What foods are best for the playa????

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

What foods are best for the playa????

Postby ellorbito » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:16 pm

We need help deciding what food to take. This is our second year and we want to be prepared. We dont remember eating anything, I mean we dont remember anything at all. So, maybe you have some good suggestions for food to bring with. Something you may have found you could not live without or that one tasty morsel that made your day shiny and new. What ever you find to be your favorite will be a great suggestion for us. Thanks a bunches.
ellorbito

Postby Token » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:54 pm

Bacon
liverwust
smoked oysters
pickles
herring
deviled olives
steak
lamb shanks
ribs
chicken
beer
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Myliatronic » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:55 pm

if you search the board there are a ton of threads on this topic :)
some of my favorites:

foods:

frozen fruit salad! - i always buy up a bunch of fresh fruit, chop it up, and freeze it before the burn. if you store it in ziplox and squeeze all the air out, you can just lay it flat in your freezer and it ends up very compact. it also helps keep your cooler cooler for longer ;)

bagged tuna steaks - you can find these right next to the canned tuna in the store. great for quick tasty protein, these are pre-spiced and dont need refrigerating..you can even take them out with you when you leave camp for a quick snack while you are out and about (dont forget to bring a fork ;) ).

chips and salsa - essential! a very social food, and salty and crunchy is good for the soul.

granola/trail mix - kind of obvious, but not to be left out, i make big batches of my own at home, measure them out into little single serving size lumps and wrap in foil. cheap and wonderful!

olives - salty and very energy-dense due to the high fat content.

good dark chocolate - perfection. this is the most wonderful thing to break out 5 days into your week to treat yourself.

drinks:

tomato/veggie juice - the saltiness is so so good when you are running a little dehydrated, for some reason it just tastes like heaven out there!

coconut water - so hydrating and yummy (and very portable)! keep one by your bed so when you wake up hot as hell in your dome/tent/yurt/whatever you can chug one right when you rise. trust me :)

emergen-c, protein drinks - the harsh environment on the playa, along with the glee of adventuring, will deplete your body of important vitamins and minerals. i always keep emergen-c on hand to replenish electrolytes, and a good protein shake mix, like Alive or any non-denatured whey protein powder will do wonders for your energy levels.

when choosing foods, keep in mind that you wont want to do much preparation as the heat can be pretty exhausting and the city is one big distraction that will always be tugging at you. think plenty of portable foods, but don't go overboard with it. cooking just a couple nice meals can really make your week more enjoyable. our first year everything we brought was canned, dried, dehydrated, prepackaged, and we really missed real food!

hope this helps a bit! :)
Myliatronic

Postby pizzamancer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:25 pm

I will be having pizza, lasagna, salmon, pizza, bacon, mojitos, more bacon, and some pizza.

playa dust is spice.
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Postby SilverOrange » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:23 am

I couldn't decide where to put this, so this food thread seemed like as good a place as any. I was just at our regional event, Lakes of Fire. In an attempt to keep my cooler as funk free as possible I bought a selection of zip lock bags to keep my food segregated from my ice and melt water. About half of the ones I bought were the new fangled zip locks with the plastic "zipper" closer. AVOID THESE AT ALL COST! Not a single one ended up being water tight! They all ended up leaking or filling up with water. Stick with the old fashioned zip locks which performed excellently or better yet vacuum seal.
SilverOrange

Postby bs bob » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:28 am

york peppermint patties-dried fruit--chai tea iced w soymilk-a playa staple is pancakes and of course bacon-mixed nuts-dagoba chai chocolate bars-laughing cow cheese spread-crackers-your favorite salty and sweet snacks-blabk beans-chocolate milk-apples so you can poop-chocolate covered cherries and bannanna chips-aqui and yerba mate for energy-pumpkin and flax granola bars are good
bs bob

Postby bs bob » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:29 am

oh and freeze a few gallons of water before you go to cut down on ice costs-i freeze like 10
bs bob

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:09 am

Whatever you take, remove all wrappings. Put what you can into plastic bags, freeze flat, to help keep cooler longer and save space. This works very well for at least pudding (raw pudding full of nutritious stuff, not just milk), hummus, ceviche, black bean soup/salsa, etc.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby gypsy68 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:09 pm

Frozen Capri Suns.
Luna bars. (I love these because I could toss them into my pack and leave for the day)
Hormel Pre-cooked bacon from Costco!

I don't cook. Not even at home. For me it's about food that I can grab and go.
gypsy68

Burning Since: 2004

Postby Oldguy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:28 pm

Canned goods keep well. What was good for grandpa is good enough for me; vennie wennies, pork and beans, peaches or fruit cocktail. I put raviolios on the dashbord to heat up, only takes an hour in the sun.

Remember your can opener and spork. As a vet, I wear a p-51 with my dogtags. I shop at the dollar store, most of their groceries are non-perishable anyway. I buy soup cans with the pulltab, eat right out of the can. Always carry a big cup along with your water bottle, someone may offer you a tasty snack.

You can get fast food in Reno to last for the first couple of days...fried chicken, pizza, long johns fish, etc... I make a bread sack of sandwiches for first day.

You can always pay to go on the shuttle bus to Brunos for some diner food late in the week. A couple years ago, I had to go in to make a phonecall, I got some chicken fried steak that was fabulous. The waitress loved the origami dollar bills someone gave her as tips...

Your not going to starve in a week, don't worry about it. I carry lemon drops in my pockets for energy when I get tired or grumpy. You will get grumpy, just drink some water and swallow some food. Have fun!
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby camp-photon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:16 pm

One of the most satisfying meals I ever had was a chicken and rice dish in mushroom sauce that a neighbor fed me after too many days of eating from cans.

What made it great was the fact that it was home cooked and preserved in a bag before the event.

He took home cooked meals and would seal them in bags. They were frozen solid and placed in coolers. The cold meals kept the other items in the cooler fresh while it thawed slowly.

After they softened, the prepared meals were boiled in the bags for clean and easy prep.
camp-photon

Postby The Drifter » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:50 pm

For some reason wheat pasta tastes quite exceptional out there and is quite easy to make with a camp stove. Another thing I like is tabouli salad stored in Tupperware or hummus and carrots. None of these create a lot of garbage considering other options and it sure tastes better than seven days of energy bars.

All of this can be tastefully washed down with a steaming cup of virgin's blood. (Sorry, I can only play Martha Stewart for so long.....)
The Drifter

Postby Sail Man » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:12 pm

Trader Joes for pre-cooked indian rice mixes, and a variety of other foil packed meats, stews, etc. Try their soups in a box, the tomato is awesome.

Buy giant ziploc bags, put ice from artica in them and when they melt you have either drinking water, shower water or both if you lean your head back, open you mouth and stick your tongue out like this...Image

Another tip, put your food in the waterproof river style bags, per Dr Pyro the food stays frozen wayyyy longer.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby pizzamancer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:36 pm

SilverOrange wrote:About half of the ones I bought were the new fangled zip locks with the plastic "zipper" closer. AVOID THESE AT ALL COST! Not a single one ended up being water tight! They all ended up leaking or filling up with water.

You do need to close the zipper on those you know. They tend to be much more water tight that way.
pizzamancer

Postby **burn** » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:32 am

Sail Man wrote:Image

I like this smiley.
**burn**

Postby SilverOrange » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:17 am

pizzamancer wrote:
SilverOrange wrote:About half of the ones I bought were the new fangled zip locks with the plastic "zipper" closer. AVOID THESE AT ALL COST! Not a single one ended up being water tight! They all ended up leaking or filling up with water.

You do need to close the zipper on those you know. They tend to be much more water tight that way.

You mean they aren't self closing? WTF?
SilverOrange

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:12 am

you people must begin to think out of the box.

evolve already.

all it takes is a rental car and a credit card.

monday.....taco bell
tuesday.....olive garden
wed..........thai
thursday... indian tandoori
friday.......fish fry, duh.
saturday...domino's pizza....they WILL deliver if you gift them well enough.
Sunday....Applebees take out.
Monday....Raviolis at Bruno's.

now, take all that plastic wrap and baggies you were going to use for food and recycle, no UPCYCLE them into wearable art.

i cant wait til they FINALLY install the fucking food court at center camp.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:53 am

[quote="**burn**"][quote="Sail Man"][img]http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/tongue/tongue0013.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I like this smiley.[/quote]

It tickles.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby SilverOrange » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:01 am

It tickles even more if you go to your profile and enable BBCode and Smilies, or just do it right below the "Post a reply" window.
SilverOrange

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:06 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:monday.....taco bell
tuesday.....olive garden
wed..........thai
thursday... indian tandoori
friday.......fish fry, duh.
saturday...domino's pizza....they WILL deliver if you gift them well enough.
Sunday....Applebees take out.
Monday....Raviolis at Bruno's.
You mean I"ve been living off Indian Tacos all this time when this was available.

Although, not Bruno's. That's where the DPW casualties end up.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby burnerboy33 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:30 pm

what are deviled olives?
burnerboy33

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 am

What's deviled egg? It's got a fork stuck in it.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:01 am

EZ Cheese is one of nature's perfect foods, and is very well-suited to the playa.
It doesn't require refrigeration, comes in a dust-proof aerosol container, and is yummy.

The empty cans can simply be buried.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Good meals on the playa

Postby yellowdog » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:42 pm

After several years of not eating much while on the playa and hating the clean-up that happens when you do prepare food, I came upon a great way to eat really good meals. I precook all of my favorites at home (ie pasta dishes such as mac & cheese, bean dishes such as lentils or black-eyed peas, stews) then freeze them in vacuum packed "seal-a-meal" bag. I have a Foodsaver brand vacuum sealer that does the job. Then when ready to eat, I put the bag (either still frozen or thawed) into boiling water to heat it up and eat directly from the bag. Even pasta maintains its consistency and doesn't get mushy. Minimal mess and clean-up. And I reuse that same pot of water for many meals.

There are some commercial foods that you can buy packaged like this such as "Tasty Bites" that are also great. You can even buy rice that is in a boil bag that works well. Yes it's converted rice but it tastes great on the playa.
yellowdog

Postby Token » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:33 pm

burnerboy33 wrote:what are deviled olives?

Olives stuffed with hot peppers instead of pimentos. Makes for a blazing dirty martini. When consumed properly, it will burn you twice.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby The Drifter » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:43 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:i cant wait til they FINALLY install the fucking food court at center camp.

You expect me to ride my bike all the way to Center Camp? UNACCEPTABLE!!!

I expect my grease to be hand delivered and that I be spoon fed whilst I watch "Dancing With the Stars."
The Drifter

Postby brcprincess » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:42 am

If you don't remember eating anything at all, then I'm guessing easy, no fuss food is best for you.

I would recommend canned soup, as it's easy to heat and eat and non threatening.

If you are feeling more adventurous, you could try canned baked beans, which are full of protein and once again, easy to prepare and consume.

There are also loads of canned pastas, for example mac + cheese, ravioli etc.

This is obviously extremely basic. But I recall these foods saving my ass on many occasions when I was too exhausted/wasted to contemplate actually cooking.

Good luck!
brcprincess

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:13 am

spoon fed whilst I watch "Dancing With the Stars."

that is such a theme camp waiting to happen....

me personally, i only watch Wozniak and L'il Kim.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
spoon fed whilst I watch "Dancing With the Stars."

that is such a theme camp waiting to happen....

me personally, i only watch Wozniak and L'il Kim.

ARe you sure it's not an astrology and trance dj camp?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:40 pm

i am most assuredly, undeniably, without a doubt, 99 and 44/100 percent sure that i have no idea which camp that it is you speak of.

narrow the number down to like, under 300, with a little more specifics.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks