Deleting New Posts

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Deleting New Posts

Postby jkisha » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Has a new feature been added to allow us to delete our posts? Or have I just not ever noticed that before?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ygmir » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:30 pm

I can't imagine you writing anything you'd want to erase, JK........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Dork » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:33 pm

That feature is turned off for most forums, but some may be set up differently. I haven't really investigated which setting it is that enables it.

How about this - do you all feel it SHOULD be anabled? Everywhere, or just certain forums? I believe there's a limitation on it like a time period and/or whether someone has replied yet but I'm not sure what those details are off the top of my head.
Dork

Postby jkisha » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:03 pm

I think its a nice feature. I don't even remember which forum I was posting in when I noticed it. Having the ability to edit a post is essential; but the delete feature is just icing. The only occaision I would have had to use it was when I had a couple of double posts; but maybe someone might have after-thoughts when posting in haste.

I was just surprised to notice the option and was sort of doing a sanity check.

Thanks for asking.

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:06 pm

ygmir wrote:I can't imagine you writing anything you'd want to erase, JK........

LOL That's actually true, but not because I think all of my posts are pearls of wisdom to be preserved for all time. I have often written replies to posts that after proof-reading have decided it better not to hit the submit button.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:53 pm

Oh no, not this again. The delete post option was turned off to prevent sock puppets from deleting their posts and covering their tracks. What was put in place was the 1 hour edit rule and that fixed a lot of problems. If the delete option is turned back on, the history of this board shows it WILL be abused.

Dork, I know this is your board to admin as you see fit, but I hope you DON'T enable that option!
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby jkisha » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:43 pm

Kinetic V wrote:Oh no, not this again. The delete post option was turned off to prevent sock puppets from deleting their posts and covering their tracks. What was put in place was the 1 hour edit rule and that fixed a lot of problems. If the delete option is turned back on, the history of this board shows it WILL be abused.

Dork, I know this is your board to admin as you see fit, but I hope you DON'T enable that option!

Huh? Cover their tracks? They would have deleted their tracks. I guess I'm just naive, but how would that be a problem? They can only delete their posts and I'm assuming that they probably couldn't delete them after an hour the same as edit.

I just don't understand that comment and how it would be a detrimental feature.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby fciron » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:59 am

jkisha, I think the problem is that someone could stir up all kinds of trouble and hurt feelings and then delete the evidence so that the mods couldn't ban them.

I once made a comment in another forum that unintentionally upset a few folks. If I had deleted it then all of the responses would have made them look like idiots rather than me.

:wink:
fciron

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:12 am

Kinetic V wrote:Oh no, not this again. The delete post option was turned off to prevent sock puppets from deleting their posts and covering their tracks. What was put in place was the 1 hour edit rule and that fixed a lot of problems. If the delete option is turned back on, the history of this board shows it WILL be abused.

Yes this is true.

We had problems with the delete button when phpbb came online.
You dont want to turn that on.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:56 pm

This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby gyre » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:28 pm

The delete option doesn't work once someone has replied.

I can't really see a problem with it.
I wouldn't mind a longer edit time either.
Sometimes it's easy to miss mistakes.

I have even been working on changing something and had it lock up and I lost what I typed.
I am always too disgusted to start over.
I have lost a lot of technical info I have come up with that way before.
gyre

Return to Feature Requests