Tent. tent trailer or small rv?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Tent. tent trailer or small rv?

Postby winebuff » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:18 pm

What do u prefer to sleep in at BM? Virign woman here going for the first time nxt year. Need advice. Not a huge budget, maybe $2, 000 for sleeping. Thx!
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby winebuff » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:17 pm

Whoops, let me clarify. $2,000 to possibly buy a used tent trailer or really cool smal vintage trailer 10ft or under. Just have a 4cylinder to pull it. Cant see spending $2grand on a rental with nothing at the end of the week to show for it. Just curious what you prefer, tent, tent trailer or rv?
winebuff

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:21 pm

I live in a car port out there. Works for me. But tents are problematic, and ownership of a trailer or an rv seems problematic to me, too. No place to park, upkeep, invading mice...

So, I'm happy in my carport. So long as I have a solid floor.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby winebuff » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:30 pm

Wow, that a interesting alternative, even for shade. Where did u get yours? How does it do in wind storms? Thx, new here
winebuff

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:44 am

Try craigslist for RV's. I am on there nearly every day scoping things out. I bet you could find something suitable for your needs and price range about once a week in the portland area from my experience. If you get one say in the next few months you will have all winter and spring to trick it out and decorate or paint it for the playa. I recommend a solid walled RV over a tent trailer although I camped with several people who camped in pop up trailers and they did not complain.

Car ports do well to very well on the playa. Costco carports are all over the playa. They are usually available in the spring. The most important part of any structure is how you secure it to the playa. Many people use ratchet straps to rebar stakes to secure car ports to the ground. I never have but it is an easy to adjust and easy to work system. An RV naturally secures its self due to the rigid construction and weight. That is one of the many assets of using an RV. I however have never camped in one at BRC. Rv's have virtually no set up time which is great because then you have more time to interact with the city.

Shade is important. It is desirable to have an open air shade to hang out in during the heat of the day. It is good to find a balance as far as vehicle and shade positioning between what will provide you with the best mid day shade and a good view of the street scene. I know a pretty good place to buy shade cloth that is about a half hour south of PDX. They have a nice stock of pre-made and remnant stuff. PM me and I will give you the details. If you go out looking for shade cloth on your own only buy the knit kind. Yah it is more expensive. Woven shade cloth is less durable and comes apart terribly if it gets cut or a hole worn in it. That means MOOP! Knit shade cloth unravels much much less and has a give that just seems to work better. Get lots of grommets in the edges.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby gyre » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:49 am

What kind of 4 cyl?

Given a choice, I'd bring my trailer.
Too far and too much gas for me.
Some tents will hold up, like the Springbar or most four season tents.

I got by with a very light tent this year by wrapping it in 100 pounds of tarps and some expert help from Antim's Mylarry.
It even did quite well as shade, though it was a cool year.
His handiwork got compliments from some of the rv owners too.
I couldn't keep out all the dust.
That takes a better tent.
But not bad.

Shade is everything.
I could sleep till noon.
Never opened a window.
gyre

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:17 am

I'd get a tent I liked and an air mattress, and do something good with the rest of the money.

Don't you think most people would prefer to sleep in an RV, on a bed, in a more quiet, sand-less environment?

You're talking about spending more on "sleeping" than some people spend on the entire trip.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby TomServo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:52 am

winebuff wrote:Wow, that a interesting alternative, even for shade. Where did u get yours? How does it do in wind storms? Thx, new here

I think the first question was answered...in spring, at costco or ace or craigslist...
They do great in dust storms,if they're securely anchored. They also fly really well if they're not! Not the kind of flying moop you'd want to catch. I swear by t posts, but they're heavy and a bit of work, to both drive and remove, without the right tools.

Tent trailers... seem to do okay out there. A buddy of mine has been bringing his for years. Its a dusty mess by now. I guess at some point, the constant cleaning became too much.

Id go carport...or maybe a 10x10 canopy (the expensive frame types..NOT the cheap lawn canopies or the EZ-Ups), to start out with. Good luck

Ill see if I can find a pic to post. EZ ups have a life span of two to three dust storms
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby AntiM » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:06 am

We do small tents under tilted carports. The tilt makes less wind resistance, we do it with modified short legs down one side. Then we add camp netting for a social shade area. You will need help setting up a carport, but that is not a problem. You aren't alone there, even when camping solo.

AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Thank you!

Postby winebuff » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:30 am

Man, you guys (and gals) are so dam great! Wonderful ideas to get me excited. I will look on craigslist which is huge in pdx for all this stuff used since I have time. I loved the photo of your tent with the cam net. That helps to visualize what all you do out there because I am learning as I go. Its funny because when I tell people I am going, 51yr old woman, married , by herself, they all think I am whacked. That is until I send them the link that shows them the pics of the fantastic art and explains it. Then they REALLY think I am WHACKED. Very happy to be whacked and so dam excited. LOve to push the buttons of life, dont you? "Life is short, do not run" Thx again everyone. I am a wine rep so have really nice wine. Join me for a glass on the playa or shall it be champagne to celebrate my de-vriginizing?
winebuff

Re: Thank you!

Postby ibdave » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:35 am

winebuff wrote:Man, you guys (and gals) are so dam great! Wonderful ideas to get me excited.

If you haven't seen this yet, it will get you wet with excitement..

You can zoom in close and see all types of shelter.

http://gigapan.org/gigapans/fullscreen/34311/

Now this link is a great shopping site...

http://www.playazon.com/home.html

8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby winebuff » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:45 am

Perfect. I appreciate all the help I can get. Definitely going to keep an eye out for the costco carport though. Boy, this site is addicting and fun. So much great info I am gathering and documenting.
winebuff

hexayurt

Postby stack » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:46 am

check out the hexayurts...we brought one last year and were very happy with it. Much less than the trailer/rv option, cooler in the day, and 90% dust free. Did I mention fun to make?
stack

Postby winebuff » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:52 am

Good idea but it is just me. Husband is so over me talking about all this so probably keep it a bit more simple. He is a great guy but will have to do this by myself and I am an idiot when it comes to building things. Will look into it though for sure. Thx
winebuff

Postby golgotha-a-go-go » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:23 am

Hi Winebuff,

Here's an option: rent or buy a used a minivan or cargo van, get a 10X20 carport and cover it all with a tarp. Sleep in van, hang out under carport. This is way condensed, but I can provide more details if you wish. I've done this for many years, works for us.
homo sum, nihil humani a me alienum est, puto...
golgotha-a-go-go

Postby AntiM » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:27 am

ibdave wrote:
winebuff wrote:Man, you guys (and gals) are so dam great! Wonderful ideas to get me excited.

8) 8) 8)

LOL, play nice!
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ibdave » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:11 pm

AntiM wrote:
ibdave wrote:

8) 8) 8)

LOL, play nice!

What?? 50/50 :wink: :wink: :wink:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:31 pm

Costco 10 x 20 carports can be easily set up by one person. You just assemble the roof first, then pick up one side and insert one of the middle legs, then another, then the end legs, and repeat for the other side.

I'd say get a trailer. You can buy plenty of old RVs for $2000 or less but they're not gonna be road reliable for the BM trip. You'll end up spending a bunch more making things safe for an outing way into the middle of nowhere... but a small trailer shouldn't give you any emergencies. Just make sure the wheel bearings are good and greased and the tires aren't super-old and cracked. Lots of tread on the tires means nothing, more trailer tires blow out due to being dried up and cracked on the sidewalls.

A little trailer will give you extra space to carry stuff to the desert... a Costco carport or other tent setup will take up space in your apparently small vehicle.

The trailer will provide you some basic living amenities too. And one of the really big advantages over a tent or other structure is that you have instant accommodations when you arrive... doesn't seem so important until you arrive on the playa in the middle of the night after driving all day long and are really tired. I cant tell you how nice it is to NOT be faced with having to erect a home before you can plop down and rest.

A little trailer will provide superior shelter during a fierce dust storm. Most tents will leave you with an inch of dirt covering absolutely everything you have after a storm. Seriously.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby winebuff » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:08 am

Love the link Antim!
winebuff

Postby winebuff » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:25 am

On my way this morning to go pick up a very cool small vintage trailer that was listed on craigslist for $1,200. It is so dam cool, Hope it works out. Pics to follow on my return. Plus it is my birthday today too :) Life is good! Thx fellow burners.
winebuff

Postby gyre » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:58 am

Try to go for a metal framed trailer, when possible.
Even some traditional box trailers have good frames.
Mid-70s airstreams and older used higher grade aluminum.
gyre

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:46 am

gyre wrote:Mid-70s airstreams and older used higher grade aluminum.

Oh yeah usable Airstreams are everywhere for under $2000...
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Captain Goddammit

Postby gyre » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:58 am

They turn up often enough in this part of the country.
Shorter ones are more rare.
Airstreams aren't the only metal framed trailers though.

Many prefer the aircraft aluminum regardless of cost.

I found a pusher diesel for $3500, though that's a rare deal.
A bus I've been looking at is older, but all aluminum and for scrap value.
gyre

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:09 am

I agree with you 100%... I've about had it with wooden stick 'n' staple RVs of any type myself. I was just reminding you we're talking about what a person can do with a strict low budget. Airstreams are the shiznit, but at least here in the Pacific Northwest, where our contestant hails from, they and all the bitchin' metal-constructed trailers are too freekin' expensive for someone on a $2k budget. Hell yeah they're worth it, but...

On the other hand, older stick-built trailers are virtually free. And they serve a valuable purpose; they teach you the value of all-metal RVs! Lol. And a disposably-cheap old stick trailer will do the job at BM, at least a few times.
Captain Goddammit

Re: Tent. tent trailer or small rv?

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:33 am

winebuff wrote:Q: What do u prefer to sleep in at BM?
A: Virign woman here going for the first time nxt year.

Fixed. ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby DiveDogFLL » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:56 pm

have you see teardrop trailers?

nice option for small vehicles...

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... epage.html

could be built pretty cheaply...

we have 'harbor freight' store w/ knock down trailer starting around $180.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=42708

just watch the total weight...
DiveDogFLL

Postby DiveDogFLL » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:07 pm

btw, has anyone see the playatech furniture in action?

looks pretty nice... reusable too.

http://www.playatech.com/product_list.php

more teardrops:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... index.html
DiveDogFLL

Return to Shelter & Camping