We Burners would burn on the CROSS...

We Burners would burn on the CROSS...

Postby sktELEMENT » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 pm

Check this out...Pagans ("witches") were the burners of olden times. They were the hippies. They worshipped nature and focused on inner spirituality. Just like most burners tend to.

Old pagans=new burners

They burned on the cross, just like we would if we indulged in our alternative agnostic/atheist/whatever beliefs.

And we Burn a man with his arms outreached as if on a cross.

It is just very ironic...

Salem witch trials: People ate hallucinogenic moldy bread / mushrooms, tripped out, and burned real men. (or women)

Burning man: People eat psychedelics / alcohol, trip out, and burn wooden man. (or structures)
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:30 pm

really?.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:05 pm

The code word is "primal". Pass it on.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Playa Tom » Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm

I love the smell of burning hippy in the morning . . . it smells like . . . bacon!
Playa Tom

Postby ygmir » Wed May 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Playa Tom wrote:I love the smell of burning hippy in the morning . . . it smells like . . . bacon!

nuthin' like fried "long pork"............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby AntiM » Thu May 07, 2009 6:48 am

The witches at Salem were hanged for the most part. Some were crushed under rocks. Burning a human to death is tricky, messy and time-consuming. Witches were not hung on crosses as far as I've ever seen in the histories.

The women persecuted as witches in Europe were not closet pagans. They were women no one liked, or old women who had outlived their usefulness and were a burden on the community. Crazy old ladies and superstition, bitterness and neighbor feuds, made witchcraft an easy finger to point. Life was too hard and just keeping the family warm, fed and clothed took all the time a woman had; few poor women had the inclination to expend time on witchcraft. Only ladies of leisure and learning had time for hobbies like potion making and dancing nude in the forest. Like a modern book club. In fact, I've always wanted to do deep research on literacy rates and wichcraft/paganism as an intellectual choice of rebellion.

You cannot get high from moldy bread, but certain moldy grains, perhaps. The few "witches" who actually cobbled up potions used fun stuff like henbane and belladonna. The "flying" potions were applied under the arms where the psychoactive ingredients were readily absorbed. And everyone knew which mushrooms were the right ones, there were few accidental shroom trips.

Yeah, so nothing has changed.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sail Man » Thu May 07, 2009 10:02 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0JwW623n1A[/youtube]
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Re: We Burners would burn on the CROSS...

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu May 07, 2009 12:15 pm

sktELEMENT wrote:They worshipped nature and focused on inner spirituality. Just like most burners tend to.

Reckon that's one o' them sweeping generalizations.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Twilight » Thu May 07, 2009 11:54 pm

[quote="AntiM"]You cannot get high from moldy bread, but certain moldy grains, perhaps. [/quote]

Actually, the original source of LSD came from ergot of rye, a fungal infection that caused untold horrors for many centuries. The contaminated rye grain in bread was the culprit!

Lots of fun details: : http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/wo ... LECT12.HTM
Twilight

Postby ygmir » Fri May 08, 2009 6:36 am

*takes bread out of fridge and sets in moist bag on counter*...........

can't wait for lunch next week..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby AntiM » Fri May 08, 2009 7:26 am

Twilight wrote:
AntiM wrote:You cannot get high from moldy bread, but certain moldy grains, perhaps.

Actually, the original source of LSD came from ergot of rye, a fungal infection that caused untold horrors for many centuries. The contaminated rye grain in bread was the culprit!

Lots of fun details: : http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/wo ... LECT12.HTM

I knew that about the rye and the ergot, but hadn't realized it could survive baking. So you cannot get high from moldy wheat bread unless the baker and miller are unscrupulous and mix in contaminated rye flour. Interesting, thank you.

Enable your BBCode, see the check boxes below when posting, and your quote function will work.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby mabu » Thu May 14, 2009 12:01 pm

AntiM wrote:The witches at Salem were hanged for the most part. Some were crushed under rocks. Burning a human to death is tricky, messy and time-consuming. Witches were not hung on crosses as far as I've ever seen in the histories.

Most cross stories are apocryphal.

I believe the notion of using crosses for crucifixion is myth. In fact, the "cross" really has no implicit meaning in Christianity - there's nothing in original scripture about a cross at all. Not once in the bible is a "cross" mentioned (except where it is mis-translated from the original greek). In reality, the Romans used what is called a "stau-ross" or "stav ross", an "upright pale or stake" - it never had any cross members on it. In fact, you cannot find any imagery of crosses associated with christianity until several hundred years later. The first known painting of what people call a crucifix didn't appear until the 7th century. Christians likely invented the cross image from the Greek letter X (chi) with the P (rho) through it which was a monogram for the Christ character.
mabu

Postby Finnegan » Sun May 24, 2009 7:41 pm

I read somewhere that ergot poisoning was likely a contributing factor in the French revolution. They were angry and trippin balls.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby gyre » Sun May 24, 2009 9:45 pm

Starvation and the medieval ice age were factors.
The monarchy was trying to persuade people to plant potatoes which could survive, and met much resistance.

Hungry people can be cranky.
gyre

Postby d6 » Sat May 30, 2009 4:07 pm

i 've been surrounded by members of the "angry and trippin balls" camp at various times.
they seem to like fuzzy pants and wanting to sacrifice themselves to fire.

humans are messy.

d6
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot
d6

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:47 pm

Hmmm I don't ever recall the arms of the man being stretched out as if on a cross. They are raised above his head or down at his side. I definitely do not see any similarities between Pagan witches and Burning Man. Also I don't believe witches were burned on crosses either. I think this is fucking absurd.
-AJ )'(
Absolut Jeenyus

Return to 2009 Theme