Here's a totally opionated guide to what looks like good music up on the playa this year. There's obviously a ton of stuff I don't know about as there are like 1,000 parties going on at once, so it's always a wise choice to explore to your hearts content, but these camps are going to be a better bet than most I'd say music wise.
Brass Tax Boombox (10:00 & C)
Yes, yes YES! Breakbeat, electro, whateva from the big ass boombox with Brass Tax DJs and many special guests. Will be going Monday night, so come on out while everyone else is still setting up.
El Circo and The Do Lab (10:00 & B)
The El Circo dome is legendary and they are joining up with LA's The Do Lab â€“ should be epic. Music and crowd is kind of on the neo-tribal/modern primitive side with lots of glitch, dubstep, & breaks.
NEXUS (10:00 & E)
Glitch/breaks music with style. Between the Boombox, Simpler Times, & Nexus, you could pretty much rock your entire playa nights between just these three camps.
Root Society (10:00 & Esplanade)
Massive setup on the corner with 2 domes. Reports are kinda hit or miss on this spot, so you decide depending on the night and crowd. Full schedule at: http://www.myspace.com/rootsociety
Pink Mammoth (9:00 & D) â€“ Day party only
Deep house music with the Pink Mammoth DJs for dancing the afternoon away â€“ very very nice.
Rock Bottom (9:00 & F) â€“ Day party only
Pretty hush hush, but some of the Deep End kids secured a big theme camp space and are rumored to be bringing a nice sounds system for some special guests DJs along with the local Deep End DJs. Probably will be smaller scale than the madness of the Deep End of past years & there won't be an open bar, but let me just say...Oh. Hells. Yes.
Philadelphia Experiment (8:00 & Esplanade)
House/breakbeat from the Philly crew â€“ def worth checkin out
Soulicious (7:30 & H) â€“ Day Party only
Pretty low key camp setup with amazing house music. Mid afternoon to sundown usually with Friday "soulbrunch" being their big gig of the week.
Shift Ministries (4:30 & Esplanade)
This looks to be more of a spiritually oriented camp with some great music. Full lineup at
http://people.tribe.net/stacia/blog/55c ... cd24175a07
False Profit (4:00 & Esplanade)
Tuesday night is their big party, but they might throw a smaller shindig some time during the week at camp with a breaks/glitch feel so keep an eye out if you pass by.
Hookahdome (3:00 & Esplanade)
This looks to be a fun dome setup with good music and is probably worth a looksie at some point.
Opulent Temple (2:00 & Esplanade)
Big, loud, & packed with people - progressive house & breaks mostly. Some people dig this setup, some don't â€“ I fall into the second category as I've had neg experiences with this camp's leader, so I skip it. YMMV. DJ schedule at http://www.opulenttemple.org/
Green Gorilla Lounge (???)
They're not doing a big sound camp this year as they didn't get placed for a theme camp, but some of the crew will be up and throwing down some house music at night on a smaller scale if you can find them.
Aside from the local all-stars, here are a couple of DJs that will be on the playa to be on the lookout for: Freq Nasty (breaks), R/D (glitch), Nickodemus (house/latin/world), Lee Coombs (breaks/electro), Bassnectar â€“ (glitch/dubstep), Patricio (breaks), Wolf and Lamb (minimal techno), Cheb I Sebbah (world), Tipper (breaks), Adam Freeland (breaks), Ana Sia (glitch), Marques Wyatt (house), Lee Burridge (progressive), Worthy (tech house)
Some highlights of the week
Fewer camps/DJs are announcing their lineups and set times in advance, so I think it's gonna be mostly a year of wandering around all the amazing sound camps till you find a vibe you like. That said, here a couple of pre-planned events that should be fun.
- Boombox will be up and running
- False Profit party Tuesday night (4:00 & Esplanade) with the Unimog â€“ breaks 'n' glitch music
- Minimal techno with NYC's Wolf + Lamb at Disorient Bus DEX out near the trash fence (10pm-sunrise)
- Special day party at the Boombox all afternoon
- Temple of Breaks â€“ like the name says â€“ breakbeat music at the Temple all night
- Freq Nasty and Bassnectar at Root Society (this was mobbed last year BTW)
- Space Cowboys Unimog at Flaming Lotus Girls SOMA late night â€“ Space Cowboys & guest DJs
- Lee Coombs at Nexus (2am set)
- Soulbrunch party at Solicious (7:30 & H) â€“ high noon through the afternoon with breakfast burritos & mojitos â€“ house music
- Unimog at Rock Bottom
- Special guest DJ at Pink Mammoth in the afternoon
- Burning of the Boombox Friday night/Saturday morning with Freq Nasty & special guests
- Full Moon Space Cowboys Hoedown â€“ return of the legendary Unimog mobile soundsystem Friday night get down. Will be located at the Raygun Gothic Rocket Ship and will begin right after the rocket launch â€“ goes till the breaka dawn with Space Cowboys DJs & special guests.
- Disorient Car Wash (Esplanade & 4:30) with Unimog, Rock Bottom DJs and special guests
- I think they are burning something this night
- Bassnectar's sunrise set is usually legendary â€“ not sure where, but probably at the Simpler Times/El Circo-DoLab camp.
When loss recedes from surfeit, pleasure is its own reward.