beach burn

The place to discuss unofficial events, meetups, and gatherings around the world.
beca

beach burn

Post by beca » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:39 pm

Hey all.....

We have another beach burn coming up on the 3rd of April, and will continue to hold them every first Saturday of the month until Red White and Blue closes......

When: April 3rd-4th.
Where: Red White and Blue outside of Santa Cruz, off HWY 1.
Who: Everyone is invited.
Why: Because we want to.

What to bring: Wood for the fire, beer to share and anything you will need for camping.

Camping is $15.00 per night per person, if you arrive before 3PM they WILL charge you an extra $10.00 for day use as well as the $15.00 camping fee.

Red White and Blue is a private clothing optional beach and no dogs are allowed.

For more information about the beach please visit their site at redwhiteandbluebeach.com

I have more than likely left something out so I reserved the right to add another post for this event or if you have any questions please send me a message.

Disclaimer:
"This gathering is neither endorsed by nor associated with the Burningman LLC or Burning Beach (the Santa Cruz BM Regional Coordinators)."

By the way....

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:31 pm

I have recently come upon the information that some other burners are also having gatherings at Red White and Blue, but these are "invitation only." This makes my blood boil due to the imperiousness shown to not only the real world, but fellow burners. I have been invited through a friend but you can be assured that I go no where that "sitting by the fire and drinking beer" is looked at as a negative, taboo practice. I'm sure this will offend someone but it needs to be said. To burn is to except, not reject. If we as a community can't get our sh*t together enough to embrace one another as burners, how will we ever find the zen within our own worlds?

precipitate
Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Post by precipitate » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:33 pm

I'm sorry, are you implying that any gathering of people who go to
Burning Man should be open to everyone who goes to Burning Man, or
indeed to anyone?

Re: By the way....

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:53 pm

melissa wrote:To burn is to except, not reject.
-
ex·cept (k-spt)
prep.
With the exclusion of; other than; but: everyone except me.
-

sounds like that's what they're doing. so they must be good burners.

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:06 pm

melissa wrote:I have recently come upon the information that some other burners are also having gatherings at Red White and Blue, but these are "invitation only." This makes my blood boil due to the imperiousness shown to not only the real world, but fellow burners. I have been invited through a friend but you can be assured that I go no where that "sitting by the fire and drinking beer" is looked at as a negative, taboo practice. I'm sure this will offend someone but it needs to be said. To burn is to except, not reject. If we as a community can't get our sh*t together enough to embrace one another as burners, how will we ever find the zen within our own worlds?
So we shouldn't bother to have our own camp spaces, private areas, and should just give away our food and water to whomever wants it...?
melissa wrote:To burn is to except, not reject.
I thought burning was combustion of a flammable material.

Also are you sure you mean "except?"

Main Entry: except
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French excepter, from Latin exceptare, from exceptus, past participle of excipere to take out, except, from ex- + capere to take -- more at HEAVE
transitive senses : to take or leave out from a number or a whole : EXCLUDE
intransitive senses : to take exception : OBJECT
- ex·cep·tive /-'sep-t&v/ adjective
melissa wrote:how will we ever find the zen within our own worlds
The same place with find the Chan?
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante

rodent

Post by rodent » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:14 pm

melissa wrote:I have recently come upon the information that some other burners are also having gatherings at Red White and Blue, but these are "invitation only." This makes my blood boil due to the imperiousness
<<SNIP>>

This makes me sad. I thought we were a "radically inclusive" group. Smacks of Starbellied Sneech-ism.

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)

precipitate

Post by precipitate » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:17 pm

Why does it make you sad? Are people who go to Burning Man now no
longer allowed to have their own personal group of friends? Must every
event be all-inclusive?

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:20 pm

precipitate - Mar 25 2004, 2:26PM
meanyhead
I'm back recently partially because of the skin development. I need to be over there to figure out how to make stuff work. Been poking at newbies for sport. It's a bad habit.
http://3playa.cultureshark.net/?view_th ... 106#bottom

taliasen - Mar 25 2004, 3:29PM
Been poking at newbies for sport

What defines a newbie?
Zane5100 - Mar 25 2004, 3:30PM
kill a kitten for Christ--he's a movie star, don'tcha know?

Okay, now I'm back over hunting for a good poking target.
precipitate - Mar 25 2004, 3:31PM
meanyhead
> What defines a newbie?

angrykittie25
precipitate - Mar 25 2004, 3:33PM
meanyhead
> good poking target

Regional Events, latest post (well, before mine).
taliasen - Mar 25 2004, 3:40PM
Can see how its hard to resist....

To burn is to expect, not to reject

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
Blenderhead - Mar 25 2004, 3:43PM
Easily amused.
she was trying to say accept
precipitate - Mar 25 2004, 3:43PM
meanyhead
> To burn is to expect, not to reject

I believe she wrote "except," meaning, of course, "accept."
taliasen - Mar 25 2004, 3:43PM
Are you sure?

precipitate - Mar 25 2004, 3:44PM
meanyhead
Seeing as how she's bitching about some other burner group having invite-only beach burns (The horror! The horror!), I'm pretty sure that's what she meant.
taliasen - Mar 25 2004, 3:46PM
Seems like she expects

regardless talking to people like that is like talking to a wall for all the fucking difference it makes......
precipitate - Mar 25 2004, 3:46PM
meanyhead
Sometimes. But it's good sport :)
Zane5100 - Mar 25 2004, 3:52PM
Sometimes. But it's good sport :)

I'm bored, so I'm giving her a shot across the bow.
Booker - Mar 25 2004, 3:54PM
wildly inefficient
I suppose it's a sign of my general bad-personness that I'm so tempted to run over and defend this person.

Then again, anyone who mixes up except and accept can take what she has coming.
genghis - Mar 25 2004, 3:54PM
like a crisp definition?
precipitate - Mar 25 2004, 3:55PM
meanyhead
<swoon>
Booker - Mar 25 2004, 3:56PM
wildly inefficient
Yeah, but upside the head. Hard. (Suspecting that's what she got, but not interested enough to go check.)

And she wants to be a moderator?
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... &start=120

precipitate

Post by precipitate » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:24 pm

> And she wants to be a moderator?

In fact, I don't want to be a moderator.

Now, if you'd like to continue shit-stirring, we can take it to another more
appropriate thread.

And for the record, I am asking a legitimate question in *this* thread,
and would appreciate a straightforward answer from the original poster
(and rodent too).

talisen

Post by talisen » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:00 pm

Allanon03 wrote:
And she wants to be a moderator?
Jeez, Alawhateverthefuckyournameisthisweek, is that the best you can do? Lurking and quoting is so lazy. Go back to watching daytime tv already....

III

Post by III » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:18 pm

>> To burn is to except,

that may be my new tagline...

why didn't i know about that?
cause i invited everyone except you!
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

HOLY COW!

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:38 pm

Wow, I didn't realize how irritated people can get. Oh well, I knew I'd offend someone, everyone always does
Ya, I realized the except, accept thing after I posted it. Good thing on all my school papers I have spellcheck. :D

I don't think it's wrong to have your own group of friends, but all the years I've seen the man burn I've always thought that the greatest part of the community was the way that everyone was welcome. It makes me sad that the new burners (If that is the case.) don't feel as comfortable meeting new people.
What do you think Rodent?

precipitate

Post by precipitate » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:44 pm

> It makes me sad that the new burners (If that is the case.) don't feel as
> comfortable meeting new people.

Maybe you haven't provided enough detail, but I'm still confused as to the
problem here. Was this some advertised Burning Man event, invite only?
Or was it a group of people who know each other and had a beach burn?
If it's the former, I can see being annoyed. If the latter, what's the
problem?

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:46 pm

By the way, my brother will be there on the third to give you your jacket Rodent, I probably won't be there because I'm seeing A Perfect Circle in the City.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:48 pm

When I first went to BM in 02 I had the impression that everything was going to be open and all inclusive. What I found on the playa didn't turn out like that and for the first two days I felt a sense that I was an outsider...especially when it came to the theme camps.

I found a way around that. I volunteered for the BRCPO, and delivery mail gave me the equivalent of an all access pass. Not that I needed one but delivering mail let me get back into the camps and meet all kinds of people. I know this kinda differs from what you were talking about but maybe you can get something out of it. You find ways to work around limitations and barriers.

Anyway the mail delivery let me find out that I wasn't that comfortable with some of the camps and with others I ended up making friends that I have to this day. I'll shut up and say "Make your own opportunities". And I apologize for drifting but the thread just brought this out.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:48 pm

I guess I'm just bitchy when it comes to elitism. And yes, I'm sure I spelled that wrong.

rodent

Post by rodent » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:55 pm

"Include yourself, include others"

that to me is a HUGE part of what makes BM different and what makes burners, burners. You do have a point percip, people have the right to have private gettogethers at the exclusion of others. Thats why people have backyard BBQj's and not FRONTYARD BBQ's (wich is something I am thinking of encouraging.

I've had random people wander into my beachburns and many have returned, with positive impacts. The power of sharing and accepting of others is so often uinderated.

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)

foamin' at the mouth
Location: that fishing village designed by interior decorators

Post by foamin' at the mouth » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:24 pm

Would you all invite Allanon3 to your barbeque? Careful, he might steal your silverware--or at least your potato salad-- when you aren't looking, and try to run over it with his Dodge Neon.

I hope a fork gets stuck in the sidewall of your tire or that you get indigestion from your purloining actions, A3.

I wonder what those who work hard to administer this board feel about someone taking text from another board and posting it on this one without the express permission of the users of that board or its administrator. I' suppose it's legal. But how do you feel about it ethically? Does it fit within the intentions and or guidlines of this board?

Forgive me if I sound naive.
I often heard the sorrel nag (who always loved me) crying out, ..."Take care of thyself, gentle Yahoo."

III

Post by III » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:26 pm

>>elitism

i understand the concern. however, there are a number of factors at stake in developing a community, and some of them involve establishing a lowest allowable denominator. the whole "i just gotta ticket" thread is all about that.

the usual response to that sort of complaint around these parts, btw, is that you're always free to have your own burns, and invite whoever you want.

(and someone actually recently tried that, except that they didn't realize that they'd have to bring wood. there's a lesson there, somewhere...)
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: HOLY COW!

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:42 pm

melissa wrote:....Good thing on all my school papers I have spellcheck. :D ....
If not smileycheck.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:00 pm

They forgot the wood?!?! thats funny. Well we do have monthly burns whenever we get our asses together, and they really kick butt, thanks to Rodent and his awesome man creations.

I'm stuck in the late 90's burns when it was all inclusive. I'm not sure that I'll go this year because it has grown so much, it just seems like people get meaner and meaner. Labels suck.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:55 pm

For every asshole that makes it to the playa, imho there are 9 others who's behavior totally offsets or exceeds the negativity. In other words, don't let the size of BRC scare you off. There's still a lot of good people there.

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:13 pm

I have recently come upon the information that some other burners are also having gatherings at Red White and Blue, but these are "invitation only." This makes my blood boil due to the imperiousness shown to not only the real world, but fellow burners. I have been invited through a friend but you can be assured that I go no where that "sitting by the fire and drinking beer" is looked at as a negative, taboo practice. I'm sure this will offend someone but it needs to be said. To burn is to except, not reject. If we as a community can't get our sh*t together enough to embrace one another as burners, how will we ever find the zen within our own worlds?
Words of a naive, idealistic pup if'n you ask me.

Can't figure out what the deal is here. Honestly. The beach burns - of whch there are many here in the bay area - are often by word of mouth and certain lists. One might argue that even that method of transmitting the info carries a bit of exclusivity in it and I might even be inclined to agree. But the naivete which suggests that there is (or should be) this open-door invite for a more formalized, intimate gathering in which any and all people can roll through the door and hang out just because one clips the moniker of 'burner' around their neck is totally bogus I think. I mean, it does work often enough when you have large gatherings that actively solicite such crowds. But should ALL such gatherings have such a policy? I mean, really?

A good example which occurred not long after the 2003 Burn was a gathering of folks down at Red White and Blue beach. Great crowd, good people, super weather and lots of friendly interaction among a group - even though many of them didn't know each other. The organizers who sent out the invites took it upon themselves to mix it up and invite a lot of people through recommendations and other word-of-mouths. It was great. great until the uninvited guy showed up who on his own proceeded to turn the ENTIRE vibe of the gathering into an exercise in defensiveness, evasion and ultimately confrontation. The guy was an ass. A drunk. An obnoxious irritant to every woman at the event. He was asked to leave multiple times. He was physically ejected multiple times and yet, he insisted on returning and repeating the same unsociable, unacceptable behaviors. The guy would NOT leave. In the end he pissed off one of the guys (or woman) enough that in the middle of the night he ended up getting his ass beat pretty bad. It wasn't a pretty sight but he didn't return either. The next morning there was a pall about the encampment because we collectively realized that what happened wasn't cool but none of us were surprised that it had happened.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that like it or not there is a social structure that exists both on and off the paya. You can't avoid it. As social creatures it's fundamnetal fact that we all participate in very structured social rituals. To suggest that these entrenched (hard wired?) structures are (or should be) suspended just because you have this expectation based on your perceptions and experiences on the playa is kinda silly to this writer.

Good luck in finding your egalitarian paradise.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:17 pm

Impartiality?

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... &start=135
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:43 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this brings up an interesting question (one which probably should not be
asked) in regards to moderation.

Moderators need to be above criticism, to a certain degree. They must be
perceived to be impartial, regardless of their personal preferences.

Is it possible that Badger, or I, could be effective moderaters were it done
with another login? Is it possible that such personas could attain enough
credibility to guide the eplaya community?

I ask because the personalities that now have both enough time on the
boards and enough impartiality are limited to technopatra. And I know
she doesn't have enough time to do the job.

So how do you handle it?

I'll cross-post in suggestions.
"Is it possible that Badger, or I, could be effective moderaters?" Look for yourself as she pokes fun at newbies.

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 05&start=0
precipitate - Mar 25 2004, 2:26PM
meanyhead
I'm back recently partially because of the skin development. I need to be over there to figure out how to make stuff work. Been poking at newbies for sport. It's a bad habit.

http://3playa.cultureshark.net/?view_th ... 106#bottom

taliasen - Mar 25 2004, 3:29PM

What defines a newbie?
Zane5100 - Mar 25 2004, 3:30PM

Okay, now I'm back over hunting for a good poking target.
precipitate - Mar 25 2004, 3:31PM
meanyhead
> What defines a newbie?

angrykittie25
"Is it possible that such personas could attain enough
credibility to guide the eplaya community?" NO!

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:37 pm

A3, you didn't read the threads very well. They haven't picked ANYONE to be a moderator yet. Your stirring up stuff that doesn't need to be stirred. Let it go and find something else better to do. And besides, one thread's worth of comments is not enough to judge anyone with.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:57 pm

I'd like to say thank you to everyone who helped me recover from my outburst of emotion. I hope that there will always be people who really do listen and think, and I sincerely hope that Tancorix is right, because I do think that I'm hooked on fire.

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:53 am

Yeah, I took a shot.

I feel real bad now.

Happy?
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante

talisen

Post by talisen » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:41 am

melissa wrote: because I do think that I'm hooked on fire.
Somewhere Jon Lovitz is getting rather annoyed.

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:30 am

I haven't done the research so I can't say for certain; but there may be strong legal reasons for saying an event is "by invite only." If somebody gets injured and tries to sue the organizer, the case for negligence could be harder to prove. Or not, as I say,I'm not sure.

-------------

One other thing. I call myself a "burner." Please don't let this 'label' drive you to make assumptions about me.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:35 am

And another thing!

Selectively and creativly quoting things out of context is no better then a bald faced lie.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Return to “Off-Playa Meetups”