Chat

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Chat

Postby VelcroChicken » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:13 pm

I think we need a chat room.

Either just hosted on here or IRC or something.

I kind of looked through seeing if others made this suggestion in the past, but didn't see any.

Do you think anyone would use it? I know I would. I get bored easy. :roll:
[size=75][color=red]“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And If it stops moving, subsidize it.â€
VelcroChicken

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:45 pm

Its been brought up a couple times, most people didn't want to bother. At one point I set up a voice conference but nobody had any interest. The Bar thread in Open Discussion is what passes as our chatroom. I'm not much of a drinker so I usually don't post there. Now only if there was a coffeshop thread for the rest of us...
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby VelcroChicken » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:46 pm

I'm 19. I don't believe I'm allowed in there :<
[size=75][color=red]“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And If it stops moving, subsidize it.â€
VelcroChicken

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:52 pm

I don't ever remember checking ids there. And we can do a Shirley Temple or a Virgin PagoPago Octopus. Heli does a heck of a lot of Carrot Juice. And there's always coffee.

You should stop by.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:05 pm

How come every year there are a few that keep asking for a chat? :shock:

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:08 pm

Toolmaker answered the question. "The Bar" thread is our chatroom.

As is every other thread ever posted, after the first few replies degrade into driftland.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby ygmir » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:26 pm

yeah, I'd think a chat room, with it's instant communication, would degrade really rapidly into a shouting match.......I note the vitriol and acidic responses at times on other threads......imagine if it were live, with not opportunity to cool down or think of what you're saying........?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby VelcroChicken » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:31 pm

ygmir wrote:yeah, I'd think a chat room, with it's instant communication, would degrade really rapidly into a shouting match.......I note the vitriol and acidic responses at times on other threads......imagine if it were live, with not opportunity to cool down or think of what you're saying........?

This is true. We may not be mature enough for a chatroom.

Maybe when we're grown ups. Image
VelcroChicken

Postby gaminwench » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:26 pm

I'm not growing up...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Never, EVER totally grow up.

That being said I have so many chats at night anymore, what's one more?
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby gaminwench » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:48 pm

slumber party, anyone???
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:13 am

ygmir wrote:yeah, I'd think a chat room, with it's instant communication, would degrade really rapidly into a shouting match.......I note the vitriol and acidic responses at times on other threads......imagine if it were live, with not opportunity to cool down or think of what you're saying........?

I believe thats what the trout slap feature is for in IRC.

Chan Ops can handle anything really naughty with a temporary gag.

Non eplayans that just wanna stir up crap in the channel can get outright banned from the channel if its registered on most IRC networks.

The main thing is do-ocracy .. someone has to go set it up and at least have a script holding things down. Than people have to idle for hours until someone says something. Getting an IRC channel to be active can be helped by running a trivia bot or something to keep the idle not so idle.
Toolmaker

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:25 am

gaminwench wrote:slumber party, anyone???

mmmmmmmm slumber party..........oh yeah......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby VelcroChicken » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:56 am

I should've made this a poll to better gauge interest, if there were enough I could probably set up an IRC server for us.

If not, The Bar thread works fine. :roll:
VelcroChicken

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:13 am

WHAT??? I'm surprised that you have so little faith in eplayan's ability to maintain civil discourse if there were live chat. If you're worried about live chat, I'd be terrified at meeting in person!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Meet-n-Greet 2009 HERE I COME!!! :lol:

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:25 am

I'm in for the meet n greet, too......

see,
I think in person, people would be fine, snarky and all, but, fine.
I see the anonymity of the internet allowing less civility......and, live chat, IMHO, would potentially exaggerate it......
who knows, I'm all for trying, I'm just sayin'.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:36 am

ygmir wrote:I'm in for the meet n greet, too......

see,
I think in person, people would be fine, snarky and all, but, fine.
I see the anonymity of the internet allowing less civility......and, live chat, IMHO, would potentially exaggerate it......
who knows, I'm all for trying, I'm just sayin'.......

Hmmmm....you might be right. I tend to sometimes think the whole world sees things the way I do--or should! LOL (That might sound funny coming from me; but at least regarding posting on eplaya this is true.)

