Mankind Research Unlimited

Postby Sync » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:04 pm

Interesting topic thread. Here’s a story that ya’ll might find interesting. So, I’m a psychologist who works with psychotic inmates in a prison mental health facility (polite way of saying I work with the criminally insane, not that they are not human like the rest of us, some of my best friends are crazy, well, you get the idea.) One of the most difficult symptoms to work with is psychotic delusions, no matter how far from reality the belief is, no matter how obvious reality contradicts it, no matter how many people try to tell and demonstrate otherwise, some people stick to their delusions

But part of my job is to try to put things in perspective and “helpâ€
Sync

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:35 pm

Sync wrote:Every so often I find myself doing a group of 30 or so inmates, and 2-3 have this delusion, and I try to reason it out with them. It usually goes something like this; I say it’s technologically impossible to do that. Someone says “yeah, how do you know that (You aren’t gonna convince me is usually implied.) Then I start in with stuff like; there’s 100 billion neurons in the brain, each has up to two hundred thousand connections to other neurons, every synapse connection has tens of thousands of massively complex receptor sights. It would take a computer bigger than the moon to do what your brain does, there is no imaginable technology in the foreseeable future that could monitor all that, and no way to take all that activity and resolve it into something resembling an understandable thought. After that there’s usually a paranoid conversation about secret government technologies, and I wind up on the defensive trying to explain that as a researcher and general interested in on the edge of technology and the brain type geek, stuff like this would have to have shown up in the theoretical and empirical literature a long time ago. Obviously nobody is convinced.
Yeah, but that approach is never going to work. I'm somewhat curious as to how this manifested pre-the cia, for instance. Because we know that people still went through that, how did their malfunctioning brain interpret that?>
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:07 pm

nuropsychology

you would think someone with a P.H.D. would know how to spell something pertaining to their field.

call me a cynic, but....

obviously, i must be delusional.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Sync » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:50 pm

Ouch!
Never said I wasn’t dyslexic or that I’m a good typist. (Spell check usually corrects that mistake, wonder how it missed it this time.) I said I was into it, as in interested, to be an expert I would have to be certified in that specialty.

In any case, my name is Dr. Kirby Surprise (Yeah, well maybe my ancestors should have changed the last name, but it is the family name), my California license number is 22543, just surf on over to the California board of psychology web site and click on license verification. In any case I’m just trying to amuse people here, find folks who are playful and awestruck at the wonder of things, and I like to write.

Treating delusions always involves having to tell someone what is real. It’s easy, just have someone trust you enough to believe that what their heart, mind and experience tells them is true, isn’t. In each culture and time people have tended to have symptoms that follow societal expectations (yup, people go crazy the way they are expected to. At least in form, neurological dysfunctions not withstanding.) Paranoia is an emotional state, a symptom separate from delusions that can be caused by chemical and neurological problems as well as software (psychodynamic and learning) problems.

Diagnostically (love using words like that, makes me feel smart), there are two kings of delusions; bizarre and non-bizarre. Understanding the difference helps explain how people were before we had modern conspiracies and conspirators like the CIA to blame for our paranoia (not that we shouldn’t be paranoid about the CIA and Homeland Security, they are probably monitoring our posts right now….Damm, shouldn’t post things like that, they might retaliate. In fact, that computer virus I got attached to that email from that nice man in Nigeria asking for assistance was probably, no, I’m sure it was an attack by the CIA on me, because they know I know.) That was an example of a non-bizarre delusion. It’s remotely possible, but highly unlikely. Now, a bizarre delusion would be that I AM the director of the CIA (how do you know I’m not?) and that when I had a CAT scan of my head, they found one. I can hear it purring, that’s why I put cat food up my nose. This delusion may not have any paranoid content. If you like cats, the one in your head may be comforting, and if you have the kind of personality that does well in public service jobs…well, you get the idea.

