar
Mister Jellyfish Mister
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: Sparks, Nevada

Postby Deb Prothero » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:02 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
barnaclelapse wrote:
ygmir wrote:do you mean half french, and, half candian, or, half french/canadian, and, half something else........

the percent french and/or canadian does matter............we gotta know what music to play in case you get out of hand and we need you to submit/surrender.........


Born in Canada, half-French, father from Quebec.

Does that help?
A little.
We don't much like the cheese eating surrender monkeys and we find canada to be too "america lite." However, you're not a hippie and you're not a raver. Those are the bottom feeders in the burningman group identity hierarchy. If you hang around here long enough, you become an eplayan (if you're lucky, it's complicated) and then you are identified as such and the canadian and the french becomes almost irrelevant.

At least that was the consensus as far as I can remember it, which took place in the small boob at 2am, or maybe it was at bruno's. I do have faint memories of throwing up. Or was that even the eplayan policy meeting?


oh dear, I didn't realize there was a consensus about Canadians. No one told me. :shock: Guess you were all just being polite. :roll:

When do you get the certificate for becoming an eplayan??? Is there a survival guide? I'd like to read up on those policies. :D
User avatar
Deb Prothero
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: St. Thomas, ON, Canada

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:14 pm

Deb Prothero wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
barnaclelapse wrote:
ygmir wrote:do you mean half french, and, half candian, or, half french/canadian, and, half something else........

the percent french and/or canadian does matter............we gotta know what music to play in case you get out of hand and we need you to submit/surrender.........


Born in Canada, half-French, father from Quebec.

Does that help?
A little.
We don't much like the cheese eating surrender monkeys and we find canada to be too "america lite." However, you're not a hippie and you're not a raver. Those are the bottom feeders in the burningman group identity hierarchy. If you hang around here long enough, you become an eplayan (if you're lucky, it's complicated) and then you are identified as such and the canadian and the french becomes almost irrelevant.

At least that was the consensus as far as I can remember it, which took place in the small boob at 2am, or maybe it was at bruno's. I do have faint memories of throwing up. Or was that even the eplayan policy meeting?


oh dear, I didn't realize there was a consensus about Canadians. No one told me. :shock: Guess you were all just being polite. :roll:

When do you get the certificate for becoming an eplayan??? Is there a survival guide? I'd like to read up on those policies. :D



Image
there are tasks you first must perform............

we will illiterate them, here:

first:

you must document a conversation with DVD burner, face to face.........

second:
you must bring us a shrubbery

(anyone have a third?)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Deb Prothero » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Hey ygmir;

Not sure what DVD Burner has to do with this but I'm game if he is!

Where's the proof of others having gone through this initiation? Are there other pictures of face-to-face encounters with DVD Burner?

As for shrubbery, not sure what you want but where would you like that delivered? :lol:
User avatar
Deb Prothero
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: St. Thomas, ON, Canada

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:48 pm

HI Deb,
there is no proof......it's totally faith based..........and, faith requires no proof, so, is therefore, the only "real" thing there is............

part of this quest, is, to understand the deeper meaning....(grasshopper).........

it's there, just close your eyes, so that, you might see..........

Image
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Deb Prothero » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:55 pm

ah I see now. It's one of those burning bush things. Gotcha.

Image
User avatar
Deb Prothero
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: St. Thomas, ON, Canada

Postby gyre » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Deb Prothero wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
barnaclelapse wrote:
ygmir wrote:do you mean half french, and, half candian, or, half french/canadian, and, half something else........

the percent french and/or canadian does matter............we gotta know what music to play in case you get out of hand and we need you to submit/surrender.........


Born in Canada, half-French, father from Quebec.

Does that help?
A little.
We don't much like the cheese eating surrender monkeys and we find canada to be too "america lite." However, you're not a hippie and you're not a raver. Those are the bottom feeders in the burningman group identity hierarchy. If you hang around here long enough, you become an eplayan (if you're lucky, it's complicated) and then you are identified as such and the canadian and the french becomes almost irrelevant.

At least that was the consensus as far as I can remember it, which took place in the small boob at 2am, or maybe it was at bruno's. I do have faint memories of throwing up. Or was that even the eplayan policy meeting?


oh dear, I didn't realize there was a consensus about Canadians. No one told me. :shock: Guess you were all just being polite. :roll:

When do you get the certificate for becoming an eplayan??? Is there a survival guide? I'd like to read up on those policies. :D

viewtopic.php?t=16297
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Deb Prothero » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:40 pm

Hard to see a clear consensus on that thread, gyre. Some were harshing on us Canadians and some were loving us or our environs. I'm guessing most here just ignore us mostly.

I did get a chuckle out of the one post from a fella in Minnesota talking about beating us at hockey. More than half the NHL stars are recruited from Canada to play on American teams. Funny that.

Anyway, getting back to the original post, seems to me that radical inclusion requires that we accept everyone - Germans, Canadians, Quebecois or Martians when they show up. Doesn't mean we have to associate with any particular group that is hard for us to adapt to but it would be hard to see excluding anyone.
User avatar
Deb Prothero
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: St. Thomas, ON, Canada

Postby gyre » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:52 pm

That's as close to consensus as things get around here.
There is no consensus about the ten principles either, many of which are contradictory when carried far enough.
There doesn't seem to be a strong anti-canadian sentiment from what I see.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:02 pm

I can only speak for me, but, I do loves me some Canadians.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Deb Prothero » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Speaking for myself, I do love me some Americans too! Especially gyre, ygmir and simon who I've had the great honour of meeting in person this year.

Oh and then there's that gang in Reno lead by OED and his trusty Legs. Happened to call OED on the way home from the burn. I was a half hour from his birthplace so I dropped in to see what could have caused OED. Wait til he sees the pictures - I found the miracle. pics on FB for the curious. Look for the sculptures from found metal objects.
User avatar
Deb Prothero
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: St. Thomas, ON, Canada

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Deb Prothero wrote:Speaking for myself, I do love me some Americans too! Especially gyre, ygmir and simon who I've had the great honour of meeting in person this year.

Oh and then there's that gang in Reno lead by OED and his trusty Legs. Happened to call OED on the way home from the burn. I was a half hour from his birthplace so I dropped in to see what could have caused OED. Wait til he sees the pictures - I found the miracle. pics on FB for the curious. Look for the sculptures from found metal objects.


I'll be "speak no evil"................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Deb Prothero » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:06 pm

Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil!

We'll have to change the order, ygmir. You can't be the rose and "speak no evil" too.
User avatar
Deb Prothero
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: St. Thomas, ON, Canada

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:07 pm

ok, I'll go with that.............

I'm just trying to maintain my untarnished image..........puritanical, as such.......



*edit 'cause I was to quick on the trigger to post*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:55 am

ygmir wrote:I can only speak for me, but, I do loves me some Canadians.............

Marinated and spit roasted is especially nice.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37404
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:19 pm

ygmir wrote:HI Deb,
there is no proof......it's totally faith based..........and, faith requires no proof, so, is therefore, the only "real" thing there is............

part of this quest, is, to understand the deeper meaning....(grasshopper).........

it's there, just close your eyes, so that, you might see..........

Image


Oh Mighty Tim!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
User avatar
Mister Jellyfish Mister
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: Sparks, Nevada

Postby Mister Satan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:23 pm

ygmir wrote:I can only speak for me, but, I do loves me some Canadians.............


But would you be OK with your sister marrying one?
If you are not freaked out by nudity please check out my gallery on deviant ART
http://art-terrorist.deviantart.com/
User avatar
Mister Satan
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:56 am
Location: North Dallas, Texas Republic

Postby Deb Prothero » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:36 pm

at least she'd get health care then! :D
User avatar
Deb Prothero
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: St. Thomas, ON, Canada

Postby ygmir » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:16 am

Mister Satan wrote:
ygmir wrote:I can only speak for me, but, I do loves me some Canadians.............


But would you be OK with your sister marrying one?


yeah, sure.....at least I know he'd be nice, and polite..............

Although, perhaps a left wing liberal socialist.......but, well..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Deb Prothero » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:02 pm

ygmir, we're not all left wing liberal socialists. Health care is just a thing that civilized countries do for each other. Our politics is slightly left of centre but nowhere near socialism. I think we appear more left leaning than we actually are. :D
User avatar
Deb Prothero
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: St. Thomas, ON, Canada

Postby gyre » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:24 pm

Funny, I think of canada as being rather conservative.
BC is rather different from the rest of the country.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby Deb Prothero » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:29 pm

It's that warm Pacific current that Crypto is always showing us. Has an affect on most places on the Wet Coast of North America, methinks.
User avatar
Deb Prothero
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: St. Thomas, ON, Canada

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:46 pm

Deb Prothero wrote:ygmir, we're not all left wing liberal socialists. Health care is just a thing that civilized countries do for each other. Our politics is slightly left of centre but nowhere near socialism. I think we appear more left leaning than we actually are. :D

You know the states. Anyone to the left of Margaret Thatcher is a dangerous communist.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37404
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:49 pm

Deb Prothero wrote:It's that warm Pacific current that Crypto is always showing us.

WTF? You do know my current comes from Alaska. That's why we have puffins...
Deb Prothero wrote:Has an affect on most places on the Wet Coast of North America, methinks.

Look, it's not that I mind being thought of a goddess, for the most part. But you're going to find out that my feet are of clay, and I don't actually control the weather.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37404
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:05 pm

gyre wrote:Funny, I think of canada as being rather conservative.
BC is rather different from the rest of the country.


you would............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:07 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Deb Prothero wrote:ygmir, we're not all left wing liberal socialists. Health care is just a thing that civilized countries do for each other. Our politics is slightly left of centre but nowhere near socialism. I think we appear more left leaning than we actually are. :D

You know the states. Anyone to the left of Margaret Thatcher is a dangerous communist.


yes, and, anyone right of Mao is a brown shirt..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Deb Prothero » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:33 pm

So that settles it, we're all the middle playing happily together. :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Deb Prothero
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: St. Thomas, ON, Canada

Postby gyre » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:22 pm

ygmir wrote:
gyre wrote:Funny, I think of canada as being rather conservative.
BC is rather different from the rest of the country.


you would............

How is it not?
I am still considered unfit for canadian residency and maybe even tourism.
And yet I have free passage to any number of fascist and socialist frontiers.
How liberal is canada?


It says much about politics in this country that embracing the constitution and democracy is considered "left" by anyone.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby ygmir » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:30 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Deb Prothero wrote:It's that warm Pacific current that Crypto is always showing us.

WTF? You do know my current comes from Alaska. That's why we have puffins...
Deb Prothero wrote:Has an affect on most places on the Wet Coast of North America, methinks.

Look, it's not that I mind being thought of a goddess, for the most part. But you're going to find out that my feet are of clay, and I don't actually control the weather.


Is there a warm pacific current here in CA?......Fishy, are you changing the sea, again?..............

*pop*
that was the sound of my bubble bursting........

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25978
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby littleflower » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:37 pm

the pacific is probably warmer than lake erie right now ...

that's not saying much, though.
User avatar
littleflower
 
Posts: 3377
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: rainforest canopy

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests