Preparation includes plans for clean-up ...

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:57 pm

DiveDogFLL wrote:^^nice map, thanx!!!

Who makes the call on the moop color code? Subjective?
To some extent, is what I've heard. I mean that there might need to be a judgement call between say yellow and green and some of the DPW managers in charge might call it differently than others. But it's not like some people are going to call "red" "green."

DiveDogFLL wrote:is anything more than a leaf rake needed to restore from red to green? shovels? can this stuff be borrowed from DPW?
The leaf rake is, I believe a way to disturb the dust so that hidden moop can be found and picked up. It's a step after searching for moop visually. And um there it is, last day of the event and 50,000 people are all leaving the playa at once and everyone gets into an orderly que at center camp and borrows their rake from dpw, because dpw has both 50,000 rakes and a kick ass system for checking them out so the if you don't return it, they can activate it's "lo-jack" and send their crack squads out to follow you home, get you drunk and draw on you with sharpies if you forget to bring in back in three hours like you promised.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby phil » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:04 pm

> or is the whole point, that you must plan ahead, before you
> leave, so you don't get in the red in the first place?

This is preferable. Everyone does it to suit their tastes and working styles, but Louise and I keep our camp more or less clean as we go. We volunteer with Exodus on Monday and leave on Tuesday, so we can also moop more broadly after most people have left. Not getting in red in the first place is my ideal.

But whether you clean as you go or make the final effort as you're packing up and leaving, you need to have in mind that you _will_ have to leave a clean campsite when you depart. Plan according to your style.
phil

Postby Elderberry » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:07 pm

I think the grading is less subjective once you have had the Earth Guardians do a walk through of your area--after you thought you had it mooped to the point of getting green.

For several years we were always expecting green and getting yellow, then we talked to an adjacent camp that had the EG walk their site and explain why they were not getting green--it's not just the moop, as was pointed out here before on some other threads, it's "leaving no trace" that your camp was there; ever since, we have gotten the green we expected. To that end, a rake and small shovel have been helpful and bring them every year.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping