Return ratio

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:11 pm

Sail Man wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:on the MV in our camp, we only played rock and roll......Stones, LZ,Doors,
well, at least the Stones are real music. Some of the time.

Hey Hey Hey! You know your not to old for a spanking Missy :wink:

:lol:
But you're married with a kid. I'd advise you to be careful about flirting with me.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri May 01, 2009 6:05 am

But you're married with a kid. I'd advise you to be careful about flirting with me.

that did'nt stop you from busting up Mel Gibson's* marriage now did it...

*is he circumcised?
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

going hom

Postby spork_the_magical » Fri May 08, 2009 1:54 pm

2009 will by my fourth burn ('05-'07), my husband's sixth ('02, '04-'07). Most of our friends have been multiple times.

For some reason, I seem to become mother hen to at least one virgin every year. The one (and only!!!) time I did a theme camp, we had a bunch of them, which was.....interesting, shall we say. This year there are two, one that is camping with us and one camping with her family. I like hanging with the newbies. Their enthusiasm is energizing. I also like educating them so they are not ignorant, entitled pain in the asses to those around them (see theme camp above) :lol:
"Do it big, do it right and do it with style." � Fred Astaire
spork_the_magical

Postby nexxtro9 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:20 am

I'm planning year 14 this trip...
i still have 2 burns til i'm 50 =
well the gas runs outta the body around 4:20 a.m. but i am still able limp to the sunrise most days on the playa. I have invested in some more comfortable lodging this year, (a cab over camper) and am working on an art car "YIKES!" the trike. I'm hoping these upgrades give me another 14 burns.
Some secrets for me... Take a nap in Reno.
Start drinking water "for reals" 2 days before you arrive.
Bring vitamins (i love the emergen"C" drink out there).
DINE - make meal times important, its so easy to flake and of course the drugs slack my appetite, so i graze too-but i try to eat a great breakfast and dinner. Find a way to keep your produce fresh and tasty - mmmm a cold peach is feenom.
Go slow at first... Give yourself time to set up camp leisurely.
LEAVE THE PLAYA ON TUESDAY -

Always remember to give yourself (and others) a break - its stressful out there...
make time for your partner, make time for yourself.
(my wife and i sometimes make a hand holding rule - which is fun!)
get involved with your own or someone's art... Find a project you dig and put a couple hours in.

Stay present... I find myself "messing with my stuff" so often i miss some great sh!t.

bring a first aid kit

don't light yourself on fire

that about does it...

burn bright

neXXtro
NETWORKING IS THE KEY TO SURVIVAL
nexxtro9

Postby Finnegan » Sun May 24, 2009 8:07 pm

There are some really great tips here. Thank you!
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Fifth Burn Coming Up!

Postby jeremedia » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:30 am

I'm 35 and this will be my fifth. My crew is starting a new camp this year... very exciting!
jeremedia

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: EXPEDITION OKNOTOK

Postby Samasutra » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:03 pm

I will be 25 years old for the 2009 burn and this will be my fifth year. It would have been my 6th if in 2005 I wasn't still nursing my now ex-boyfriend's wounds about running off without him in 2004. What?? He would have been the biggest douche of all douches.. the playa was happier without him.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Samasutra

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:35 am

Samasutra wrote:I will be 25 years old for the 2009 burn and this will be my fifth year. It would have been my 6th if in 2005 I wasn't still nursing my now ex-boyfriend's wounds about running off without him in 2004. What?? He would have been the biggest douche of all douches.. the playa was happier without him.

sorry to hear you carried your stress baggage for that year.

now, get on home to like minded people and don't do that again. or will i have to spank ya?
unjonharley

Postby Samasutra » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks Unjon. No stress, no baggage, most certainly not around Burning Man! And spankings are most often a very good thing. :wink:
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Samasutra

Postby theseus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:30 am

This will be the second for wife and me.

The first was in . . . 98!

We had kid freedom back then, right after 98 we lost that freedom and became full time nannies. Now this year the youngest girl has turned 18 and run off to college. So finally we can come back to Burning Man.

We are 47 and 45.
Last time in BRC: 1998 Returning 2009; 11 Years Later...
theseus

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:44 am

So where was your eleven year old in 1998?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theseus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:57 am

she was 7 years old in 98.

Where was she? going to school, Burning Man always happens during the school year in our school districts here.
theseus

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:18 am

Okay, my bad on the math.

And I was a little snarky as well. I'm sorry.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theseus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:40 am

theCryptofishist wrote:And I was a little snarky as well. I'm sorry.

That's cool. For years our friends having been evangelizing us to go back to Burning Man, as if having kids in school was a minor inconvenience.

I know teachers, students, and parents of students all who want to go to Burning Man but can't until they get out of the educational system. It's another argument in favor of regionals, which are often summer time events.
theseus

Postby DaddyMassive » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:39 am

My lady and I are 31. 07 was our first year, but I'd been trying to come since 05. Coming from the UK, it's ~$2,500 just for flights, car/RV rental the most basic of equipment (which we can't save for the next year)... and I never like doing sh1t basic.

My friends who'd been going since 05 go just for the drugs and conversations in an interesting enviroment.. they literally make no effort to evolve their routine of..
Rent RV,
Fill with booze,
Arrive Thursday,
Party hard,
Drive off Sunday and dump rubbish in Ihop bins on the way to Lake Tahoe.

If I'd gone along with that I'd of probably called it quits last year, but I'm unusual amonst my friends in that I like to make my holidays complicated.

The major draw, for me, in returning to BM is making a theme camp & improving on what it was the year before. I was very lucky in 07 cos I camped next to some older guys who were having the same big dreams as me.
DaddyMassive

James, James, James!

Postby Alex Mochnacz » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:18 am

Funnily enough I was going to send you an old fashioned letter and then I remembered the Glastonbury Forum, er I mean EPlaya, and thought I'd drop you a line. But look at what I found...

"My friends who'd been going since 05 go just for the drugs and conversations in an interesting enviroment.. they literally make no effort to evolve their routine of..
Rent RV,
Fill with booze,
Arrive Thursday,
Party hard,
Drive off Sunday and dump rubbish in Ihop bins on the way to Lake Tahoe."

I think that's sour grapes and grossly misrepresentative. I would be more than happy to debate the accuracy of these statements later (and other posts like the story of how u really met Sean & Scott - at least u weren't making it up when you said it was fortunate) but back to my original point...

Letter follows:

James,

A few lingering points from our conversation at the wedding, for which I apologise screwing up with my big mouth. There remain a few things that through the alcohol and dope that remain possibly unclear…

1) I feel you should acknowledge the way you treated me following my first foray to Burning Man in 2004. I sincerely believe that there was a negative shift in your behaviour towards me and that you increasingly denigrated me due to some misplaced fear or insecurity or feeling of failure to compete. Either that or you were playing some kind of game with one of the best things in my life. Take your pick.

2) I think you should also acknowledge the way in which you acted in 2007. Considering how well the previous three years went (accidental OD’s notwithstanding) and how badly 2007 went, the largest single variable was your presence, and lack of it. It was a very difficult year and I feel that you did very little to make things easier and a lot to make things worse. If I offended you it was because you didn’t appear to listen to anything I said. And it wasn’t just me who had problems. Honestly. It was a nightmare and I got very, very angry. As I said, I don’t think our relationship has progressed past that point.

3) I deserve a bit of credit for being constructive towards Upsie-Daisium in 2008 rather than destructive.

4) This is about you and me and Burning Man. Nothing else. I am no longer angry with you but I think that difficult questions remain for you to answer, if not to me then for yourself. And I mean more than just saying that you’re an idiot and that’s the way you are.

5) I don’t expect you to do anything about this letter - should I even send it - but I need to move on from this crap and letting you know what my problems are/were is important to me in that respect. As I always said, the playa is a bad place for baggage and we had plenty by the time we got there.

As for that page in my Burning Man book (and I really have no idea what the problem is for you with that btw), it will remain empty as a metaphor or something. That is unless you want to put something there. Either way, it's up to you.

Regards,

Alex
Alex Mochnacz

Postby AntiM » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:36 am

Gee, thanks for sharing.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:01 am

What...in the fuck.....wow...sounds like there is some....issues here?
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Oldguy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:58 pm

I love drama in the morning....It's so.....burny.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Barbie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:18 pm

NO DRAMA FOR ME THiS YEAR wwoooooooooo HHHOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosssssoooooooooooooowwwwwwwooooooooooooohhhhooooooooooo Life IS GOOD!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby BrotherDan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Dear Alex,

(1) What the hell?

(2) What the fuck?

(3) Hahahaha

(4) You guys are great

(5) What a silly thing to post online.

Looks like someone saddled up the drama llama and is going at full gallop.

Regards,

Dan
BrotherDan

Postby OnceTheDustClears » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:04 am

Dear Alex.
Call James.
Privately.
Kiss and make up.
Doesn't matter who was right-er.
Life is short.
OnceTheDustClears

Postby princesspisces » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:21 am

:evil: You are not even serving us bacon with that drama?!
princesspisces

Previous

Return to 2009 Theme