Another idea!

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

would you like to see battling art-cars

yes
21%
no
37%
if theme permits
3%
EPIC AWSOMESAUCE
39%

Total votes : 38

Postby ygmir » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Sail Man wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:FightingDrag, fire something at me or my ship and I will either return fire with real bullets or at bare minimum chase you down and beat the shit out of you.
Firing shit at random strangers is guaranteed to seriously piss people off.
Go out there to have fun, don't be an annoying asshole.

Oh man, I guess the boarding party is off :cry:

not if you still have water
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby FightingDrag » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:14 pm

ya i guess so

we can still make pirate ships, and design a flag they have to fly (other art cars) then we can all have fun shooting stuff at each-other

-makes mental note to shoot a teddy bear this year at CG if i can find him-
FightingDrag

Postby FightingDrag » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:02 pm

If i purchase two pice of shit ran down vans somewhere in the country, and we design some way to make them into a piece of art with what some kids at my highschool called a "slap" (giant sticker that we can put designs on, OR SOMTHING) we can bash out the windows, then build tennis cannons and shoot them...

But i need a way to get the vans to california or somthing. WE CAN DO THIS if we wanted to. i mean...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Tru ... 240%3A1318

Look at the bid, they say it will move. we be angry and riot if it doesent move, otherwise, if someone lives there and wants to drive it over to where i live, camp in cali for a week or two while we trash it and design it. THEN we can get people to bring the cannons they built to burning man, then they can come and join us and ZOMG IT WOULD ROXOR!!!!!!

-goes off with more ideas and thinks some more-
ILL POST AGAIN LATA!!!!! WRARRRRRRRRRR
FightingDrag

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:46 pm

FightingDrag wrote:If i purchase two pice of shit ran down vans somewhere in the country, and we design some way to make them into a piece of art with what some kids at my highschool called a "slap" (giant sticker that we can put designs on, OR SOMTHING) we can bash out the windows, then build tennis cannons and shoot them...

But i need a way to get the vans to california or somthing. WE CAN DO THIS if we wanted to. i mean...

Takes more than a wrap to make an art car. READ the licensing description. Art Cars arent supposed to resemble a car ideally.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:00 pm

and dont forget to take those meds....i'm guessing methylphenidate.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Elliot » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:14 pm

:D
Fighting Drag, I've had this kind of runaway ideas all my life, and it wasn't until I got into my 50s that I was able to harness some of these ideas into useful reality. Nothing wrong with being young, and nothing wrong with ideas! -- but what you are proposing does not sound realistic.

First, as just mentioned above, you need to learn -- deeply learn and comprehend -- the Mutant Vehicle rules.

Then comes the "wrapping", which will completely hide the base vehicle from all angles, and at the same time create a good-looking pirate ship -- and sturdy enough for the wind storms, and road travel. This could easily take a month, with two men working full time. Many months, working weekends.

And to farm this out among different builders around the country -- just ain'tent gornar heppn.

Your idea requires a minimum of two vehicles, so I suggest you continue as you are doing, here on ePlaya, to recruit an "adversary". Each would then build his own pirate ship, and drive or trailer those to the Playa in August. This assuming both are invited to participate, and then you still have to pass inspection on site.

That minivan on eBay has a $4.500,- "Buy It Now" price tag on it. That's for just one ingredient of the project. Can you play in this league? I'm very happy if you can, but I remember biting over more than I could chew many a time myself -- still do.

Calm yourself down a little, and consider the project from the point of What Is Actually Doable. Most likely, the Realistic Thing To Do is to build something much simpler for your first Burn.

Pedal vehicles do not require licensing. I've had a great time with my two pedal vehicles, including letting other people "drive" them, which is seldom a good idea with a motorized MV.
How about a pedal vehicle with a teddy cannon, and then ask people if they would like to try to catch it before it hits the ground.

Edit:
Here is a "ship" I built a few years ago for a Kinetic Sculpture Race. It is a pedal vehicle -- the same one as in my avatar. I just took the body off and slapped two sheets of paneling on it. Most lumber yards have this paneling that looks very much like a wood-plank boat. With a pedal vehicle, a two-dimentional "ship" would be OK.

:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby FightingDrag » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:38 am

-hugz- Ty!!!!!
XD -gets more crackpot ideas about neat pedal cars-

Teddybear mafia!!!!!! pedal bike shaped like a limo or somthing, and a Pressure cannon shooting teddy-bears!!
FightingDrag

Postby robotland » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:43 am

I think fighting vehicles would be loads of fun AND a real crowd pleaser...but there are so many technical issues to address! I've thought about building a Battle Drone Combat Arena, like Thunder Dome for robots armed with a variety of weapons in a completely enclosed, non-MOOP-producing environment. (My original idea was to use the gravel pit down the road from our old place to fight RC junker cars with Christian Ristow-inspired armament and special effects.)
I recall how chaotic the padded-weapons battle in Terminal City got, the other year...No way could you roam the open playa with the intent to fire missiles at people, even consenting people, without endangering the public or at least pissing 'em off.
How about Laser Tag-style infrared weapons with some sort of light, gong or sampled noise to register hits? A stock system could be easily adapted.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby FightingDrag » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:21 pm

im gona continue this convo cause its a interesting one.