In the past people chose delusions based on the content of their cultures, just as they do today. Spotting bizarre delusions is relatively easy because they tend to be so, well, bizarre. But what about the person who believes that supernatural spirits are seeking retribution or give favors for good or bad behavior? In most of the world that’s called religion. There’s a consensus within each culture on what kind of delusions it will tolerate, or enforce. The scientific empirical perspective is actually pretty open (unless of course it disagrees with your beliefs.) It goes by the premise that if something is not testable or disprovable, you can’t rule it out. So, let’s pick on Christianity for a second (they have more of a sense of humor, some of the other belief systems say it’s ok to kill you for pointing out their…..beliefs.) From the empirical perspective; Jesus was the son of God and the savior. Nothing to say about that, can’t test it, doesn’t pertain to facts that can be examined or events that can be reproduced. From the empirical perspective; The world was created in six day a few thousand years ago. No actual evidence of creationism, overwhelming evidence from many fields of scientific investigation of a very old universe and evolution. But you can’t call the belief a delusion because too many people believe in it, were taught it, and if you try to present facts and logical analysis, it’s like arguing with the folks with diagnosable delusions. The belief is truly not a delusion however, because the surrounding culture accepts and endorses it, making it an actual advantage for the individual’s survival in the culture to believe. It may also provide a sense of identity and have other positive psychological advantages. Of course, if I told someone the ward is full of astral rats, crappy thoughtforms and clouds of dark depressed emotional energy left behind by the suffering clients served there, I’d be the one with the delusions.

Were the ancient civilizations who believed in pantheons of gods whose names are barely remembered today delusional because of those beliefs? Is that the way we will be seen in the distant or perhaps not distant future?

Hell, I don’t know, I’m still wondering if there’s a camp forming here and looking forward to the burn.
Sync

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:56 pm

holy shit batman....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Sync » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:33 pm

Shout out to the Nordic Pagan. I have a stylized Thor’s hammer tattooed on my left shoulder and I write about synchronicity. (Not that I’ve been able to get it published, grumble, grumble....;)
Sync

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 pm

Sync wrote:Shout out to the Nordic Pagan. I have a stylized Thor’s hammer tattooed on my left shoulder and I write about synchronicity. (Not that I’ve been able to get it published, grumble, grumble....;)

Heilsan..................

I wear the Valknut, at times,myself, although I have a Thorshammer I wear at times also............

Also dabble in Nordic/spiritual poetry...........and Norse-type aboriginal art...........

Cool sounding tat........is it for magic?
Do you have it for meaning?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:26 am

Therapist - The Rapist.

my uncle worked for USAF SERE. retired.

it aint all touchy feely nicey nicey, if you know what i mean.

MRU is not for Esalen types, more for the Col. John B. Alexander types.

this is not about healing.

try the hee-bee-gee-bees.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Sync » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:29 pm

[quote]WELCOME TO CAMP MRU! with the theme being Evolution, we feel we are right on the cutting edge of new technologies and are looking for "Participants" to engage in and enjoy the following fun activities provided by our staff.

superlearning,
man-machine cybernetic interactions,
special sensory biophysical activities,
brain and mind control,
telepathic communications or bioinformation transceiving,
bioluminescent and bioenergetic emissions,
effects of altered states of consciousness on the human psyche,
improvement of human performance via bio-feedback techniques,
innovative therapy/prosthetic/diagnostic techniques,
environmental effects upon biological (human) systems,
infrasonic and ultrasonic effects upon biological systems,
geopathogenic factors which induce illness.

MRU is exploring the interaction of mind and body, or energy and matter. Among the first groups to investigate the human energy body, MRU brings together many of the leading scientists and experimenters in the multidisciplinary field of biocommunications which includes the sciences of bionics, biophysics, psychophysics, psychology, physiology, neuropsychiatry, cybernetics and systems engineering. MRU has recruited notables such as Eldon Byrd, Christopher Bird, ESP expert hypnotist Milan Ryzl, and remote viewer Ingo Swann, among others.[/quote]

My apologies, thought you were for real and actually might be interested in people who were knowledgeable in the areas you mentioned in your first post. I would not have tried to get a dialogue going if I did not have the same interests as you declared when you started the post. You think I’m all new agey, that’s very funny. I work everyday with clients who could kill me before help arrives, in one of the most demanding and complex environments you could imagine. I’ve seen a collogue stagger out of one of the groups leaving a trail of blood on the floor after being attacked by a client who never met her before, got a concussion once myself from working with a murderer having a psychotic break after going off his meds. As far as the non-lethal weapons reference goes, your right, psychologists have a strict code of ethics to do no harm. The tone of the posts recognizing previous research abuses seem to confirm that there was some moral awareness of the potential for abuse in this field.

