Bike Security

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Postby penguin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Elliot wrote::D
Penguin, the fellow would quickly see that there is no chain. The point of this idea is to have him struggle with the shifters for a while, expecting to find a faster gear if he just keeps trying.
:D

True, true, but if we were to do this on the playa, I'd say that you'd probably be able to find a person or two who'd be in a "state" to not notice the missing chain -- heck, you'd probably be able to find a person or two who'd hop onto an exercise bike and try and ride off out there...

But, how about the leave the chain on, but file off all but say 2 or 3 teeth on the front sprocket?

Hmmm, or how about attaching a drogue chute that deploys after 50-100 feet?

I would say something about adding a Burmese tiger trap to the equation, but that'd probably be too dangerous... :oops:

You are right though, it is good brain exercise. :)
http://www.playafire.com <- my BM resource links - got any I can add?
penguin

Burning Since: 2009

Postby gyre » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:17 pm

What would happen if you locked the pedals so they wouldn't spin?
gyre

Postby Token » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:39 pm

For entertainment value, simplicity is key.

Colapsible seat post with say a 20# spring. Firm enough to not notice yet pleasantly uncomfortable to discover.

Steering bars held fast with magnets. At first look it is all fine.

Tires filled with mortar, resin or similar hardening material with irregular shape, then partially inflated. Could be painful.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby AntiM » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:48 am

gyre wrote:What would happen if you locked the pedals so they wouldn't spin?

I know this one... we had a campmate want a bike immediately after we got parked, and Larry takes off the pedals and turns the handlebars to carry all the bikes on the rack. They didn't want to wait for Larry, so they grabbed the pedals and put them on wrong, switched sides i think. The bikes was rideable until the pedals finally sheared and stripped out the crank arms. Getting new parts would be more than the bike is worth, although it was a great little playa bike.

So locking the pedals only fucks up the bike. It can be ridden far enough that the rider may not even notice the problem.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sham » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:27 am

I stood out on Evolution and offered 40 bike locks that I brought with me to passersby. Some were greatful and others acted like I was trying to sell them a life insurance policy. I could see that the bike didn't have a lock on it, but still they continued without one.
Instead of trying to electrocute or gas someone stealing a bike, why not just lock it up and be done with it?
Sham

Postby unjonharley » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:28 am

Couple of those cheap window alarms..

Put three on the bike.. Then attach a different length wire to each magnet side.. As the bike rolls away the alarms get louder.. Then comes the spot light and bull horn..

I had a bike frame brake at the welds.. I could stick it together and it would stand by it's self.. If you grabbed it, It would fall apart.. My kid went to move it.. The look on his face was priceless..
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:48 am

Shambala wrote:I stood out on Evolution and offered 40 bike locks that I brought with me to passersby. Some were greatful and others acted like I was trying to sell them a life insurance policy. I could see that the bike didn't have a lock on it, but still they continued without one.
Instead of trying to electrocute or gas someone stealing a bike, why not just lock it up and be done with it?

Have you always been a wet blanket?
unjonharley

Postby Sham » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:29 am

unjonharley wrote:
Shambala wrote:I stood out on Evolution and offered 40 bike locks that I brought with me to passersby. Some were greatful and others acted like I was trying to sell them a life insurance policy. I could see that the bike didn't have a lock on it, but still they continued without one.

Have you always been a wet blanket?

Well, no! I set up this elaborate alarm system on my first car many years ago and it would do everything to a would be thief short of gassing them. I had that car for 6 years and to my dissapointment, no one ever tried to steal it.
I will try to be more of a conformist at BM and boobie trap my bike so if it's moved without me it will send a 50,000 volt shock through the handle bars. Fuck those dirty, freeloading hippies! :D
Sham

Postby gyre » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:26 am

Giving away locks seems like a pretty productive thing to do.

Call me if you want wholesale.
gyre

Postby EB » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:16 pm

Shambala wrote:I stood out on Evolution and offered 40 bike locks that I brought with me to passersby.

Best. Gift idea. Ever.

Our camp had two bikes stolen from Center Camp Cafe and as much as we tried to put it past us (it happened Monday afternoon) it was a dark cloud the rest of the week.

Gyre, I'll gladly donate to a wholesale purchase of cheap-o bike locks... or I'll start the fund if you tell me where to buy the locks.

Shambala, did you have any plans to re-collect the locks at the end of the week or was it fire-and-forget? I'm thinking a removable tag on each one which says when you're done with it for the week, drop it off at XYZ CAMP with the combo taped to it. Kind of a Green Bike program for locks.

Also: This is a great idea to bring up in the "What's a good playa gift?" threads for next year.
Irony. You're soaking in it.
EB

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Jerk Camp

Postby unjonharley » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:51 pm

The Dollar Tree had cheap locks at one time..So they must be out there..

I used them to lock the quick release seats and carriers on the bikes..
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:11 pm

I have a wholesale account here in Memphis.
I can look into dropshipping.
Let me know what kind of locks you have in mind.
Some of the cheaper chinese stuff retails for less than my cost on the better locks, even chinese.

I don't know if it would be possible, but I can look into a product donation, if people wouldn't find it too commercial for a lock company to give them away.
gyre

Postby EB » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:02 pm

I'm not familiar with dropshipping is but I was just thinking the cheapest, chinese lock in bulk -- but I have no idea how much that is.

As far as the company give-away, that's a tough one.

One would assume the company giving the product away would want a quid pro quo in some form or why give them away?

But if the company were to give them to you and you were to give them away as a gift for free (sans sales pitch, etc) then I see no difference between that and when I give away name brand alcohol or snacks or whatever.

What kind of cost are we talking here? For say, 200 cable locks?
Irony. You're soaking in it.
EB

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Jerk Camp

Postby Elorrum » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:44 pm

my understanding of drop ship means the end user gets it delivered to them by the manufacturer or warehouse, with the product bypassing delivery to the location of the person or business where the product was paid for.

Gyre, I think the non-spinning pedals might be interesting. The pedal platform would only be horizontal in two positions of the rotation. A rider's foot would get fouled up, or tipped off somehow. Offhand I can't really imagine what that would be like (usually I can summon up an "oh, yeah, I know what that bike accident is like", relative to bad kid experimental bike mechanics, and other bike experiences) Do they still make what we called rat catcher pedals, the ten speed pedals with the the serated edges?
Elorrum

Postby Elliot » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:12 pm

Elorrum, we have Shark Bite pedals now -- bigger and sharper serrations!

AntiM, I am happy to report that it is not possible to swap pedals left for right. At least not without something like an hydraulic press, or at least a quite large sledge-hammer. I even tried just now to put a small-thread pedal in a large-thread crank, but that was such a sloppy fit that no sane person would try to ride it. And if you tried, you would get maybe two revolutions before the pedals fell on the ground. So we are still looking for the technical details of that amusing mystery.

Pedals resisting turning is a rather common Playa problem, but we could certainly perfect this phenomenon with a couple of inches of bailing wire. :lol:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby penguin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Actually Elliot, your comment about "pedals resisting turning" as a common playa problem made a light-bulb (a dim one mind you) go off.

After about 2 days this year the kick-stand on my wifes bike decided to become very "difficult" -- ie., by the last day you almost had to beat it with a hammer to go up.

So, on that note, how about just making a non folding (ie., welded) kick stand and just watch them stub their toe trying to get it up. Or, for a more confusing solution mount two kick stands (one on each side)?
penguin

Postby gyre » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:24 pm

EB wrote:I'm not familiar with dropshipping is but I was just thinking the cheapest, chinese lock in bulk -- but I have no idea how much that is.

As far as the company give-away, that's a tough one.

One would assume the company giving the product away would want a quid pro quo in some form or why give them away?

But if the company were to give them to you and you were to give them away as a gift for free (sans sales pitch, etc) then I see no difference between that and when I give away name brand alcohol or snacks or whatever.

What kind of cost are we talking here? For say, 200 cable locks?

