Idea for a moving art Car/Club

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Idea for a moving art Car/Club

Postby FightingDrag » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:56 pm

My uncle drives semi trucks and all that good jazz... (some of you allrdy know where this is going just from those words lol)

I still have yet to actually contact him and see if this would be do-able but I could make the tractor-trailer into a base to sleep/eat/stuff for me, and then make the trailer break apart. ill work from top to bottom....

The roof would be made stand-alone with reinforced metal, and a supporting grid design so it wont fall in, hook a disco ball, lights, and maybe a flame-thrower to the top. (No public access to the top, falling from that height could break someone)

Then attatch pullies and ropes to the top grid to be able to lower down the sides, attatch them swiviling to the bottom of the trailer, and make another grid design on it to support walking on, and collapsable steaks on the outside for support from the ground to the -deployable floor-

on the ACTUAL bottom, we can add in a DJ booth, and some dance caged made of PVC pipe that are attatched to the deployable sides. and some flimsy light-weight chairs for people to sit on, some rugs, and maybe a bean-bag or two.

No bar, Posibly a DJ booth, (or a mix of music on a Ipod) yes on lights and no on fire dancing on the actual "club" area, more than welcome on the playa floor nearby.

Does aneyone know about solar panels and how i could design somthing to charge during the day for night-time use???

and this is only in designs, it wont be on the actual playa anytime soon

(post subject to deletion and re-making for design updates and builds)
FightingDrag

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:10 pm

Yes....

...I think

Couple of thoughts...

Does anything bad happen when the truck idles at a top speed of 5mph all day long?
How will you hide the truck (without decreasing the driver's view) and what will the theme be?
How will you talk to the driver in case of emergency (or anyone else on this vehicle)?
Will you need out-walkers with flags, etc and radios (to talk to the driver) since the driver most likely will not be able to see all around?
How will you make it ADA (wheelchair) friendly (it would be a shame if a rig this big and nice were not)?
How will you light it up effectively at night?
What happens if it breaks down out on the playa (can you fix it with the tools you have)?

Have you or anyone else ever owned a mutant vehicle at BM? If not, doing a smaller vehicle first might be a good idea (I have done both big and small, and the issues/problems get bigger and more frequent with larger rigs requiring a good crew). Can you depend on a crew of 4-6+ each shift to not drink, etc. and focus on their jobs?

otherwise it sounds do-able. Solar panels to power it are not likely with any decent sound system and all the lights you will need. Count on using the rig's alternators or generators to power everything. You will need at least 3000-6000 watts of power at night, and maybe double that or more depending on your exact sound setup. Plenty of days lately where solar was limited, due to dust clouds and dust on panels.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby FightingDrag » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:29 pm

wait, u mean to tell me a art car can never stop moving?

your joking right? 5 mph at ALL times?! fuck, i need to add more wheels into the design lol
FightingDrag

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:35 pm

Something this big - your going to have problems getting a license from BM without a good safety plan, and lost of inherent safety features.

Tractors are ok idling all day in the heat most of the time. We idle ours on wildfires all day and night rught there in the Nevada desert.

Hide the truck but you must be able to still see clearly

5 mph is WAy to fast at night - nothing like a panic stop with 200 people on the top. Just like dominos

Rails required

flame effect licensing is in the BM art section

Youll need spotters with coms if you cant see all sides, exits etc.

Sounds ambitious and I hope it kicks ass.

Mutant Vehicle Licensing http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... s/dmv.html[url]

and flame effects licensing is in the art section. You have to register so I dont have a link.[/url]
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby FightingDrag » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:09 am

like i said, beginning ideas, Atm im thinking of outfitting a long-bed chevy with a wodden top as a stage, theme decorations on the side, and a "Open zone"(for lack of a better name) under the wooden stage

im a poi spinner, person i might be taking is currently dabbling in fan, and i might have more by the time we get out there. but at the same time, we r all virgins to BM, so we may just have to see how to fit bikes into somthing to get them up there. OH! we do have that old bike rack.... (off to ponder that)

but otherwise, a simple design on a small truck i will start with, and work it up to this moving dance-club Though people r only allowed on while its STATIONARY not while moving. u think im driving around with people on this, your joking!!!! a deployable art piece is more of the idea behind this, just with music and room to dance.

Might make the truck into a farmer with a hat, the bill over the cab, and one of those things where u cant see in, but drivers can see out for the deco of the eyes and sutch. i just posted this as a rough.
FightingDrag

Postby SonOfUgly » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:32 am

FightingDrag wrote: we r all virgins to BM,

u think im driving around with people on this, your joking!!!! .

gonna be hard to get it licensed if its only functional when PARKED :roll:
SonOfUgly

Postby FightingDrag » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:39 am

so would i be able to build somthing like this, drive it onto the playa, and park, and install it, leave it for the week, pack it up and go?
(and i dont mean that i phisically leave it just that it stays still)
FightingDrag

Postby Toolmaker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:18 am

FightingDrag wrote:so would i be able to build somthing like this, drive it onto the playa, and park, and install it, leave it for the week, pack it up and go?
(and i dont mean that i phisically leave it just that it stays still)

YES.

In fact.. as long as you don't want to drive the vehicle during the week it doesn't have to be mutated at all. Folks generally camp near where they park. Some people use vehicles as windbreaks and camp boundaries.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Dork » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Part of it depends on where you want to leave it - if you want to leave it along the road at your camp, no problem whatsoever. Leaving it on the middle of the playa for the week could be a problem if it still looks like a truck. You'll likely be asked or told to move it back to camp. It'd be a shame to build a perfectly good art car and not drive it around anyway - better to design the thing with mobility in mind from the start.

A good quiet generator is going to be much better than solar for your purposes.
Dork

Postby Sail Man » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:52 pm

Do you have a choice on the type of tractor, i.e. would a cab-over lend itself to mutating easier?
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:28 pm

The title of the thread says "moving art car/club" but its going to be parked all week?
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby FightingDrag » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:39 pm

ok, well this is still for idead and throwing it around it wont be done for at least another few years.

I want to make somthing that can sit in the middle of the playa and people can dance and party in it. maybe move it randomly in the middle of the night/day like a moving art piece or somthing im trying to figure out how i can do somthing like this.

THIS city appears once a week, what about a "building" in this random city that changes where it is randomly. do u understand what im shooting for?
FightingDrag

Postby capjbadger » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:47 pm

I know EXACTLY what you are planning because I posted plans/designs for the very same thing last year...

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby SonOfUgly » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:50 pm

really need to go there and see how the whole thing works and the crazy crazy stuff that is already out there... there are big dance spot in the camping area, but that wouldnt really be the best thing out in the open playa
SonOfUgly

Postby Bounce530 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:11 am

You could park something out on the playa and let people party on it, but do you really think that you could just jump in it and start it up and cruise it over to the next spot? People are going to fuck with your shit out on the playa. Its a groovy thought, but to leave something out there, you're going to have to make it way beyond child proof.
But to park it where you camp, now thats a different story...
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby capjbadger » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:06 am

Park at camp??
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mine is too wide to drive on any street... :D
Besides, it double as my camp. ;)

CAMP MOBILE! Hmmmm...

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:50 pm

I say go to Burning Man first before planning anything like that. There are shitloads of factors to consider that you can't know about until you've been there.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:33 pm

I just read your thread about being a broke 19-year-old... I admire your spirit, but as a reality check, have you any clue how many thousands of dollars this (the mobile fold-out semi truck dance club) would cost? It would be difficult to keep it under 5 figures by the time everything it involved was added up.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:11 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I just read your thread about being a broke 19-year-old... I admire your spirit, but as a reality check, have you any clue how many thousands of dollars this (the mobile fold-out semi truck dance club) would cost? It would be difficult to keep it under 5 figures by the time everything it involved was added up.

I had not noticed until earlier - go to BM first, figure out where it is you fit.

Captain Damnit is right your looking at thousands of bucks in work and materials. To cut corners on something that will be load bearing with people on it isnt smart and if too shoddy BM wouldnt license it or INVITE you to bring it.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby FightingDrag » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:12 am

I KNOW THIS!!!!
i posted this to throw the idea out and get CONSTRUCTIVE criticisim, im kinda impressed on the awsome responces i have gotten so-far

:) im figuring around 300k max, maybe 130 if im lucky? if my uncle gets me a sweet deal on a used semi tractor posibly only 90k and THAT would be sweet

And THIS was only a crack-pot idea i have....
but what would be EPIC is to paint the tractor-trailer as optimus prime, and get a voice-over system, and have optimus be the DJ
FightingDrag

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:10 am

Do you have a CDL liscence with brakes/trailer endorsement ?

( I am starting to smell another sock)
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby FightingDrag » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:02 pm

Omg, like i said, this is all a IDEA so far. im 19!!! u rlly think im going to do all this immediately?!

but i know its not hard to get one in my area, theres a truck driving school throwing adds on the radio in my area.

(( btw, your signature gif is awsome!!))
FightingDrag

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:29 pm

A CDL costs $3k to $5k. For future reference.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sham » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:41 pm

FightingDrag wrote:Omg, like i said, this is all a IDEA so far. im 19!!! u rlly think im going to do all this immediately?!

but i know its not hard to get one in my area, theres a truck driving school throwing adds on the radio in my area.

Oh my! Slow down grasshopper. In one post you're trying to figure out how you are going to raise the money to buy food and a ticket and the next post you're building a semi-truck that shoots lasers.
Have your mom pack lunches and dinners for 7 days and come and see what it's all about. After attending for your first time in 2009 or 2010, you can post yourself senseless with all your great ideas. For now, take a deep breath, slow yourself down, and read the first timers guide over and over and try to absorb as much as you can.
Sham

Postby FightingDrag » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:22 pm

Shambala wrote:
FightingDrag wrote:Omg, like i said, this is all a IDEA so far. im 19!!! u rlly think im going to do all this immediately?!

Oh my! Slow down grasshopper. In one post you're trying to figure out how you are going to raise the money to buy food and a ticket and the next post you're building a semi-truck that shoots lasers.
Have your mom pack lunches and dinners for 7 days and come and see what it's all about. After attending for your first time in 2009 or 2010, you can post yourself senseless with all your great ideas. For now, take a deep breath, slow yourself down, and read the first timers guide over and over and try to absorb as much as you can.

I know!!!!!! lol but im going to design it and be smart about this, like 2-4 years of planning for somthing like this is not a bad thing. so gwarrrrrr!!!

I turned your BBC code on - Makes quotes easier to read.
FightingDrag

Postby jkisha » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:31 pm

Plus, you've never been there...you may not even like it! LOL

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby SonOfUgly » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:19 pm

FightingDrag wrote:

but what would be EPIC is to paint the tractor-trailer

take it you STILL havnt read the MV licensing......just painting it wont get you no where there buddyboy
SonOfUgly

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:23 pm

check out the image gallery for vehicles...will give you an idea of the structure and lighting involved. Whatever you build, especially if it is big or heavy, needs to be able to withstand 50+ mph wind gusts. If you want a stationary stage that moves each day to a new spot, you may want to contact the Artery and coordinate your project with them (they manage the placed art at BM). Chances are the vehicle would still have to be licensed as a MV however. The idea is feasible, but would have intense logistical considerations, require a dedicated crew of at least 10 people to run, and cost a lot (5-6 figures).
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Sham » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:41 pm

FightingDrag wrote:
I know!!!!!! lol but im going to design it and be smart about this, like 2-4 years of planning for somthing like this is not a bad thing. so gwarrrrrr!!!

This event needs young eager pups like yourself to keep things exciting and creative. I hope you take these suggestions positively. I really hope you get to attend in 2009 and plan on doing lots of observing and working on future ideas at that time. Keep your participating limited to helping others who need assitance and smaller, less expensive projects on your own. Make this first visit as inexpensive as you can and start preparing now. Once you get there, you will have vivid ideas of what will work and what won't work on the playa. Any planning now is just spinning your wheels and may not be appropriate.
You are warmly welcomed to the playa and if I find you out there, I will give you a great big bear hug.
For now, take a 20mg Valium and go to sleep!
Shambala
Sham

Postby FightingDrag » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:54 am

I DONT GOT ANAY VALLIA-WHATSHIT!!!

lol, seriously now, i know most of the stuff your saying guys. :) except the ... not remimbering the acronym right now, but the people who manage where the art is placed. thx for the tip.
as for the tractor, i might make a "frame" to disguise the look of it, then make it into a sculpture piece from there that will go along with the yearly theme.

(sutch as with a truck, u can attatch a frame to the drill holes along the back, then simply make the "frame" attatch with eye-bolts, then u simply need the frame to reach over the hood, and down, and u got a giant moving box!)

as for this years burn. it my first, im trying to get some friends who are open and willing to go to go (i got some so far!!) from there, as i have heard volunteering for some stuff helps. so im going to shoot for lamp-lighting for a evening. otherwise im explorin the playa. when it comes closer to burn time and sutch, ill be posting info on how u guys can come meet the hyper-freak spewin ideas

Loves to ya all!!
FightingDrag

Next

Return to Get Involved!