Advertising at Burning Man!?

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:14 pm

Here is the pic I took of it........

We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:35 pm

C'mon guys, when are you going to start changing the text?

"Want Big Sugary Balls? Nueticals."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lhyr » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:07 am

word is that, like the rest of american air, air over black rock city is controlled. now it isn't hard to fax around and get permission to go on a flight (takes about ten minutes presuming you haven't filled out any forms by the time you get to the airport for an unscheduled flight), but THIS MUTHERFUCKER didn't get any kind of clearance to go up into our air with that add, was flying below our designated air space (between 100ft and 300ft, he was around 50 to 80)), and ignored radio chatter from brc's local airport telling him to get his ass out of the sky. word is, dpw called the air force on him, and they ordered him down, took him to jail, and pulled his pilot's license.

don't fuck with dpw. the air force is on their side. who knew?
lhyr

Postby POWERCHAIR » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:43 am

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWERCHAIR

thunderdome advertising

Postby tiffhens » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:31 pm

Yeah, I could have sworn I saw a "Hot Topic" sign on the other side of the Thunderdome sign.
-Tiff
tiffhens

Postby lhyr » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:24 pm

yeah, but that was parody. the difference being: doing something because you're taking a jab at people who take themselves too seriously, and getting everyone a laugh at the same time; versus being paid to drag an ad around the sky by a private company.

hell, gigsville had a PBR billboard, but that was because they like PBR, not 'cause they got cash for it.
lhyr

Fuck Advanced Nutrients

Postby roc dizz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Everyone join in the campaign to email and write letters to Advanced Nutrients and tell them you and everyone you know are boycotting their products. Their advertising goes against EVERYTHING Burning Man stands for!

If we don't make an example of this bullshit we'll be seeing banners flying high all week long! Fuck Advanced Nutrients!

You can email "Big Mike" who runs the advertising division and tell him you and every grower/gardnener you know will be boycotting their products!
bigmike@advancednutrients.com
roc dizz

Postby BitterDan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:49 am

I dunno, I think this is going to backfire on them. Most of the burners who care about the event know that this was a blatantly disrespectful act on the advertisers part and that they probably lost customers because of it. I really hope that the story of the pilot losing his/her license is true because they deserve it.
BitterDan

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:45 am

Suddenly, I'm thinking we all make up bogus companies, print things on our tee-shirts like "This Burner Brought to You By Penzwipe Tissues" so that the actual advertising is swamped by fakes.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby fciron » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:45 pm

I have been fake shilling for a tv show since halfway through the burn. Great minds think alike, Fishy.

...and fools seldom differ.
Strickland Propane is proud to be supplying liquified natural gas explosive power to the art installations of the mega festival Burning Man!!!
fciron

Postby Isotopia » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:26 am

word is, dpw called the air force on him, and they ordered him down, took him to jail, and pulled his pilot's license.

Um, 'word is' as in 'rumor?'

I'm not convinced. Although if the hull number of the aircraft was visible and was reported to the FAA, I imagine they are investigating it and that it's likely that some fine will be forthcoming not to mention a revocation of the pilot's license.

The 'took him to jail' thing sounds... over-the-top.
Isotopia

Postby actiongrl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:50 am

In fact, photos or video that display the craft's tail number would be very much appreciated by the BRC airport and the FAA.
actiongrl

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:54 am

don't fuck with dpw. the air force is on their side. who knew?

well, DUH!

NASA runs center camp, too.

DARPA OWNS gerlach, and Bruno is a Robot.

don't fuck with Burning Man is more like it.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby YouBlowDeadBear » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:30 pm

The airspace over BRC is NOT controlled in the way that you think. There is NO air traffic control below 10,000 feet as there is no reliable radar coverage below that altitude. Although it would be perfectly legal to fly over BRC (As long as it's over 1000' AGL [Above Ground Level]), it's HIGHLY unadvised due to the normally busy skies in the area. It's doubtful that the pilot had his license pulled but there could potentially be "administrative action" taken by the FAA as there are indeed reps of the FAA there (On a sidenote, the airport got an official designator this year; NV88 & the FAA has high praise for the way the airport is run.). The reason being that "each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight." This includes yourself, your aircraft, weather, route of flight, and potential hazards enroute. I don't know if there was a NOTAM (Notice To Airmen) posted for BM this year, but the guidelines for flying around BRC are no closely guarded secret and the pilot was flying in the reverse direction of the general pattern for viewing the city... But again, they are not regulations, just BM airport guidelines.

I didn't notice any other aircraft flying around at the time but I would chock most of that up to the unfavorable flying conditions at the time- Which amazed me that this guy would try to pull a huge banner like that in a little Robinson R-22 during wind and dust like that. Balls of steel or a head full of shit? You decide.
"That's going to go in there?!?!?!"
"Meat hug."
YouBlowDeadBear

Postby advancedburning » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:58 pm

I came across this post on another forum from the president of Advanced Nutrients:

Subject Line: Spectacular Burning Man Mistake

Hey- I made a spectacular mistake and I’m sorry.
It’s not often I have to write a letter like this. At Burning Man this year I made a decision to fly the Advanced Nutrients Bud Banner.
It was a mistake to do it and I humbly apologize for that. The last thing I wanted to do was interfere with the vibe that was happening there.
As CEO of Advanced Nutrients I take full responsibility and the decision to fly the banner at Burning Man lays squarely on my shoulders alone.
In 1986 when Larry Harvey and Jerry James burned a wooden man and small wooden dog on the beach in San Francisco. Harvey described his reason for burning the effigies as an “act of radical self expression.â€
advancedburning

Postby POWERCHAIR » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:20 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWERCHAIR

Postby Dr Helix » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:53 pm

Just wanted you to know this discussion is raging across the border in Canada too. A friend of mine from Calgary sent this response to a regional buner page in Alberta:

"I saw the banner and was annoyed by it too. But we are already assaulted by banner advertising all over Black Rock City. The messages are: Budget, Penske and U-Haul. Few of these banners on cube vans and trailers get covered or are asked to be. If we want to protect our city from advertising we can also enforce our feelings inside the city."

Hugs-Kikikaboodle

And I say throw in Cruise America too. Their RV's were everywhere and not a coverup did I see. The first year I went, my friends stopped and blacked taped over the U Haul letters to Spell out Ru Paul. Very Clever. I taped over my logo on my truck this year plus even my trailer's make and model. And then you see those big cans out their with BUDGET!!! all over them. A bit hypocritical I say.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:32 pm

a paint roller/pan, water and playa will cover a bllboard. Washes right off for return..
unjonharley

Previous

Return to 2009 Theme