The Contraption 2009

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:11 am

gyre wrote:Hasn't there been something vaguely similar on the playa?

I wonder about the steering.

Yes.. vaguely similar
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby gyre » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:45 pm

I was looking at an old grader made by Galion Iron Works today.
It was made to be towed and has all kinds of adjustments, including width of the track at the rear.
Nifty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galion_Iron_Works
http://www.maysville-online.com/article ... grader.txt
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 4627832178
gyre

Postby Dusza Beben » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:12 pm

gyre wrote:I was looking at an old grader made by Galion Iron Works today.
It was made to be towed and has all kinds of adjustments, including width of the track at the rear.
Nifty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galion_Iron_Works
http://www.maysville-online.com/article ... grader.txt
http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 4627832178

I see lots of words and no bloody pictures!

Grrrr...

In other news, has there been any advancement in the simifore area?

DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.
Dusza Beben

Postby Digital-Dragonfly » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:13 pm

This year you will also be able to taste a Norwegian drink at The Booby Bar.

Akvavit? :o
Perhaps..."Linje" akvavit :wink:
"and your pleasure will likely exceed your misery.".... Ugly Dougly
Digital-Dragonfly

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:11 pm

All I know is that if I miss The Contraption AGAIN this year than I'm making a trip out to his place to see it. I'll hitchhike and sleep outside if I have to.
Toolmaker

Postby Barb Wire » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:48 pm

Digital-Dragonfly wrote:
This year you will also be able to taste a Norwegian drink at The Booby Bar.

Akvavit? :o
Perhaps..."Linje" akvavit :wink:

Linje aquavit is just one of the ingredients... :wink:
Barb Wire

Camp Herring 2010, a part of Terminal City:
http://www.apokiliptika.com/terminal_ci ... _index.htm
--------
You don't stop going to Burning Man because you get old.
You get old because you stop going to Burning Man!
Barb Wire

Postby LeChatNoir » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:53 pm

What’s this? Activity in the thread?!?

However did I miss this?

As long as I'm here, for a sort of update I’ll state that I’m looking into a more reliable mill for the old rust bucket’s next playa adventure.

There are several stationary diesel engines available now-a-days that are really catching my eye. They are basically re-engineered throttle governed single cylinder engines from days gone by. Same sort of open water tank evaporative cooling systems, but diesel powered with compression ratio’s above 20:1, meaning it could run on veg oil.

Since I’m actually taking this entire weekend off, I may get a chance to post some pics of what I’m thinking. The goal is to have a vehicle that could go to all areas of the playa with much less worry of dieing when you need it most. As enduring a quality that is of the current antique IC engine (and truth be told it lead to some really fun interactions that would never have happened otherwise), I‘ve got a real desire to pick people up for a lift and take them off to the far reaches of BRC without all the worry of "will we have to push it home again".

So the engine I’m eyeing is 7.7Hp with lots of torque for the same footprint (and less weight) of the current 1-¾Hp antique gas engine. Seems like a good idea to me.

Perhaps the old gas engine could become an on-playa ice cream churn power source?

More to come…
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:05 pm

I can certainly understand your wanting to make it more reliable! I'm looking forward to seeing whatever it is you conjure up for this year!!
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:13 am

I think that there catman hillbilly has been out look'en fer a space ship so he;en can get probed aaa gain..

You all know the truth where the coontrapshoon parts come from.

Them's space ship parts.. And that nice lady who hangs around with him is from "outer space".. She's hoping to get to the mother ship to call home.. She had made it to the escape pod and landed in north Wi.Then she heard about some lunner ticks out in Nv.

That's my story and you "all"can add what you know about this here true story. Only the truth will tell..
unjonharley

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:35 am

I agree, they look like spaceship parts to me! and I could never make nut'in like that, so your story must be true! I even heard he sumtimes confurs with a black cat when buildin these infurnal contraptions - there ought to be a law...yes sir, that's what's needed!
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Elliot » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:06 am

:D
Weh, ah be hornswoggled! Me n mah racing team wuz jes plannin to take "Henry Ford Goes Surfing" to the Moon at this year's Grand Championship Kinetic Sculpture Race.
We wanna call it "Henry Ford Shoots For The Moon". Model T nose (see avatar) and a moon rocket the rest of the way.

Then just this morning, one of my Pilots suggested we go with a bit of Steampunk for costumes and other decor.

Now, unless we have to call Houston and report a Problem, we might bring this Thing to the Playa in August. Of course, it will always be hot air powered! Maybe with some second hand PBR fumes as a additive. :lol:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:35 pm

Elliot wrote::D
Weh, ah be hornswoggled! Me n mah racing team wuz jes plannin to take "Henry Ford Goes Surfing" to the Moon at this year's Grand Championship Kinetic Sculpture Race.
We wanna call it "Henry Ford Shoots For The Moon". Model T nose (see avatar) and a moon rocket the rest of the way.

Then just this morning, one of my Pilots suggested we go with a bit of Steampunk for costumes and other decor.

Now, unless we have to call Houston and report a Problem, we might bring this Thing to the Playa in August. Of course, it will always be hot air powered! Maybe with some second hand PBR fumes as a additive. :lol:

You could always put a pulsejet or two in the back. You know for when ya get tired of using those pedals yer so fond of. Looks good and night and has a nice throaty growl all its own to let ppl know where to look.
Toolmaker

Postby Elliot » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Well, I am planning to have a perforated metal container in the tail of this thing, with a brick of small firecrackers -- and light it at the start of the race.
:lol:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:22 am

I'm looking for recipe for superquench.
gyre

Postby Elliot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:03 pm

Cannot help you there, Gyre, but I owe everybody an update:

I failed to get the rocket ready for the KSR. We got the chassis rideable, but no art except the old model T nose painted silver. Then the steering gear broke on the way to the starting line. Two good friends (burners, both) spent the rest of the day improvising a steering mechanism and the machine was ridden a few miles the second day, and also the last mile or two to the finish line the final day. But essentially, the Moon mission was postponed until next year.

Also, regrettably, I will not be able to participate in Burning Man this year. Economic necessity -- I must return to full time gainful employment for a while.

Good news: My "barn" (hobby workshop) is coming along nicely. We are almost ready to start putting siding on it. In fact, I have installed two windows as symbolic "major progress".

Oh... almost forgot: My OTHER Kinetic machine did very well. This is the one-person tricycle. I raced this one myself, shooting for an "Ace". Well, I aced the first day, except I took time out to tend to the broken Moon project, and thus failed to finish the day in time. So no Ace. Then the second day my trick knee couldn't take anymore, so another guy rode it the rest of the race. The trike itself proved totally Ace-worthy, which I consider a big triumph.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:41 pm

Sorry about your burn plans.
I hope you manage to make it after all.
gyre

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:44 pm

So...um... what's up with the Contraption, LeChat??
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:40 pm

Heya Doggy!!!

Things are sort of on standby for now. Lots happening on the home front, but this year is proving to be a bit tricky, as I suspect each and every one of you know all too well. Not sure if The Contraption will make it out this year. It’s tight but that doesn’t mean there is a lack of plans.

I’ve been looking at/pondering on single cylinder diesel engines for the old girl. I want a bit more reliability, but worry about what amount of soul will be sacrificed to get it. I’m sort of in a holding pattern for now with a major emphasis on the pondering.

As always, I'm open to thoughts on this subject.

You know... If I do replace the antique engine, then I think it should power an icecream churn.
LeChatNoir

Postby fciron » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:11 pm

I am sure that if you are working on an ice cream churn that my expertise will be required for pre-playa testing.

Just say the word!
fciron

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:22 pm

I’ve suffered a pretty big loss today. My little black cat and dear friend Salem was taken away sometime last night. I’m struggling with this a lot. I’ll be ok... I’ve been through worse times for much longer periods, but this is, at least for the moment, pretty tough.

And it is the final blow for me this year. Up to this point I’ve been thinking I still might make it to the playa, but now it’s pretty clear that it’d be too much to try for. I just can’t do it. There are many things to tend to here with the farm and the shop and it’s healthy to know one’s limits. This seems to be shaping up to be an introspective year anyway. I think I need time to step back and look at things from a differing perspective for a time.

I lit a fire tonight to guide Salem's way. As the flames died down, I watch the faintest red sliver of a crescent moon come to rest on the horizon. Just before it dipped out of sight, I told her I’d see her again, sang a bit of “I’ll Fly Awayâ€
LeChatNoir

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Salem ,

Tyger, shop foreman passed a year ago the 15th. He and Salem will meet where shop cats go.
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:00 pm

((((((((((LeChat & Karine))))))))))
I love you, Kitty Kat.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:12 pm

I Love you too, Fishy.

I thought of you and BlueBirdPoof today… numerous times.

I have a lot of Love for the folks I've met through this board, actually.
LeChatNoir

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:08 am

I've taken a few hits in the last year too... and even lost both my cats to the now-ex... and I think I'm gonna sit this year out too, got too much stuff to do, too much to pay for, not enough time.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:26 am

Sorry about Salem.
gyre

Postby fciron » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Sorry to hear about Salem. A good shop cat is a real treasure and she was a lucky cat to be in your shop.
fciron

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks fciron…

Luckily, the shop cats are still healthy and working hard. Salem was a totally not-streetwise house cat. I feel like she was completely dependant on me to look out for her and that‘s what hurts me the most. Her claws can only carry her so far if she doesn’t know when to fight and when to run.

Well, oh well.

Today I was walking to the house for lunch. Went to the mail box and got the day’s post. As I was ambling up the walk, I stopped under the large pine tree in the yard and was thumbing thought the envelopes when I noticed, interspersed within the shadows on the ground cast by the pine boughs, a distinct silhouette of a cat’s tail switching back and forth slowly. I laughed and figured that one of the barn cats was above me, sitting in the tree as they sometimes do. As I turned my gaze upward, however, I saw that there was no cat… no nothing but tree and sunlight. I looked back to the ground and the shadow was gone.

I am not claiming to know or even begin to understand what lies in the beyond of life. I’m just telling what I saw. I don’t know what it might mean, but I know what I think it means and it made my day a bit easier. Still, this will be tough for a while.
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:43 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I've taken a few hits in the last year too... and even lost both my cats to the now-ex... and I think I'm gonna sit this year out too, got too much stuff to do, too much to pay for, not enough time.

Things are tough all over these days. Sorry about your kitties, Captain. Man... all this stuff its like a full blown cat-tastrophe. A year to regroup seems like a good idea.
LeChatNoir

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:28 pm

@ the price of services, About 100$ per hour for anything. I'm back to my own car repair/tune up, rewire the harrness on the electric skooter and any other repairs around here.. It's taking a lot longer too.. the legs wont stand but a few minites. My hands at one time were probly the strongest in the county. Now it's painful to just hold a wrench in those hands. Have to vice grip a screw driver then tap with a ball peen to losen/tighten a screw head. So I'm working as fast as I can now to get it ready for BM. Yesterday The 98$ exchange for an altenater ended with me rebuilding the old one for 25$. Need to find some one to install a lock washer on the lower bolt. The old hands would not turn in a way needed. Today was the cap and rotor. Those clips are a son of a bitch. Pulled the wires and clip with pliers. Then 1/2 hour getting the clips back on. I know a stoner down the road that can change the plugs if I stand over him with a stick.

Hope to get rid of the walker before BM.

The little tractor is looking good. Lot of days cleaning. There was a motor under all that dirt. Have an air tank & compresser for tire repair, whishel and horn. That will mount like a bud sprayer on the hood front. Going to build a platform that will fit under the motor and out under the front axel. The power supply alternater will ride in front of the grill. Instead of changing the pulley on the motor, I will belt off it a smaller pulley on a idler shaft. The shaft will then spin a larger pulley that in turn spins the alternater. The batteries will have to stack over the draw bar. Blow the inverter all to hell ( Don't want to talk about it) Thats going to cost. But I want to recharge alterable skooters that can ride on the trailer (named "Hey Wagon"). Pulled by the "Unjon Dear". Hope to have bike rack for four bikes outboard over the wheel s/fenders. Lots of safety ideas going on here too. Pull cord stop signal bell, A large voice tube to the driver (So you can not step over the hitch) and hand railed so you can only board or debark at the rear. Maybe brush away wheel guards. to knock you on your ass instead of running over you.
unjonharley

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Unjon great to hear you're making project progress! You'll help keep the wackiness going.

I'm going to miss seeing those of you who can't make it this year, you're some of my favorite contraptioneers out there on-playa. LeChatNoir, Elliot, and now Capt.GDMit too? You boys take care and get ready for 2010 now for sure! I've got a low-rider trike conglomeration coming together for this year, the rumers have it the playa will be good to pedal on once again.
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Art & Performance