I'll have to get a quote on that.
That quantity might get very negotiable with cheaper locks.
If you find any part numbers in particular, email me.
gyre

Postby gyre » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:38 pm

http://www.taylorsecurity.com/Padlocks- ... entId=1395
I found this U-lock $8.50 in small quantities.
gyre

Postby Sham » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:07 pm

This is the type of lock that I bring to give away. I would not want to use it on my bike in a regular city, but they are pretty secure. I was not able yank or force them open. In answer to the question about wanting them back---NO, I give them for keeps.

Sham

Postby Elliot » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:02 pm

Penguin, the kick stand is a fabulous idea! And so easy to do!

Then, the DeLuxe model would not be welded, but would have a spring that pops it right back out. No end to the fun!

By the way, the fix for the problem on your wife's bike is a drop or three of oil.

Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby penguin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:15 pm

Elliot wrote:By the way, the fix for the problem on your wife's bike is a drop or three of oil. :D

Yes, a splendid way to fix the problem, however, we were lacking one key ingredient... :oops:
penguin

Postby AntiM » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:13 am

Elliot wrote::D

AntiM, I am happy to report that it is not possible to swap pedals left for right. At least not without something like an hydraulic press, or at least a quite large sledge-hammer. I even tried just now to put a small-thread pedal in a large-thread crank, but that was such a sloppy fit that no sane person would try to ride it. And if you tried, you would get maybe two revolutions before the pedals fell on the ground. So we are still looking for the technical details of that amusing mystery.

Apparently a large crescent wrench and a determined campmate will force the pedals in enough to ride a day. Larry was able to force them back out, but the crank and the pedal were cross-threaded, completely ruined.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elliot » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:40 am

Wow. That's the answer then; determination! Industrial strength determination! That is certainly one for the record book. Thanks, AntiM -- good story!

Penguin, next time try something that resembles oil. You might be surprised what will get the job done, like maybe sunscreen lotion. Or the classic: pull a few drops out of your car engine with the dip stick.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Elorrum » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:50 am

I don't know how long I spent trying to attach pedals one time when I noticed the letters L and R stamped on the ends of the pedals....

I like the idea of the collapsing frame. Nothing rideable, just it falls to pieces when someone grabs the handlebars or seat. If the brazed connectors were just slip fitted it would make a noodly bike.
Elorrum

Postby penguin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:10 pm

Elorrum wrote:I like the idea of the collapsing frame. Nothing rideable, just it falls to pieces when someone grabs the handlebars or seat. If the brazed connectors were just slip fitted it would make a noodly bike.

Or maybe rather that just cutting it so it collapses you could cut short pieces out of strategic places in the frame and replace the missing section with a length of spring. You make the spring strong enough so it'd do fine if you walked the bike, but as soon as someone jumped on it would bend every which way in a number of places. :)
penguin

Postby Charlie_in_OC » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:33 pm

Love this thread! :lol:

Our "loaner" bike this year was a $20 Huffy mountain bike with a large bottom bracket. I pulled a crank spindle, drilled a hole thru the inner portion of the spindle and one thru the bottom bracket. From my pack-rat box I found a clock type spring ( think it was from a old chop saw to help push the saw back up ) one end into the bottom bracket and one end into the crank spindle.

You could get 7 - 8 revolutions before it became impossible to pedal any further..... the real fun was wathcing someone struggle to pedal only to be going slower.

I only got to witness one ride off attempt but watching the feet slip off the pedals and watching the pedals spin backwards as the the spring unwound was priceless.
"Do not follow where the path may lead; go instead, where there is no
path and leave a trail of clothes." - Pastor Philip
Charlie_in_OC

Postby Elliot » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:46 pm

Excellent! Now I'll waste the rest of the day looking for a suitable spring!

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Elorrum » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:21 pm

Charlie!!! You are our prophet, proof of parallel evolution.

Elliot, did you by any chance have a brother you were separated from at birth?
Elorrum

Postby Elorrum » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:27 pm

penguin... love the spring frame idea. something like garage door springs with tape around them, or a flexible tube.
Elorrum

Postby Elliot » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Wow, I have a pair of garage door springs that would make perfect "frame tubes". Covered with fur or other decoration, that ought to work!

ImageImageImage
Elliot

PreviousNext

Return to Transportation