Advertising at Burning Man!?

Advertising at Burning Man!?

Postby katzyie » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:46 pm

So.... there i was Friday morning enjoying the beautiful expanse that is BRC and much to my surprise i saw a familiar brand logo being flown through the sky. Now the industry im employed in sells said advertisers so i recognized their logo from afar and right away. But im not going to mention their name because i would rather not promote their product...... its not really that special. (Its just amino acids and complex carbohydrates and its not one of a kind)
I was not amused.
I had traveled many miles to this festival for many reasons and one of them is to escape the constant influx of advertising....... even the ones that i experience from this industry day to day at my job.
I was a little offended that they decided to do this and i was definitely wondering if this was going to be a common occurrence now....... whats next a familiar blimp...... some shoes that i must have being flown in front of my eyes.
and to make things even more interesting as i was discussing the audacity of these marketing execs a camp full of kids behind me poured out of there den and exclaimed "dude those are the nutrients we use!" and gave each other a group hug. Overjoyed at the triumph that they....... yes they had been advertised to.
Just for the record i have been employed at a store that sells all of these nutrients for nearly eight years now. This culture they are advertising to is not a counter culture. It is big business. Multimillion dollar business. They just want your money like every other corporation.
don't believe the hype. protect your right to mental space.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
RIP HST
katzyie

Postby Kenny Z » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Ha, I saw that too! I just thought to myself, "well, there is a product I will never use".
Kenny Z

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:11 am

Pack a small anti-aircraft missile next time.

Or HEY! Look the other way.

I overheard someone complain about the intersections, saying that we should have stop lights. Was that you, too, Kaytzie?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Bounce530 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:16 am

but that poor pilot is going to need some of that after the flight he had....did you see how hard he was fighting the wind???
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby geobeast » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:46 am

i saw that too.

i see people going out of their way to mangle corporate logos at burning man, so the outright ad doesn't quite seem in keeping with the spirit of burning man (but then i really couldn't explain what the spirit actually is...if it hasn't already been completely sucked out).

i would wager a lot a people don't give a fuck tho because it was weed growing supplies being advertised after all, and i'm sure a majority still fancy themselves cutting edge outlaws or something cuz they managed to sprout a half assed crop and got paid for it.

stop lights huh? more lights, why the fuck not!
geobeast

Next it will be Coca Cola or Pepsi

Postby Kimo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:21 am

This whole stunt is bullshit!!! This was a planned advertising stunt by Advanced Nutrients, a hydroponics company that sells a fertilizer for cannabis, stating: "Want Sugary Buds?" And as you left BRC and drove into Gerlach they had a fucking tent selling the shit! What next.... Coca Cola, Pepsi, who knows. That fucking helicopter should have been either grounded by air traffic control at the BRC airport or shot out of the sky!

I encourage everyone to boycott this company and their products for their selfish attempt to corrupt our festival to promote their own company. Please join me in this effort.

Imagehttp://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=ind_focus.story&STORY=/www/story/09-04-2009/0005088401&EDATE=
http://www.advancednutrients.com/
Contact Advanced Nutrients:
#109-31063 Wheel Ave Abbotsford, B.C. V2T 6H1
Phone: 604.854.6793
Fax: 604.854.4371
Toll Free: 1.877.604.8637
Email: info@advancednutrients.com
Kimo

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:26 am

Unfortunately, BRC has no control over who flies overhead.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Kimo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:48 am

Well so be it then on free air space. But here's an idea to make them pay for their corrupt act... call their toll free number a few times a day from a phone that you don't mind tying up for an hour or so. Just put the receiver down after you dial and let the minutes pile up. This might be good if you work in an office and have an extra line that you can use. The call is free for you, but they will have to pay their long distance carrier for every incoming call for the duration of that call. And we can also tie up their toll free line if we get enough callers, which will prevent their customers from getting through.
Kimo

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:35 am

Sounds like someone has too much free time on their hands.
And if a tent manufacturer claims that their gear survives Burning Man, or if a TV show has a brief reference, or if Obama gives a shout out, go ahead and waste your time trying to fight it, be my guest.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Kimo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:53 am

You're missing the point Ugly. It's about the fact that this company brought a banner and flew it over the Playa for an extended period of time. And then brough their shit to Gerlach. Do you want to see the Goodyear and Metlife blimps and a Coca Cola or Pepsi hot air balloon over the Playa next year? Or even worse yet, have Budweiser fly over several times in an airplane dropping thousands of $1.00 off coupons for a 6 pack of beer - raining moop all over us. This stunt has opened the door for other large companies, with much larger advertising budgets than Advanced has, to follow their lead.

It's not about having too much time on our hands. It's about speaking out against the corporate world attempting to infiltrate our city.
Kimo

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:07 am

/dials 9-wah-wah
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Oreally? » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:06 pm

Ooops. Sorry I missed it. I was in my Cruise America RV rental, evolving.
My other vehicle is a mutant.
Oreally?

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:49 pm

They aren't under the thumb of the BMorg. Neither is most of the world, although you might probably like that.
Ugly Dougly

Postby trocar » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:46 pm

This stunt has opened the door for other large companies, with much larger advertising budgets than Advanced has, to follow their lead.

Not really. This, like most everything else isn't the first time. I think it was 2001 when the sky writer plane spelled sex.com in the sky.I think they were trying to sell the URL, or just get brand recognition. Anyway, it's 8 years later and the event isn't selling timeshares, nor is it sponsored by MTV or Disney. The slippery slope isn't that slick.
trocar

Postby somekind » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:35 pm

Oreally? wrote:Ooops. Sorry I missed it. I was in my Cruise America RV rental, evolving.
I hate seeing all those Cruise America signs.
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.
somekind

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:07 pm

trocar wrote:
This stunt has opened the door for other large companies, with much larger advertising budgets than Advanced has, to follow their lead.

Not really. This, like most everything else isn't the first time. I think it was 2001 when the sky writer plane spelled sex.com in the sky.I think they were trying to sell the URL, or just get brand recognition. Anyway, it's 8 years later and the event isn't selling timeshares, nor is it sponsored by MTV or Disney. The slippery slope isn't that slick.

Burners aren't that much of a market, apparently, except for pot-growing equipment. :D
Ugly Dougly

Postby trocar » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:44 pm

Burners aren't that much of a market, apparently, except for pot-growing equipment.

...and the other thing I can't remember.
trocar

Photo of Ad Banner?

Postby shezebelle » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:42 pm

If anyone happened to take a photo of the helicopter and ad banner, or you see one somewhere, I would *love* to have it.

There may be actions we can take, but a good photo would help!

)'(
shezebelle

Postby Joshatdot » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:04 am

I saw it too..but just barely...my sunglasses and/or goggles were too dusty to read anything else besides the sugary bit. me and my friends were also "there's something we'll never buy because of this ad..whatever it is."
Joshatdot

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:08 am

What about the HOT TOPIC sign on Thunderdome? Were they sponsored by Hot Topic? I know the Death Guild was seeking money this year. Did they get it from Hot Topic????

Won't buy the Nutrient product and please cover your fucking Cruise America shit........
Galaxo Magic

Postby geobeast » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:22 am

lol hot topic even?

man, i like to think that every year a shitton of money goes out to the playa and pretty much dies there as art, bacon, and drugs. (romantic ain't it?) but i'm actually surprised it's not a lot worse with the advertising and all. and i'm willing to bet it's because many many people before me did not look the other way and stomped all over those fugly heads when they appeared. if i must endure some twat with a megaphone handing me a ration of shit because i'm dressed to the 9s, then damnit i'm fit to throw a tomato at whatever commercial crap i stumble across at burning man. want me to buy ur nutrients? do me a softshoe jag off...