I think the lazer system would be interesting. but none the less, at least 1 teddy bear cannon would be cool.

Ok, i think i am more near the kinetic vehicle with my set of knowledge
-makes a note to learn welding-
so, a kinetic vehicle, 1 giant teddy bear cannon, and extra seats with people with lazer tag guns, and set up targets. maybe a strobe system for if it gets hit?

OR!
make a lot of guns and targets, set up together, and put them at the greeters station and people with art cars can just grab one and attatch it to their vehicle, and aneyone can battle.

i think that would be good on itself..
FightingDrag

Postby SilverOrange » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:13 pm

robotland wrote:How about Laser Tag-style infrared weapons with some sort of light, gong or sampled noise to register hits? A stock system could be easily adapted.

How about Laser Tag-style infrared weapons with a shock collar to register hits? Now that my friend would be entertaining.
SilverOrange

Postby klondike_bar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:55 pm

SilverOrange wrote:
robotland wrote:How about Laser Tag-style infrared weapons with some sort of light, gong or sampled noise to register hits? A stock system could be easily adapted.

How about Laser Tag-style infrared weapons with a shock collar to register hits? Now that my friend would be entertaining.

or wire a tazer/homemade bank of camera-flash-capacitors to the steeringwheel?
klondike_bar

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:12 am

FightingDrag wrote:-makes a note to learn welding-

viewtopic.php?t=17123
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby capjbadger » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:30 pm

klondike_bar wrote:
SilverOrange wrote:

or wire a tazer/homemade bank of camera-flash-capacitors to the steeringwheel?

Perfect!! Shocking laser tag! ttp://azdeals.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3724666

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:10 pm

FightingDrag wrote:
-makes mental note to shoot a teddy bear this year at CG if i can find him-

You really want your ass kicked huh...
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby torroid » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:36 am

Sail Man wrote:Personally I think the idea of 2 "pirate ships" doing battle on the playa is pretty wicked. Can flash bangs be used to simulate cannon fire without creating moop? I know my 6 yr old would think he had died and gone to heaven watching this. :D

I know someone who knows someone who is planning this.
torroid

Postby klondike_bar » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:23 am

torroid wrote:
Sail Man wrote:Personally I think the idea of 2 "pirate ships" doing battle on the playa is pretty wicked. Can flash bangs be used to simulate cannon fire without creating moop? I know my 6 yr old would think he had died and gone to heaven watching this. :D

and now i know someone who knows someone who knows someone who is planning this.
:lol:
klondike_bar

Postby torroid » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:10 am

klondike_bar wrote:
torroid wrote:

and now i know someone who knows someone who knows someone who is planning this.

It's turtles all the way down.
The devil is the spirit, and we are his unhappy children. - Steppenwolf
torroid

Postby mojo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:21 pm

Sailman, I think we should become "pirates" and have a boarding party......
mojo

Postby torroid » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:25 pm

mojo wrote:Sailman, I think we should become "pirates" and have a boarding party......

Boarding as in ... mounting, or boarding as in ... water?
The devil is the spirit, and we are his unhappy children. - Steppenwolf
torroid

Postby capjbadger » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:53 pm

mojo wrote:Sailman, I think we should become "pirates" and have a boarding party......

There is nothing new under the sun... ;)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BRParty/

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

capjbadger

Postby mojo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:11 pm

capjbadger wrote:

Badger

Naw...I'm thinking that we could mount a surprise attack and make CaptainGoddamnit walk his own plank.......
mojo

Postby capjbadger » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:24 pm

mojo wrote:
capjbadger wrote:

Badger

Naw...I'm thinking that we could mount a surprise attack and make CaptainGoddamnit walk his own plank.......

Sorry... I'm afraid I'd have to give you a good broadside blast for attacking a fellow captain. :D
My ship does carry cannon ya know... ;)
The first test firing back when I built it...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDcROamLMHw[/youtube]

Badger

capjbadger

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:42 am

torroid wrote:
klondike_bar wrote:
torroid wrote:

It's turtles all the way down.

ITYM: 6 turtles of separation
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:05 am

Boijoy wrote:art cars with guns that shoot frosting would be kewell.. we could all run along with cupcakes... and .. ok, where was I going with this? 8) I need another hit.

Not exactly what I would call "frosting", but it shoots something similar.....

( which reminds me, I haven't nailed the Land Yacht......YET !!! )

....it only shoots water
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Previous

Return to Get Involved!