Were you happy with your Theme Camp?

Were you happy with your Theme Camp?

Postby mars » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:56 pm

I was so happy with how our theme camp turned out. It was hard work getting it up. But once we were up and running, serving coffee to the citizens of BRC, I couldn't have been happier.

What went well for your theme camp?
What didn't?
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby Box Burner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:34 pm

Our theme camp was the best theme camp on the playa. We are also in the best Village.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:39 pm

We got hit hard by active participants, some days more than 20 people at a time, and then these people brought back their friends, by word of mouth. We rocked.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby camp-photon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:01 pm

My 1st year camp was a lot of fun. I could write a whole essay about the details both good and bad but overall it was one of the most rewarding projects I have ever undertaken.

I'll post some photos soon.
camp-photon

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:12 am

As usual, Lustre Village was amazing and beautiful. However, I felt that we were very wrongly placed by the Bmorg. 2:30 and Esplanade meant between Hookahdome and Opulent temple. Our small club, the Glitterbox, was really washed away from the main drag because if the enormous sound systems surrounding us. Cosmic Recess Playground was a hit, since the PlayaGo Round never showed up, our adult sized sit and spin was used often. IT was just hard to get a crowd at the bar inbetween 2 cutting edge sound systems. Next year I am sure we will be more city located, more central, more in the downtown area, I can already feel it. Our frontage was gorgeous though, and I can see it getting back to 2008's awesomeness next year if moved closer to the center of it all and not on the edge.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby mars » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:35 am

Yes, I concur that one down side of being a theme camp is not getting to choose your own spot. I, too, feel we could have served the community even better if we could have chosen our own spot.

I would very much like to be part of the group that makes the placement choices and am going to actively pursue doing so. If anyone can point me in the right direction for that, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll just contact the BM office and take it from there.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby camp-photon » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:48 pm

Not being able to choose your spot is the only downside to doing a theme camp. Our camp was very interactive and would have benefited from a corner location. Our assigned spot turned out to be excellent even though it was inline.
camp-photon

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:32 pm

once again, Root Society surpassed all expectations and we Rocked the Playa night after night.

Best Birthday EVER on friday the fourth...for many many reasons, but mostly because of the amazing group of people that make up our camp.

i dont want to get all post-burn mushy, but, why the hell not....

i love my playa family, and they love me back.....it is a good feeling.

my heart runneth over.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

luvin

Postby veleda » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:33 pm

really ecstatic at how well our village turned out. Our camp joined forces with our neighbors and made a village and doubled our size and it really really worked out. :)

Veleda (sacred spaces)
veleda

Postby Frankenstipe » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:53 pm

meh
Frankenstipe

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:39 pm

My theme camp turned out great. My placer Scar was amenable to moving me to where I could camp with all my unplaced mates at Stag Camp. Many thanks Scar and Answer Girl!

It was awesome helping get people back on playa with their rides. It was especially great to pull off a minor but necessary repair on the Put Put Playa's 3 wheeled pedal powered vehicle and to finally get to thank Hedy1 for her fantastic videos. The weird vehicles that people brought in were incredible and an inspiration to see and work on. There was very little drama even when 8 people from one camp showed up and I had to lay down the law on what I was going to do or not do. I did have to turn a few people away but they wanted things outside of the scope of what I was offering. It is REPAIRS people! Not taking care of a major portion of your project that you forgot to do. Replacing the blown out tire on my trailer by mounting a new one on the rim in camp was awesome. Thanks to my camp mates that said to go for it and pitched in to help and to the unknown guy that hung out and gave encouragement by saying that is how they do it in Mexico every day. Dawn soap! It is not just for dishes!

Changes for next year are going to be defined hours and the recruitment of mechanically inclined people and greeters to help out so I can get out to see the artwork and other camps more.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby toaster » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:44 pm

was in Sin City Village - this was my first year and was curious more what other people thought. I know the person that managed our camp worked hard on it. Our art cars were rocking it though - fo' sure!

We had PARTY NAKED tiki bar and Playfully Yours... but frankly I spent almost no time in my own camp. I was into the scene at Center Camp and having fun with the drum circles and stuff in the middle...

I also made some jewelery in my Zen moments... so I guess I was not thrilled with my own camp.
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

(Living life running with scissors in my hand, wearing a plastic helmet and teethe-guard)
toaster

Postby princesspisces » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:14 pm

Camp Envy was great this year, my biggest complaint was the lack of playa dust. :shock:
princesspisces

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:22 pm

We were really happy with how our camp, Destiny Lounge, turned out this year! And given the reactions from our many many visitors, I would have to say that they were too!
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:06 am

Destiny Lounge rocked, and were great neighbors!! (Hiya, BigBlue). DOTA- (Department of Tethered Aviation) loved our camp, enjoyed our neighbors, and is looking forward to more of the same in 2010!!
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Planet Earth

Postby Patamon » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:24 am

This was Planet Earths first year on the Playa, and it went above and beyond my expectations.

While it's not the first time I've hosted or co-hosted a camp with 80's nights on the playa, it was the first time we wrapped it up all together into a theme camp dedicated to just 80s dance music, and it worked out perfectly.

My campmates were awesome, we got the entire thing built in 36 hours, a great tight knit group with zero drama.

Our placer (Scar) Gave us a great spot on the 9:00 Plaza, right next to Artica, every night we rocked that corner the best we could.

And all the burners who showed up to dance were super appreciative of a dance alternative to "unch unch unch" On Thursday, Friday and Saturday we had the dance floor packed and spilling onto the 9:00 plaza.

Our neighbors were awesome too, every morning we had Pancakes, Coffee, Snowcones, and Bacon and Bloodymarys right across the street, how can it get any better ??

We're looking forward to doing it again next year, even bigger and better!

- Patamon / Xfile
Patamon

Postby kiuney » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:46 pm

We had a good location (A & 4:30) but we didn't have NEARLY enough space. Most of my campers (there were 24 of us) had to park their cars elsewhere. Tents were packed in pretty tight and unfortunately, our porta-potty and kitchen had to be close together. Our playground equipment was way too close together but it was either squish it in or not put it up.

Our playground and bar were very popular and we got lots of compliments from the community. It was a bit disappointing that there wasn't much going on around us.

What worked well for us is what has always been our #1 rule... every member of camp must participate in camp in some way. I had a few rock stars and I had a few slackers... But all in all, I can't complain too much.
Deviant Playground
www.deviantplayground.org
"Scarred for Life...Again."
kiuney

Postby The Chinese » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Loved Our Location, Was Happy with how it turned out... that being said, I think that was my last year running a large theme camp. HookahDome just blasted away, and it was pretty f'n uncool. Why they aren't registered in the LSSA is beyond me. Their 120dB sound really shit on us. But that being said, I had a great burn! I'm just ready to do it on the down low.

:)

Chinito
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....
The Chinese

Re: Planet Earth

Postby PavementBlues » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:30 am

Patamon wrote:Our neighbors were awesome too, every morning we had Pancakes, Coffee, Snowcones, and Bacon and Bloodymarys right across the street, how can it get any better ??

We're looking forward to doing it again next year, even bigger and better!

- Patamon / Xfile

It was mutual. Camping next to you guys was absolutely awesome. Every single time I heard The Safety Dance blasting out of your camp, my mood went up by several notches. Thanks for the great tunes!

I will avoid discussing my experience with my own theme camp, however. It was an unfortunate experience.
I volunteered at Burning Man and all I got was this stupid superiority complex.
PavementBlues

Re: Planet Earth

Postby Lens » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:55 pm

PavementBlues wrote:I will avoid discussing my experience with my own theme camp, however. It was an unfortunate experience.

You should have left a mint on their pillows. That makes everyone happy.
Lens

Postby SpacemanSpliff » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:50 pm

I would never camp anywhere but Skinny Kitty Teahouse. That said, we could've used a bit more room this year. There were whole structures that just didn't get set up due to lack of space...
"No, dude, I'm not going to kiss the cat. You people are sick. I'm outta here."
SpacemanSpliff

Postby pinemom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:23 am

BLISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

09 Theme camp

Postby stewby » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:39 am

We had an awesome camp. Everyone was totally dedicated to success and we were a major player in rocking the 9:00 plaza. Yes Kool-aid kamp had an unfortunate asshole with a megaphone, but the other people were cool and tried really hard to overcome some of their less than evolved camp-mates. No single person could ruin my experience. Thank you Planet Earth and thank you Black Rock City. Nothing that I ever do will compare with you.
stewby

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:50 am

SpacemanSpliff wrote:I would never camp anywhere but Skinny Kitty Teahouse. That said, we could've used a bit more room this year. There were whole structures that just didn't get set up due to lack of space...

Great structure this year!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Hedy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:27 pm

I was so happy this year with everything! Our camp, Putt-Putt Playa, was operating on a skeleton crew with half our numbers from last year. But our crew was so amazing and we all pulled together and made this our best year yet! The course as packed pretty much round the clock, and golfers didn't leave nearly the amount of trash as in years past. I'd go out for morning rounds, and hardly had anything to clean up. Thank you!! Found some great gifts in the mailbox, and had a blast watching people laughing and having a good time on the links. My most favorite part of the whole week, was riding our kinetic vehicle around town: The Sand Reckoner. Especially with the addition of the fire cannon : ) And BRC Welding was fabulous!!! So glad we got to meet you! It was quite an experience to pull up and get some fixit welds right there on the spot - what an amazing gift to the community - thank you. And thank you to the Golden Cafe, who brought their mobile Happy Hour Calf to PPP - another highlight in a week of highlights : )

Hedy

Postby POWERCHAIR » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Last edited by POWERCHAIR on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POWERCHAIR

Postby akmojo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:17 pm

Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro and the entire Barbie Village was incredible...
from our pancake feed, nude bike ride stop and the meet and greet (nice to see you again Box) to the constant flow of Burners and Barbie gifting visitors it was nothing but fun..
The Boosch Camp, Intl Burners and Preserved in Time all pitched in to make our Village a complete success and fun place to be..
even better plans for next year !!
see you in Metropolis !!!!!
think big and dare to fail
akmojo

Postby konacoffeeman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:34 am

Loved Planet Earth as a neighbor; I ended every night dancing there. It was my pleasure having y'all over for Kona coffee in the morning, especially Ken.
konacoffeeman

Postby Finnegan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Absolutely perfect! Booby Bar, and the Greater Terminal City Metro area, you fuckin rock!
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby Ruleryak » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:02 am

Our first year as Camp Aftermath was a huge success in my opinion! Sure we had tons of set-backs early in the week with equipment breaking but our decision to bring backups of literally EVERYTHING turned out to be very wise :D

One of our structures was hopelessly broken by the first major wind, but from that point on it looked like a ruin which lent itself very well to our post-apocalyptic theme so we just left it. People were still able to get inside and sleep (and they did!) so overall I think that it turned out just fine. Our genny and tv complete with an ever-changing collection of cold war propaganda and wwi wwwii newsreels worked every night in stark defiance of all my fears (granted the generator almost seized day one and took a good hour and a half of repairs but it purred like a very very loud raspy kitten from that point on).

We took a major hit in the numbers department right before the event and went down with only 3 people, but were still able to build the camp and provide all the services we promised! Definitely never going to do it with so few people again, here's hoping a year's worth of recruiting (HINT HINT - We're in Bozeman, MT - PM me if you're nearby and want to join up!) will fix that issue. Also, going to a dome or two is probably part of next year's plan unless we find another way to secure our structures.

Hope everyone else had a great burn, we certainly did!
Ruleryak

Next

Return to 2009 Theme Camps