Cell tower in Gerlach? WTF?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Cell tower in Gerlach? WTF?

Postby DoctorIknow » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:19 am

If these reports are true, I doubt there would be any barrier to the signal losing strength to get to BM.

Maybe I'm an old fart, but it will be very sad to see vast numbers removing themselves from the experience that is BurningMan.

And to hear them everywhere I go shouting into phones....I'd rather sleep next to a generator.

All that "banning" of cells by BMOG was built on a philosophical idea that means little to cell junkies. (and, yes, I might be talking about you and you're in denial)

Let's hope they don't hit us while texting while riding their bikes!

Let's get that guy out of jail who climbed up the Man and have him burn the cell tower!

Selfless people have been lending out their satellite phones for years for important calls. Yes, BM was better in the past!
DoctorIknow

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:28 am

The cell "tower" is on the hill SW of Empire several miles.

It does not transmit all the way to the playa, it loses signal a few miles past Gerlach.

It's components wouldn't be able to handle the capacity either...it would probably crash, it's only made for about 500 max.

It only works for Verizon/Nextel users anyhow.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:33 am

You hear that, Doctor? Now there is a chance that people can actually exploderate a cell phone tower simply by overloading it with a high volume of calls. Admit that Burning Man is now better than it was in the past!!!
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby DoctorIknow » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:36 am

Oh no....I was so looking forward to witnessing The Rapture right out there in the desert!

Thanks for making my day, bearers of good intel!
DoctorIknow

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:38 am

Vast numbers? What's the expected number of "participants" this year, old-timer?

How far from Gerlach to BRC? 100 miles or something?

Were cell phones "banned" in 1995?????
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:43 am

Hang up and participate.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:50 am

I use my cellphone for light when peeing in the JOTS sometimes.....
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Sham » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:56 am

There is hope on my part that the signal will not get past the mountain in Gerlach and be strong enough on the playa to fuck up this event forever. What a dreadful scenario of having virtually everyone there be carrying their cell phones to stay in touch with others on the playa, as well as the office and the folks back home.
If there is a strong signal, and there is enough service to handle all of the participants, I predict that this will be the end of Burning Man as we know it.
This is the worst possible news I could have heard and I hope that it simply does not work on the playa.
Sham

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Um.....how could people using phones possibly ruin the event ?

by you seeing them using them ?

people walk around with radios/walkies in thier hands everywhere you look anyhow.

It's not like you are going to be able to have dominoes pizza delivered.
oneeyeddick

Postby EvilDustBooger » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:06 pm

Cell phones on the playa?
You can dial 911 and actually reach someone from the desert?
This is dreadful news.
I`m not really sure why, but I`ll work on it.
EvilDustBooger

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:39 pm

* dials 911 *

Operator: " This is the operator, please state the cause of your emergency "

Me: "yes...I'd like to report a fire........."
oneeyeddick

Postby Sham » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:02 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Um.....how could people using phones possibly ruin the event ?

The interaction among everyone will be changed. We are now all in the desert with no outside influence. If I can call home as often as I want, or they can call me to see how the weather is, that simply would not work. I see people at home that can't back out of a fucking parking space without being on the cell phone to tell someone what they are doing. If you go to any public place, a third of the people there have a phone pressed to the side of their heads. No oneeye, this is not good news. We are officially being encroached.
Sham

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:10 pm

That doesn't explain the question at all.

All that does to my particular burn is possibly put some cell phone's into peoples's hands in the pictures that I take.

How does it affect your burn ?

The good thing about it would be being able to hear form family that someone loved has died.

If your dad had a sudden attack form whatever, and died two days later, wouldn't it have been nice to know so that you had the option to leave and go see him on his deathbed ?
oneeyeddick

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:25 pm

OMG!!! i can't believe this!!

so residents of Gerlach can use cell phones?! entirely unacceptable

As said by Gary on the AZburner list...

"Yes there is cell serive in Gerlach and Empire, and has been for years, it is nothing new.

For me, I do not understand the issue of cell phone service in Empire and Gerlach has all the sudden become a crisis issue that needs to be stopped. The people who live there now have the ability to use cell phone service. Which I think is probably a pretty good thing for the people living there in that remote area. Especially in the winter when a bad snow storm hits and disrupts conventional phone service. I don't get why some Burners think something should be done to stop people who live or drive through the area from having cell phone service. Pretty damned selfish ands self righteous if you ask me. Actually it sort of scares me to belive Some burners have this shit so entrenched in their minds that they would expect people outside our culture and outside our event to be forced into giving it up to make us happy."
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:21 pm

http://www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble/

Long story short there are countermeasures (like the one detailed at the link I posted) that one could possibly take to protect their cellular free BRC experience. As for legalities, an Extra Class amateur radio license might be helpful in covering one's derriere up to a point. YMMV!
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:29 pm

There goes the anonymity of discovering a good party
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Box Burner » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:17 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I use my cellphone for light when peeing in the JOTS sometimes.....

Now that is a good reason to bring a cell phone!
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby dj_john69 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:54 am

I don't care either way about having cell phone service available.

I'd keep my phone off and hidden regardless.

Now, if and when a Starbucks shows up to Empire or Gerlach, that's where i flip out. LOL
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby Jiva » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:00 am

Kinetic V wrote:http://www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble/

Long story short there are countermeasures (like the one detailed at the link I posted) that one could possibly take to protect their cellular free BRC experience. As for legalities, an Extra Class amateur radio license might be helpful in covering one's derriere up to a point. YMMV!

The only thing a ham ticket of any rating would be good for is losing when you get busted. Hams are restricted to transmitting on their own frequencies.
Stay home; the man will burn without you.
Jiva

My Experience Was Enhanced by Cell Coverage

Postby char » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:16 pm

I was among the people who did pull out and turn on my cell while in BRC. I used it to call and text with my loved ones who could not make it to the playa this year. I shared my experience with them, and was even able to get a text in to my boss asking for next year's burn off. Yeah, call me lame, but it made me happy. It didn't hurt anyone (except maybe my two co-workers, since I got the jump on time-off requests). I kept the cell in the car, and I didn't wave it around or check it while riding on an art car. It's personal responsibility.

The people who do get to go to BRC are mostly awesome, and I spent most of my time with them. But when I had a moment to myself, and wanted to hear my boyfriend's voice, or tell my sister I missed her and that she would love a particular art installation, I used my time the way I wanted - and reinforced my relationships off playa, while I was still on playa. Via a mobile device.

And if I could have done Four Square from the Man, I would have on that first morning. And it wouldn't have hurt anyone.

We all go to BRC for different reasons, and I don't want anyone to tell me what technology I can or can't use while I'm on the playa (fireworks and weapons excepted).
char

Postby jkisha » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:44 am

Here's the skinny on the Gerlach Cell Tower directly from the latest Jack Rabbit Speaks:

Jack Rabbit Speaks wrote:+ CELL TOWER

A private company (who subcontracts from AT&T and Verizon) put up the cell tower next to the playa in 2009 also put one up in 2010. But due to challenging negotations with land-owners, they were only able to get the tower up by Wednesday of the event. If you happened to look at your phone amidst all the amazing eye-candy that is Burning Man (because, you know, you were bored), you might have seen some bars of service.

Word has it they are planning a permanent cell tower near Gerlach that could provide service to the open playa by 2011.

This is an effort by a private company, and is in no way related to the Burning Man organization.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby jkisha » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:47 am

Kinetic V wrote:http://www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble/

Per the announcement I posted above, if there is an "official" tower permanently installed by Verizon and ATT, I'm sure that using your jamming device would get you arrested.

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Could get you, not would get you.
oneeyeddick

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Kinetic V wrote:... As for legalities, an Extra Class amateur radio license might be helpful in covering one's derriere up to a point. YMMV!

Ummm... not even close - in fact, if you DID have an amateur license (ESP an extra) you could land yourself in hyper hot water.

As a ham you are required to know and follow the rulez the FCC puts out. People that knowingly cause interference to a licensed service ( such as... um... cell phone broadcasts and reception occuring within the the cellular bands) can not only lose their license and privileges, but they can (legally) confiscate your gear (even if it wasn't part of the itnerference-causing device) and on top of that, get the whazzoola fined out of you.

The FCC has been going after people like ape crazy, with huge fines being levelled for knowingly interfering in both ham and non-ham bands... ESPECIALLY the public service (cops, fire, etc.) and commercial (which the cellular service resides within) bands. Ugly situation.

IF the cell company pushed it, and found you, and decided to prosecute (or even just turned you in) it would not only bring the wrath of unca charlie down on you. On top of that... they could shut down the FM BC stations running illegally (including BMIR) during the event. THAT would be ugly, fast.

There is a much easier and legal way to avoid your BRC experience from being interrupted by cellphones - turn yours off and leave it at home! Cheaper, easier, and the FCC won't give your wallet a wedgie.

Also... to add to your knowledge base... the FCC usually does a spot check or 2 on playa. Both because of the licensed public service radio (the org's system, including ESD and Rangers, as well as the LE radios in place) and to follow up on complaints the FM stations are blocking the legit BC stations. They have used RDF gear out there (saw them in 07) to find the "offender" and usually it doesn't go well for them or their gear.

Sorry for the long boring post... but it's stuff that has to be said. If you plan on jamming legit (albiet potentially distasteful) radio, you'll get their attention relatively quickly. After all, BRC ain't that big.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Re: My Experience Was Enhanced by Cell Coverage

Postby Kiro » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:07 pm

char wrote:And if I could have done Four Square from the Man, I would have on that first morning. And it wouldn't have hurt anyone.

Perhaps not, but indulging in such pointless default world piffle seems a pretty boring thing to have on your mind out there.

Leave your cell phones in your cars, allow yourself to get lost, have an adventure.
Kiro

Burning Since: 2017

Postby knowmad » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:... As for legalities, an Extra Class amateur radio license might be helpful in covering one's derriere up to a point. YMMV!

