Whose Brilliant Idea Was it to Poop in a Bucket @BM

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby Elorrum » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:11 am

o.k. the dog shame... that does make sense. It is an activity that makes one vulnerable to attack. The alpha animal probably has less concern about this, but if you are way down in the order, I'd think it would be something more safely done in a private place. And yes, not shitting where you sleep is something many other animals conform to, not totally a cultural thing. Sleep is a very vulnerable state, and having your sleeping, baby hiding space, marked by strong odors would be lethal.

I guess when you get to the tippy top of the food chain (some feel more tippy top than others, don't you agree?) you can put a bucket outside your tent and feel absolutely safe, and even talk on the phone at the same time.

lol C.F.M. potties marked with blue blinking lights....
Elorrum

Postby littleflower » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:54 am

Elorrum wrote:o.k. the dog shame... that does make sense. It is an activity that makes one vulnerable to attack. The alpha animal probably has less concern about this, but if you are way down in the order, I'd think it would be something more safely done in a private place. And yes, not shitting where you sleep is something many other animals conform to, not totally a cultural thing. Sleep is a very vulnerable state, and having your sleeping, baby hiding space, marked by strong odors would be lethal.

I guess when you get to the tippy top of the food chain (some feel more tippy top than others, don't you agree?) you can put a bucket outside your tent and feel absolutely safe, and even talk on the phone at the same time..

perhaps ... but why run from your poo, like this dog does? also, he's safer out in the open than in a forest, is he not?

he does like to smell other dog's droppings, however.

who made the smell rules, anyhow? who says a rose smells better than a pile of shit? maybe that has been forced on us through cultural evolution, as well. how do we know that ancient man did not sniff other people's poop, in order to identify them or something?
littleflower

Postby Elorrum » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:27 am

There is an Icelandic proverb which I like, but have never had occasion to use (until now?) "A man likes the smell of his own farts."

I am thinking that an individual is more visable to attackers out in the open in a vulnerable state, but also can see who is coming up on them, while remaining vigilant. a question of comfort I suppose. Given the opportunity for "cover" in vegetation or landscape, I think the inclination is to hide. For dogs with such a keen sense of smell, being hidden is not only a visual condition. perhaps this is why the dog runs as soon as he is done. Like I know why dogs do anything.. ha ha ha ha
Elorrum

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:32 am

Elorrum wrote:There is an Icelandic proverb which I like, but have never had occasion to use (until now?) "A man likes the smell of his own farts."

I am thinking that an individual is more visable to attackers out in the open in a vulnerable state, but also can see who is coming up on them, while remaining vigilant. a question of comfort I suppose. Given the opportunity for "cover" in vegetation or landscape, I think the inclination is to hide. For dogs with such a keen sense of smell, being hidden is not only a visual condition. perhaps this is why the dog runs as soon as he is done. Like I know why dogs do anything.. ha ha ha ha

we males are hard to figure out..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby littleflower » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:52 am

:lol: :lol: it is interesting to wonder how much ancient man was like our animal friends ... i s'pose we could go back, too, as dougly has suggested ...

as for ygmir, i can't really see him smelling anyone's poop ... but licking himself .... :lol:
littleflower

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:11 am

*donning Yoga outfit*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gyre » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:36 am

littleflower wrote:
Elorrum wrote:o.k. the dog shame... that does make sense. It is an activity that makes one vulnerable to attack. The alpha animal probably has less concern about this, but if you are way down in the order, I'd think it would be something more safely done in a private place. And yes, not shitting where you sleep is something many other animals conform to, not totally a cultural thing. Sleep is a very vulnerable state, and having your sleeping, baby hiding space, marked by strong odors would be lethal.

I guess when you get to the tippy top of the food chain (some feel more tippy top than others, don't you agree?) you can put a bucket outside your tent and feel absolutely safe, and even talk on the phone at the same time..

perhaps ... but why run from your poo, like this dog does? also, he's safer out in the open than in a forest, is he not?

he does like to smell other dog's droppings, however.

who made the smell rules, anyhow? who says a rose smells better than a pile of shit? maybe that has been forced on us through cultural evolution, as well. how do we know that ancient man did not sniff other people's poop, in order to identify them or something?

This has actually been studied.
Basic smells seem to be an innate response.
Smell is one of the more direct senses, as compared to vision which requires interpretation.

Some are obviously acquired cultural tastes.
gyre

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:50 am

I LOVE the smell that a dead skunk leaves behind, after being smashed under a tire.

I usually slow down, roll down my windows, and enjoy.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:40 pm

DoriumLux wrote:
Elorrum wrote:"I find it interesting that bodily functions of elimination are so taboo. I guess there is the survival factor of surviving better if you don't come in to contact with others bodily waste....Did people who naturally avoided even seeing other people eliminate survive so much better have it evolve in to people naturally being disgusted by others bodily functions? I don't know. For something we do so much it sure is a silenced subject."

Yeah, Motskyroonmatick, good points. Natural selection for a trait I think requires that trait to allow an individual to survive to procreate with greater success than one who does not possess the trait. Shame I think is a much much much more recent phenomenon, perhaps more of a subject for cultural evolution than biological. Most bodily functions have a taboo associated with them when there are excreted materials involved, yes? Why? I don't think hygiene accounts totally for that. It's been too long since I took anthropology... I bet Margaret Meade had an answer for you. probably based in religion, male female social politics... and then hygiene, how recent is that a development? ... people who shit in buckets didn't get as sick as those who shit in their caves?

It's silly to assume that people shat in their living quaters. Many finds in the archeological record find that copperlites were not "deposited" near sleeping areas or places where people would eat even in the archaic era. Even in caves. The Aztecs even had very complex methods of shit recycling and removal. Let's all remember, shit smells and I'm pretty sure that shit being a bad smell probably crosses cultural bounds. However, whether or someone is embarrassed to alleviate themselves in front of other people is purely based on enculturation.

"A rose by any other name, would still smell as sweet."

"A turd dropped by a caveman still smells like shit"
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Sail Man » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Monkeypoo wrote:Congrats Karine! Lovely story!

And now back to the poop bucket. What I am wondering is did
the girl (or anybody) in that camp empty the bucket each day?
or did they let it get all hot and putriud and smelly? Cuz that
would be really stinky gross for other burners to be walking by,
get a nasty whiff of a bucket of ammoniated pee and steamers.
*shudders*

:lol: How true
And coming from you
Monkeypoo

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Sail Man » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:51 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I LOVE the smell that a dead skunk leaves behind, after being smashed under a tire.

I usually slow down, roll down my windows, and enjoy.

When I was stationed in northern cali, there was some weed available not that I had any personal experience with, mind you :wink: that we called skunk weed and it had that same freshly squished skunk road kill smell. To this day I still enjoy the smell of skunk in the morning. It smells of....................victory :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby unjonharley » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:02 pm

you may think your shit don't stink..

but your farts gave you away..
unjonharley

Postby Oldguy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:05 pm

I had a similar cultural shock in the army. Our barracks latrine had no stalls. Just a line of commodes on one wall and a line of piss troughs on the opposite wall. The showers and sinks were separate.

I was em-bare-assed. I usually tried to get in and out of there first and quickly, or else waited till room was empty.

I hear in Europe there are pissers right on the street but with short walls for privacy. And in Asia bathrooms only have holes in the tiled floor to squat over... I've heard stories where native peoples would stand on regular toilet seats and squat.

Indoor toilets are really new, considering. My grandmother still had a two-holer outhouse in the fifties until the city had her build an indoor bathroom. She had her own well and wasn't hooked up to city water and sewage till then... A visit to the bluerooms was like a visit to grandma's to me.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:52 pm

That squatting position is how we are supposed to ahve evolved. People say that it does a whole lot to eliminate constipation. I'll never have the opportunity to test this hypothesis.

Actually, worrying about asian toilets is one of hte barriers I have to think aobut before going there.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:47 pm

I've worked in multi-cultural workplaces, where it is wise to check for footprints on the seat.
Elorrum

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:26 pm

I remember when there were footprints on all of the seats at Burning Man,
because that was the only way to keep from sitting directly on the big brown pile in the middle.

Maybe someone should have told the girl with the bucket that things have improved since then ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:39 am

Many other countries - including "civilized" ones, have the hole in the ground bathrooms.

I remember a stop in Italy, my traveling partners wouldn't use the loo there, because it was a hole in the ground - one of the nicest ones I've seen (I've seen quite a few in my journies...), but they refused.

From what I've read, it is better for bowel movements. I forget all exactly why...
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby unjonharley » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:50 am

aah the open bin jo's and the board covered sewers of Japan..

in the fog we didn't need radar to find port.. just follow our nose..
unjonharley

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:18 pm

Well so much for the highlights of BM 2009
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:45 am

Where is this from???

((Cassy got hit with a bucket of shit..

And the band played on))

It has been stuck in my head from childhood
unjonharley

Postby Artemis » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:13 am

Cassie Gaines - Lynard Skynard? There's a song narrating history of LS that includes some lines pretty similar to that....

but thinking that's too recent...
Artemis

Postby goathead » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:21 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:Well so much for the highlights of BM 2009

Don't you wish.
But then I tell people they probably should not go also.

If it brings you any comfort, then yep all it was was poop in a bucket and a BJ for lunch.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:30 am

Artemis wrote:Cassie Gaines - Lynard Skynard? There's a song narrating history of LS that includes some lines pretty similar to that....

but thinking that's too recent...

maybe a ballpark song?? that would be 1920's..

i got it from my old man.. he didn't talk much.. would bust into short songs like..shoe shitty shoe..
unjonharley

Postby misfit » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:39 am

>>>>And the band played on<<<<

ball of confusion - love and rockets
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:15 am

A drunk gets up from the bar and heads for the bathroom.

A few minutes later, a loud, blood curdling scream is heard
coming from the bathroom.

A few minutes after that, another loud scream reverberates
through the bar.

The bartender goes into the bathroom to investigate why the
drunk is screaming.

What's all the screaming about in there?" he yells. "You're
scaring my customers!"

"I'm just sitting here on the toilet," slurs the drunk,
"and every time I try to flush, something comes up and squeezes the hell out of my nuts."

The bartender opens the door, looks in, and says,
"You f***ing idiot!
You're sitting on the mop bucket!"
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Karlene » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:17 am

How long did the blow job last? Well, I'm not sure I caught it at the beginning, things had progresses quite a ways before we ALL noticed this going on. As long as it takes I guess. At first I was still on the previous night's shrooms.....
Karlene

Postby Elorrum » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:50 pm

"I danced with the girl with the strawberry hair and the band played on..." It starts with a character Casey, but I can't remember the beginning. That's the old lyric I couldn't find the whole song. It's a very popular ice cream truck, merry go round tune. I think I had a jack in the box that played that. Thinking of that now, man that is a scary song, lots of tension.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:10 pm

Are you sure it isn't spurious lyrics to "Turkey in the Straw"?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Oldguy wrote: And in Asia bathrooms only have holes in the tiled floor to squat over... I've heard stories where native peoples would stand on regular toilet seats and squat.

They are a bit more than just a hole in the floor and IMHO they are great. There's nothing to touch but yourself and the door, which should be appreciated by the bacteria-phobes in the US. The only exception would be the toilet paper issue. Second, the stalls are *much* more private than our stalls as the doors and walls go floor to ceiling without those gaps for people to look into. However, if you just walk down the row there's bound to be a western style toilet in the last stall, but it might not have a seat.

The funniest one I saw was in Istanbul where the toliet was on a platform because it was added later to the building. Here's a photo of it with my friend who's about 5'3".
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:15 pm

There's a pizza place in the Mission (District, San Francisco) that has a toilet on a platform, a "throne" Scott used to call it. I think there's a bricked up fireplace in there, too.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion