someone adopt me!

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

someone adopt me!

Postby mercury_988 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:54 pm

i want to be as involved as possible at burning man. i have some basic construction skills, and i can paint well. i really just want to be part of any group that could use my help since this will be my first year going and i want it to be as complete an experience as possible.
mercury_988

Postby jkisha » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:38 pm

Other than getting involved with a camp, a GREAT way to get involved is to volunteer. My partner and I belong to a camp and are quite involved with planning and setup. But in addition we volunteer at the bus depot, selling ice, lamp lighters, etc.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: someone adopt me!

Postby Sham » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:13 pm

mercury_988 wrote:i want to be as involved as possible at burning man. i have some basic construction skills, and i can paint well. i really just want to be part of any group that could use my help since this will be my first year going and i want it to be as complete an experience as possible.

If you can paint my house, mow my lawn and cook a nice meal, then I will adopt you!
Buy seriously folks, attend some local burner "meet and greets" and you will find some nice people who would be glad to befriend you. I can't speak for Michigan, but burners in every other state are really friendly and open to new blood. Just make a little effort to get out there and the rest will be easy.
Best of luck and WELCOME!

oh, read the first timers guide and buy a dust mask!
Sham

Postby mercury_988 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:19 am

i am already shopping for my dust mask and goggles :)
how do i find a camp that wants me?
mercury_988

Postby Sail Man » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Look on the main BM site and follow the links to the theme camps. check them out, many of them have their own websites that spell out membership etc.

Stag camp is one group that takes lone peeps from all over, kinda like a hostel. They have a group on tribe.

We have meet and greets from time to time here in the Detroit area along with other things going on, I see you've joined the yahoo group, most things are announced there.

Videogasm is a group from out east that I believe includes Michigan peeps. Others from this area camp with other camps.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby fciron » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 pm

Don't forget that you don't have to join a camp. I am gonna guess that most of the 50,000 folks there just came with some friends. (I know you're looking for them too.)

Just concentrate on being prepared and able to take care of your own needs. Then you will be much more attractive to any camp you may become interested in. I found the camp I went with on a none BM bulletin board, so look at interests and groups you already have and see if you can camp with folks who share your existing interests. I had planned to go on my own when I bought my ticket. In the course of my preparation and research I wound up attending a regional and a BWB work project. By the end of the summer I had four different groups that I could have camped with.

There are lots of ways to volunteer and get involved on the playa too.
fciron

Postby Oldguy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:37 pm

There is usually a bulletin board at information booth in Center Camp that people post for help/ volunteers. Usually near media mecca and the computer banks. If camps need help they put up signs there also. Lost people put up signs too. Towards the end of the week it gets to be a mess though. Just ask your neighbors.

:idea: Or you could take a bucket of water and towels to center camp and wash feet. A spray bottle of vinegar water , a bottle of massage oil. Then thank the recipiants for allowing you to serve them.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby mercury_988 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:31 am

i think i might bring paint so i can paint people... but i really want to find a group i can join before i get there so i know how lonely i should feel when im flying into reno.
mercury_988

Postby Sham » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:55 am

mercury_988 wrote:i think i might bring paint so i can paint people... but i really want to find a group i can join before i get there so i know how lonely i should feel when im flying into reno.

Let me put things into focus for you. You will not be lonely while at Burning Man. My favorite thing to do every day is to head my trusty bike in a new direction and meet people. I almost never hang at my camp or even with people from my camp. It can be rather uncomfortable not knowing anyone, but that feeling will leave you quickly once you enter the dusty gates and get a warm hug from a deranged greeter. Don't forget that you get to ring the "virgin bell" also!
You will do fine!
Now buy your fucking ticket!
Sham

Postby mercury_988 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 am

i've got it and im looking for cheap flights to reno :)
mercury_988

Postby jkisha » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:25 am

If you need a ride from Reno to BRC check them out: http://biotour.org/, though the navigation on their site isn't working with Internet Explorer. :(

My first year, though I was going to be joining up with a camp, I flew into Reno and then caught a ride to BRC on the Bio Bus. More than half the people on the bus were virgins and the crew were just great! It was a party all the way. I made so many instant friends on the bus that it wouldn't have even mattered if I was joining a camp or was camping alone.

They make a stop along the way for everybody to buy supplies too!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby mercury_988 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:43 am

thats pretty sweet i will definitely check it out
mercury_988

Postby gyre » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:45 pm

What kind of camp do you want to join?
gyre

Postby mercury_988 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:46 am

thats a good question. i havn't looked into camps in too much detail yet, so i'm not sure where to start other then looking through links on the main page.

i really just want to find a group of people with similar interests thats not too huge or too crazy. (which doesnt really help me figure out where im going at all)
mercury_988

Postby Sail Man » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:59 am

mercury_988 wrote:thats a good question. i havn't looked into camps in too much detail yet, so i'm not sure where to start other then looking through links on the main page.

i really just want to find a group of people with similar interests thats not too huge or too crazy. (which doesnt really help me figure out where im going at all)

I'll say. And since craziness isn't allowed at Burning Man BLM regulation aormxu.4485k.neb549.de paragraph 309fjto.dk397dfn.d94jfi section akdfjf.459e7dm you'll have no problem worrying about that. :P

The best thing I can suggest to you is to meet me in Clawson at the Black Lotus this weekend and buy me lots of beer. Uh, ok, the next best thing I can suggest to you is to scan the list of theme camps from 08 and check them out. It's cold outside Mercury, no need to be outside freezing ur privates, stay inside, surf the net. A myriad of interests. When you talk about painting are you referring to house painting or body painting. Construction skills can be valuable to most any camp, while body painting could work at a camp that is themed around that, but it is also something you can do while camping solo, as your gift to the community. I promise you, if you do that you will not be lonely. jkisha gave you great advice on the biobus, fciron also gave you great advice in camping solo, you will most def. meet peeps there that wil become your buds.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Mercury are you coming to recharge your batteries?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby mercury_988 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:52 pm

what batteries? :?

OOOOOO!!! XD
maybe. they're best filled with lots of laughter and happy people :)
mercury_988

Postby mercury_988 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:56 pm

i could paint houses or people, but i would much rather paint people :)
mercury_988

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:47 am

You can build a temple to Big Bunny, if you like.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby klondike_bar » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:49 am

well, i found the VERY straightfoward volunteer questionair on Burningman.com yesterday and filled it out within a few minutes. (top 3 choices: lampligters, arctica, cafe)

within a few hours, i had a very persuasive email from the ice fairy, trying to keep my cholaty exterior away from the heat.

I highly suggest anyone looking to help fills in the questionaire, as it seems that the entire city is hunting for helpers.

on a side note: I am able and willing to arrive a few days early for the event, if anyone is looking for some assistance in setup/construction/etc. I have adequate skills in carpentry, painting, and electric riggings (my fav).
klondike_bar

Return to Get Involved!