Digital TV Conversion

All things outside of Burning Man.

Digital TV Conversion

Postby gyre » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:22 pm

I thought this could be a place to share information about changing to hidef, modef and the adapting of lodef equipment.

I need some CECB coupons from people that aren't going to use them, and this can serve as a clearinghouse to pass them on to anyone else needing them too.
Please email me if you have spare coupons.

A CECB is a coupon eligible converter box, as defined by the government.
Every household is entitled to two coupons.
Anyone that is going to stay on cable or satellite dish or use a TV or CD player, etc with a digital tuner, does not need the converter box.
And anyone that only needs one can order both cards and pass one on.
Most of us only need the information off the card, not the actual card, as long as it has not been used.

The CECBs cannot output hidef and they are also limited in a number of other functions.
I need several because I want to use vcrs with timers and the government did not require full functionality, so it takes a number of them to get timer equipment to work and there are some other functions that only some units can do.
A number of them are very poor quality.

So if you aren't going to use your free coupons, please order a set and pass them on to me and other people that want to use them.
You don't need the physical cards unless you are buying from a store, so anyone ordering by mail does not need the physical card mailed.

This is the online link to order coupons.
They expire 90 days after being issued.
https://www.dtv2009.gov/ApplyCoupon.aspx
The phone number is 800/388-2009.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/
http://www.dtv.gov/

I want to thank everyone re-distributing their coupons.
My email can be accessed below or on my profile.
gyre

Digital Tuners

Postby gyre » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:54 pm

Digital tuners are rated to produce hidef or some lower level of picture quality.
There will be many that only produce lodef or SD for standard definition.
Any digital tuner that has the appropriate outputs to connect to older equipment with analog output will work.

CECBs are deliberately restricted in function and cannot produce hidef output.
They cannot output multi-channel sound although some can produce stereo.
Many have audio issues due to this.
Most do not have an S-Video output, though some do.
Almost none have a timer.
Only the Zinwell seems to be functional for timer use and there are very mixed reviews on its usefulness.
Some CECBs use a dc transformer and can be used on battery power, though consumption varies a lot.
The program guide varies from non-existent to a week of information.
Product quality and reception is often marginal.

The overall best single choice appears to be the Channelmaster CM-7000, made in Bulgaria.
The CM-7000 has S-Video output, a 10 hour program guide, is hardwired and has no pass through.
Many people like the latest Zenith, which also has a pass through.
It is important to get the latest model, as the software changes all the time and the early ones had many bugs.

This is a partial list of CECB boxes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CECB_units

More info on CECB units and links to hidef discussions too for those stepping up to 720 and 1080p.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=186
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Some discussion about closed captions, another area in which CECBs vary.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Compa ... /Archive_2
gyre

Postby gyre » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:05 pm

No one has a question or a suggestion?
Well, I have plenty of questions.
If anyone has all of this sorted out, I have some questions about HTPC setup. (home theatre personal computer)

We can talk about that too.

What is your experience with a digital tuner, of any kind, for antenna reception?
gyre

Postby ygmir » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:08 pm

well, Gyre,
I feel like Stevie Wonder at the movies here....but, will read with interest what comes of this............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gyre » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:13 pm

Stevie Wonder drove a car on the playa.
He said he had always wanted to drive and he loved it.
So there's a way sometimes.
gyre

Postby BAS » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:31 pm

I never could find anyone who knew where to get the coupons! I am not too worried, though. I only tend to watch television when I am at someone else's place, anyway. (Although I suppose getting a coupon or two for myself might not be a bad idea.)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby gyre » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:46 pm

Just don't forget you only have 90 days to use them.
And pass them on if you don't use them.

I couldn't find any good ones locally myself.
I had to mail order.

Any special requirements for your use?

I got the CM from summitsource and Stark's Electronics has a good reputation for those also.
I think Stark"s has better service, sometimes higher prices.
gyre

Postby BAS » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:57 pm

I don't know. I've got an old computer monitor for a television, and an old television I got from my brother, and a VCR, a set of rabbit ears, and a DVD player one or the other run through... or will when I figure out where I put the cords! :oops:

I really haven't looked for the coupons-- do you get them from the stores or something?

I don't recognize either of those store names...

