Line of motorcoaches hiding teepees

Line of motorcoaches hiding teepees

Postby rootrunner » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:16 pm

What was up with the row of 3-4 bigass motorcoaches parked end to end down 5:30 near esplanade? Somebody had a camp with several awesome teepees, but after Monday you couldn't see them for the RV barricade! :(
rootrunner
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:30 pm
Location: Texas

Postby ibdave » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:01 am

It might have been a film crew from Germany. What was told to me was this..


"I do know that there was a film crew from German Public Television - ARD- they had agreements with the ORG, ARTery, several artists and a couple of theme camps to document the Festival."


I think this is the same Teepee's I saw also..
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
User avatar
ibdave
 
Posts: 3524
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:09 pm
Burning Since: 1998

Postby pinemom » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:24 am

What i wanted to know was who was at the corner of A and 3:00 portal with just a bunch of RV's no camp....just RV's.
Rumor has it it was Shadow...our placers camp...so much for more interactivity at 3:00 Berlin!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
User avatar
pinemom
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Booby Bar 2007-2011

Postby StevenGoodman » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:46 am

pinemom wrote:What i wanted to know was who was at the corner of A and 3:00 portal with just a bunch of RV's no camp....just RV's.
Rumor has it it was Shadow...our placers camp...so much for more interactivity at 3:00 Berlin!


It was the back of a camp facing into the 3:00 Plaza. I forget the name of the camp, but I could look it up.

This always happens in that spot, the camp frontage is onto the Plaza, and "A" street gets the back of the camp. It was the same on the other side of 3:00.

I think they should increase the distance between "A" and "B" to help mitigate this.

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
User avatar
StevenGoodman
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:52 am
Location: Top Secret - be eaten after entering

Postby pinemom » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:42 pm

ya...whadda helped our placement too!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
User avatar
pinemom
 
Posts: 8246
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:36 am
Location: Booby Bar 2007-2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:37 pm

StevenGoodman wrote:
I think they should increase the distance between "A" and "B" to help mitigate this.


OooooooOOOOOOOooo! Like 2008!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37437
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Line of motorcoaches hiding teepees

Postby laura* » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:20 pm

rootrunner wrote:What was up with the row of 3-4 bigass motorcoaches parked end to end down 5:30 near esplanade?


Do you perhaps mean 5:00 near Esplanade? The 5:30 radial didn't go all the way to Esplanade - 5:30 merged with Evolution between Adapt and Biology.

Speaking of RV camps, along (I think) Biology someplace around 8:00 there were 20 or so near identical RVs parked side by side.
laura*
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:12 pm

Re: Line of motorcoaches hiding teepees

Postby unjonharley » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:11 am

[/quote]
Speaking of RV camps, along (I think) Biology someplace around 8:00 there were 20 or so near identical RVs parked side by side.[/quote]


Gee they must have been a bunch of friends hanging togeather..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8808
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:53 am

Bitching about RVs at Burning Man is so five years ago.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
User avatar
Captain Goddammit
 
Posts: 4506
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:37 am

If I had an impressive tee-pee, I wouldn't hide it.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16324
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:14 am

I really get tired of non-camp people wandering into camp. Privacy and "down time"--keep me from eating my young before the end of the week. Teepees were the result of decades (centuries?) of trial and error and are very good tents if you know how to use them. What I'm saying is that there are real reasons to use a teepee beside impressing others, and that there are real reasons that you might not want to have them attracting too much attention.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37437
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:20 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I really get tired of non-camp people wandering into camp. Privacy and "down time"--keep me from eating my young before the end of the week. Teepees were the result of decades (centuries?) of trial and error and are very good tents if you know how to use them. What I'm saying is that there are real reasons to use a teepee beside impressing others, and that there are real reasons that you might not want to have them attracting too much attention.


the rv's might make some what of a wind break..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8808
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby bigbluedoggy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:01 pm

We are one of the camps that ARD was going to document, but we saw them only a couple of times and so far I've had no reply to my email asking how their project came out. *Shrug*

We got promoted to Esplanade this year and we had some concerns about heavy random traffic, especially being on the portal corner. That's why we put up the lovely yellow fence all the way around our camp. I have to say, we had minimal invasive traffic in our private areas and it was great to be able to close off our lounge when we we wanted to. Our neighbors thought our fence was a bit "offputting" but for the most part we were glad we had it and we did not suffer for lack of crowds.
.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
User avatar
bigbluedoggy
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:25 am
Location: Pasadena / Joshua Tree, CA
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:10 am

unjonharley wrote:the rv's might make some what of a wind break..


No doubt. That's how the Ranger camp was arranged at 3:00 plaza.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16324
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:42 am

bigbluedoggy wrote: I have to say, we had minimal invasive traffic in our private areas.



I'm sorry, Better luck next year..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8808
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:42 am

unjonharley wrote:
bigbluedoggy wrote: I have to say, we had minimal invasive traffic in our private areas.



I'm sorry, Better luck next year..



hahaha, you beat me to that one.........giggling........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25992
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Stickygreen » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:03 pm

good fences make for good neighbors




bigbluedoggy wrote:We are one of the camps that ARD was going to document, but we saw them only a couple of times and so far I've had no reply to my email asking how their project came out. *Shrug*

We got promoted to Esplanade this year and we had some concerns about heavy random traffic, especially being on the portal corner. That's why we put up the lovely yellow fence all the way around our camp. I have to say, we had minimal invasive traffic in our private areas and it was great to be able to close off our lounge when we we wanted to. Our neighbors thought our fence was a bit "offputting" but for the most part we were glad we had it and we did not suffer for lack of crowds.
.
)'(
User avatar
Stickygreen
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Vancouver

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Stickygreen wrote:good fences make for good neighbors


we have a roll of trash fence..(HD) cut to 18 inches makes 200 feet.. works for me
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8808
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Are you sure the RV line wasn't on the other side of the Playa hiding Tee Pees, cause on the 8:30 block we had RV's from the A St.- D no camps no nothing for 4 blocks just Dark freacking RV's avoided that street like the plague at night - It was scary!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:03 pm
Location: SURF CAPITAL OF THE WORLD HALEIWA HI

Postby lemur » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:56 am

that camp was likely red lightning.. they had many teepees this year.
Don't link to anything here!
User avatar
lemur
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Madagascar
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:45 am

unjonharley wrote:
Stickygreen wrote:good fences make for good neighbors


we have a roll of trash fence..(HD) cut to 18 inches makes 200 feet.. works for me


Yeah but that's not to keep people out of your camp, it's to hold most of the trash in! :)
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
User avatar
Captain Goddammit
 
Posts: 4506
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Token » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:43 am

This started becoming more pronounced when the block size was reduced and all the extra streets added. Back when F street was the end of the city the blocks were double deep.

Now placed camps on letter streets and Esplanade often have frontage on both sides of the block, leaving the mountain side frontage as the default RV parking spot.

We had 50 x 150 on A and B and had to make a choice which street to use as frontage. It was A, which left our B side as parking and RVs.

A street in general was one sided in our neighborhood around 4:00 to 5:00.

I would say this be one of them unintended consequences of our Metropolis.
User avatar
Token
 
Posts: 2302
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Location: Gold Country, CA
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:54 am

ygmir wrote:
unjonharley wrote:
bigbluedoggy wrote: I have to say, we had minimal invasive traffic in our private areas.



I'm sorry, Better luck next year..



hahaha, you beat me to that one.........giggling........


Too bad you don't have an impressive tee-pee. :(
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16324
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Janet Planet » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:01 pm

That was along 5:00 between Adapt and the Esplanade. I walked by it a lot since it was around the corner from our camp. I thought it was rich with hilarious irony: Circle the wagons! I kept meaning to take pictures but when I got around to it some of the RVs had left, ruining the effect.
User avatar
Janet Planet
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:12 pm
Location: Tucson
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Grandma Frum's Painful Candy

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:04 pm

Pre event we at Stag Camp decided to make 8:30 our frontage. Then the wind came and we promptly decided to make F our frontage. Our line of RV's was an excellent wind break and dust catcher. We know lines of RV"s suck but when the wind comes a ripping across the plane they make a damn good wind break. There was no way we were going to suffer the full force of the wind more than we needed to. I'm sure many camps do the same thing to the bane of RV haters everywhere.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
User avatar
motskyroonmatick
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 am
Location: Aurora Oregon
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:13 pm

The curious visitors may be free to walk all the way around.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16324
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996


Return to 2009 Theme Camps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests