Segways on the playa

Segways on the playa

Postby estahl » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:07 pm

I just had this email forwarded to my camp mailing list. Are these guys serious? Why are Segways allowed on the playa anyway?

------------

>Flag this message
>Re: Fwd: Segways on the playa
>Sunday, September 13, 2009 11:34 AM
>From:
>"Charles Narway" cnarway@gmail.com>
>Add sender to Contacts
>To:Segways at Burning Man <segwaysatburningman <mailto:segwaysatburningman@yahoogroups.com> @yahoogroups.com>

>Oh dude, I just love kicking up some dust while tantalizing all those >topless chicks with my stroboscopic wand. The great thing about >segways is that you can get some really hot photos of naked chicks and >before they know what hit 'em, I'm halfway to the thunderdome.
>
>I has no idea that there was a DMV out there though. That must suck, >standing in line all day when I could be enjoying the AC in my Hummer.
>
>Fuck ya!
>
>
>Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Joe Wilson <jwilson@gmail. <mailto:jwilson@gmail.com> com>
> Date: Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:23 AM
> Subject: Fwd: Segways on the playa
> To: Segways at Burning Man <segwaysatburningman <mailto:segwaysatburningman@yahoogroups.com> @yahoogroups.com>
>
>
>
> VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT FORWARD THIS EMAIL BEYOND OUR
> SEGWAY OWNERS EMAIL LIST

>
> Fellow Segwayers,
>
> If you are receiving this email, you know there is nothing better than riding your Segway > across the playa. The wind in your face. Your iPod Touch pumping Paul Oakenfold.
> Pulling up to the Shirt Cockers Ball. It's pure heaven....
>
> I know when I put on all of my faux fur, my court jester hat, my feature boa, my fanny
> pack, my laser pointer finger glove and my glow in the dark light saber, the ladies are
> going to want a ride across the playa on my trusty Segway (complete with my boner
> sticking into her back...oops!). Sometimes I even like to drop a trail of blow pops
> behind me because I like to "participate" in the "gift economy".

>
> It's so cool that the Burning Man DMV isn't enforcing the rule that you need to register
> all motorized vehicles any more. Back in the old days you had to
>
> 1) have a registered mutant vehicle
> 2) ride your bike or
> 3) walk
>
> LAME-O! As we all know, Mutant vehicles are waaaay too much work, bikes are for
> douche bags and walking is for fags.
>
> Anyway, I'm sending you this email because there are some anti-Segway hippies out
> there, so TAKE 5 MINUTES and write to the DMV to tell them why they MUST
> CONTINUE TO EXEMPT SEGWAYS FROM THE "MUTANT VEHICLE" RULES.
>

> Call them at 415 TO FLAME AND email them at dmv@burningman. <mailto:dmv@burningman.com> com
>
> Keep your batteries charged and your light saber erect!
>
> Joe a.k.a. "Keg Stand"
>
> P.S. We are continuing our other campaigns to;
>
> 1. pave the Esplanade and the main roads to the Man and the Temple. IT'S STILL
> WAY TOO BUMPY OUT THERE (I can't tell you how many Red Bulls I had bounce
> right out of my cup holder!).
>
> 2. cut funding for one piece of art to fund designated Segway charge stations at all of
> the bigger art installations next year.
>
>Keep your fingers crossed!!!
estahl

Postby Isotopia » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Isotopia

Postby Sage Venkman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Troll...move on...nothing to see here.
Sage Venkman

Why Segways are on the playa

Postby greeterdan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:19 am

For years, I've seen Segways out on the playa. There were definitely more this time around than I've seen before, though. No question. Like orders of magnitude more.

Now, I'll admit, I love Segways, and have long wished I could have one for the playa (or for the real world, for that matter).

But the thread does raise an interesting question: Why are Segways allowed in BRC w/o DMV licenses.

Though I am a former DMV Hottie, I am not speaking for the DMV here. However, unless the rules have changed, here's why Segways are allowed: They don't have seats. Motorized scooter-type vehicles are allowed w/o a license in BRC if they don't have a seat. And Segways clearly fall into that category.

Now, you may not like it, and if so, perhaps it's time to lobby the DMV to change its rules. But frankly, I think the no-seat scooters that raise that incredible "BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" racket are a hell of a lot worse than the Segways that are all over the place out on the playa these days.

That said, there are Segways and then there are Segways. Some have gone to the trouble of decorating them beautifully (for example, the pair of seahorses that have been at BMan for years). And some are riding around with no decoration at all. I think we know which ones belong and which ones don't.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. But I think demonizing Segway riders just because they're out there at all is a little too easy. Let's figure out how to make this work for the entire community.

Greeter Dan
Wishing I had a Segway since the day they were introduced
greeterdan

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Don't you just love go-peds?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Re: Why Segways are on the playa

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:22 pm

greeterdan wrote:
Motorized scooter-type vehicles are allowed w/o a license in BRC if they don't have a seat. And Segways clearly fall into that category.

And some are riding around with no decoration at all. I think we know which ones belong and which ones don't.

Just like undecorated bikes aren't allowed either ??:roll:

You don't have to decorate either one to have it "belong".
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby jkisha » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:15 pm

I think Seqways fit right in...decorated or not. They are quiet and I have never seen anyone speeding or a trail of dust following them like with those noisey scooters.

I've also noted a lot more motorized bicycles out there this year too--and several scooters WITH seats. DMV getting lax or is gate to blame for letting them in?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:48 pm

jkisha wrote:I think Seqways fit right in...decorated or not. They are quiet and I have never seen anyone speeding or a trail of dust following them like with those noisey scooters.

I've also noted a lot more motorized bicycles out there this year too--and several scooters WITH seats. DMV getting lax or is gate to blame for letting them in?

JK

The motorized bikes have not yet caught the attention of the BLM. When they do, they will be more strictly policed. The scooters must have gotten by the gate and just haven't been caught yet.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 pm

The seats on my electric scooters are optional, they come on/off with one twist of a quickie bolt.

That said, I haven't taken either of them out there in 4 years now.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby BitterDan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:53 am

/yawn
BitterDan

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:34 am

yup
oneeyeddick

Postby Minxy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:10 am

I always wanted a Segway out there, too. They look fun and they are quiet...and I could make it pretty.

However, I do wish those loud-ass scooters would be banned. People were speeding all over on them, causing tons of dust and noise pollution. Most of the ones I saw had no attempt at decoration, either.

Maybe this year, people will bitch enough that they will be banned for future years. :)
Minxy

Return to 2009 Art & Performance