Deep Cycle Battery - HELP

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Deep Cycle Battery - HELP

Postby mm000oooo » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:35 am

According to many resources, it seems that deep-cycle batteries are a good choice for low electrical power (for LEDs and stuff).

A quote like,"Costco's 85 amp-hour battery for $44 is your best buy." puzzled me, as I can't find these batteries neither in Costco nor in Wal-Mart. And price prices on the web are much (much) higher... :(

Any suggestion as to WHERE can I get these batteries for cheap?

Thanks in advance !
mm000oooo

Postby trenton » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:12 am

You can try Batteries Plus in Reno , But buyer beware less expensive for a reason. I would recomend a Trogan battery from your nearest golf car dealer , spendy at about 125 dollars but can out cycle any thing else on the market. Good luck
trenton

Postby gyre » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:05 am

How many LEDs and stuff?

Lots of choices.
gyre

Postby mm000oooo » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:31 am

around 1.5 amps of load (for several hours a day)..

I really don't mind that it will last forever and ever. it's just for the BM..

any suggestions?
mm000oooo

Postby phil » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:39 am

> "Costco's 85 amp-hour battery for $44 is your best buy."

What year was that post? And how many years before the post was the purchase made? :->

I have a hundred-something Amp-hour battery from Costco (it's a car battery), and it's lasted years. However, I use it year-round and keep it trickle charged. My Costco battery is not deep-cycle, though, and it's not listed online although it's in the store. I can't remember the price lately as it's not been of interest to me.

Deep-cycle batteries _are_ a good choice for gear that draws 12VDC or if you have an inverter; I have a deep-cycle in addition to the Costco car battery. There are problems, though. The Costco battery and my gel cell battery are lead-acid batteries. If I don't keep them charged, they 'sulfate,' which means the lead plates get a coating that prevents them from performing - I wouldn't be able to fully charge them, and they wouldn't hold their charge as long as the should. In addition to the cost of the battery, you'll need a reasonably good trickle charger. You may also want an inverter so you can run 120VAC gear off the battery.

Lead-acid batteries put out a nominal 12VDC, so if you're going to power LEDs, you need to know they draw 12VDC or 120VAC through an inverter. If your LEDs are 9VDC or 1.5VDC, you'll fry them on 12VDC.

Lead-acid batteries contain - wait for it - lead and acid. The Costco car battery can slosh, so you need to handle it with some care. The gel cell doesn't slosh, but both batteries need to be recycled at the end of their lives. And they way over 80 lbs. each. It takes a lot of lead to get over a hundred amp-hours. If you're traveling in a vehicle with these batteries and have an accident, you'll really wish you'd strapped them down when they fly through whatever organ they happen to hit. You really don't want to be in a rollover with a loose, 80-lb, lead-acid battery that's cracked its case.

Anyway, have fun!
phil

Postby gyre » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:39 am

Do you need 12 volts?
gyre

Postby mm000oooo » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:10 am

thanks. I will be using a lot of LEDs and some DC fans (like computer ones). I'm looking for the cheapest solution for that week...
mm000oooo

Postby gyre » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:45 am

First try to find the lowest voltage you can use.
LEDs range from 1.5 V to 7.5V generally.
Computer fans are usually 5 V, but check.

I would try to use D cells or alkaline 6 V batteries if the lifespan is reasonable for your use.
I think a D cell is about 12000 mah.

I plan on using this approach for LEDs in a tent light set up.
You maybe drawing enough power to go bigger.

FYI- fans vary a lot in efficiency.
LEDs to a lesser degree.

If you use a wet cell, I suggest AGM- absorbed glass mat.
I have used non-deep discharge with great results.
But it depends.
gyre

Postby Boijoy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:23 pm

You might consider getting a solar panel to top it off also. You can get a pretty decent one @ amazon for approx. $100.00. times a wastin' for shipping though.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Re: Deep Cycle Battery - HELP

Postby FinBot » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi guys,

A few thoughts on lighting, with LED's being a passion of mine...

Deep cycles are great as they don't mind going flat so much, where a car battery will die quickly if flattened too many times.

INVERTER OPTIONS:
They are easy, but they an ineficient so they chew more power than they provide, flattening your battery qucker. Get a big battery, and attach things sparingly.
If they get wet, they die.

MY RECOMMENDATION TO THE NON TECHNICAL:
Buy 12 volt stuff! Easy.
Less LED's over a wider area are better for power consumption. I run mine dim, at night that's all you need.

12 volt LED strip, waterproof, with dimmer for lower power consumption!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-12V-5m-warm-white-5050-led-flex-strip-lamp-mini-dimmer-30leds-m-/251202508965?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7cd618a5&vxp=mtr

EASY 5 VOLT USB REGULATORS:
USB converter outlets for ciggarete lighter sockets have a regulator in them that will usually supply 1 amp.
You can pay more at an electrical store to get ones that give up to 4 amps. You can buy battery clips with a ciggarete lighter attached.
A USB fan will fit snugly into the USB adapter.
DEALEXTREME.COM
3 amp regulator
http://dx.com/p/dual-usb-car-cigarette-powered-charger-purple-12-24v-72994
Battery Cable $4.50
http://dx.com/p/cigarette-lighter-dual-socket-with-alligator-battery-clamps-cables-82625

MY SETUP:
I run 3 volt LED lights i found at Ikea. The lights are incased in a yellowish plastic so they look warm.
I built a 3 volt switch mode regulator, variable to 1.5 volts which acts as a dimmer and reduces power consumption.
A regulator also helps buffer the lights from a flattening battery, so the batter can drop right down to 5 volts before the lights start to dim.
At 200 ma for the entire 10 meter run of LEDs it can run for some 40 days straight.

NOTES ON LEDs:
They can chew power, but generally use less than conventional lights.
The sharpness of an LED is caused by the light source being a pinpoint. You can diffuse them by inserting a ping pong ball over them.
Get the voltage supply right or you could blow them up!
FinBot

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Boosh

Re: Deep Cycle Battery - HELP

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:48 pm

You're right about the point source of an LED.
More of a factor is that most are molded with a narrow angle lens, but not all.
I found lights at target with a round, clear diffuser.

The luxeons are 120-160 degrees.
gyre

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks