Ever gone to burningman when you are still sick?

Ever gone to burningman when you are still sick?

Postby Niosh » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:29 pm

I've had a cough for 3 weeks and figured it was just bronchitis but finally got around to going to the doctor and it's walking pneumonia :-( I've got 2 more days of antibiotics. I was planning on leaving in one week, next Sunday, but not actually arriving on the playa until Tues or Wed. I am hoping I feel tip-top by then but I know I'll still have to take it easy this year. I'm not 100% sure I'm going at this point.

Has anyone gone to a burn where they were at the tail-end of something serious like this, and if so how did it go? I have some friends saying "the desert will heal you" and others that say "the dust will be bad for it".
Niosh

Postby Oldguy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:19 pm

Ask your doctor when it will safe for you to travel, not us. Get some rest. Take it easy if you do decide to come. Medical clinic is placed at Evolution and 1:15 this year.

Perhaps you can get a tank of supplemental oxygen or an oxygen concentrating machine, like the gamblers in Reno use for altitude sickness.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby OnceTheDustClears » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Plan on going.
You'll probably feel better in a week and a half and if you really feel lousy
you can cancel then.
I'd rather go and be a little more low key then sit at home wishing I was there.
And you can always go home early if it's just not working out.
OnceTheDustClears

Postby AntiM » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:54 pm

You can do it if you have a good support system and rest ... and know you're taking a risk. Have a bail out plan if you need to leave. Yes, the dust could be a Bad Thing. I don't think it will kill you, but I'm not a medical professional. Your decision.

I went two days after finishing radiation. Sure, I spent a lot of time in Totem's cool tent and was taking painkillers the whole week, but to me, a bad day at Burning Man is still better than a good day almost anywhere else.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:14 am

How do you think I got the playa name Typhoid Mary?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby spectabillis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:46 am

definately - take dust masks

edit
I have some friends saying "the desert will heal you" ...

spiritualists, and probably not ones found passed out and sunburned from dehydration/heat exhaustion in the open areas of the playa
spectabillis

Postby Sham » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:55 am

Last year I was at a hotel in Reno and had one of those horrible fevers you only get every 5 years. I was so miserable and hot, that I decided that if I didn't feel better, I was going stay at the hotel for the week. My camp mate went to the drug store and got me all sorts of liquids and pills to take. In the middle of the night my fever broke and I was fine the next morning.

The point of my story is---well I don't know the point, just pack your shit and go. It will all work out for you!
Sham

Postby Kinetik V » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:59 am

A full week for the antibiotics to do their thing coupled with the adrenaline spike you're going to get from going...and the emotional bump you'll get from being in BRC...and factor in the increased sunlight exposure...barring the unforseen, I'd go as you should be healed up or well on your way by the first day of being in BRC. Of course I'm no doctor, YMMV, don't sue me if you go and get sick again. N95 dust masks are your friend. Buy them in the 10 pack.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Playa Tom » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:49 pm

One year I was so sick I was in an iron lung. I had to bring a generator to keep it going and two nurses. At least the playa was really hard so it was easy to push me around.
Playa Tom

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:15 pm

The night before I left last year, my temp was 103.5.

for two days , I was at 101.5 or so, then it broke, but the cough persisted for the duration.

Bring a lot of cough drops.

By thursday, I was writing what I had to say on a piece of paper...vocal capability was gone by then.

BRING A LOT OF COUGH DROPS !!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby trystanthegypsy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:59 am

I have a cold comin on now.. Im takin a day or two off and drinking lots of fluid. its my first year i cant be sick!
trystanthegypsy

Postby Smallfry » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:49 pm

You'll survive! I went last year still on antibiotics for strep throat. I got prescribed them about 4 days before I left for the playa. I had to keep taking them the entire time, but I had an absolute blast! Just keep 'em in your bag, stay hydrated, and you'll probably be fine. :)
Smallfry

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shady Motherfaffers

Postby awuser896 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:06 pm

I was sick when i got there, but somehow got better real fast.
awuser896

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:15 am

In 2002 I was very sick in the days leading to us leaving. Driving up was miserable but within a day of being in the dry heat I started feeling better. Just know that you have to pace yourself.

In 1999 our campmate broke his shoulder but came anyways. He sat in camp on tons of Vicodins or davacets and laughed and smiled a lot. He said it best, the worst day at Burningman is better than the best day at home in bed.
Galaxo Magic

Postby 303jewels » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:27 pm

Yep, flew solo from England with a broken toe for 2009, my first burn.
Didn't have the luxury of a bike so walked about.
When theres a will theres a way!
Timeless motion..........
303jewels

Postby Sensei » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:45 am

So, anyone know if the o.p. went tits up or not?

Just curious.
Sensei

Return to 2009 Theme