anyone think this would work?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

anyone think this would work?

Postby ok_burner » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:33 pm

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... ductDetail

i doubt i will get it.. but it seems like a pretty neat investment.
ok_burner

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:49 pm

As long as it's adequately secured...the frequent and unexpected wind storms destroy anything that's not securely tied down...and I mean tear it to shreds!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby ourania » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:24 pm

I bought this exact shade structure specifically for Burning Man. This is my first year, so we'll see how it goes. I can tell you I had it out last weekend for a trial run while camping. We had a pretty good thunderstorm one night with fairly decent winds. Not, I'm sure, what you see on the playa, but still. It held up fine. I am planning on staking all points with rebar and I'll probably use a ton of duct tape, rope and whatever else I can think of to make sure it doesn't go sailing down the playa. I'm thinking that with the big mesh openings on all sides, it should allow most of the air to just pass through as opposed to catching it.
ourania

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:14 pm

Be careful of the rebar. Protect the unwary by securing plastic bottles over the exposed ends. If it's there someone will surely trip over it and there's not many things worse than a rebar gash. Some folks bend the ends like a candy cane before hammering them in the ground. Not only protects the end for trippers, but makes the bars easier to pull out by inserting a rod or handle thru the candy cane loop and giving it a bunch of twists.

Some may disagree, but rebar is overkill for a tent or light shade structure. I've used 10" nail-like tent stakes (about .49 ea. at most camping supply stores) and never had a problem with my 12X15 tent. They're easier to pack, drive in flush with the surface, no exposed ends, they hold securely, and you can pull them out with less persuasion than rebar....YMMV....we learn by living.

That being said, no matter if you use tree trunks for stakes, the line or cord must now be considered the weakest link. If one uses the flimsy lines or loops that come with the structure, those will fail before the stake pulls out. Upgrade.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby ourania » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:42 pm

Good point about the lines. I'm looking into buying some climbing rope to use for guy lines. I'm hoping it'll be strong enough to stand up to the winds. I know everyone talks about big plastic soda bottles to cover the rebar but what about tennis balls. I though they might kinda glow in the dark and be more obvious. I'm thinking I'll drive all but the last 6" or so into the ground and cap them with the tennis balls. I tried the candy cane method but found on a camping trip a couple of weeks ago that they were harder to drive in (sledge hammer hitting curved edge and all) to the ground and that was with earth not nearly as hard as the playa.
ourania

Postby Boijoy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm

those adjustable tie downs with the black hooks on the ends work real well also. I purchased a package of 4. 10 footers for about 20 bucks. THEN you don't have to tie knots ( which I suck at ) & you can re-use them. I got bright yellow.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:47 pm

That center pole looks a little sketchy to me. Might stop off at a lumber yard and pick up an 8' 2x4 to replace the pole if it bends. 2x4's are cheap. Make sure it has no knots that affect it's strength. Cut it to length at the store or on the playa after asking around for a saw. Collect the saw dust so it does not become moop. :)
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Sail Man » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:59 pm

Or check the outside diameter of the enclosed pole, and buy some EMT conduit to "sleeve" over it for added strength.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby ygmir » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:25 pm

Boijoy wrote:those adjustable tie downs with the black hooks on the ends work real well also. I purchased a package of 4. 10 footers for about 20 bucks. THEN you don't have to tie knots ( which I suck at ) & you can re-use them. I got bright yellow.

yeah, but, there's a certain satisfaction in a well tied "truckers hitch".........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ourania » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:42 pm

I like the idea of reinforcing the centre pole that's already there. The key I've found when I've put it up is making sure it's perfectly vertical, which requires that each tie-down point be at the same tension as all the others or else it ends up lopsided. Once it's vertical (with the reinforcement or conduit) I'll lash the pole to 2 rebar stakes at the base using tons of duct tape I think. The base of the pole has small holes for those useless 6" stakes that come with the tent
ourania

Postby mikesieben » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

We just ordered one for our camp as well.

I am flying from NYC to SFO and then driving in an RV to the burn. Shipping the tent out to SFO in advance too, so wont be able to measure that pole just yet.

Let me know what you decide to strengthen yours with... I wanna plan ahead on where I can get something to strengthen ours with on the way from SF to the burn.
mikesieben

Postby ourania » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:32 pm

I'll take it out tonight and measure the length/diameter of the pole and let you know. It breaks down into 4 or 5 pieces that attach using the little pushy in button things that go into the little holes on the next piece. Is there a name for those little pushy in things? ANYWAY, I'll post the measurements on this thread when I've got them. As far as what it's made of...it seems to be tubular steel of some sort, it's way too heavy to be aluminum.
ourania

Postby Boijoy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:40 pm

they are officially called " little pushy in button things " :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby ourania » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Excellent! It's just so catchy, ain't it?
ourania

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:13 pm

yep, northpole party tent... bought one last year, but didn't bring it. It covers a big area, but needs some additional shade to cover the large door/window areas. They provide one piece of moveable shade, and I think I'll use that as a template for a few more. I am going to get a rope to measure out the right distance from a center point and and then stake all the corners out as tight as possible before putting up the center pole. I am also going to try a few larger diameter sleeves up the center pole, covering the joints. Then I will screw the small base of the center pole onto a larger piece of wood and stake that down, perhaps shim it up a bit to get a really tight pitch. What I wasnt' sure about was the little pig tail endings on the top spreader bars that just poke through the grommets above the doors on three sides. Those look like the most serious problem areas for flapping and tearing. Have you any thoughts on this? Also the tent has no guy out points, I don't think the pebble and string solution will work on this one. I have a handful of old tarp clips and will work on something, perhaps clamping onto a piece of dowel behind a seam. I'm going to have to get a good solution for that before I bring it to the playa. I did see one of these tents last year, looked like it was pitched fairly loosely but well protected on the sides by R.V,s and such.

I will fiddle with this, and in all liklihood, bring my trusty kelty tripod anyway.
Elorrum

Postby mikesieben » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:35 am

ourania wrote:I'll take it out tonight and measure the length/diameter of the pole and let you know. It breaks down into 4 or 5 pieces that attach using the little pushy in button things that go into the little holes on the next piece. Is there a name for those little pushy in things? ANYWAY, I'll post the measurements on this thread when I've got them. As far as what it's made of...it seems to be tubular steel of some sort, it's way too heavy to be aluminum.

Many thank yous!
mikesieben

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:05 am

Ourania, have you devised a fix/support for the top spreaders?

Also, little pushy in button things is a correct translation from the german, where they just run all the words straight together without spacing. In English, we might try putting hyphens between the words. ;)
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:39 pm

Elorrum wrote:Also, little pushy in button things is a correct translation from the german, where they just run all the words straight together without spacing.
Yeah, Bismark invented the compound noun and it rapidly spread to all german speakers. The rest of the world has not upgecaught.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mojo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:30 am

Instead of plastic bottles or tennis balls on rebar, I have a new favorite - pool noodles. The ones with the holes down the center fit just right over the rebar and protect shins as well. I've seen some nasty bloody shins from running against the base of rebar that was otherwise protected at the top.

Our shade structure aslo has those small holes at the bottom - we secure them with bailing wire to rebar.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.
mojo

Postby ourania » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:03 pm

I actually haven't figured out a solution for the top spreaders as yet. They are a bit fussy to set up and create some strange angles inside. I'm actually not convinced they're totally necessary for support. I haven't been able to take the damn thing out to measure the centre pole as yet, but I'm planning on a conduit sleeve to go over the pole for added strength. I like the idea of using an additional plywood platform at the base of the pole though. The existing base only has holes for those skinny little stakes. The wider base that can be better staked seems a much better idea.
I also really like the idea of using pool noodles for stake covers. Waaay better than the tennis ball idea.
ourania

Postby Sail Man » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:05 pm

ygmir wrote:
Boijoy wrote:those adjustable tie downs with the black hooks on the ends work real well also. I purchased a package of 4. 10 footers for about 20 bucks. THEN you don't have to tie knots ( which I suck at ) & you can re-use them. I got bright yellow.

yeah, but, there's a certain satisfaction in a well tied "truckers hitch".........

the same level of satisfaction as with truckers itch?

:wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Re: anyone think this would work?

Postby Samasutra » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:49 am

ok_burner wrote:http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10993628#ProductDetail

i doubt i will get it.. but it seems like a pretty neat investment.

I used this exact shade structure last year and loved it. We will be bringing it again this year for sure. It is incredibly easy to set up, my boyfriend and I had it erected in about 15 min. It provided plenty of shade for 6 people and we enjoyed a nice air flow most of the time. It of course provided little shelter from the dust but I personally like to swim in that shit. We used 18 inch rebar stakes and had no issue with stability all week, even through the monster white outs.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Samasutra

Postby Bravetiger73 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:22 am

I just bought this shade structure also.

I'm planning to use the smaller stakes that came with the structure and use all of them on the center pole. I really don't think duct tape or a board under the pole will add too much structural integrity.

Then I'm planning to stake the corners of the tee-pee with 10" playa staples, basically sharpened, weapon like, candy-caned rebar... only cooler looking.

All this goes on a 30x40 blue tarp to reduce dust.

We are planning to put our 3 man tent inside at night for sleeping but the large mesh screens are worrying me about dust control.

I have some largish sheets of poly plastic stuff that I may try duct taping over the me.

I do like the idea of the center-pole sheath.... first one that measures the diameter of the center pole and posts it gets a cookie!
Bravetiger73

Postby marcgorcey » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 am

How much $ ?
marcgorcey

NorthPole 30' x 30' Party Shade

Postby Bravetiger73 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:46 am

The tent is a NorthPole 30' x 30' Party Shade, you can find it on amazon for $120.

Walmart had it onsale for $88.... I would buy another one if they come back in stock.

Even though there are stronger shade structures, I think this one will work. I think the tent is pretty well sewn, so strong staking should make this playa worthy.

Now with the dust. I don't know if my tarp and polyshield alone will keep the dust from coming in the huge screen mesh. Maybe a used parachute.
Bravetiger73

Postby mojo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:25 am

I think there is no way you will be able to keep dust out effectively. You can keep the dust out of your tent, but not that shade structure.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.
mojo

Postby amuk » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:50 pm

Bought myself one of these a few days ago on eBay for $108 with free shipping. 10 left here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400059398082.

Found it on my doorstep today. Now it is set up in my front yard. Took me and one person about 15 minutes to get it up. It is a bit big for my front yard so it isn't fully tensioned, but it's up enough for me to be very happy with this purchase.

I'm a 6-year Burner and last year tried a portable garage for the first time. Wasn't worth it to me. Way too heavy not enough ventilation, takes a couple hours to put up and secure and way too much rebar needing to be pounded into the playa to secure the thing down.

I'm tempted to reinforce the seams, not that they aren't securely stitched, but my Burner mind wants to reinforce just about everything. I'm no sure what to use. I think Gorilla Tape will melt (please correct me if I'm wrong). Will gaffer's tape provide any extra security? Will it be worth the cost?

The center pole is heavy steel and the joints are very secure. I have no plans to replace or reinforce it. I'll probably mount a piece of plywood to the base to give me larger holes for rebar. I'm planning on making myself some 18" rebar stakes with welded hooks on the end to hold in the 6 corners.

I look forward to seeing how well this thing holds up for us. We plan to set it up at a couple festivals before Burning Man, so if there is any desire for detail photos of parts of the tent I'll get those taken and posted.
amuk

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:02 pm

I for one am very grateful to read about other's work/play with this tent. I bought one last year, but did not bring it. It is tipping the scale for me as almost too big for my car along with my other stuff. I have a little hatchback, and with water and bike, I run out of room very fast. I'd like to bring this, and will sacrifice the space, as it seems like it's getting pretty good marks. I have a folding table I may modify to set with the pole through the middle... sort of like a patio umbrella table. I'd also like to hang my small speakers from the top spreaders.
Elorrum

Postby Samasutra » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:28 pm

Do it, do it, do it. I can't say enough good things about this shade structure. Cheap, easy to set up and extremely sturdy. The quick to set up aspect was a very nice bonus for me last year. In 2007 I attempted to set up a carport with two other people and it ended up taking us 2 hours. By the end of it I was dying from working in the 11AM sun. Quick shade is essential.
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
Samasutra

Postby oldsoul » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:06 am

Used this same tent last year as is out of the box. We staked it with the 12 inch nail style stakes that come with the tent and it took the worst wind that 2008 could offer and did not budge (your mileage may vary). The center pole is very sturdy, no issues there.

It will get dusty if a wind storm blows through, no way around that.
oldsoul

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping