Hamza Lila on Thursday night @ Reorient

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Hamza Lila on Thursday night @ Reorient

Postby Savior69 » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:07 pm

Did any one else catch the amazing 4 hour set by Hamza Lila Thurs. night? Totally spiritual and deeply grooving, they played until sunrise. One of my favorite memories from the past burn.

Here is a link to a picture I took that night:

http://www.pbase.com/image/21069715
Savior69

Postby Catblack » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:27 am

I believe it's "Hamsa Lila" or House of Hamsa.

They rock. They were my best memory from 2002. I had stopped in center camp to relax, I closed my eyes and started hearing the funkiest riff I'd ever heard. Funkier than James Brown. Ancient funk. Just amazing.

And then the band started playing. I opened my eyes and everyone was dancing. I'd closed them 10 minutes before and it was just croweded sleepytime in there. Then, WOW everybody's grooving and dancing!

And at the end, I was right up close to the stage with my eyes closed again, feeling mind and body fufilled. Afterwards, with the sun up, I was so moved I could not speak. I had the greatest morning playa walk back to my tent. I smiled for days.

This year, I was tired, but made myself trudge up to Reorient in hopes of maybe finding an art car to get home with. Lucky me, I caught their set, and was amazed to see them play through a few whiteouts. Yeah, they were worth the cold and the late hour.

If any y'all catch them, listen for when they really, really get in the groove. I don't want to spoil the magic of it, but when you hear it, take a look -- they'll all have their eyes closed too.
Catblack

Postby The Bass » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:42 pm

i am very proud to say this was the third year in a row we were fortunate
enough to have hamsa lila on thursday night at reorient (formerly disorient).

and you better (beyond) believe they own that night for as long as they keep coming to brc!!!!!!

teensy plug: the website is www.hamsalila.com and they are releasing an album this fall....
The Bass

Postby ramen » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:49 pm

I was in the same audience as Catbird. I had left my beloved in the med tent with a bad case of nausea about midnight. As I walked across center camp the most wonderful music came rolling through me.

I was drawn to their performance. They played and played and jammed until the dawn. Truly one of the most magical times I have ever had.
ramen

Postby dak » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:33 am

:o Yeah…Hamsa Lila was certainly one of the highlights of the week for me too. I danced to their grooves til about 5am at ReOrient. I also saw them jamming out on some art car the next night.

I couldn't recall their name or even where I saw them. Then, after days of searching, I came upon this forum and found all your descriptions. It's so thrilling for me to have found the info I yearned for. Now I've gotta buy their cd, or trek up (from LA) to one of their next shows.

Thanx to all of you sharing your experiences!

-DAK
dak

Return to Politics & Philosophy