Is there wifi in BRC this year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Is there wifi in BRC this year?

Postby Piss Clear » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:14 am

I know this is gonna sound lame, but does anyone know if there's going to be wifi in BRC this year?

With my current career, I really need to stay on top of it with email and internet access. Sad but true.
Adrian Roberts, Former Editor
PISS CLEAR
Black Rock City's favorite alternative newspaper
Piss Clear

Postby wedeliver » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:24 am

I was gonna say Media Mecca, but then I see who's posting and I wonder if this is some kinda prank or something. (hey dude, wazzzz up)

(I'm still waiting for my copy of the last issue)

anyway, I think you can always find a wifi connection at MM, if you can't find a signal otherwise. I have heard a rumor that this year there won't be a public wifi

Finally, we are all going to hell aren't we, what has burning man become? Adrian, You know cell phones might work this year also.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Re: Is there wifi in BRC this year?

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:23 am

Piss Clear wrote:I know this is gonna sound lame, but does anyone know if there's going to be wifi in BRC this year?

With my current career, I really need to stay on top of it with email and internet access. Sad but true.
Not You Adrian?

Then stay home!

Prioritize- is it US or THEM!

Death or Burningman!
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Piss Clear » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:59 am

No joke. Fuck that, it's fucking 2009. There's no reason there shouldn't be wifi and cell phones in BRC.

Also no reason I can't be there and still be connected. Since when was Burning Man an Amish community?

Okay, Media Mecca is a good try... maybe I can discreetly bring my iPhone and check email there.

I'm sorry, but if cell phones work, that would be so awesome. Finally, BRC will seem like a REAL city, not some pretend version of one.

- A
PISS CLEAR
Piss Clear

Postby wedeliver » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:49 pm

That AZ guy isn't even going this year and he is gonna give YOU advice. I hear you might be doing a bit for the beacon (I know, i know) is this possible?

Hope all is going well for you and yours, thanks again for your efforts over the years, you made it where I didn't have to go outside, yet I stayed informed. (i know, i know)

If you go to media mecca, spread some good rumors, I am sure there will be newbe media people who will believe anything you tell them, make it good. see ya
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby goathead » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Piss Clear wrote:
I'm sorry, but if cell phones work, that would be so awesome. Finally, BRC will seem like a REAL city, not some pretend version of one.

- A

Fuck You.

If you want a "real city" stay the fuck home.

Why even come out?
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby goathead » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:06 pm

satellite phone booth on the playa where you could call the world

COOL

Cell phones

Just more yuppie, frat boy scum
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby swampdog » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:18 pm

"Dude, check this chick out!" Clickity click, some idiot in LA is admiring the art work on your boobs, real time. Ain't technology grand?

ETA: not MY boobs, necessarily. I'm more the beer belly type than man boobs.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby goathead » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:38 pm

cell phone nailed to your head with a 40 penny spike= fashion statement

laptop nailed to the top of your head so person your giving a BJ to has a place to set their drink= Very thoughtful of others...
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby BitterDan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah I don't think many of us build BRC every year because we want it to mimic a "real city". In fact, I think we come to BRC to escape the "real cities" of the world. Please don't bring your "real city" to my Black Rock City. That being said; You gotta do what you gotta do. If wifi is available and you need to do work or feel some overwhelming need to connect with people virtually when you have ~50,000 "real people" just waiting to connect with you then, by all means, do your thang.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Piss Clear » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:21 pm

Sometimes real life comes calling, and not all of us are "funemployed" enough to not keep tabs on things via wifi or otherwise. Especially those of who are self-employed and need to stay that way in order to afford to come out to play "pretend city" out in the desert.

No, I'm not some yuppie scum douchebag who just needs to update their Facebook with pix of boobs. Damn, goathead, WTF is your problem? Maybe you're just one of the "Burnier Than Thou" douchebags that Piss Clear used to mercilessly make fun of.

See you all out there this week... ETD t-minus 24 hours.
PISS CLEAR
Piss Clear

Postby Sensei » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Ah, the fond memories of being a Piss Clear paperboy! Still got my commemorative Piss Clear t-shirt!

You rock, Adrian.
Sensei

Postby Mystery Girl » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:44 pm

This is especially to Goathead:

Some of us don't have to come to BRC to pretend to be something we want to be for a week, but live it every day in real life. The work I need to check in on (via internet) while on the playa IS the dream job/life/persona I live out there on the playa -- AND in the real/defafault world.

But hey, for some it's their getaway desert vacation -- you go weekend warriors! Wifi be damned! :D

-D
Mystery Girl

Postby Piss Clear » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:02 pm

I love you, Mystery Girl.
PISS CLEAR
Piss Clear

Postby szander » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:38 pm

For the naysayers: the theme is evolution right?

the city has been evolving since the beginning.

full cavity search for technology at the gate?

what next?
szander

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:58 pm

Love you too, Adrian. I worked DPW before it was called DPW, and I would have killed for cell access... I mean, it's so fucking BORING out there, so why not? DPW has had pirate bagphones since I can remember, but it was like shouting through a plastic tube.

