Calling all Mutant Vehicles with sound systems!

Calling all Mutant Vehicles with sound systems!

Postby infinight » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:28 pm

So here is my idea. We currently are building our art car this year and have been contacted by a couple of other mutant vehicles that would be interested.
I would like to plan a party one night in the playa where 4 or 5 art cars with sound systems gather in a circle and link our sound systems together! Other than the obvious notion that it will be hard to decide who will be the main source of audio (wild card draw maybe) I think this could be really fun!

If your interested, post a reply or email me morganlavery@gmail.com

Any ideas or suggestions on the best way to pull this off? I have seen art cars do this before at the temple on Wednesdays but am interested in meeting other like minded artists that want to throw a bad ass party.

:P
infinight

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:15 pm

FM transmitter?
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby oscillator » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:46 pm

OK, the MV & I are in, but we only play Stravinsky and Hendrix.

\\osc
oscillator

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Space Cowboys does this everynight with the unimog.......
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby toxic07 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

let know once you figured it out. Wanna see this collaboration :) should be fun and loud ,/,,/
//
Life is damn beautiful to live it short
toxic07

Postby Jordan 10-E » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:12 pm

I know of a great installation you might want to circle around if you pull this off.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Postby oscillator » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:07 pm

Even tho it is are the simplest & most straightforward approach, can't imagine long audio cable runs between MVs, so a series of commercial FM transmitters might work. Maybe some supplemental antennas would increase the range, or have each MV re-broadcast the signal.

Tho, with all the differing frequencies used in commercial devices, it may be a challenge to sync them. Each MV would need to coordinate via a local dress rehearsal to ensure compatible MHZ, or just broadcast on all available freqs.

Other more complicated ideas: a Wi-Fi LAN or a portable "pirate" radio to broadcast from the mothership.

Or what the heck, each MV could just beat-match tunes to 130BPM and mash it up.

Lastly: An ensemble performance of John Cage's 4'33" would work well and solve all techy issues.

\osc
oscillator

Postby infinight » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:56 pm

Oscillator. FM transmitters might be an awesome idea although do you really think a 100 foot XLR cable wouldnt work? I dont think it will either, I can see some randoms dragging at with their bikes, tripping over it, and screwing the whole thing up. FM is probably the only way to go. I also like the BPM idea! Just make sure there are no crap DJ's to trainwreck. FYI I have had 4 other MV's (one with a 70kw sound system) reply to me via email about this and it looks like its actually going to happen. Its looking like wednesday.

Email me @ morganlavery@gmail.com for more info.

Thanks
infinight

Postby infinight » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:12 pm

Upon further speculation I think that (1) 100 foot XLR cable per MV linked from roof to roof would work best.
infinight

New Updates/ MV Owner Operator Meet and Greet!

Postby infinight » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:24 pm

Ravens’ Nest
9:00 and D
Look for the zip line!
7pm! Tuesday!

Come meet other MV owners that will be participating in the event and network, as well as figure out if anyone needs more/ longer cables, audio requirements, start times, and location. We plan on starting the event on wed night, 10pm playa time! We currently have (6) confirmed MV's on board and talks of a mobile fire spinning platform being installed in the middle of our "MV RING". So come bring your asses over to the meet and greet! If you wanna play you gotta stay! No but really come and meet us so this event can really go off. Larger MV's that need substantial space are asked to please contact morganlavery@gmail.com on or before the event to make sure we have enough cabling, proper positioning etc. We are all excited about the event wed and will C U there!

Ask for Infinight or FurSure.

I will post more updates on the exact location closer to the event
infinight

Return to 2009 Art & Performance