Longboarding to Burning Man from Reno (bad idea, how else?)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Longboarding to BM, good idea or not?

Absolutely not
63%
It could work, plenty could go wrong.
26%
Go for it!
11%

Total votes : 19

Longboarding to Burning Man from Reno (bad idea, how else?)

Postby Apollo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Hello, new to the forums. Have been obsessed with the idea of going to burning man for a long time. My only trouble is I am in the UK. I have no friends in the states so if I were to fly to Reno, I would have no way of getting to the playa!

My friend came up with what sounds like a true adventure of an idea.
I have heard that the playa is roughly 100 miles across the desert from Reno yes? Which means long desert highways. Perfect for longboarding. Google maps tells me that the distance from Reno to burning man can be walked in 2 days roughly. I am confidant I could half this time on a longboard.

We are considering flying to reno for 2010 burn or 2011, and longboarding the distance to Burning Man.

Can anyone offer any advice? Is this a completely misguided and stupid idea? I have no idea how to travel in the states. Where's the best place to start longboarding from if not Reno? Travel is my main obstacle. Please could someone give me some guidance? T_T

**EDIT**

Ok, it's a bad idea. Thanks for the input :)
Other ways of getting there?
Apollo

Postby Elorrum » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:08 pm

somebody is renting a car and bringing all your supplies and water.

it's a two lane highway with no reliable shoulder, posted speed of 70 mph in places. not always flat... up and down as well. Check and see if it's even legal.

and it's the desert.

true adventure alright. Do they have organ donor programs in the u.k. ? You understand how they work do you? I wonder if you can get a visitor organ donor status on an international driver's license.
Elorrum

Postby Apollo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:14 pm

Well this is the kind of information I'm here to find out. Before we get all excited and start working towards this someone has to slap us round the face if required and just say no, this is a bad idea.

So what other modes of transport could we use? You gotta be 25 in the states to rent a car am I right? We won't be old enough.
Apollo

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:16 pm

I thought long boarding was a kind of surfing...

Anyway, during the time around the burn traffic is a lot more than the road is actually designed to bear. Throwing something like this into the mix--with overloaded vehicles tailgating each other--might be counter indicated.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Apollo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Longboarding is a type of surfing but also a type of skating. Just a longer skateboard with faster wheels and looser trucks. Designed for cruising not tricks :)

Well are there any other ways of getting to the burn without renting a car?
Apollo

Postby Playa Tom » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:21 pm

At the very best you would be a traffic hazard and create serious disruption to traffic going to the playa. At worst you could very easily be killed or cause someone else to be killed or injured. There are other ways of getting to Burning Man that will not place you and others in peril.
You are proposing to travel 100 miles in heavy traffic on a narrow highway through harsh country, I admire your quest for adventure but this idea is too dangerous.
Playa Tom

Postby Apollo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:23 pm

Thank you for letting me know. I had no idea of course :)
What are these other ways of getting there?
Apollo

Postby Elorrum » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:31 pm

Apollo, try a ride share. You have time to make some connections with people from your neck of the woods. I'm sure you have several options. The longboard adventure is one you can keep in your pocket and adapt to some other part of the world.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:32 pm

There is the bus. Green Tortiose (sp) they run a camp every year and I belive that they take in a small number of camp members. There is the "everybody is unbelieveably friendly and you'll probably meet someone at the airport who insists you go with him/her/them in his/her/their rental car once he/she/they learns you are a 'virgin' burner" way. And there's arranging to me someone before hand, perhaps you'll meet someone on the board.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:04 pm

Apollo, Elorrum touched on another BIG point to consider: You need to bring supplies for a week in the desert with you. That means shelter, water, food, clothing, booze, etc.
The necessary amount of booze alone would be quite a load on a skateboard!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:11 pm

I think you should do it......a good ski rope and a grappling hook, and, you're there.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:14 pm

I agree with all the above.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Boijoy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:02 pm

I might have to pack my big foam hand w/ an extension bar, just in case I pass any dillholes longboarding on the 447. I can stick it out the passenger window and smack em' on the back of their head while passing by... that is the dumbist shit I've ever heard.. :?
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Apollo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:33 pm

No need to be rude. Maybe Burning Man won't be such a good idea if it's just gonna be full of people cruising past smacking others round the head with a foam hand on a stick.
Apollo

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Relax, never confuse eplaya with the playa. Two very different animals. We're much nicer in person. Supposedly.

The ride share boards get going sometime around June or July, and everyone finds a way. Hang in there, learn to ignore or appreciate what passes for humor here, make some friends. You'll be fine. See you there.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Boijoy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:43 pm

[quote="Apollo"]No need to be rude. Maybe Burning Man won't be such a good idea if it's just gonna be full of people cruising past smacking others round the head with a foam hand on a stick.[/quote]

:lol: Thats EXACTLY the kind of place Burning Man is.. and watch out for Santa with a giant paddle also. He will whip your ass hard just because your a virgin. :lol:
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby Boijoy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:44 pm

hey!!! who broke my bbc's?? and JUST when I started looking like I knew what I was doing.. sheesh.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby bdeywoo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Bad idea? NO WAY, just a bit premature. I actually have plans to do something along the same lines from Reno on foot......some year. Really though that is NOT the way you want to go to the playa for the first time. IMO, you have enough to worry about just making the decision to come the first year without all the logistics of this kind of an adventure.

The biggest thing to worry about is there are 3 main gaps to civilization you will encounter, 2 of which are more than a marathon apart. You would need rations of water and food to get your through those distances while the temp's will be in the 100's.

If one were to take on a challenge like this, it would be advised to know the area prior to doing it. I live in Reno and trek long distances often and you do not want to bo out on that highway, in toruble and alone. Yes you will probably have thousands of cars passing you that "may" stop and help but dont count on it.

Going a 100 miles to get there is not that big a deal, until you factor in getting there is less than half the battle. You are going to walk a LOT at BRC, will you want to do so after making that large trek? If you have never done that type of distance, you cant imagine how crappy your body is going to feel. No matter how "easy" you take it a 100 miles is.....well 100 freaking miles that the body does not see often under its own power.

The best option(s)
Rent a vehicle in Reno...you have to haul your crap there. You cant walk/board everything you need for the week.

Use the rideshare board starting in June-ish

Frequent this board and you WILL find someone who can take you from Reno, and if on here frequently they probably will already be a friend.

Go to Twin Cities Surplus store after you land with gas money in hand and you'll make it there.
bdeywoo

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:18 pm

bdeywoo wrote:Yes you will probably have thousands of cars passing you that "may" stop and help but dont count on it.

Yes, we do get the occasional "I was pulled off 447 and no burners stopped to help me--you're not really burners" thread in here. And actually we are told not to stop on 447. It has soft shoulders and would be rescuers can end up as casualities.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Elliot » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:14 pm

:D
I had a good experience with the (un?)official ride-share location at the Save Mart store on Keystone Street (west end of Reno). I stopped to buy supplies, and also gained two Italians who needed a ride to BRC. They had flown to San Francisco and taken a bus to Reno.

Of course, it helps that I drive a converted school bus. If those of us who have such extra space all stop at the ride-share spots, we might put the highway-skate-board industry out of business.
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Sail Man » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:26 am

ygmir wrote:I think you should do it......a good ski rope and a grappling hook, and, you're there.........

:lol: Trying to drum up a little business eh Ygmir :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

3 options

Postby greenthumb85 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:13 pm

If you have someone bringing your supplies and shelter in for you, then I suggest sky diving in, or if you really want to longboard, then make the investment in a gas powered mountain board, then you can ride it around the playa! But you still need someone to bring all your food, water, and shelter!

Don't go unprepared and expect people to take care of you, that is [b]NOT[/b] what burning man is about! I was very mad at my friend when he treated burning man that way, makes stress and work for all those around you when you don't prepare properly! Plan, Plan, PLAN! And be smart, this is all about radical self reliance and survival in a harsh and unforgiving environment!!!

If all else fails, get on craigslist and find a ride share... That's how I made it last year.
Experience art naked!
greenthumb85

Postby Mojojita » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Several of my camp members are serious longboarders. The best answer I can give you is OH HELL NO. There are so many reasons this is a bad idea. Longboarding is a great sport, not great for long distance transport, especially out there. I can't over emphasize how dangerous the road is - drivers are excited, anxious, WAY over tired, hung over, etc on a narrow two lane populated by people in rented RV's that often don't have a clue how to drive safely.
Mojojita

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Charles Darwin and I say "Go for it!"
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby peachandpapa » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:01 pm

I have flown into Reno twice and both times hooked-up with people renting a car/SUV and got a ride. There is also a bus that leaves once or twice a day from the airport to the Playa. Reno airport is very Burner friendly!
Go Forth and Tell the Story...
peachandpapa

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Peach's Verdant Camp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:04 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Charles Darwin and I say "Go for it!"

It's mostly downhill!

You'll be very first person in history to even try this!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:22 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Charles Darwin and I say "Go for it!"

I can help with the chase car.

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:00 am

Ah...I love it when I chortle outloud, and all my co-workers demand to know why.
C.f.M.

Postby AntiM » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:14 am

peachandpapa wrote:I have flown into Reno twice and both times hooked-up with people renting a car/SUV and got a ride. There is also a bus that leaves once or twice a day from the airport to the Playa. Reno airport is very Burner friendly!

That bus requires reserving a spot, and the last I heard it has to pick up elsewhere. Something to do with airport licensing and permits?

Look up the BioBus. There is NOT a bus you can just get on and go to the playa!!!
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:17 am

AntiM wrote:
peachandpapa wrote:I have flown into Reno twice and both times hooked-up with people renting a car/SUV and got a ride. There is also a bus that leaves once or twice a day from the airport to the Playa. Reno airport is very Burner friendly!

That bus requires reserving a spot, and the last I heard it has to pick up elsewhere. Something to do with airport licensing and permits?

Look up the BioBus. There is NOT a bus you can just get on and go to the playa!!!

I was wondering - people are telling me just to get to the airport and hitch a ride, but I am SO uncomfortable with that. So far, all the people I know I could ride back and forth with are leaving on Sunday, and I do not want to miss Sunday night.
C.f.M.

Next

Return to Transportation