I volunteer to build art or mutant vehicle in Reno

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

I volunteer to build art or mutant vehicle in Reno

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:08 am

OK, no takers on my Jellyfish suggestion. Sometimes it is better to join an idea than start one. I'm excited about the 2004 outer space theme. What do you want to build in Reno? A satelite? A mars rover? Any art or mutant vehicle will do. I'm keen to help you with resources, local connections, creativity, design and hosting for your project website, and limited construction skills. As a virgin to BM, I just want to contribute and join in the fun of fleshing out your dream as we count down to its launch.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:33 pm

I may be out-of-line here, but I don't think you will get too many responses to your offer. Here's why I think that;

1) MMV's (makers of mutant vehicles) tend to be self-motivated. Otherwise they would be RMV's (riders of mutant vehicles). "outsourcing" a crucial part of your mutant vehicle could result in it not being completed. Waiting to hook-up with someone in Reno that is SUPPOSED to have the rest of your creation is risky.

2) Often there is not exactly a written down plan or design - they just evolve. Concurrent developement miles apart would be difficult, and cannot be verified prior to arrival at BRC (and likely cannot be fixed once there if it is wrong)

I would suggest that if you want to get involved in Mutant vehicles you do one of three things;

A) Volunteer to work at the DMV (department of Mutant Vehicles). This way you can see 1st hand what Mutant Vehicles are all about.

B) rather than work on a mutant vehicle, create a piece of art FOR mutant vehicles. IE- a whimsical "gas station" or "car wash" or "drive-up beverage or food stand" or a "parking lot" or a "radar speed trap" sign, or traffic signs that make no sense, or "XXX miles to Mars" or something like that.

C) once on the Playa, talk to Mutant Vehicle owners until you find one that you get along with, then volunteer to help crew their vehicle for a few hours.

see you in September! regards, Jafe
dragonfly Jafe

Insightful

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:15 pm

Thanks, Jafe. That was really insightful and got me thinking out of my box. As it turns out, I got a direct reply from a local burner who contributed a garden tractor and small trailer to the project. All he asks is that he get an occasional chance to drive our creation on the playa. Haggyman is really busy, so he has started me off with some sage advise and gave me full creative license. You are right about my personality type. I'm a builder/driver not a rider. We are getting ready to submit the project to the DMV and I will post a link to it if we get preliminary approval. Cheers!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Return to Regionals & Events