Seeking other Choral/A Cappella Singers

Seeking other Choral/A Cappella Singers

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi! My name is Kaitlyn. I'm a singer, just graduated with a degree in choral performance. I would love to get together a choir or a cappella group to sing at the event. Let me know if you're interested! Or, if anyone can steer me towards an ALREADY created group.

Thanks so much in advance!

<3 A virgin burner
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby gaminwench » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:16 pm

Madi runs the playa choir...look for 'mamasaid' on these boards. They do a Sunday morning sing thing, with a couple of rehearsals during the week. Acapplaya(sp?) is a 6-8 person jazz group that practices music separately (they don't necessarily know each other or live in the same states) pre-playa, then gigs like crazy in BRC, usually a 20 minute set.
I've taught 'Singing for Scaredycats' on the playa for the last few years-hourlong sessions , geared towards freeing folks of their fears/nerves/hangups around singing, ending with something in 3 or 4 part harmony; my largest group was 75!!
There's SO much out there to do/discover...have fun!!
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Choir at Lightning Temple

Postby amoration » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:00 pm

The Lightning Temple choir is just getting started with practices and new music for 2009, you can get in touch with Samwise and the rest via facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?sid=7 ... 8775279756

Practices will mostly happen in LA but there will be opportunities to get involved as we tour to other cities, so stay in touch online if you're interested in trying out new classical/world/mix works.
Visit www.lightningtemple.org to join us in 2009!
Evonne Heyning, Creative Director
@amoration and @lightningtemple

(we're full for DJs in 2009 but keep the great music coming for future international events)
amoration

Postby penrose » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:09 pm

I registered with eplaya just for this topic! My dream is to sing a capella at Burning Man. '08 was my first year of attendance. I SO wanted a group to sing with. But I don't like big choirs. I did barbershop a few years, and would really like to find a few compatible folks with whom we can arrange interesting songs, be they pop hits or whatever else, for four-part (or so) close harmony. It's difficult if people aren't based near each other. I am in the Sacramento area, male, bass/baritone. Will watch this subject.
penrose

Postby Lantz Lazwell » Wed May 20, 2009 3:02 pm

We have a Rock/ Funk band coming out to the Playa( we are playing center camp, and waiting for reply from several other camps with stages ) and we need back up singers! We usually have a small choir backing us on a few of our songs.... Nothing to complicated.... My girlfriend (Kim Manning of P-Funk All-Stars) is also an opera singer, and has a degree in musical theatre.... We work with different singers all over the country when we tour.... You can check out our music on line, there's links to my music down below. And you can find Kim's music at - http://www.kimmanning.com or search her name on myspace... Let me know if this is something you may be interested.... All we ask is that you have a good ear, and know how to blend with others...

to the guy above this comment..... I'm originally from the Foothills of Sacramento... Im actually doing some shows in Placerville and downtown Sac at the end of June.... I love that area.... Unfortunatly i needed to move to LA for my career.... The Air sucks down here... I miss the Sierra Nevada Mountains and the American river....
Love and Light,
Lantz lazwell

to listen to my music or view my Bio click on the links below
http://www.sonicbids.com/LantzLazwell
http://www.myspace.com/lantzlazwell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBOmbQOjYXQ (video with George Clinton)
Lantz Lazwell

Postby lhyr » Thu May 21, 2009 9:01 pm

lantz, do u know when yall are playing center camp?

well, when u know, let us know. thanks.
lhyr

Postby penrose » Sat May 23, 2009 10:33 am

Lantz: You are music to my ears. I'd love to be a backup singer. I'm more of a blender than a soloist, as it happens. I like challenging harmonies. I've a couple amateur examples on youtube, let me know if you want the link (can't hear just me, it's a quartet, you get the idea). I'm also jazzed that you and Kim work with George Clinton. I grew up in the East Bay in the 70s -- nuff said? Again, I'm more than jazzed at the thought of having an act to join up with at the Burn. Keep in touch as your plans come together.
penrose

Postby Lantz Lazwell » Mon May 25, 2009 12:33 pm

im waiting on the exact time for our set @ center camp.... I will let you all know as soon as possible.... checkout our videos on Youtube til then! just search my name...

to Penrose.... definatly send the youtube links.... did you listen to our music? Make sure its something you would be into, thats all we ask.... thankz for the interest in singing, we always need backups.....
Love and Light,
Lantz lazwell

to listen to my music or view my Bio click on the links below
http://www.sonicbids.com/LantzLazwell
http://www.myspace.com/lantzlazwell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBOmbQOjYXQ (video with George Clinton)
Lantz Lazwell

Postby Galaxo Magic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:58 pm

[quote="penrose"]I registered with eplaya just for this topic! My dream is to sing a capella at Burning Man. '08 was my first year of attendance. I SO wanted a group to sing with. But I don't like big choirs. I did barbershop a few years, and would really like to find a few compatible folks with whom we can arrange interesting songs, be they pop hits or whatever else, for four-part (or so) close harmony. It's difficult if people aren't based near each other. I am in the Sacramento area, male, bass/baritone. Will watch this subject.[/quote]
Hey Penrose, I have done barbershop as well, I love it but don't know anyone up in Chico that does it. I am more Baritone than Bass, can read well but have only an average voice...
Galaxo Magic

playa choir 2009!!!!

Postby mamasaid » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:56 pm

wow, I thought I was the only choir dork out there when I first started running the playa choir 4 years ago...how wrong I was...

Let me (re)introduce myself...I'm Madi and I am the playa choir director. The playa choir is the only choir where:

1. I've had ensemble members show up topless, bottomless, or both
2. The music is a strange mix of gospel, funk, original compositions AND circle singing
3. I put on my preacher garb and give a service on sunday morning
4. I can say, "Hallelujah, Right ON, Fuck Yeah!" to the whole choir and get away with it.

this will be our 5th year and last year, we over-filled the house on sunday morning...

about me:
I've been a choir dork my whole life. I am edjumakated with a BM and MM in choral music, but don't hold that against me. I'm still wild and believe that improvisation is not just for the studied jazz musician. I have been singing with the Glide Ensemble of SF's Glide Church and currently, I teach vocal music at Washington State University. I absolutely LOVE what I do and find that I've had the most special musical moments with this choir, on this sacred wasteland called black rock city.

about the choir:

we rehearse during the event, wed, thurs, fri and sat at 10:30 am. show up as you are, in any state you happen to be in. (nevada, hopefully...) some of our music will be learned by ear, some by written score, (nothing is too hard if you have a decent ear, I promise) and some that will be improvised in the moment. EVERY AND ALL VOICES ARE WELCOME!!!

On sunday, we wear our most special garb and give our music in an ecumenical sunday service at 11am. we dance, we sing, we laugh, we cry, we are totally open. hopefully, we still have a voice to sing with...

where does this happen?
Jazz Cafe, right around center camp...

MAYBE...this year, I am thinking of posting some of our songs somewhere on line ahead of time. So if you are a soloist, and you are interested in getting your big moment ready ahead of time, I am working on getting this to you ahead of time...or if you just want to sing some of this music before the playa, I hope to get this happening this year as we evolve...

last few things...I'm ALWAYS pining for rhythm section players...If you are interested in percussion/drums, bass or guitar or keyboards, contact me!!

If you are DYING to do a song and think I should know, or maybe you are an arranger and want to write something, contact me! I'm all about organic music...

All right, there it is. more questions? contact me!

I'll make a more formal announcement in just a few days!

PS. Acaplaya is FULL with all returning members for BM 09, jsyk.

So glad to see some other vocal groups are starting to pop up!!! come say hello!

love and service,

Madi
www.myspace.com/servethemusic
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire
mamasaid

Postby penrose » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:59 am

Excellent. Some year I'll bring some arrangements and maybe there will be peeps to sing em. Not this year, alas. But anyway last year (1st time) I heard nothing in the way of choral music but now I am happy.
penrose

Return to 2009 Art & Performance