[b]OH, and just to add some more details, said nutrient company pulled the same shit at the san francisco hydro expo when they were'nt allowed into the event.[/b]
geobeast

Postby bradtem » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:34 am

Kimo wrote:You're missing the point Ugly. It's about the fact that this company brought a banner and flew it over the Playa for an extended period of time. And then brough their shit to Gerlach. Do you want to see the Goodyear and Metlife blimps and a Coca Cola or Pepsi hot air balloon over the Playa next year? Or even worse yet, have Budweiser fly over several times in an airplane dropping thousands of $1.00 off coupons for a 6 pack of beer - raining moop all over us. This stunt has opened the door for other large companies, with much larger advertising budgets than Advanced has, to follow their lead.

It's not about having too much time on our hands. It's about speaking out against the corporate world attempting to infiltrate our city.

No, I don't really want those blimps or planes or sales booths in Gerlach. But I would prefer them to giving somebody the power to stop them. The phrase "it's a free country" seems only to be used to say "I am free to do what I want."
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby malchik » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:43 am

[quote="Galaxo Magic"]What about the HOT TOPIC sign on Thunderdome? Were they sponsored by Hot Topic? I know the Death Guild was seeking money this year. Did they get it from Hot Topic????

Won't buy the Nutrient product and please cover your fucking Cruise America shit........[/quote]

http://laughingsquid.com/burning-man-pr ... hot-topic/
malchik

Postby ConnieH » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:59 pm

anyone notice the PBR sign on a tower at 4:00 & E?
ConnieH

Postby sputnik » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Yep. that sign was a marker for Gigsville. Funny that not too many people seemed to care about that bit of advertising. Probably because it was unlikely to be paid for by the company. Either way, it is a brand, and flying it up there like that is tantamount to advertising, paid or not. However, so is every PBR held in someone's hand.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby fciron » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:06 pm

PBR is the official beer of DPW. ;-)

Hell, thunderdome and a lot of other stuff is lifted out of other media. If someone wants to share their love of PBR (and hopefully some actual PBR) with BRC should we stop them? If no one is paying them to do it then it's not commerce.

BM is no longer underground. It is going to be targeted and exploited in many ways. Most of those folks will not be advertising at BM but instead using the BM experience in other areas.

Press releases went out before the city opened from the nutrient folks, an outfit supplying energy drinks to center camp and the cell phone folks. They don't care what we think, they are interested in the other 304,009,724 americans
Strickland Propane is proud to be supplying liquified natural gas explosive power to the art installations of the mega festival Burning Man!!!
fciron

Re: Photo of Ad Banner?

Postby BurningGirl » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:07 pm

shezebelle wrote:If anyone happened to take a photo of the helicopter and ad banner, or you see one somewhere, I would *love* to have it.

There may be actions we can take, but a good photo would help!

)'(

My campmate got a pic - I'll see if I can get ahold of it. I think this is utter bullshit as well and hope there IS something that can be done. We all love our Carharts out there too but I would be pissed to see them fly a banner over head.
~Willow~
"If you love something...set it on fire."
BurningGirl

Postby ConnieH » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:06 am

sputnik wrote:Yep. that sign was a marker for Gigsville. Funny that not too many people seemed to care about that bit of advertising. Probably because it was unlikely to be paid for by the company. Either way, it is a brand, and flying it up there like that is tantamount to advertising, paid or not. However, so is every PBR held in someone's hand.

Oh, people who had it staring down at them all week cared, believe me. CruiseAmerica, UHaul and Ryder don't pay people to advertise for them, yet many folks go to a lot of effort to mask or alter the images so as not to bring that shit into our fair city. I don't care if DPW or Gigsville loves the beer, flagrantly flying that PBR sign set a bad example by people who should know better.
ConnieH

Postby healer1 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Greeter Rusty told me that they got the tail number of the helicopter and the pilot will be prosecuted because it was flown under the mimimum fly zone.
healer1

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:23 pm

That Blows
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Next

Return to 2009 Theme