Camping Spot Question (from a newbie)

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Camping Spot Question (from a newbie)

Postby Totoro » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:37 am

Hi Everyone, Totoro here. I'm a newbie, age 49, coming alone, need to clear my head and get away for a bit. And sweat.

I've done a TON of reading here at ePlaya and on the BM site. But I still have questions! I thank you in advance for your patience and the gift of your advice.

I'll keep different questions in different threads, just for organizations sake.

Question:

1. OK I get my will-call ticket and head out into BRC. Are there just huge areas marked off for camping, and you grab a a piece of one for yourself? Or are separate camping areas for each group or individual marked off, like at a trade show?
2. Any advice on finding a nice (relatively) quiet spot surrounded by nice friendly people?

Thanks so much!

(More questions to come.)

--totoro
Totoro

Postby lhyr » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:54 am

you camp where ever you park. the outer rings of town are quieter, except in certain neighborhoods. by the time gate opens for everyone, you are allowed to camp anywhere (not in the roads, but in any vacant space in the city). will call is a different line than box office, both of which are different lines than gate (you have to wait in line to go get your ticket to go wait in line to get in). I THINK!

sign up for the jack rabbit speaks mailing list and review their past posts, they're a great resource. there should be a link on the BM mainpage.
lhyr

Postby Hoolie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 am

Some areas are blocked off for "theme camps," otherwise, it's a free-for-all. Doesn't hurt to introduce yourself to the neighbors before you set up camp. That way, you can make sure you don't get in eachothers way, and you'll get a feel for who you will be next to for the week.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby phil » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:21 am

Check this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=25598
phil

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:22 am

Hoo-dogie!

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Thanks everyone!

Postby Totoro » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:51 am

lol to the Oklahoma land-grab photo!

and btw, I do subscribe to JackRobbit speaks.

I guess I'll just arrive on Tuesday and look around, say hi to a few people, and pitch my tent.

Still working on figuring out a shade structure.
Totoro

Postby swampdog » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:58 am

Shade easy answer - buy a costco/ez-up type shade structure and anchor it with rebar. Info all over eplaya about that type of thing.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:32 am

In case anyone elses reads this, because I am assuming you went, loved it, learned a lot...

Try not to camp on the outside of the south side, unless you like sand sanwiches and grit in your teeth. We broke the wind for most of the playa and it got pretty rough.

next year we are camping a little closer in and more towards the north.

=)
LindseyRaeFace

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:45 am

Lol, I was at 7:45 and the second to the outside ring, and the wind was brutal. My EZ up lasted about a half day before it was mangled beyond recognition. :) I'm going to build a dome next year.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby ygmir » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:48 am

you may find, most anywhere on the playa, there is wind........and, from most any direction............

"prepare".........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:32 am

[quote="mudpuppy000"]Lol, I was at 7:45 and the second to the outside ring, and the wind was brutal. My EZ up lasted about a half day before it was mangled beyond recognition. :) I'm going to build a dome next year.[/quote]

We were at &:15, between I and J... I feel you! We tried velcro for the windows... MAJOR BUST.

Preparing now! :wink:
LindseyRaeFace

Postby LostinReno » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:14 pm

LindseyRaeFace wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:Lol, I was at 7:45 and the second to the outside ring, and the wind was brutal. My EZ up lasted about a half day before it was mangled beyond recognition. :) I'm going to build a dome next year.

We were at &:15, between I and J... I feel you! We tried velcro for the windows... MAJOR BUST.

Preparing now! :wink:

Too funny we were at 7 & Kinship (thinking because we were noobs we'd stay in the outskirts and hubbys work was close by at 6:30 & pump trucks), the wind was horrible everywhere, we had friends that were in the vicinity of 7 & Chaos and they didn't seem to get it as bad. Lindsey, were you hanging out at Sharkey's?? They had a great bar, kitty cornier from the potties. I think at 7 & J?? We spent a lot of time there. They offered two strengths of drinks, slither away or die here. Their vodka-lemonade was heavenly!
LostinReno

Postby geospyder » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:31 pm

Here is Sharkey's secret recipe.

Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Postby teardropper » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:28 pm

We were at 3:30 and Biology. I have an old motorhome with a side roll down shade. I never left it open when I wasn't there and when I was there, there were times I rolled it up from the wind before it was torn to pieces. But I would expect that the outside might be a bit windier.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Return to Shelter & Camping