Ummm... not even close - in fact, if you DID have an amateur license (ESP an extra) you could land yourself in hyper hot water.

As a ham you are required to know and follow the rulez the FCC puts out. People that knowingly cause interference to a licensed service ( such as... um... cell phone broadcasts and reception occuring within the the cellular bands) can not only lose their license and privileges, but they can (legally) confiscate your gear (even if it wasn't part of the itnerference-causing device) and on top of that, get the whazzoola fined out of you.

The FCC has been going after people like ape crazy, with huge fines being levelled for knowingly interfering in both ham and non-ham bands... ESPECIALLY the public service (cops, fire, etc.) and commercial (which the cellular service resides within) bands. Ugly situation.

IF the cell company pushed it, and found you, and decided to prosecute (or even just turned you in) it would not only bring the wrath of unca charlie down on you. On top of that... they could shut down the FM BC stations running illegally (including BMIR) during the event. THAT would be ugly, fast.

There is a much easier and legal way to avoid your BRC experience from being interrupted by cellphones - turn yours off and leave it at home! Cheaper, easier, and the FCC won't give your wallet a wedgie.

Also... to add to your knowledge base... the FCC usually does a spot check or 2 on playa. Both because of the licensed public service radio (the org's system, including ESD and Rangers, as well as the LE radios in place) and to follow up on complaints the FM stations are blocking the legit BC stations. They have used RDF gear out there (saw them in 07) to find the "offender" and usually it doesn't go well for them or their gear.

Sorry for the long boring post... but it's stuff that has to be said. If you plan on jamming legit (albiet potentially distasteful) radio, you'll get their attention relatively quickly. After all, BRC ain't that big.

The Ability to jam a Radio/cell system is easy as dirt, and The FCC Would have you believe that they can triangulate your signal and Catch you Every time, Take your license, Confiscate your Gear and Fine you is Laughable. I have made and used Jammers for Various Reasons; Good, Bad, and Illegal. 3-5 expendable jamming units on Random overlapping emissions on mobile platforms, along with a pair of "canntenas" on the Vally walls. And Sparky wouldn't be able to Find Squat. If this Wasn't true There Would be no road side Bombs in Iraq, No Pirate Radio In L.A., or EWCM (Electronic Warfare Counter Measures) Positions in the Military/Police units.

Our Governments Can't protect us from what it can't understand, nor can their Agencies. Freedom of Communication is a Global human Right. No Electronic Priest needed for Supplication.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
knowmad

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Postby jkisha » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:58 pm

Kiro wrote:
char wrote:And if I could have done Four Square from the Man, I would have on that first morning. And it wouldn't have hurt anyone.

Perhaps not, but indulging in such pointless default world piffle seems a pretty boring thing to have on your mind out there.

Leave your cell phones in your cars, allow yourself to get lost, have an adventure.

Interesting, had I thought of that, I would have checked in too! I'd bet if enough people checked in, Four Square would create a special Burning Man badge. Now that would be cool. Might be boring to you, but would be extra fun for me. Each to their own.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby Kiro » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:05 pm

jkisha wrote: I'd bet if enough people checked in, Four Square would create a special Burning Man badge. Now that would be cool. Might be boring to you, but would be extra fun for me. Each to their own.

Kill me.

[edit] Do you REALLY want to see thousands of people frantically 'checking in' to camps, and updating their Facebook every 10 yards? People staring at their cellphones in isolation was what I thought we were escaping out there..
Kiro

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:12 pm

knowmad wrote:
Bay Bridge Sue wrote:

The Ability to jam a Radio/cell system is easy as dirt, and The FCC Would have you believe that they can triangulate your signal and Catch you Every time, Take your license, Confiscate your Gear and Fine you is Laughable. I have made and used Jammers for Various Reasons; Good, Bad, and Illegal. 3-5 expendable jamming units on Random overlapping emissions on mobile platforms, along with a pair of "canntenas" on the Vally walls. And Sparky wouldn't be able to Find Squat. If this Wasn't true There Would be no road side Bombs in Iraq, No Pirate Radio In L.A., or EWCM (Electronic Warfare Counter Measures) Positions in the Military/Police units.

Our Governments Can't protect us from what it can't understand, nor can their Agencies. Freedom of Communication is a Global human Right. No Electronic Priest needed for Supplication.

So does this mean you are for or against jamming?

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Kiro wrote:
jkisha wrote: I'd bet if enough people checked in, Four Square would create a special Burning Man badge. Now that would be cool. Might be boring to you, but would be extra fun for me. Each to their own.

Kill me.

[edit] Do you REALLY want to see thousands of people frantically 'checking in' to camps, and updating their Facebook every 10 yards? People staring at their cellphones in isolation was what I thought we were escaping out there..

No, I don't. But checking in once at the man would be great!

When I go to BM I don't go to "escape" anything. My life is my life and BM is just another part of that life. Sometimes things just converge, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sorry you feel your life is so bad you need to totally escape from it.

JK
JK
jkisha

Next

Return to Open Discussion