Runway to the Gods

What does it mean to you?

Runway to the Gods

Postby Kevmesa » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:26 pm

I think the theme this year is the far reaching of Space and its openess of the possibilities for travel and exploration. My concept will look at the ancient civilation of the aztecs and their belief of extra-teristials from space. Our tent area will be the Mesa's Plateau Runway to the Gods.
Kevmesa

Postby Badger » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:17 pm

civilation of the aztecs and their belief of extra-teristials from space.

Not to be shooting at clay birds but I've yet to be shown any proof that the Aztecs subscribed to ideas/beliefs that in any way incorporated or worshipped extra-terrestrials. What I have seen is a lot of bady written, poorly researched books by speculative pseudo-scientists that believe that Aztecs might have believed in extra-terrestrials.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Chimp » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:49 am

yeah but there is all that stuff about how all these places on earth that are to do with sun worship are mapped out over the planet in such a way that could only have been worked out from an arial view point, ie: space right Badger?

(Don't press me on this though as it will only serve to prove as may already be obvious that my er 'research' into this is limited)

Kevmesa the aztecs weren't terribly nice people

All that human sacrifice and spam and bicycle repair men, er, is it obvious I have a hangover?
Chimp

errr, ahhh, well guys

Postby Silver » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:10 am

Actually von Daniken was flogging the Mayans, the Nazca lines and I think the Incans. All of his bs has been debunked several times over. Thor Heyerdahl, who on occasion was not wrapped too tight himself, debunked some of it without even knowing about it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/alienactivity/nazca3a.html

http://www.debunker.com/texts/vondanik.html

http://www.skepdic.com/vondanik.html

Now if you want to play with these ideas that's one thing; to believe them is entirely another.

Note, the comment about Heyerdahl derives from the fact that he often ignored data and evidence that did not fit with what he was trying to prove.
My grandfather tried to raise me as a Southern gentleman, that means that I can be a real SOB some of the time.
Silver

Postby III » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:52 am

>>Heyerdahl

wasn't much of a scientist, but he did know how to put on an adventure. saw the real kon tiki during my last trip to norway - that thing was tiny...
III

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:06 am

Alien Landing Site has been done, btw. 1996. Runway lights, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, the Alien Repeller set up right next door.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Zephryus » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:38 am

How about an Independence Day style "WELCOME EXTRATERRESTRIALS AND ELVIS" party, complete with cardboard signs, a plywood model of the top of the empire state building and a 100 foot diameter alien death lazer? C'mon, it'll be fun!
Zephryus

Area 51 Camp

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:47 am

Zephryus wrote:How about an Independence Day style "WELCOME EXTRATERRESTRIALS AND ELVIS" party, complete with cardboard signs, a plywood model of the top of the empire state building and a 100 foot diameter alien death lazer? C'mon, it'll be fun!

Knock yerself out.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby Kevmesa » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:59 am

I like that Idea (Independence Day Movie Theme), I was just watching the Movie here at Home on DVD.
Kevmesa

Postby Isotopia » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:49 pm

HOW did I know that this year's theme was gonna be reduced to another version of Cowboys and Indians (Astronauts and Aliens?).

Wish the fuck that The Hatted One(TM) would get his screed up on the web site describing his ideas and inspiration for the Vault of Heaven before this turns into a gathering of UFO enthusiasts and hippie-fied alien abductees..
Isotopia

OH...MY .... GOD...

Postby Last Real Burner » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:48 pm

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

ahem,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby Crazy White » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:08 am

Maybe, but at least we'll die looking straight up
The harder you look, the more you miss
Crazy White

Postby Zephryus » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:25 am

Isotopia, it wouldn't be "Cowboys and Indians". It would be "Doctor". Only with anal probes and drugged, restrained earthlings. And that's something I think everyone can get behind.
Zephryus

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:07 pm

At the risk of putting in something too commercial:

I was at the East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse (San Pablo near Ashby in Oakland, CA) this weekend and they had at least 50 copies of a calender called something like "Celestial Harmony" which featured ~16th (?) Century illustrations of the heavens. They were selling for $1 each. I didn't examine closely, but they look like possible sources for images/ideas, Vault of Heavenwise.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby riot » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:58 pm

i cant wait to see yor camp. on my many trips to mexico. i have seen just about every pyramid and temple there is to see, both by mayans and aztecs. but on one of my trips to cancun, i saw a carved stone. very much like a totem. when you look at the carving, you knew what it was. the rock it's self was carved in the form of a modern day rocket and there was two people in it. one the sun god and the other the god of night. the funny thing was , the two gods were siting back as if the rocket was taking off. which makes me think. humm did the mayans really see aliens? or were they just really drunk off there mescal?
riot

Postby etherialc. » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:40 pm

...hmmm...other dimensions....
time to start researching!!
"I believe in everything, nothing is sacred.
I believe in nothing, everything is sacred."
etherialc.

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:17 pm

There's good reason I wear a tight seatbelt in the Jeep .. makes it more difficult for the aliens to suck me out. Come to think of it, that's a good way to avoid the rapture too.

Also a handy explanation for the modifications to the canopy bed .....

Anti M
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby cowboyangel » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:15 pm

WARNING DANGER , DANGER
JUST FOUND OUT WHERE THE REAL GORT NOW LIVES!!!!!
http://www.kcsciencefiction.org/hof.htm
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Return to 2004 Theme: the Vault of Heaven