I camp in an EZ Up.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby Sail Man » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:30 pm

Token wrote:Geez, cut off the foot pad and use 1 inch conduit ...

I doubt the OP has a trailer and full sized truck to use as a windbreak.

But geez, my legs are bigger, gonna need 2" EMT 8)

And I like my foot pads the way they are, works good in northern michigan in sandy soils with them on.

Last yr only had the truck, they did great, this year throwing in a new rv :D
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:46 pm

We used 10x10 EZ-UPS the last 3 years or so for our kitchen area and it worked out great. The walls were detachable which was nice to let air flow while cooking in the mornings, and close them up when cooking at night or in dust storms. They lasted a few years over and eventually some of the metal bars started to bend and ware, but they are still completely playa worthy. Though we will not be bringing them this year. We've got upgrades. What! What! :mrgreen:

The only real advice to be given as far as most every structure out there is the proper guy-wiring and staking of the structure. Be it a tent, an EZ-UP, a carport, or even domes. Ive seen unsecured steel conduit domes flip completely over because someone didn't cut holes in the parachute that was covering it. Most importantly have fun and stay safe whatever you do.

I will actually be bringing one of the 10x10 EZ-UPS though and filling it showers! :shock: :D :shock: Big huge walk-in community shower. Holla!

Our kitchen and commune area will be a bit more bad ass this year with the GP Tent. I'm pretty excited.

-AJ )'(
Absolut Jeenyus

They are great

Postby aber65 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:30 am

I have used the same easy up shade structures for years. You just have to sturdy up the frame structure a little. Here is how I do it.

-Pound 8" gutter spikes into the holes at the bottom of the legs to attache the legs to the playa.
- Install 1/2 inch by 18inch rebar, bent over like a candy-cane, "next" to each leg, maybe one or two inches away. Pound the rebar in so that the all you have sticking up are the top loops of the candy-cane shape. (helps save toes)
- Next, install cross bracing. With some good nylon rope or parachute chord, tie one end to the rebar in the ground and one end to the opposite upper corner of the shade structure. Now do it in the opposite direction to that you end up with an "X" pattern in the opening.

If you do this on three sides of you ez-up, then on the end where you have your entrance go tie a rope from the top of the leg down to the rebar on each side of the open end, your shade structure will withstand some serious wind.
aber65

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:38 am

I'm pretty sure hammers and rebar wouldn't make it through airport security!
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Rebar! er something like it!

Postby aber65 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:48 am

Hammers and rebar are a must on playa. You might want to figure a way to organize these essentials where ever you fly into. Tents and such have been known to fly, literally, hundreds of fee into the air. I seen it with be own two eyes. Good luck!
aber65

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:28 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Thanks for your reply.

I've been camping in it for years, in lieu of a tent. It is far preferable, for me, to a tent.

One reason being airflow (the other being it takes up less space, and is ridiculously easier to set up and take down). Instead of having to pull a rainfly on and off, I simply pull back the walls on both sides (I have mesh behind it).

I do not have the resources for one of those carports. My theme camp has plenty of shade structures, to boot.

To me, the above invalidates all the future stuff. If I were you, I'd simply ditch the EZ up effort and buy a cheapie pup tent from some large retailer for less than $40. Simply put some plastic sheeting over the venting, put rainfly over that. Buy 4 military style stakes and that will be more than enough to secure a low profile tent, especially if you can locate it behind a vehicle.

Throw your gear inside and you're done. No point in fussing around with the EZ up that may fail, especially when you have tons of evidence that they do, with a few that they won't.

Personally, I'd rather do the small tent route and be done with it. Practice a couple times at home and you should have this built in about 10 min, 30 in strong wind, tops.

As you pointed out, your theme camp has ample social shade for during the day. Why waste time with anything else, then?
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:34 am

Personally, I like to stand up in my tent. After enjoying the EZ Up so heavily, it's tough to go back.

Plus, a tent with all that over it sounds really hot and suffocating!

Not to mention, once I threw my gear in a pup tent, there'd be no room for me. 8)

I still don't know what I'll use this year - last years dome was PERFECT, but I don't know how to get it out there - and it's a pain to set up with less than 3 or so people. :evil:
C.f.M.

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:00 am

C.f.M. wrote:Personally, I like to stand up in my tent. After enjoying the EZ Up so heavily, it's tough to go back.

Plus, a tent with all that over it sounds really hot and suffocating!

Not to mention, once I threw my gear in a pup tent, there'd be no room for me. 8)

I still don't know what I'll use this year - last years dome was PERFECT, but I don't know how to get it out there - and it's a pain to set up with less than 3 or so people. :evil:

Hmmm... I guess we have radically different expectations for what happens in a tent. In your described situation (with theme camp with lots of shade for haning out) I would have assumed the tent would be used for sleeping, sex and if modest, some clothing changes.

Think more sleeping berth on a train sleeper car than apartment.

You'd do all the rest within the shade structure of your theme camp.

<shrugs>

I'm just all for people getting to enjoy the city as much as possible. I did this huge elaborate thing my first year and upon reflection, realized that I could have removed tons of it and still done what I did, etc.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:29 am

Note, if you will, somebody resurrected this thread from last year...I have no idea what I'm camping in this year.

In my tent I sleep on an air mattress, brush teeth, do contacts, change, pee, journal...eat...I could not get "laid" on the playa, so I only need room for me. Last year, the camp's shade structure didn't matter, it was MUCH less windy/sandy in my dome, when I felt like downtime (didn't have anybody at camp to hang out with).

I like being able to just walk in and out and move around normally (as opposed to crawling/hunched over).

I'm trying to downsize a lot this year - very largely out of necessity. Very limited space on the van I'm driving there in, no theme camp w/any amenities...yet.
C.f.M.

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:04 pm

Not that it makes a bit a difference, but I thought you were hooking up with Stagger Inn this year?
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Bounce530 wrote:Not that it makes a bit a difference, but I thought you were hooking up with Stagger Inn this year?

I'd like to, I think, it just kinda all depends on how I'm getting there and such...I'm hoping that the people I drive with will also want to camp there, so we can just roll up and get started...because Stagger Camp, let's face it, is the best. :wink:
C.f.M.

Postby MedullaB » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Realize the original post was old, but for anyone else considering/reading:

I've used two 10x10 EZ ups at BM 07 and 08... both survived, even the crazy winds of 07 where shade structures were lucky to survive. That being said, after missing last year, I am looking at my EZ up and they have taken a beating and I won't be bringing them as I don't think they would last another year. The problem with EZ ups is that if and when they break, they become nasty to try and take home with you.

The trick with the EZ ups is to properly (OVERKILL) stake them down tight. We use 16" rebar with large washers welded to the top (no need to bend) and in 07 even those were starting to pull and we had to quickly hammer some back down during the storm. When planning how to stake it, keep in mind that the EZ will want to twist its way into the ground in the wind. We didn't use the sides to the EZ up and only used it for shade... because of its height though, I found that your 109x10 patch of shade moves around A LOT...

This year we are making a new shade structure using construction blind material and PVC pipe... hope it works! :)

M
MedullaB

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:59 pm

C.f.M. wrote:I like being able to just walk in and out and move around normally (as opposed to crawling/hunched over).

That's exactly it.

This year im going to try a 2 tent method, one small one under my shade for sleeping and a giant tent that im worried about how i am going to keep it from flying away for changing and the other tent stuff you do
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby unjonharley » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:I like being able to just walk in and out and move around normally (as opposed to crawling/hunched over).

That's exactly it.

This year im going to try a 2 tent method, one small one under my shade for sleeping and a giant tent that im worried about how i am going to keep it from flying away for changing and the other tent stuff you do

Check out North Pole shades.. There 30x30..

There is a thread in here (Eplaya) some where also..

Got mine from Am. Heartland..
unjonharley

Postby teardropper » Mon May 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Another story about EZ Ups. About half good. One of our camp mates put one up, a 10x10 of unknown to me, brand. It housed his drum kit. (It didn't bother me 'cause he didn't play it much.) By Tues or Wed it was in danger. So he put it half down. There were a lot of travel trailers, campers and funky RV's that it helped break the wind and it survived in its half up, or down, condition. Isn't that amazin'?
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby unjonharley » Tue May 04, 2010 9:09 am

teardropper wrote:Another story about EZ Ups. About half good. One of our camp mates put one up, a 10x10 of unknown to me, brand. It housed his drum kit. (It didn't bother me 'cause he didn't play it much.) By Tues or Wed it was in danger. So he put it half down. There were a lot of travel trailers, campers and funky RV's that it helped break the wind and it survived in its half up, or down, condition. Isn't that amazin'?

I got a 9x9 Wally picnic cover last fall, $29.. Put it up over the chipper.. Only added a center pole.. It's been up all winter through some real hell wind and rain.. Just have to stake em down right..
unjonharley

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping