Return ratio

Postby drutter » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:53 am

The part of rap that was suitable for going mainstream already has. The stuff you geezers are hating on, which would probably be 80's rap (it WAS crap) will never become popular. So don't worry about it! :p

As for the electronic/techno/drum&bass/edm/trance/etc stuff you hear pumping out all over the playa, which has become my favourite music as of late August 2008, actually isn't "mainstream". You guys talking about "mainstream" as though the stuff on the playa is such? It's not, trust me. If you listen to mainstream you'll hear Nickelback (hometown boys and I happen to like them), Rihanna, Madonna, Justin Timberlake, and Britney Spears. The stuff you hear on playa is amazing because it's NOT mainstream. It comes from the clubs of the 70s, 80s, and 90s and has been updated and enhanced for the 00s. :) I found myself enjoying it like I'd never before. The lights, the colours, the open sky, the solid playa, everything went really well with it, for me. Hearing anything mainstream, including most oldies, felt really wrong. It was mainstream I was escaping from and I didn't want to bring it on playa.

I'm 33, and 2008 was my first. I'll turn 34 on the drive down to Black Rock City in 2009. :)

ibdave wrote:Oh, Age 50 for me and 11 years in a row and wondering if I'll make it to 12 in a row.... Life happens.......

Are you unwell? :(
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Postby ibdave » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:17 am

drutter wrote:
ibdave wrote:Oh, Age 50 for me and 11 years in a row and wondering if I'll make it to 12 in a row.... Life happens.......

Ming and body are well. Thanks for asking.
Life happens is economy,kids,burn-out, I think you get my drift. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Sail Man » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:24 am

ibdave wrote:
drutter wrote:

:wink: Are you sure? It look's like it's already slipping :lol:

Mein onn tha uther han as is sharpp asa tacque. :P
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby klondike_bar » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:38 am

while the rest of north america rocked out to "all summer long" as there theme song for summer '08, the burners were all in the deep end....
klondike_bar

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm 44, but i only date women who are slightly older than half my age because i can, and because they have perkier titties and they tend not to talk back.

the women, not the titties.

i have returned, like a deranged homing pigeon, to the desolate wasteland known as sparks, every year to embark on a journey through Nixon, past empire, right down the middle of gerlach into Black Rock City, so that i feel like i have gotten my money's worth from the time-share i bought from the Real Estate division of HellCo. back in 96' from some saleman, Bernard, Bernard Mann i think his name was.

Anyway, Bernie promised me that my little piece of "nothing" would be here, year after year, waiting for me to set up my temporary condo, and as long as i pay a small "maintenance fee" every year, i could expect that "nothing" to be my safe haven away from the "everything", for as long as i lived.

i'll admit, the video was a little boring, but Larry didnt have the budget he does now, and the two free passes to the circus-circus buffet in Reno MORE than made up for the 6 and a half hour sales pitch.

all in all, i think i got a good deal, and am leveraging something so i can buy more nothing in the future.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby fatal_GRACE » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:12 pm

I'll be 22 when I meet the Playa, and I feel a little underaged after reading this thread. But, I stopped worrying about that after I saw the phrase 'young titties'.
fatal_GRACE

Postby gyre » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:59 pm

There are new burners a few months old.
A car coming in with a baby had a young kid as well.
It was his eighth burn.
gyre

Postby sattelite5812 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:52 am

I'm 30 and looking forward to my third consecutive Burn in '09. The friend I came with to my first Burn is a bit younger, but in the same circumstance. We brought another close friend last year who is also now hooked.
sattelite5812

Postby RodanCX » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:50 pm

Oh wow, i'm also 21 and 08 was my first year, and 09 will be my second year :)

Also don't worry, there's young people that don't like rap/hip-hop too, even tho there's a couple of alt hip hop that i've liked before.

But it all depends on the lyrics ie. i don't give a damn if the person has money/bootie/etc.
RodanCX

Postby Sail Man » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:28 am

gyre wrote:There are new burners a few months old.
A car coming in with a baby had a young kid as well.
It was his eighth burn.

I think the youngest I remember seeing in Kidsville was about 22 mths.

Sail Man

Postby sattelite5812 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:53 pm

RodanCX wrote:Also don't worry, there's young people that don't like rap/hip-hop too, even tho there's a couple of alt hip hop that i've liked before.

But it all depends on the lyrics ie. i don't give a damn if the person has money/bootie/etc.

I second this notion. Even techno/trance/whatever-it's-called (though it doesn't generally annoy me) gets tiresome after hearing it ceaselessly for a few days. That's why I love the deep playa, and places like the Sapphire Portal!
sattelite5812

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:20 pm

I'm 40 and returning for number 3. My lovely wife is coming back this year for her second trip.

Our son turns 18 next month and we are bringing him out with us. I figure the Playa is one of the better places to have a coming of age experience. :D
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:44 am

You seem a little young to have a son who can vote in the mid=terms. Of course, I come from one of those places where fertility is delayed. For all hte bitching about trustafarians, I have to admit that this is for me at least a pretty different mix of incomes, ect.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:39 am

Guess what fishy, my oldest is 24 and graduated from U of R and is on his way to Columbia Grad.

i was 19 when i got married, the first time, and i could be a grandpa if i hadnt specifically warned my offspring that i would cut it off if they did that to me before i was 50.

kids having kids....i know....we didnt have condoms way back then.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:44 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:Guess what fishy, my oldest is 24 and graduated from U of R and is on his way to Columbia Grad.

i was 19 when i got married, the first time, and i could be a grandpa if i hadnt specifically warned my offspring that i would cut it off if they did that to me before i was 50.

did you not have sheep?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby goathead » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:11 am

ygmir wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:Guess what fishy, my oldest is 24 and graduated from U of R and is on his way to Columbia Grad.

did you not have sheep?

City kids don't know what sheep are for.
goathead

Postby ygmir » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 am

explains the large forearms........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:18 am

dr.placebo wrote:When you get really major expansion you get a lot of first-timers. Probably less so in 2008. And if the 50k cap is enforced this may be the way it goes for a few years.

BTW, I'm 58, and I've done 10 consecutive burns, and I'm already planning for number 11 (see, it does go to 11!)

The "cap" isnt 50k its in the mid 60k range. limited to 6% growth a year, but that has already been exceeded so we are on way to hit the cap faster than planned for.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:58 am

I have talked my head off to my friends about the BURN... The only people that I have been successful into talking into going with me are Virgin guys,
who think they are gonna get laid. LOL MY roommate- I had to threaten her life -to get her to come ALONG!!! LOL

After 3 years of talking one of my buds Mouse; talked one of her friends,
a girlie- Raven- I hardly knew into making the trek with me. ( she went back and reported good things)
Mouse, made the trek last year and was SUPER brave and took the BIO BUS by herself, VIRGIN and all- talk about a leap of faith!!! (the bus was ssseveral hours late sooooo she didn't have to find the camp in the dark- they dropped her oFF right in front of CAMP!! sssssssooooo very nice of them...) Of the 5 people I have brought- Only one has returned the roommate!! We will see what next year brings my )*( )*( )*( )*( )*( )*( )*(

Like Simon I'm 44 and only Date guys/girls a little over half my age
also- 'cause I don't like them to talk back or try to tell me HOW to do THINGS!!! LOL teeeeeeehhhhhhheeeeeee
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby pinemom » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:33 pm

ibdave wrote:
drutter wrote:

Are you NOT coming in 2009 IbDave?
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Sail Man » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:21 pm

goathead wrote:
ygmir wrote:

did you not have sheep?

City kids don't know what sheep are for.

:wink:

Sail Man

Postby Sail Man » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm 47, have a 22 yr old son and a 6 yr old son. My older boy likes to raz me that I almost made it to freedom, before having to start all over. :lol: I'll be old and grey like Goathead before I finally get free :D

Sail Man

Postby xxRion » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:10 pm

My age wont ever stop me from going..
i have been to two burns... 07' and 08'
I am super stoked for BM 09..
i am going to go every year.
i feel at home there.
everyone is so amazing...and i always have the time of my life.
i am bringing one virgin for sure..and possibly 2 others
i cant wait.
:D
xxRion
xxRion

Postby sattelite5812 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:36 pm

mdmf007 wrote:
dr.placebo wrote:When you get really major expansion you get a lot of first-timers. Probably less so in 2008. And if the 50k cap is enforced this may be the way it goes for a few years.

BTW, I'm 58, and I've done 10 consecutive burns, and I'm already planning for number 11 (see, it does go to 11!)

The "cap" isnt 50k its in the mid 60k range. limited to 6% growth a year, but that has already been exceeded so we are on way to hit the cap faster than planned for.

Yeah, let's hit the cap, keep spreading the word that Burning Man "was better 5 years ago" and has "jumped the shark" and thus eliminate all the frat boys & spectators... all that will be left are the "real burners"
sattelite5812

Postby ibdave » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:48 pm

pinemom wrote:
ibdave wrote:
drutter wrote:

Are you NOT coming in 2009 IbDave?

yes/no/maybe/kindasorta :? 8) :?
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 pm

I hate hiphop enough to quit going to Burning Man if it were to become predominate out there.
But, to chime in and post my return stats, I first showed up in 2000, did every year since except '05 and '06.
I haven't decided about '09 yet. It always costs me a shitload of dough, and '08 really broke the bank.`
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby mars » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:35 am

I'll be 50 this year for Burn #7...
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:27 am

48 now and '09 will be Burn #4.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Sail Man » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:45 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I hate hiphop enough to quit going to Burning Man if it were to become predominate out there.
But, to chime in and post my return stats, I first showed up in 2000, did every year since except '05 and '06.
I haven't decided about '09 yet. It always costs me a shitload of dough, and '08 really broke the bank.`

Oh please please please please come in 09 Captain. I'm am so looking forward to us getting to raz each other in person :P Surely you would'nt deprive us of that pleasure, please?! I promise I'll leave the zebra mussel's home 8)

Sail Man

Postby unjonharley » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:16 am

Will b 72 & 9th yr in 09
unjonharley

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Theme