Oooops! I have to go figure out what's going on with one of the elevators! Bye!
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Re: Digital TV Conversion

Postby gyre » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:06 pm

gyre wrote:
This is the online link to order coupons.
They expire 90 days after being issued.
https://www.dtv2009.gov/ApplyCoupon.aspx
The phone number is 800/388-2009.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/
http://www.dtv.gov/
gyre

Postby gyre » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:15 pm

BAS wrote:I don't know. I've got an old computer monitor for a television, and an old television I got from my brother, and a VCR, a set of rabbit ears, and a DVD player one or the other run through... or will when I figure out where I put the cords! :oops:

I really haven't looked for the coupons-- do you get them from the stores or something?

I don't recognize either of those store names...

Oooops! I have to go figure out what's going on with one of the elevators! Bye!

You can order them over the phone too.
They may even email the numbers out for those that don't need the physical coupons.
gyre

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:05 pm

all this talk of coupons makes me think of my grandmom and ice cream sodas
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:27 am

News on yahoo today that the program is out of money.
I'm not sure what this means for those still waiting.

There are some complete tuners out now for hidef and lodef with full audio features, outside of the program.
There are also some dvd units with tuners.
HTPC tuner cards are out in hidef too.
gyre

Postby pinemom » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:35 am

we ordered coupons months ago....but they havent arrived yet...now I know why...according to news this morning...apparently the Gov did only a small fund for this movement, and did not expect the large numbers of requests. They have made clear that the waiting list(I guess anyone who hasnt received theirs by now) will not be issued until the ones already issued have not been used and expired...only then will they start to
re-issue the next batch.

WTF?

So now watching TV becomes a Privledge. Not a Right.

I may have to scrap the whole idea and go straight from the pc's to the tv's and sign up for one of the mail movie co's.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby jkisha » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:52 am

Interesting take on it Pinemon. How can you come to the conclusion that watching TV is a right or a privlidge? Or anything that the government should support or suppliment?

Let's take this a step back--what if you did not own a TV? Or what if it was back in the early 50's and you didn't own a TV. If you wanted to watch TV you wouold either go out and buy one if you could afford it, or you would go over to a neighbors house to watch on their set.

So, now the method of transmission has changed--so, if you want to again watch TV, you can either go out and buy a TV so you can watch it, or you go over to your neighbors.

I don't see the difference, nor to I see any reason that the government should even have to supply those cards for discounts on converter boxes.

So, if you want the right or the privlidge to watch all those great commercials, I don't think they should be subsidized by the government.

(That being said, I did apply for the cards; both of which I recieved and have since expires, as we decided to just junk the older TVs and buy new ones.)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:07 am

jkisha wrote:Interesting take on it Pinemon. How can you come to the conclusion that watching TV is a right or a privlidge? Or anything that the government should support or suppliment?

Let's take this a step back--what if you did not own a TV? Or what if it was back in the early 50's and you didn't own a TV. If you wanted to watch TV you wouold either go out and buy one if you could afford it, or you would go over to a neighbors house to watch on their set.

So, now the method of transmission has changed--so, if you want to again watch TV, you can either go out and buy a TV so you can watch it, or you go over to your neighbors.

I don't see the difference, nor to I see any reason that the government should even have to supply those cards for discounts on converter boxes.

So, if you want the right or the privlidge to watch all those great commercials, I don't think they should be subsidized by the government.

(That being said, I did apply for the cards; both of which I recieved and have since expires, as we decided to just junk the older TVs and buy new ones.)

that is well thought and written, JK, my compliments.
I must note, though, your last paragraph,and, when you spout any green environmental type leanings...........bring it up........
giggle......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby pinemom » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:11 am

Thats kind of where I was heading.
Concidering that most of what we already pay for in order to have the right to view the Tv programs.
Ie...cable....
Ok...I pay for that.

15 yrs ago I had to go get all the coaxel cables to be able to put in new technology to except dvd players.

I do understand that, yes....analog is out dated.

That Digital is the NEW way.

That we are America and we must keep up with the worlds technology.
So how bout the idea that they have known for over a decade that this day was coming. How bout all the Television sets we have bought in the last 5-10 yrs....Why is this certain digital reader installed as a component...IE hgtv...If this was known by the television makers...

ok blah blah blah...

Lobbyists.

Seems that the television and media companies figured this out 10 yrs ago...that the digital market would be excepted by the government.
And in turn it would force everyone to look at it the same way...go buy a new digital TV....$$$... or that box if your so broke or stubborn to go get a new tv.

Moot point I know.

I'll get my uneducated to this process outa here............
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:15 am

just follow the money and power trail...........
it will explain it clearly...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Green Wood » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:37 am

I converted from Islam

Now I'm fully a Digital follower!

1010101010101010101 Ooooooommmmmm!
I might be green, but I can burn brite with the help of my playa friends!
Green Wood

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:23 am

We got the coupons to use on Larry's truck ... they were like credit cards with serial numbers and his name on them. Best buy kinda checked he was him. The second one expired in October.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elliot » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:42 am

:D
Hi, I'm Elliot, and I have been without television reception in my home for six years and seven months.
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:18 am

And yet, here you are, typing away on this television with VD they call a computer.

Pinemom, you should have gotten yours by now.
Go to the site and check on them or call in.
gyre

Postby Elliot » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:25 am

gyre wrote:And yet, here you are, typing away on this television with VD they call a computer.

Yes. The 'puter is the new TV, and I am addicted to it. Hopefully, the day shall come when I use this machine only for truly useful tasks, also. :?
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:31 am

Television and computer will soon be all one unit.
It is already possible to get these and set up any system to operate this way.
gyre

Postby twang2000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:23 pm

Lobbyists.

Seems that the television and media companies figured this out 10 yrs ago...that the digital market would be excepted by the government.
And in turn it would force everyone to look at it the same way...go buy a new digital TV....$$$... or that box if your so broke or stubborn to go get a new tv.
You said it! Any idea when this was passed and who signed it into law?
twang2000

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:33 pm

I don't know, but they have been arguing about it since the eighties, when Japan added high def.
Some companies did lobby to crappify the converter units.
gyre

Postby chiefdanfox » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:45 pm

Nah. The switch is to free up bandwidth and frequencies for telecommunications, specifically UHF.

And there is a right to public information, it is not just a privilege, just like there is a right to have a telephone that is subsidized. It has to do with public safety, general welfare and all of that other rot. Sort of like garbage collection and sewers. It is in every one's benefit to have neighbors that are informed, can call emergency services and who don't toss their chamber pots onto each others' front lawns. It keeps mayhem and cholera down to manageable levels.
chiefdanfox

Postby Sail Man » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:06 pm

gyre wrote:And yet, here you are, typing away on this television with VD they call a computer.

LMAO :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:28 pm

This is the current message posted after qualifying for coupons.
It is still advisable to get on the list as they will be sent out on a first come, first served basis.

IMPORTANT:
We have determined that your household is eligible to participate in this program. However, at this time program funding is not currently available to fulfill your request. Your application has been placed on a waiting list. You do not need to apply again. When and if funds become available, coupon requests will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis.
gyre

Postby jkisha » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:32 pm

chiefdanfox wrote:
And there is a right to public information, it is not just a privilege, just like there is a right to have a telephone that is subsidized.

So if I don't have and can't afford a TV set the government has to buy me one so I can stay informed and be safe???? I'll take one for the living room and one for each bed room--can I have cable with showtime and HBO too please?

I can MAYBE understand the reasoning for a phone, but not a TV set.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:51 pm

jkisha wrote:
chiefdanfox wrote:
And there is a right to public information, it is not just a privilege, just like there is a right to have a telephone that is subsidized.

So if I don't have and can't afford a TV set the government has to buy me one so I can stay informed and be safe???? I'll take one for the living room and one for each bed room--can I have cable with showtime and HBO too please?

I can MAYBE understand the reasoning for a phone, but not a TV set.

JK

I'm with you, JK,,,,,
the idea of "right" versus privilege............
a phone may be a good tool, and, even judged necessary. But, a "right" implies you should be provided one, if you can't afford one......
I'm not sure I go with that........
you may have a "right" to access a phone line in your neighborhood, but, no "right" to have them bring a line to you.....same with tv, whatever.
A "right" to public airwaves, accessible by a receiver you own......but, no "right" to cable tv.........
If it's "mandated" you have something, then, you'd have a "right" to have it provided if you can't afford..........
IE:
if it were mandated you have cable tv, then, it should be provided, if you can't.
People, IMHO, get "right" and "privilege" confused.
for instance:
the "right" to pursue happiness. no "right" to catch it.
So many feel they have a "right" to so much in our country, just because others have something..........
"Rights" are, and, should be, scarce. "options", though, are, and should be, everywhere. You just gotta find a way to take advantage of them.

*steps down off soapbox, bows to JK as inspiration*......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Next

Return to Open Discussion