CALLING ALL CHOIR FOLKS and SINGERS!! Playa Choir 2009!!!!!

CALLING ALL CHOIR FOLKS and SINGERS!! Playa Choir 2009!!!!!

Postby mamasaid » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:48 pm

Hey singers, wanna-be-singers, choir folks and former members,

It's Madi, and I'm formally announcing on EPLAYA that the playa choir is ON again for this years burn...!

Here are the deets~!

WE MEET ON:
Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat at 10:30 am
AT:
Jazz Cafe, right around Center Camp, just ask anyone, it's been around for years...
WE SING:
a mix of gospel, choral, a cappella, spirituals, improvisational circle songs
WE PERFORM:
on Sunday morning at 11 am with a 10 am dress rehearsal...it's a playa style sunday gospel service...

Some things I teach by ear, some things I give written music for, and some things we will make up in the moment.

If you are a choir singer, a shower singer, a folk singer, a jazz singer, an out of tune singer, an opera singer, a whatever-you-want-to call your self singer, come and join this choir. I LOVE doing this choir, it's my favorite choir experience I have ALL YEAR LONG!

WE WELCOME RHYTHM SECTION PLAYERS TOO!!!!!

quick about me:
I teach now at Washington State University running their vocal jazz ensemble. I got my BM and MM in Choir-Dorkness and I sing and play piano. I love choral music and I love working with groups of singers!

I hope you can join us, the choir and the service seem to grow like crazy every year!!

If you would like more info, write me back and I'll be happy to talk more...
madis_service@yahoo.com

see you out there!
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire
mamasaid

Postby swampdog » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm all over it. I've newly discovered a love for choir singing. See you there.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby mamasaid » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:54 am

cool, us mellower cougs love the west side huskies! wait, thats UW...what's WW??

Madi!
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire
mamasaid

Postby swampdog » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Vikings.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

CHOIR!! YAY!

Postby Bell T. » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:01 pm

Hey, is it Madi? (Name right?)
I'm Bell, also SF, love choir singing and would love to join in. If you're around bay area, we could meet before perhaps.

I'll be at 4:30 and A this year. Nice and close to CCamp.

Looking forward to it. Email me if I can do anything for ya.
Bell
aka Suzanna
imaginecreating@yahoo.com
Flow
Bell T.

Postby penrose » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:51 am

Sa-weet. Might this also be a place where little a cappela groups coalesce? It is so blissful to sing ...
penrose

I want to enlist acaplayans for a project

Postby kilngod » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:00 pm

Oooh, trained vocal musicians ready to play! Perfect! Here's my "project": In the spirit of the evolution theme, I am bringing a monolith, a la 2001, that I (we) will place in a camp (randomly? selected), preferably at sunrise, several times througghout the week, maybe once in front off the Temple, too, at the end of the week. I want to bring the music, too, loud enough to wake folks up to inspire them to act like evolving monkeys. But a boombox would be tacky. Either a robust kazoo orchestra or an acapella choir would be sooo much better, to blast out the Straussian stylings of Also Sprach Zarathustra. Problem is I dont have the chops to lead any group large or small in this musical/performance. You get where I'm going with this? Can you see it?
So, I will bring the kazoos (100 - 200) in the hopes of assembling a group capable of making a din. Would you like to participate? I figure it would take a little practice, but not too much -- the climactic part of the score is pretty short.
Also, it would be great to gather anyone with a monkey costume or even just primitive types, to overrun the camp being blessed with this gift of monolithian music.
BTW, I have no idea how to coordinate this.
I am
Kilngod
kilngod

Postby Oldguy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:33 pm

Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

a cappella groups?

Postby mamasaid » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:24 pm

penrose,

not so much, it's a choir and we rehearse. In the past, I have asked a few folks to do their own thing, like these 4 sisters who keep coming back. they've been singing together since they were kids, so I usually have them do something. sometimes acaplaya sings a number, but not necessarily a venue to seek out.

but feel welcome to come and sing with us and bring the rest of your group if you like!
mamasaid

Postby Minxy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:42 pm

Ooh this sounds fun.

I'll come, unless the playa eats me! :D
Minxy

Playa Choir

Postby SINdy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi Madi,
Thanks so much for the long and informative email about the Choir.
Looks like a great year and a fabulous group.

Question -- rehearsals start at 10:30 for how long - an hour or so -
or is the finish time completely open-ended ?

Thanks !
SINdy
SINdy

Postby Deb Prothero » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:40 am

mamasaid;

Was just wondering if the choir might make an appearance at a memorial?

A memorial for Caleb "Shooter" Schaber is planned to take place at Rue Morgue in the 9:00 plaza on Thursday evening from 6PM-7PM. Then we will move to the playa to burn an Outsider Art sculpture that his friends will have created throughout the week.

Caleb's taste in music would include any and all genres. His very favourite tune was by Prince
"When Doves Cry" http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1326161348

and another by Prince "When Eye Lay my Hands on You" http://www.mp3lyrics.org/p/prince/when-i/

and also a song by Portugal. The Man "Created" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQoSvowHBVg and this is my personal favourite.

Also Caleb enjoyed anything by Leonard Cohen or Jimi Hendrix.

Look forward to hearing from you. I will sporadically be online this week as I leave tomorrow for the 2500 mile journey to the playa.

Deb
Deb Prothero

Postby Deb Prothero » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:20 pm

mamasaid has responded by private email and indicates that this would be difficult for the choir to do as you rehearse for the Sunday service and do the Critical Tits event.

If there are any singers who would like to volunteer for this memorial please feel free to get in touch with me by email.

I leave for the playa tomorrow (2500 miles) but there are places on the road that have internet. I'll check here and my email.

And I'll come to your first practice, as mamasaid suggested, to see if I can find volunteers.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

Albert Camus
Deb Prothero

Return to 2009 Art & Performance