The rest of you assholes -- call me back when you're starting off to Burning Man in your Conestoga wagons in, say, April 2010. Enjoy your buffalo jerky, hard tack, gingham dresses, sod huts, Comanche arrows, etc.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby goathead » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Piss Clear wrote:Sometimes real life comes calling, and not all of us are "funemployed" enough to not keep tabs on things via wifi or otherwise. Especially those of who are self-employed and need to stay that way in order to afford to come out to play "pretend city" out in the desert.

No, I'm not some yuppie scum douchebag who just needs to update their Facebook with pix of boobs. Damn, goathead, WTF is your problem? Maybe you're just one of the "Burnier Than Thou" douchebags that Piss Clear used to mercilessly make fun of.

See you all out there this week... ETD t-minus 24 hours.

Fuck Adrian
What happened to you? Your sounding like the yuppie pretenders you use to make fun off. Where is the snark? The Hat pay you off?
:twisted:

Fuck Your Day
Have a good trip out.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby goathead » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:15 pm

Mystery Girl wrote:This is especially to Goathead:

Some of us don't have to come to BRC to pretend to be something we want to be for a week, but live it every day in real life. The work I need to check in on (via internet) while on the playa IS the dream job/life/persona I live out there on the playa -- AND in the real/defafault world.

But hey, for some it's their getaway desert vacation -- you go weekend warriors! Wifi be damned! :D

-D

Then take the Green Bus into Gerlach when you need to, sit in the Water Tower Park under a nice tree, and take care of you business.

Week-end Warrior, LMAO, Fuck you, I live here.....
You fuckers come up to play once a fucking year, and I am dam glad you fucking do.

Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby goathead » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Piss Clear wrote:I love you, Mystery Girl.

I love my socks too...

But normally they are on my feet...

:lol:
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby goathead » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:32 pm

szander wrote:For the naysayers: the theme is evolution right?

the city has been evolving since the beginning.

full cavity search for technology at the gate?

what next?

Cell phone as a sex toy?

Sure if you can fuck yourself with it, you should be allowed to use it.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Postby Burp! » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:13 pm

Wi-fi, Cell Phone access, Twitter, Facebook updates = BM Jumping the Shark.

T.
Burp!

Postby tisso » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:01 pm

hi folks
anyone has any news from people in BRC via text , mail , tweet or may be voice communication so far?
tisso

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:31 pm

Dude, it's like, kinda hot and kinda dry. Almost like a desert.

Seriously, I'm totally in favor of democratizing comm access on the playa. DPW has had pirate phone & internets access for a decade. Why not extend access to everyone and see what people do with it?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

news!

Postby tisso » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:47 pm

just get my GF on her french cell , juste in radom call ! you can try and get as lucky as iam , but they told me not good coverage and most of the carrier tower are overload with guy like me trying to reach BRC
magic is the main word :: for her

i'll be there next year for sure

peace
tisso

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:37 pm

corner of 9 and c street has the best wifi out here, I am in a hamock drinking cerveza, and diggint the internet uploading pics and such. wifi away baby.

later
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Piss Clear » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:55 pm

Thank you, Fusion Valley for the wifi (used twice) and phone (used once). Totally rocked my world, and only two blocks away! (3:15 Chaos) Hells, yeah!

Weird as all get out though.

Kept getting text messages on my phone, which was strange. Could rarely text back though. Who is Papa Legba?

Goathead, I'd love to say it was a pleasure to meet you at the Black Rock Beacon, but you were so wasted you were kinda out there! Kinda like your posts here.
PISS CLEAR
Piss Clear

Postby Alamoth » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:11 am

I didn't use my iPhone on the playa this year because my girlfriend asked me nicely. She thinks I'm addicted to it and needed the week away from it. I think she might have been right.

That said, I don't think anyone has the right or privilege to tell other people that they are wrong to take advantage of a cellular signal drifting through the playa. Some people express themselves through the internet and who the fuck am I to stop them.

Would it be a shame if everyone is BRC was just clicking away all week? Sure it would, but that isn't the community that comes to the playa every year. I'm sure even someone like PC who needs to be on top of work and connected to information because that is his life didn't spend every waking moment checking his phone and e-mail.

There is already a Future-Camp Theme Camp and next year's art theme is the Metropolis so I'm sure we're going to see some radical and interesting interpretations of this phenomenon.

Expect to see more internet use next year. I would tell you to stop whining about it, but then again, you have just as much right to express yourself through whiny complaints as someone else has to express themselves by surfing the 'net all day.
Alamoth

Postby goathead » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:40 am

Piss Clear wrote:Goathead, I'd love to say it was a pleasure to meet you at the Black Rock Beacon, but you were so wasted you were kinda out there! Kinda like your posts here.

It was a fun night and I was just heading home next door.
Stop by sometime in the day light and see what I am up to.
LMAO before all of the different adult libations.
It was fun to meet you again.
:D

I still think a cell phone and a 40 penny spike is more of a fashion statement.

Love your mashups.
:D
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Return to Experiences at Burning Man