The Nest of Recollection

The Nest of Recollection

Postby fbcota » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Hola everyone. I am working on a art project for Burning Man this year. Its a massive endevour so I just wanted to introduce everyone to it.

www.nestofrecollection.com

We are building a giant people nest. What is a people nest? Well its a 16 foot by 4 foot nest sitting on a giant branch protruding from a 18 foot tall, 14 foot wide tree stump. The nest is covered with sculptures representing childhood (toys, wagons, 1st broken heart). Inside the nest are cushions and a nice chill space with huge eggs with full size human body casts inside. The stump has a balcony and a living room. The entire nest will be shaded during the day by a large found object canopy.

We are looking for artists in and around Reno. Or artists who are willing to contribute sculptures to the exterior of the nest. We really want to get allot of people involved, and don't care if your an artist or not. The Nest is aimed at being a communal space, and we want the art to reflect that.

Shoot me an email: "matt at thenestofrecollection dot com"

Hope everyone is having a wonderful winter.
fbcota

Postby Artemis » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:26 am

Holy crap, or perhaps I should say cardinal :-), that's very impressive.

There are often people posting here looking to join art projects...Hopefully one of them will stumble upon this and offer to help. I'll try and send my animal friends your way.

Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing you guys on playa this year!
Artemis

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:44 am

How does this work into the Theme?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby fbcota » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:36 am

We have approached the theme from a couple different angles.

The Evolution of Humans, The Evolution of Personality and the Evolution of our Environment.

The original idea was based on a costume I am planning to build for Burning Man. Effectively a giant EL wire bird man puppet (Inspired by the Muppets light puppets and the Raptor costumes a couple guys made for Burning Man 2006 or 07). We were thinking about human evolution and genetic engineering.

The Bird Man is the outcome of eons of genetic tampering and evolutionary selection. Man has developed large useless wings and feathers and has lost his ability to build complex structures and somehow lays eggs (I know, we haven't thought through the egg part). The Bird Man still expresses the creative drive that all other humans have so he (or she) has built his nest using symbols of a long lost society.

This is how the nest was created, however the nest means more to us then telling the story of the Bird man. After all the Bird man is almost a secondary thought now. The nest is really built to show the evolution of a personallity from an innocent child to an adult.

The art covering the nest is going to try to build upon the artists childhood memories. Lego Castles, Easy Bake Ovens, First Bike (and Bike crash), Parents Divorce, First heartbreak, etc,... Each sculpture on its own appears to represent a simple moment in time, while the entire nest is meant to represent the sum of our disparate memories, the experiences that we remember from our childhood shape our adult life. Hence the name "Nest of Recollection".

Instead of leaving well enough alone we wanted to talk about the evolution of the environment. That is were the giant tree stump comes in. I was always fascinated by the existence of underwater forests and fossilzed trees in the desert. They always sparked my imagination, made me wonder what this place was like when the forest was there. The Black Rock inspires the same thoughts.

The nest sits on the branch of a giant tree stump protruding forth from the Black Rock. The tree is being built to look like it has been over taken by progress of society (its a stump, and its large branch has been cut) and overtaken by the playa itself (we are building it in a way as to make it look like the playa has coeverd it over eaons). How big is this tree? Were did it come from? Are there more trees covered by the playa? Why was it cut down? What happened to the environment to cause this?

My contact is wrong the correct contact is "matt at nestofrecollection dot com"
fbcota

Like baby birds

Postby Gizmostarr » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:52 am

Very cool concept. Look forward to climbing inside and feeling like a baby bird waiting for mother to return (story of my life!)

I'll send you something - hope it helps.
Live & learn... as you watch your bridges burn... from the point of no return
Gizmostarr

Postby fbcota » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:08 am

Thank you for the feedback.

Anything will help. Its kind of daunting thinking about all the individual art pieces that need to be made.
fbcota

Postby ehcsztein » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:18 pm

daunting and exciting

thanks for all the feedback so far folks!

Cheers,
the other birdman
ehcsztein

Postby betrdanevr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:22 am

It's an exciting project, though you're going to have to get through the proposition that man actually evolved through the ape and that birds are put out to flight when it's "right."

Maybe you could have an art installation that was half bird/half monkey?

Maybe the winged monkeys from the Wizard of Oz could turn from "bad guy" to "good guy" and "rescue" the baby birds that were ejected from their nest prematurely -- somehow illustrating the heartbreaking moments in there?

(Maybe I'm up too late!)
betrdanevr

Postby fbcota » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Thanks for the ideas.

We were kinda aiming for some wierd genetic cross breed that further evolved on its own beyond the fall of society, or something like that. I think the whole nest is set in some imaginary distant future.

So the order would be, regular evolution, genetic engineering for health (good sight, lighter bones, stronger heart), genetic engineering for "sexual" features accelerating sexual selection (Upper body muscle mass, skin alterations including some people getting feathers, reproduce alterations), development of isolated human sub-species, fall of society, traditional evolution of these subspecies.

It would be cool to have some bird moneys though. I didn't think of resuing the "babys" but that could be a really fun concept. We were just planning to have a couple failed "Bird-people" around the nest on the playa.
fbcota

Postby fbcota » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:36 pm

Well, grant proposal got turned down. I'm heart broken.

Anyone who is willing to help. Please e-mail me. Looks like we are just going to have to put even more of our heart and soul into this project to make it happen.
fbcota

Postby ThePaperLeaf » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:22 am

what are you going to use to cover your wooden structure to make it look like a nest?
"Sam" from Tahoe
The Paper Leaf

"Knowing and not doing is the same as not doing.
ThePaperLeaf

Postby ehcsztein » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:04 pm

ThePaperLeaf wrote:what are you going to use to cover your wooden structure to make it look like a nest?

The nest itself will be covered in a wide array of sculptures and paintings that will be more or less "woven" into a single collage wrapping around the nest and obscur the framing.

Each of the distinct paintings/scultptures will be indicative of some aspect of our personal evolutions up to the current moment. Both as humans and as artists. We are touching on a few common childhood/adolescent themes by integrating some of our childhood artifacts (legos/toys/bikes etc) as well as some more abstract themes (broken hearts/self medication/spiritual growth etc.)

So intead of twigs/string/misc our nest will be fabricated from fragmented memories that we are finding/digging up during the creation process. It should all roll up into a single convoluted metaphor from which our futures will grow.

Much like a collection of twigs and scraps gives shelter to the wee birds that will temporarily live there.
ehcsztein

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:29 pm

Wow, that sounds like the junk box in the toy section at your local thrift/donation store.

That would create moop, as people would think it is a pile of stuff to play with.

Not being mean, but maybe that could be part of the reason why it didn't get approved ?

Regardless, I hope to see it on Playa.

I promise not to take the Legos.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby ehcsztein » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:05 am

oneeyeddick wrote:Wow, that sounds like the junk box in the toy section at your local thrift/donation store.

That would create moop, as people would think it is a pile of stuff to play with.

Not being mean, but maybe that could be part of the reason why it didn't get approved ?

Regardless, I hope to see it on Playa.

I promise not to take the Legos.

I appreciate your moop concerns! If only it were as easy as attaching a bunch of toys to the frame. It would certainly accelerate time-lines!

Alas, we are exerting efforts to prevent the scenario you describe. In fact it is that very reality that is preventing some of our ideas from making their way to the playa.

We are doing test installations of the collage pieces at a number of events between now and the burn to see how elements work with the general intoxicated public etc.

Regarding the funding *shrug* I got the news the day after I lost my house (and several pets) to a fire so I was pretty numb to it and honestly feel that we will present a more authentic install without funding. Sure there is a current of disappointment but hey it is part of the process.

Any-who the Legos are being super-glued together as we speak... I got my eye on you (pesky lego thieves are everywhere nowadays.)

I'll post some photos of the first install I am doing in support of Yuri's night.

Additonally we are WAY open to external concepts about what stands out to others when they contemplate how they have evolved into who they are right now.

So if you got some ideas that can we can add feel free to chime in and let us know. The more the merrier.

cheers. :D
ehcsztein

Postby lordgrizz » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:35 am

This thing sounds pretty cool. I like the genetic engineering aspect to it. I fully believe that its only a matter of time before we evolve ourselves into a whole pile of different human species. It would be cool to be a man-bird. How preachy are you going to be?
Bullshit makes the flowers grow, and that's beautiful.
lordgrizz

Postby ehcsztein » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:15 am

lordgrizz wrote:This thing sounds pretty cool. I like the genetic engineering aspect to it. I fully believe that its only a matter of time before we evolve ourselves into a whole pile of different human species. It would be cool to be a man-bird. How preachy are you going to be?

I see the same potentials in the distant future and as of yet have not come up with a "stance" on the possibilities.

I do not think we are taking any stand or position that would be worth being preachy about. Perhaps a few random discordian rants but little else. :D
ehcsztein

Postby Artemis » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:46 am

ehcsztein wrote:Regarding the funding *shrug* I got the news the day after I lost my house (and several pets) to a fire so I was pretty numb to it and honestly feel that we will present a more authentic install without funding. Sure there is a current of disappointment but hey it is part of the process.
cheers. :D

Sorry to hear about your house, and especially the pets. I can only imagine how difficult that must be.
Artemis

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:39 am

ehcsztein wrote:
I'll post some photos of the first install I am doing in support of Yuri's night.

Better yet....I shall see you there !!!

(yes , I am from Reno....... now)
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby ehcsztein » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:46 pm

Artemis wrote:Sorry to hear about your house, and especially the pets. I can only imagine how difficult that must be.

It has been a heavy experience for sure. I was in a daze for almost a week straight and still really haven't completely recovered. It is definitly driving some of my creative efforts currently. Some of the pieces for the nest got a heavy dose of smoke that I am trying to figure out how to preserve.

oneeyeddick wrote:Better yet....I shall see you there !!!

(yes , I am from Reno....... now)

Indeed... in SHPACE!
ehcsztein

Postby lordgrizz » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:29 am

[quote="ehcsztein"]I do not think we are taking any stand or position that would be worth being preachy about. Perhaps a few random discordian rants but little else. :D[/quote]

Hells Yeah!
lordgrizz

Postby lordgrizz » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:31 am

Damn. Stupid quote thingy!
You may have got me again, but this I swear; By all thats holy No More!
lordgrizz

Postby fbcota » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:08 am

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, there is too much to do and so little time. Trying to do a giant art project for Burning Man turned out to be a little more challenging then I thought. Its not for trying!

Seems most of my friends are damn lazy. So, if any Reno Burners are up for helping, or any worldwide burners are up for sending contraptions about childhood then I would smile a thousand times over. The nest crew will be at Burners Without Borders on Saturday. Or you can just email me matt (at) nestofrecollection (dot) com.

Its happening though, through everything. We have a piano, a hundred pound bomb (no its not armed), tentacle jesus, a way to secure everything to prevent moop and transportation! We really just want to include more people in this thing and let other people who may not have a project show their art!
fbcota

i will help, but you already knew that

Postby infinight » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:24 pm

Matt dont be a dummy! Call tony and get me and him over there to help!

Morgan
infinight

Postby Tiahaar » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:09 am

fbcota your pier idea for 2011 got me looking back to see what else you've done, and hey the 'nest of recollection' was a favorite of mine in 2009, well done! I spent quite a long time there first daydreaming on the cushioned benches on the balcony then plinking on the piano strings inside the little hut on top. This kind of stuff is what I keep coming back for. (that's my chopper trike in front)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23693019@N00/5003720346/
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Return to 2009 Art & Performance