Dubstep.fm Making It's First BM Appearance!

Dubstep.fm Making It's First BM Appearance!

Postby DopeLabs » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 pm

If anyone is into Dubstep music be sure to keep up with our BM news and info on our site =]

Looking forward to an amazing experience!

Cheers

DL
DopeLabs

Postby jkisha » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

(Tip: Remove the check marks for "Disable BBCode in this post" and your links will work.)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:51 am

I gave removing the checkmarks a shot, then I realized the links are in his siggy.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:29 am

At least you get a tshirt for giving 50 dollars to the themecamp "fundraiser" website. I wish you the best of luck on your money making venture. May the cash continue to flow into your webpage so you can go to burningman for free.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby DopeLabs » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:03 am

ill be giving away those shirts to anyone who participates at our camp anyways..

look us up when your there and i might have one for ya =]
DopeLabs

Postby DaftBrian » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:16 pm

WOOOOOWWAWAWAWA. Can't frikkin believe it! Ahh, some dubstep on the playa will be very, very nice. Thanks!!
He appears mad indeed but to a few, because the majority is infected with the same disease. [Lat., Nimirum insanus paucis videatur, eo quod Maxima pars hominum morbo jactatur eodem.]
DaftBrian

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:51 pm

What in the hell is dubstep ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby DopeLabs » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:55 am

wiki..

Dubstep is a genre of electronic music that has its roots in London's early 2000s UK garage scene. The name of the genre was coined by Ammunition Promotions[citation needed]. Musically, dubstep is distinguished by its dark mood, sparse rhythms, and emphasis on bass. Dubstep started to spread beyond small local scenes in late 2005 and early 2006, with many websites devoted to the genre appearing on the Internet and thus aiding the growth of the scene, such as dubstepforum, the download site Barefiles and blogs such as gutterbreakz.[1] Simultaneously, the genre was receiving extensive coverage in music magazines such as The Wire and online publications such as Pitchfork Media, with a regular feature entitled The Month In: Grime/Dubstep. Interest in dubstep grew significantly after BBC Radio 1 DJ Mary Anne Hobbs started championing the genre, beginning with a show devoted to it (entitled "Dubstep Warz") in January 2006.[2][3][4]

and Dubstep.fm is an internet radio station that plays such music =]
DopeLabs

Postby Dephect » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:36 pm

I listen to Dubstep.fm from iTunes. Some wicked DJs on there.
You know I will be there!
Open decks or no?
Dephect

Postby DopeLabs » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:50 pm

im not sure about the open decks or not.. we are just sponsoring a stage since this is our first year. there will be a handful of the dubstep.fm djs playing though..

depending on how much support we get this year we will decide if we want to do something on our own for next year. if that happens i will def have a day thats open decks.. but still, im sure the timeslots will fill up soon after i annouce it lol..

hope to catch up with you there and thanks for your support =]

DL
DopeLabs

Postby Dephect » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:34 pm

I only have enough good dub for a 40 minute set though. I still dont even know if I want to bring my vinyl out. I hear Playa dust is really really bad for it ha.

I wont be that hard to pick out. Just look for the guy with a mohawk spinning Ultra intensity glow sticks or fire with some crazy outfit on haha, but on the other hand it is Burning Man..
Dephect

Postby DopeLabs » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:18 pm

right on!

yea i dunno about records out there... i guess it would be kinda shitty.. but im guessing real vinyl will work alot better than a serato setup.. as ive seen little dust bunnies screw with the software/mp3 style djs...

either way ill be hauling my crates of wax with me =]
DopeLabs

Postby ibdave » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:07 pm

DopeLabs wrote:right on!

yea i dunno about records out there... i guess it would be kinda shitty.. but im guessing real vinyl will work alot better than a serato setup.. as ive seen little dust bunnies screw with the software/mp3 style djs...

either way ill be hauling my crates of wax with me =]

Just in case you haven't seen this, it may or may not apply here....
http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... olicy.html

either way I'll made you look... :shock: 8) :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby DopeLabs » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:48 pm

thanks for the info... i have read every inch of the burning man website, as well as browsed other forums soaking up information. theres lots of great reading on the past experiences of burning man.

i will be sure to stay in compliance with any rules and regulations burning man has set forth =]

cheers
DopeLabs

Postby madmatt » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:58 pm

Sounds like yet another in a looooooong list of commercial music and party ventures looking to have a big gig at burning man.
Sigh... :roll:
madmatt

Postby DopeLabs » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:06 pm

lol.. dubstep is definitely NOT commercial music...

we are just looking to have a good time and promote music and the arts.
DopeLabs

Postby wedeliver » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:53 pm

DopeLabs wrote:thanks for the info... i have read every inch of the burning man website, as well as browsed other forums soaking up information. theres lots of great reading on the past experiences of burning man.

i will be sure to stay in compliance with any rules and regulations burning man has set forth =]

cheers

Welcome. especially since you have "read every inch of the burning man website, as well as browsed other forums soaking up information. ....."

Thats excellent! You have made effort! You have no idea how many people don't make that effort.

I look forward to seeing and hearing your dubstep on the playa. Remember one of the rules are, "turn it up louder".. "louder"
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:18 am

I wont be that hard to pick out. Just look for the guy with a mohawk spinning Ultra intensity glow sticks or fire with some crazy outfit

great, you've just narrowed it down to 15,000 schmucks.

you REALLY want to stand out? walk down the esplanade in Khakis and an Upturned LaCoste polo shirt while wearing Gucci loafers with no socks, of course.

carry a a nice dry manhattan with you, i like a little cherry juice in mine, but hey, be creative...participate.

no, wait, scratch that....all i need is some joker being mistaken for me, and getting all my drug freebies.

go back to the mohawk, and the glo-sticks, you cant handle the preppy.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby bx1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:22 am

Any Jungle/DnB/DubStep artists looking for more camps to perform at this year, check out "The BUSH" and hit me up.

Peace,
Braden aka BX1
bx1

Postby Stubbs » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:30 am

NICE!!!
Dubstep.fm kicks ass. I especially like the Supernormous Smoke Sessions and The Dubout. There was a show you guys did back at the beginning off Feb with Tommy Lexxus that was off the hook; got the podcast of it on my ipod!!

This will be my first BM as well. Hopefully I can run into you guys at some point. Would love to rock one of your t-shirts up here in Canada.

Peace.
Stubbs

Postby DopeLabs » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:41 am

yup yup... look me up when you get in town and ill be happy to toss one your way =]
DopeLabs

Postby Dephect » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:52 pm

[quote="Simon of the Playa"]I wont be that hard to pick out. Just look for the guy with a mohawk spinning Ultra intensity glow sticks or fire with some crazy outfit [/quote]

great, you've just narrowed it down to 15,000 schmucks.

you REALLY want to stand out? walk down the esplanade in Khakis and an Upturned LaCoste polo shirt while wearing Gucci loafers with no socks, of course.

carry a a nice dry manhattan with you, i like a little cherry juice in mine, but hey, be creative...participate.

no, wait, scratch that....all i need is some joker being mistaken for me, and getting all my drug freebies.

go back to the mohawk, and the glo-sticks, you cant handle the preppy.[/quote]

Dont hate :D
I actually have a different costume for every day of the week thank you very much :)
Dephect

Postby madmatt » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:23 am

DopeLabs wrote:lol.. dubstep is definitely NOT commercial music...
we are just looking to have a good time and promote music and the arts.

In case you haven't picked up on this yet, the underlying snotty tone of the people responding to your thread is because of the "promote" part. I doubt anyone is saying that dubstep is any more commercial than any other music.

The thing is, that there is a lot of music, djs, dancing, party scene on the playa, which is awesome. Unfortunately, for people who in the default world are into the club, dance, rave, concert or other commercial music and party scene (nothing wrong with that) - burning man sometimes looks like a larger version of Coachella, so they approach it with the same eyes.

Promotion and branding is logically a huge part of that because you have to let people know about an event and get enough people to buy tickets to make money, either for profit or to cover your costs.

Burning Man is not the place to promote, but to express and share. Not the same. The gray area is that there are large groups of djs, party and music professionals doing what they know at burning man, but not for the sake of promoting themselves, but for the sake of fun and expression and sharing and giving it away for free. For most of them, it's one of the rare times they get to truly do their art with artistic freedom.

At the same time, some people who started out with a performance or activity at burning man have become such a "thing" (like Mutaytor) that they became commercially successful outside burning man. Then when they promote that they are performing (obviously for free) on x day or x location on the playa, it comes over as a commercial group promoting themselves in a place that is trying to be non-commercial.

So peeps around don't cotton to promotion that sounds commercial. Yours sounds that way.
madmatt

Postby DopeLabs » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:32 am

well thanks for the info ill keep that in mind =]
DopeLabs

Hold on

Postby DaftBrian » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:01 pm

Wait, hold on here..eat a one-eye matt. Some of the biggest providers on the playa are those that promote their method of interaction (ie Music, food, art) the most. Promotion doesn't always have to carry commercial motives. Burning Man IS a place for promotion. Promotion of several things, including creative expression, which comes in many many many different forms. I don't think anyone gives a hoot about the "promote" part, madmatt may just be a big dubstep fan waiting to be found. I haven't ever heard anyone that's said burning man seems like a larger Coachella either, and I couldn't find out what "cotton" means in that usage.
He appears mad indeed but to a few, because the majority is infected with the same disease. [Lat., Nimirum insanus paucis videatur, eo quod Maxima pars hominum morbo jactatur eodem.]
DaftBrian

Postby pandasex » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:20 pm

and i thought i couldnt be more excited

F ING SWEET !!!!!
I have post playa depression :(
pandasex

Postby dj_john69 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:49 pm

I look forward to stopping by your camp !!
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

dubstep

Postby orangepeelmoses » Fri May 22, 2009 11:48 am

denver-based ishe just did a dubstep re-rub of my track "Pussywhipped"

not sure when release date is yet,
but will try to keep you abreast...

Opm
orangepeelmoses

Postby klone138 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:44 am

OK I never come to eplaya anymore. But I had to say something here. First off, let me say I LOVE dubstep. Actually it is my favorite music. When I first heard the dubstep fm was doing a theme/music camp I loved what I was hearing. But lately everywhere I buy music online (such as digital tunes . net) I am seeing adds and banners saying "dubstep fm @ Burning Man 2009". What kind of shit is this??? Have any of you ever even been to burning man? Maybe I'm trippin' but I say NOT COOL!!! Don't exploit our home on the playa to promote an internet radio station. Do a theme camp, Fine. Promote it on burning man related forums like this, Fine. Throw fundraisers, Fine. But the corporate advertising on websites not related to the BM community, I really DON"T think it's cool. Especially when you are using the burning man logo and name. Just had to get that off my chest.
klone138

Whomp 101: Dub Wonder by Jenn

Postby JennNeSaisQuoi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:57 pm

[quote="oneeyeddick"]What in the hell is dubstep ?[/quote]

Whomp 101

Dub is not "hip". It’s not catchy, or trendy. It’s not sunny and sweet – it’s chewy and thick. You can’t sing to it. You won’t hear on American Idol. Dub doesn’t go down easy, it just...goes down. When transferred from disk to device to speaker to ears, it leaves an impression. It leaves a brand, a scar on every fiber of every muscle. It fills every pore – that’s when you know that it owns you.

You don’t dance to it, you FEEL it. Movement and sound transforms to light and you undulate in and around one another – writhing and dripping to raw bass emotion, and every whomp feels like a dose of medication. Ten minutes of bass feels like ten hours of therapy – without the side affects of feeling invaded and analyzed by an over-educated, Birkenstock wearing, narcissistic, self-righteous hypocrite. It’s a mind-fuck nonetheless, but this one will actually give your brain an orgasm.

Dubstep will change and evolve into something more within a matter of seconds. It will bend and obscure, it will break and grow, it will swell and growl – it will roll a vibration that begins at your feet and reverberates through every hair follicle, peels your face off and ends with an awakening in your mind. If hip hop and reggae were water through a sieve, then dubstep would be thick, organic honey. It’s an addiction. Dub is like butter and the DJ is its hot knife – cutting and melting it away into a slick, slippery stream of deliciousness that when poured onto most anything, it just fucking tastes better. It’s sinful and indulgent. Its bass line is x-rated and will leave you feeling like you need a cold shower, a hot bath, and a confession.

Listening to it feels like a resurrection. It is our atonement. It’s the love child of Bob Marley, Eazy-E and some futuristic machine, grinding and breaking sound into something really offensive and dirty.

You don’t have to like it. You don’t have to appreciate it. You don’t even have to respect the fact that we like it – we are a class of music lovers that require no outside voice, no validation, acceptance or approval. We don’t care how we look, what we wear, or what others think when we are in and around what we do. We are a tribe – threads from the same fabric, ripped apart and woven back together. We are free-thinking, body-shaking, head-bobbing, hand-waving, shoulder-dusting, feet-stomping, beat boxing, whomp enthusiasts – and those who don’t get it...can suck it.

“When your spirit is floatin’ down the tunnel toward the light, you know what’s behind the light? It’s not God…its ME. And I’m gonna kick your poncy soul all the way back down the tunnel ‘til you choke on your own fucked up ribs. Now…wake the FUCK up.â€
Keep your charm where I can see it.
JennNeSaisQuoi

Next

Return to 2009 Art & Performance