Beyond that, been playing mil-sim paintball for over 15 years, built my own electric tank, make my own modified markers, and would love to meet you and any three of your buds on the field to see who can put up or shut up. The game is about sportsmanship, and friendships, admiring what others have created, how we handle situations. Someone loses it and lights you up 40 times at close range, do you act like a 2year old or an adult? Do you meet in the staging area and have a few laughs and talk, take your balls (or lack of them) and go home, get in their face?

Dude, it’s your thread and your camp. You ARE the role model. I was just responding to the tone of the original post and invitation. If you don’t believe I’ll fit in with what you had in mind, I hope you all have the best Burn ever and have a great time.
Sync

Postby Oldguy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:35 pm

Sync, Have you heard of the green dot rangers? or the Medtent?

I am sure the med staff could use your skills in the chill tent this year. Just fill out a volunteer application with the areas you might want to help.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:02 pm

dont get your knickers all up in a bunch Dr. Surprise...

for the record, this thread is very much of an inside joke, i do not mean to be rude. I just am.

we are a camp within a camp within a camp.

and feel free to stay and discuss psychotronics, neural implants ala Dr. John Lilly and of course FMRI scanning, which was actually mentioned in a link earlier in this thread as something truly terrifying.

And anything else Dr. Kirby Surprise might want to discuss,be my guest, it's a free e-playa.

DSM IV anyone?

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:48 am

So there's a theme camp? Or is it virtual?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:25 pm

MRU is actually a real company, based in virginia i believe, one of those SAIC funded fringe scientific ventures that hide in the shadows.

but tell me, where better to test all kinds of pyschotronic devices such as ultralow frequencies, sound transfer, mood alteration via Mghz, subliminals etc etc etc on a somewhat perfect variety of guinea pigs, albeit without their knowledge, than at Burning Man?

the conditions are superb.

sleep dep...high doses of powerful hallucinogens...pseudo-spirituality...isolation/immersion

quite a potent cocktail, and a perfect way to break down the minds normal filtering processes.

It could be an interesting experiment in mob psychology and control.

or a cool place to generate feedback for beta testing without all the regulations and restraints of Defaultia.

c'mon....like you didnt know this was already going on.

:twisted:

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:00 am

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby wedeliver » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:16 am

I don't know if this is the right spot, but she looks about 20 and is kinda hot.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmIf-slNEC8[/youtube]
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:41 am

absolutely the right spot.....spot on, as it were.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby littleflower » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:34 am

was that the robot talking? geez ... what an awful, hog-calling voice ... can't they figure out how to make her sound good?
littleflower

Postby jkisha » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:34 am

I didn't think the voice was that bad; but was really amazed by the rest of the anamatronics. Though they didn't show her walking. That seems to be one of the hardest tasks to master based on some other robots I've seen coming from Japan.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri May 29, 2009 7:13 pm

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat May 30, 2009 12:43 pm

Sexiful robot:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKHtEt_x6FI[/youtube]

Not so sexy robot:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78krbfy9hh0[/youtube]
They are appealing, but we prefer the biological units.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat May 30, 2009 1:55 pm

i'd hit it.

baby got BACK!

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat May 30, 2009 4:58 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:i'd hit it.

baby got BACK!

Her arms don't flex at the elbow when she walks. Obviously they used a Japanese girl as model. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:29 pm

i saw this story and i thought to myself, "who the fuck cares? they already did that....it's called Cleveland!"

then i read it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090607/sc ... alscloning

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:40 pm

And we are a speices in heavy need of elite animals.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:47 pm

once again, the laser-guided fish, dead on target.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:10 pm

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:05 pm

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:48 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40L3SGmcPDQ[/youtube]

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:51 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8fJT3KyAe0[/youtube]

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:08 am

he who controls the children, controls the future.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8STHiP7HZY[/youtube]

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Theme Camps