Van camping in SF/BA?

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Van camping in SF/BA?

Postby ZenRascal » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:18 am

I'm looking for tips & advice from you SF/BA folks. I'm planning on relocating there but am not ready to find a room or apt yet. My playa home is a 72 Econoline van - nothing fancy, not an rv or conversion, just a place to sleep. I'd like to hang out in the sfbay area for maybe a month & am wondering about doing it on the cheap, living playa-style in the van. Possible?

I'd like to (1) avoid being hassled by cops, (2) be near restroom facilities, & (3) not get my throat cut by drug crazies. One idea I have is parks. Some have camping (for a fee), some close at night, etc. Another thing that could work is a big 24 hour truck stop. What about just parking on the street?

I have a couple friends I can stay with briefly but don't want to impose on anyone for too long. Also, with the van I could move it from one part of the area to another. I'd probably use BART & busses to get around on a daily basis.

So, any suggestions from you locals? Am I crazy & should just forget this idea? Waddaya think?
ZenRascal

Postby PurpleKoosh » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:33 am

While you're not in an RV, check out RV parks nonetheless; there are several on the Peninsula, and some of them have short-term rentals available.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003

Postby satireDUN » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:06 pm

i live in marin, and there are PLENTY of parks here, its WAY more safe, and is alot more mellow. not to mention, only 10-20 minutes from the city (depending on where you are) i would suggest somewhere in the marin headlands (rodeo beach has public bathrooms and a big parking lot, and is 10 mins from the city), MT tam, or somewhere in san rafael.
"you might want to sit down, this is going to feel unpleasantly like being drunk"
"whats so bad about being drunk?"
"ask a glass of water"
satireDUN

Postby satireDUN » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:14 pm

i live in marin, and there are PLENTY of parks here, its WAY more safe, and is alot more mellow. not to mention, only 10-20 minutes from the city (depending on where you are) i would suggest somewhere in the marin headlands (rodeo beach has public bathrooms and a big parking lot, and is 10 mins from the city), MT tam, or somewhere in san rafael.
"you might want to sit down, this is going to feel unpleasantly like being drunk"
"whats so bad about being drunk?"
"ask a glass of water"
satireDUN

Postby actiongrl » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:40 pm

It's illegal to sleep in your car in SF city limits, but there are a couple of places where people do get away with it. Unfortunately, those areas are a bit dodgy. I had planned to move into my RV this year, but I spent a night or two down in the neighborhood and I just didn't sleep well. Mind you, this is right by the Burning Man office, and I'm not uncomfortable there at night when I'm running errands or walking to the bus, but sleeping there was a bit eerie.

Marin's not a bad choice. There's an RV park that's just south of SF, but the name escapes me. I think Marin's not a bad choice, but I don't know how the cops are there about vehicular living.
actiongrl

Return to Regionals & Events