Felix the Cat Peripheral Vision LED Lighting Art Display

Felix the Cat Peripheral Vision LED Lighting Art Display

Postby luckyclover » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Hello Burners,

2009 was AWESOME!!!!

One of the most simple and effective art displays we saw this year was a non-descript LED antenna light that was anchored to an RV. While stumbling down the road my girlfriend noticed that she saw Felix the cat in the air. You could only see it in your peripheral vision if you swung your head side to side while focusing your vision on the LED antenna. It was about 5 feet high up on top of an Rv and at first glance or direct focus it appeared as just a straight pole with bright white LEDs about 1 inch thick in between darker one foot segments. It was FREAKIN COOL.

It is a fascinating technology. I am seeking more information about this art LED light antenna. It was brilliant. If anyone knows anything about this image/frequency eye-motion-art LED technology please let me know.
luckyclover

Postby rodiponer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:48 pm

My father in law is an electrical engineer and makes these as a hobby. He did not make the felix the cat one you mention, but has talked about bringing something like that next year.

You can also see the image if you swing the LEDs through the air.

I've seen small wands for sale that spell out messages you program. There is also a fan with this effect.

I don't know if there is a word for this effect.
rodiponer

Postby ORGANism » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:38 am

The effect is called "persistence of vision". Scan lines in early television also relied on this effect to create a perceived solid image from a "flying spot".
ORGANism

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:44 pm

I remember a camp that had a couple big ones out there, 7 years or so ago.

I particularly remember the Mona Lisa.

It's some funny shit watching people wiggle thier heads back and forth rapidly, trying to make the effect happen.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby justfred » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:03 pm

Here's a small version:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/minipov3/index.html

You could probably rewire it to drive larger LEDs (or maybe you don't need to?)
What goes around, comes around.
justfred

yayyy! i was hoping to share my happiness about this piece!

Postby pants » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:09 am

the felix the cat light installation was one of my all-time favorite experiences on the playa this year! it'd been a bit of a rough evening for me, & i had my first panic attack while stuck in a thick crowd. i'm not even sure where i was, but i made it out of the crowd & managed to make my way to the skinny kitty tea house. on the way there, i walked by a nondescript antennae with lights on it. i thought i'd seen glimpses of felix but blew it off, until 2 guys mentioned, "did you see felix?" HOLY SHIT! i laughed for 5 minutes straight. i loveloveloved that piece! thank you to who(m)ever brought that to the playa.
pants

Re: yayyy! i was hoping to share my happiness about this pi

Postby LostinReno » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:30 am

pants wrote:the felix the cat light installation was one of my all-time favorite experiences on the playa this year! it'd been a bit of a rough evening for me, & i had my first panic attack while stuck in a thick crowd. i'm not even sure where i was, but i made it out of the crowd & managed to make my way to the skinny kitty tea house. on the way there, i walked by a nondescript antennae with lights on it. i thought i'd seen glimpses of felix but blew it off, until 2 guys mentioned, "did you see felix?" HOLY SHIT! i laughed for 5 minutes straight. i loveloveloved that piece! thank you to who(m)ever brought that to the playa.

OMG, I totally forgot about the Felix light!!! We were searching for Barbie Death Camp and ended up on this street. I turned my head to look back at my friend and could have swore I saw Felix! I kept looking around, then it caught the corner of my eye. Then I started making my friends look at it. I would have loved to have sat in that camper and laughed at people bugging out on it. That was very cool!!!
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Re: Felix the Cat Peripheral Vision LED Lighting Art Display

Postby nielsen522 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:31 am

[quote="luckyclover"]Hello Burners,

2009 was AWESOME!!!!

One of the most simple and effective art displays we saw this year was a non-descript LED antenna light that was anchored to an RV. While stumbling down the road my girlfriend noticed that she saw Felix the cat in the air. You could only see it in your peripheral vision if you swung your head side to side while focusing your vision on the LED antenna. It was about 5 feet high up on top of an Rv and at first glance or direct focus it appeared as just a straight pole with bright white LEDs about 1 inch thick in between darker one foot segments. It was FREAKIN COOL.

It is a fascinating technology. I am seeking more information about this art LED light antenna. It was brilliant. If anyone knows anything about this image/frequency eye-motion-art LED technology please let me know.[/quote]

Do you have a video or have you taken a video of what happen? I'm curious of what it is or any sample videos about this :) thanks..
"Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation."
Editor @ fencing equipment
nielsen522

Return to 2009 Art & Performance