So what the F*** Am I paying 1200$ for?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

So what the F*** Am I paying 1200$ for?

Postby ZacTM » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:46 pm

Okay so the Playa is $30,000 To rent, we should all pitch in.
ALL of the work is done by volunteers, (correct me if I am wrong, even if some workers are being paid, how much are they getting? a few 100k at most, for all of them?)

So there is on average 50,000 people at this event, at an average rate of 300$ per ticket, that's FIFTEEN MILLION F***ING DOLLARS!

Someone want to fill me in here?

Even if ALL of the expenses are one third of that, where the hell does the other 10,000,000.00 dollars go??

I love how all of these websites that talk about people "sneaking" in make it seem like the entire event would crumble without their precious money.

What's going on here, why don;t we jsut split the 30,000$ playa by the 50,000 people going......

I mean with the thousands of volunteers I am pretty sure we can clean up afterwords.... isn't that what this is all about?
ZacTM

Postby Kinetik V » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Read the Afterburn reports yet?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Burning+Man+2008+Afterburn+Report

Start there.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby ibdave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Zac, sell you ticket and stay home... Gezzz what a tool.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby PavementBlues » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:24 am

Kinetic V wrote:Read the Afterburn reports yet?

Start there.

What he said. Radical self-reliance starts with doing your own damn research. The Port-O-Potties alone cost about a half a million dollars every year. The payroll is over $2,000,000 (the event requires a huge amount of organization, so naturally there are a decent group of paid employees). The cost to rent the playa from the BLM in 2006 was $863,000.

These kinds of figures are large. If Burning Man had stayed a low-budget operation with the kind of massive size increases that the event has undergone, it wouldn't exist.
I volunteered at Burning Man and all I got was this stupid superiority complex.
PavementBlues

Postby MikeVDS » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:53 am

Be nice. He's mathematically challenged.
MikeVDS

Postby Boijoy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:14 am

oh oh !! don't forget the funded art!!

yeah.. you shouldn't come.. it's NOT worth the $300.00 you paid. You can rent about 60 movies and sit at home & jerk off or something. :?
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Green Wood » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:38 am

Oh he paid $300 for his ticket

for a second there I thought he meant he paid $1,200 for a ticket

Scared me for a second I thought those rates weren't to be activated until 2012!
I might be green, but I can burn brite with the help of my playa friends!
Green Wood

Postby Nitevenus » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:30 am

You can fill yourself in..... it's a massive website (even that costs to maintain) and is very detailed in the how, what and why of Black Rock LLC. Yeah, yeah....everyone loves to hate "the man"...... no, not THE MAN )^(. But if everyone *pitched* in like a frat kegger, you may find you didn't even get your money's worth out of the keg.
Nitevenus

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:40 am

start yer own event so we can bitch about that one please
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby ZacTM » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:43 am

[quote="PavementBlues"][quote="Kinetic V"]Read the Afterburn reports yet?

Start there.[/quote]

What he said. Radical self-reliance starts with doing your own damn research. The Port-O-Potties alone cost about a half a million dollars every year. The payroll is over $2,000,000 (the event requires a huge amount of organization, so naturally there are a decent group of paid employees). The cost to rent the playa from the BLM in 2006 was $863,000.

These kinds of figures are large. If Burning Man had stayed a low-budget operation with the kind of massive size increases that the event has undergone, it wouldn't exist.[/quote]

Okay so you guys can throw insults around, but you still aren't addressing the fact, 2,000,000 + 863,000, well that is 2.86 mil, where is the other 13,000,000?

Anyone?
ZacTM

Re: So what the F*** Am I paying 1200$ for?

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:43 am

ZacTM wrote:Okay so the Playa is $30,000 To rent, we should all pitch in.
ALL of the work is done by volunteers, (correct me if I am wrong, even if some workers are being paid, how much are they getting? a few 100k at most, for all of them?)

So there is on average 50,000 people at this event, at an average rate of 300$ per ticket, that's FIFTEEN MILLION F***ING DOLLARS!

Someone want to fill me in here?

Even if ALL of the expenses are one third of that, where the hell does the other 10,000,000.00 dollars go??

I love how all of these websites that talk about people "sneaking" in make it seem like the entire event would crumble without their precious money.

What's going on here, why don;t we jsut split the 30,000$ playa by the 50,000 people going......

I mean with the thousands of volunteers I am pretty sure we can clean up afterwords.... isn't that what this is all about?

another uninformed person,

Dude. tickets dont average 300.00 a head. It averages less than 200 with all the comped, reduced rate, staff and contractor personnel there. the playa is not 30k to rent. BLM charges a fee of 4 dollars per day per person in user fees. BM is the LARGEST even nicked by the BLM in the US and generates just under a million a year in fees the last few years. Then you have law enforcement, half a million in poo removal, fire fighters, medics from REMSA, a 200 acre ranch, offices in SF, payroll, taxes, diesel, lights, all the little knick knacks like center camp, an infrastructure, food for the contractors and volunteers, shower trailers, potable water service, grey water service, insurance, lawyers, trucks, tractors, cranes, several Megawatts in power, power distribution, electicians, permits, excavation equipment, clean up crews, printing, postage, IT, and on and on.

Sure a lot is volunteer labor, but a mssive amoutn cant simply be volunteered out. With the ORg talking about going not for profit, you will then get to see their books.

later/
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Slutsy_Goat » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:25 pm

The amount of $$ I spend on Burning Man is roughly equivalent to what I'd spend on a week-long vacation in Hawaii...
...and it's TOTALLY worth it!

If you're a whiner, don't come near my camp, we'll have to make you sit in the "Told Tent".
:twisted:
Slutsy_Goat

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:41 pm

Zac, it's obvious now that you may have a learning disability or literacy challenge. You've been provided with the link to the resources where all expenditures are broken out in line item form yet you continue to ask the same question. Rather than be embarassed and continue to spew mindless posts asking the same thing perhaps some self help is in order... it's never too late to learn to read. I highly recommend starting here: http://www.rif.org/ The Reading is Fundamental folks are great people and they can get you started. The National Institute for Literacy http://literacydirectory.org/ has links to resources nationwide that are easy to use...surely you can find someone to help you complete the form and find those resources. While you're at it have that same helpful person take you to the Afterburn report and find the financial breakdown that's explained in depth...just as it has been year after year.

Remember, one of the tenets of Burning Man is radical self reliance. With that in mind please quit asking us to do research that you should be able to do with ease. The answers are out there...all you gotta do is expend a tiny bit of energy and look!
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Artemis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:44 pm

oops, didn't mean to post here
Artemis

Postby Da Mule » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:46 pm

This must be where the short bus stops!

*tapping hoof, patiently waiting*
Da Mule

Postby Boijoy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:57 pm

If I may comment..

Why do you give a fuck where the money goes?? BMORG, Larry Harvey, & Joe Blow don't owe you shit! If you don't like the ticket price,, DON'T fucking go !!

I'm sick of people bitching about the ticket prices, who makes what, etc.. Burning Man is not a charity.. get a clue. seriously. DON'T GO WHINER !!

Sheesh.. I need to get out onto the Playa soon & away from dumbasses like this!!

Done venting.. ok, Anti go ahead and reprimand me now. :?
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:20 pm

Oh, I'm right there with ya.

Where is that bus?
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby geospyder » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:33 pm

AntiM wrote:Oh, I'm right there with ya.

Where is that bus?

It was going around in circles at the Nevada State Fair last night, right next to our command center, driving everyone crazy.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby fciron » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:10 pm

ZacTM,

Most of the money gets spent on cocaine, hookers, and air conditioning for theme camps that walled off and inaccessible to suckers like you who actually pay for a ticket.

Also, DPW get a bounty of $10 a pop for every asshole who gets offended.

Is that a better answer?
fciron

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:42 pm

The LLC is not a non-profit. Makes it simple, participate or don't.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby BitterDan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:05 am

I love how you come and bitch and complain about ticket prices and not once did you bother to read the Financial Chart. Expenses in 2008 were 14 million dollars. Dumbass.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby goathead » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:09 am

ZacTM wrote:Okay so you guys can throw insults around, but you still aren't addressing the fact, 2,000,000 + 863,000, well that is 2.86 mil, where is the other 13,000,000?

Anyone?

Stay home if it bothers you.
Buy a cell phone.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby andy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:20 pm

[quote="ZacTM"]Okay so the Playa is $30,000 To rent, we should all pitch in.

[/quote]

As someone who runs a *very* small business, I'm surprised that the BMO can get by on as little money as they do for an event of this size. Yes, there are thousands of volunteers but they have to get fed and transported. The BMO spent $2.6M on salaries in 2007? I worked for a tiny start-up that none of you ever heard of in a tiny building in Cupertino, we probably spent $6M a year in salaries. The BMO spent $45K on shipping in 2007? My small business (which you've probably also never heard of) spends $20K a year on shipping.

Finally, (although this is mentioned in some other posts but not yours) stop begrudging Larry Harvey whatever he gets paid for having created this. The engineers and other techies who flood BRC usually earn $100K give or take a little - how many of us can claim credit for creating a successful festival? Give the guy his due.
andy

Postby Nitevenus » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:46 pm

I think a good majority probably wonder about the same question. Being a business owner and event coordinator, I can only imagine the planning/requirements on this event. Reading the BLM permit was an eye opener, thank goodness I've never had to rent fire engines with specific fire ratings. Wow.... and that's only ONE item on an extensive needs list. Hopefully, with a more open eye on his visit home he was able to look around and take a better mental note of what supports his attendance.
Nitevenus

Postby dongiovanni » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:35 pm

Oh lord... is it that hard to do some research before yapping away like a chihuahua on speed?

Here you go! Click and read!

It's for last year, but this year's numbers should be out soon.
dongiovanni

Postby spectabillis » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:55 pm

andy wrote:how many of us can claim credit for creating a successful festival? Give the guy his due.

nobody can, that was the point
spectabillis

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:02 pm

I don't know....we do our "own" thing in the desert in June every year.

it's fairly successful, IMO, and it has a name, scheduled events , and an infastructure of sorts, and no.... you can't come.

( just joking )

(but really....you can't come, so don't ask )
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ibdave » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:12 pm

ibdave wrote:Zac, sell you ticket and stay home... Gezzz what a tool.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cuz it's worth repeating... :shock: :roll: :!:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Patrick Hand » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:39 pm

OK... I did not read alla the above post.....

But people ask me why I pay $280.00 tp go camp out int the desert... well they gotta pay the poarta potty guys... (and they do a damn good of keeping those clean even with alla tha assaholes wot throw trash in them...) ... well and some of it goes to art exhibits........and a buncha cool other stuff.....

$280.00 is kinda steap... but I will still pay it..... but it would be kinda fun see a "break- down" of kinda sorta ... where the money goes.....

Heck... I'm kinda trusting... I klinda think that they are doing really cool/good stuff with any excess money......." hey... look at what we did for that school..." yeah... that kinda thing........

Hey... when I sent in for my ticket... I sent in enough to cover "safe " shipping... well ... I sent in $3.00 to much.... cool.... they donated it to something....I have no problem with that.... I would just like to see where it went.....
Patrick Hand

Postby gaminwench » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:05 am

280.00 is 40.00 per day camping fee...covers portos, street lights, EMT services, playarent, insurance(!), art and unlimited opportunities for?????...can KOA say that?
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy