Springbar Outfitter Tent

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Springbar Outfitter Tent

Postby rana » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:19 am

Virgin burner here, looking to buy a tent for regionals / BM and also attending Pennsic this year, which is two weeks of camping in PA. I'm thinking of investing in a Springbar Outfitter:

http://www.springbar.com/explore/compac ... _tent.html

I live in Florida and want a tent that will be easiest to keep as cool as possible. I've also read that canvas tents don't do well in high humidity, and wanted to find out the reason (mildew?) Does anyone here have one and have any input? I've heard lots of positive things about Springbar; weight and cost seem to be the big cons. Any advice for a newbie? Also what kind of shade structure has worked well for this particular tent or springbar tents in general? So far aluminet / camo netting seems to be the best solution. Thanks!!
rana

Postby phil » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:28 pm

> I live in Florida and want a tent that will be easiest to keep as cool
> as possible.

The problem is that having a breeze flow through the tent in the shade keeps it at ambient temperature, which is the coolest you'll get, but allows all the dust to get in the tent, too. Everything is a compromise, and all compromises end up sucking one way or another.

You'll get lots of great advice, and my suggestion is to try whatever seem reasonable, then make adjustments next year and the year after. You get better as you gain experience on the playa, as with all else.

Have fun. Repeat.
phil

Postby rana » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:07 pm

I went ahead and got the Springbar Vagabond 4 and love it! I can put it up myself and I love that I can stand up and even stretch my arms above my head! Just broke it in at a regional burn :)
rana

Postby phil » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:05 pm

Louise and I bought one, too. We haven't had a chance to set it up yet, though.
phil

Postby PurpleKoosh » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:07 am

phil wrote:Louise and I bought one, too. We haven't had a chance to set it up yet, though.

Well, Phil, I know I don't need to tell YOU to make sure that happens before you get to the event. ;-) (I will never forget the feeling of abject horror that went through me last year when I opened the bag for my brand-new tent - which I had INTENDED to set up at least once before I went out, but ran out of time - and the instructions said "THIS RECREATIONAL PRODUCT REQUIRES TWO PEOPLE TO ASSEMBLE.")
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003

Postby gyre » Wed May 06, 2009 10:07 pm

You're going from Pennsic to burning man?!!!
gyre

Postby PurpleKoosh » Thu May 07, 2009 11:56 am

gyre wrote:You're going from Pennsic to burning man?!!!

Wow - I didn't even register that part of the OP.

...you're a braver man than I, Gunga Din.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003

Postby CapSmashy » Fri May 08, 2009 5:39 pm

I'll toss in my two cents here...

I have a 10x10 Kodiak and we are going to add a 10x14 Kodiak for this year and hand the 10x10 over to our son for his first burn. I would recommend a Kodiak over the Springbar (same design) because the Kodiak has a lot more features in terms of build and accessories.

The biggest difference between the SB model you are looking at and the Kodiak of the same size is that the Kodiak utilizes D shaped doors and has 2 of them. The SB has a single door that is the traditional zip down the middle style. The Kodiak also has 4 windows total (2 built into the doors). The SB has two including the door one. While you may not think about it much, having a front and back door is very handy if there are 2 or 3 campers in the tent.

For Pensic, (merced out of Ansteora with my Household for Middle Kingdom 2 years), the extra windows and the included awning on the Kodiak (not available for the SB that size) will be a very nice addition. At Burning Man, zip all the windows shut and open the top vents (not available on the SB) and about the only dust you'll have inside is what you track in with you. If it calms down at night, open up all those windows and enjoy some fresh air.

The kodiak also comes with gear a gear locker, storage pockets and 4 D rings inside the tent. We hung a fish net and used it for extra clothing storage. The Springbar does not offer these

Technical aspects, the Kodiak has a thicker floor and the seams are welded, not stitched. If its a wet Pensic, you will have a good chance of water seepage in the Springbar. Kodiak uses steel poles, not aluminum. Yes, they are heavier, but they are also stronger. Kodiak also gives you 12" steel stakes instead of plastic ones like Springbar.

I would also encourage you to consider spending the extra $100 and go with the 10x10 Kodiak. While it doesn't sound like much, that extra square footage can be a really nice thing.

For shading, garden shade fabric works pretty good. A lot cheaper than aluminet and its pretty much available at any large retailer with a garden supply section. Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. If you can pack it, building a frame out of something simple like PVC to keep the shade off the canvas would do wonders.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Fri May 08, 2009 5:41 pm

I also found a website offering free shipping on a several of the Kodiak models.

Edit: I guess it would be helpful to include the link.

http://www.familytentcamping.com/site/1 ... age/926237
CapSmashy

Postby Terlin » Thu May 21, 2009 10:14 pm

CapSmashy,

Thank you for the input. I was considering purchasing a Springbar but thanks to your write up I think I am going to purchase a Kodiak instead.
Terlin

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu May 21, 2009 10:31 pm

I have a 10 x 10 Kodiak, used last year and I agree with the handy features Capt Smashy wrote about. They held up like champs in the dust and stayed really clean. Sure there was some dust, but where isn't there some dust?
I would add one modification: The side poles could use a similar sheath like the top cross bar. We had two identical Kodiaks in camp last year, and while the side bars did not fail, I could see that a two foot locking sheath, like what is on the top would extend the life and the ability of the tents to withstand the wind. I have not made that mod, but a single length of conduit, a hacksaw and some applied duct tape in the field makes the mod. This mod is not needed per se, but I think it would greatly enhance the strength of the tent.

These are really good, heavy mofo tents. Full canvas smell, and back in the default world, I set it up, hosed it off inside and out, squeegeed the water out, let it dry, and it looked like it was new.

I also bought from Smashy's link. I am in Oakland CA and got it about 10 days after ordering. I got the tent before I got the email saying it had been shipped!
chiefdanfox

Postby CapSmashy » Fri May 22, 2009 10:07 am

chiefdanfox wrote:I also bought from Smashy's link. I am in Oakland CA and got it about 10 days after ordering. I got the tent before I got the email saying it had been shipped!

Good to know. We bought our first one through Cabellas when they had a free shipping deal running.
CapSmashy

Postby Toolmaker » Fri May 22, 2009 1:18 pm

Those things are too rich for my bloodline.

I'm bringin one of these..

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/g ... x?a=532766

I was considering the teepee but this is better for keeping dust out.

PS One of the reasons canvas tents are a drag here in Florida is the humidity that tends to collect and the higher indoor temps. I had the same problem with canvas dome coverings down here too.. I guess you would get mildew if you dont wash it well afterwards.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby ygmir » Sat May 23, 2009 7:24 am

looks like "Sportsmans Guide" is having a Memorial day sale,....looks like some affordable, good size tenst and stuff.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/section/sl.aspx?s=5007&ipp=96&gif=Y&ra=false&rp=section
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby CapSmashy » Sat May 23, 2009 5:03 pm

CapSmashy

Kodiak Tent

Postby Playadreamz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:27 pm

Hey CapSmashy: Bought a Kodiak too. After years of Target/Coleman sh*t, I felt like I was in the Taj Majal! Now I need a shade structure -- do you think an Ace Canopy pop up with garden shade guyed down would do it?
"The real technology - behind all our other technoligies - is language" - Andrei Codrescu
Playadreamz

Postby codingyoyo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:26 am

I bought a springbar tent last year. I ended up setting it up pre-event, sleeping in it a couple nights, then heading back to the default world for a week and returning on event Monday. Despite and entire week on the playa when I opened the tent back up, there was literally NO dust inside it. I was super impressed. Not having the bottom zipper didn't make a different given the design. Was well worth the money.
codingyoyo

Postby ibdave » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:32 pm

smokin price on this costco type carport.. 2" legs $200.00 -/+ to your door..

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/d ... 09606&pn=1

8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:33 pm

So, does anyone else think that "outfitter" tents are for sparkleponies?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Shelter & Camping