I assume that everyone is using the internet to augment their persona is some way or another and I take EVERYTHING said here with a grain of salt--maybe two. It's interesting that whenever I get a PM, or the relationship starts to get a bit more personal, usually it is the first thing that is acknowledged in a phrase something like "I'm really not as big of an ass in person."

But I guess there are some that take everything personally and are offended easily. Are they really burners???

I've seen some boards that have a shout box at the top of the forums. Not as involved as chat, but gives some live interactive functionality. Might be an alternative or a way to test the waters?

I'm just rambling; random thoughts on this topic. And BTW I'm really not such a big ass in person. :wink:

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:32 pm

I've only gotten into physical ass-kicking situations at Burning Man over things like attempted boat hijacking and disrespectful and assholish behavior aboard the boat. But other than having to be a Captain in a few shitty situations, everyone gets along great on the playa.
I think every single eplayan I've ever met has been super cool in person - and I've met a lot!

The Meet'n'Greet is almost entirely without snark. It's more everyone pouring everyone drinks, hugging, telling stories, laughing, and such nonsense. Or maybe that's actually sense.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Zulegoona » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:51 pm

The slow-motion chat space the Bar thread offers I think works well because it retains posts. Conversations can span days making it convenient for participants from any time zone around the world. Keeping a history of the chat that now goes back years shows the evolution of the relationships, and creates an environment that builds a feeling of community because we are a part of each others lives, celebrations, successes, defeats, challenges and occasionally deaths.

The immediate but ephemeral chat rooms without a recorded history enables a greater anonymity and that to me seems counter to community building.
Zulegoona

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:19 am

Toolmaker wrote:
The main thing is do-ocracy .. someone has to go set it up and at least have a script holding things down. Than people have to idle for hours until someone says something. Getting an IRC channel to be active can be helped by running a trivia bot or something to keep the idle not so idle.

Been there and done it a few times already.

we here are working on a flash chat. Maybe if there is more interest here on eplaya, we'll send the script if asked.......maybe.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Kinetik V » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:58 am

DVD Burner wrote:
we here are working on a flash chat. Maybe if there is more interest here on eplaya, we'll send the script if asked.......maybe.

"Maybe?" Seriously? You're kidding with that "maybe" comment, right? No, that was a DVD post, my bad, I should have known better. With that kind of attitude if I was the admin team I'd say thanks but no thanks. A gift with strings or attitude attached is no gift at all.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:14 am

Kinetic V wrote:"Maybe?" Seriously? You're kidding with that "maybe" comment, right? No, that was a DVD post, my bad, I should have known better. With that kind of attitude if I was the admin team I'd say thanks but no thanks. A gift with strings or attitude attached is no gift at all.

Yep!

I've never given anything to BM with strings attached nor have I ever been one to throw attitude.

But you have never hung with me unfortunately, you'd know that if you did.

And yep, that's right, Maybe.

In fact, maybe there is a string attached, if I were to come through AGAIN, would I be treated as an upstanding individual doing a favor for friends just for the sake of doing it?

Maybe. :?

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Toolmaker » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:37 pm

If its to be done we should just use an existing IRC network, possibly one with a proxy in place to protect those not so geeky from the anti-burners. I can't think of one with a proxy off the top of my head but I know there out there.

Maybe we should start by compiling a list of suitable Networks and than decide from there.
Toolmaker

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Toolmaker wrote:If its to be done we should just use an existing IRC network, possibly one with a proxy in place to protect those not so geeky from the anti-burners. I can't think of one with a proxy off the top of my head but I know there out there.

Maybe we should start by compiling a list of suitable Networks and than decide from there.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I have a list around somewhere but not sure I can deliver tonight. I have a show to do.
Maybe tomorrow or Monday.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:28 pm

theres nothing to keep people from downloading mIRC and creating their own channels. doesnt require eplaya or org resources, and thats a good thing.

wait... yep, just did it.

hold on.. ok, now its gone.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:52 pm

Hate to admit it but facebook has a pretty good chat thing going on.
And I'm not that much of a fan of chat.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Return to Feature Requests