Attention art-car guys!

Attention art-car guys!

Postby Staube » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi there,

I am looking for an art-car owners willing to be shot (still photography) with their cars for the car magazine, printed and distributed in Europe.

If you're a designer, maker or owner of the 2008' Burning Man art-car, this is the message for you!

We're planning to publish a few photos of the art-cars with their makers with the short story along about your inspirations, ideas and future plans, so if you're interested please email me (hstaube@yahoo.com) with the following info:

1. Your name,
2. Your art-car name,
3. Your camp location (if you do not know your camp location, please let me know a keyword, so I can find you in the Info Camp),!!!!!
4. The best day and time to reach you at Burning man event,
4. Any other way to contact you.

P.S. I am the one of the photographers who has registered and been approved to shoot at Burning Man this year.

Thanks
Dmitry.
Staube

Postby capjbadger » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:00 pm

There are no arts cars at burning man anymore.
Only mutant vehicles.

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby JRoyale » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:16 pm

capjbadger wrote:There are no arts cars at burning man anymore.
Only mutant vehicles.

Badger

Actaully, all mutant vehicles are art cars but not all art cars are mutant vehicles. It's one of those Venn diagram sort of things.

JR
JRoyale

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:23 pm

Art Car Camp's address is Corvair & The Wheel.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Staube » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:28 pm

[quote="Bob"]Art Car Camp's address is Corvair & TheWheel.[/quote]

Thanks, is there any contact person? whom should I ask?
Staube

~ Over 2000 Volunteer HOTTIE hours yearly ~

Postby burningflyer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:55 pm

2008 DEPARTMENT OF MUTANT VEHICLES

On Playa Mutant Vehicle Approval: In service to the Burning Man community since 1997, your 2008 Department of Mutant Vehicle volunteer “Hottiesâ€
burningflyer

Postby Badger » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:18 pm

Aside from your cut-and-paste shtick, are you capable of answering a fucking question anywhere near to being concise?
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby zabsinth » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:21 pm

Badger wrote:Aside from your cut-and-paste shtick, are you capable of answering a fucking question anywhere near to being concise?

Is it a coincidence that there is only one borg dept. that uses the same abbreviation as its real-life counterpart?
zabsinth

Postby Tesla » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:52 pm

[quote="zabsinth"][quote="Badger"]Aside from your cut-and-paste shtick, are you capable of answering a fucking question anywhere near to being concise?[/quote]

Is it a coincidence that there is only one borg dept. that uses the same abbreviation as its real-life counterpart?[/quote]

Nope. No coincidence. As far as I have seen in the last many years I have gone to the playa, the DMV is the only dept. which has become more fascist year after year. It attracts those who feel powerless in the real world, and respond by savoring their yearly power to play Solomon. "Car A is worthy , and Car B is not, because I have decreed it so. We keep the requirements vague, so we can continue our ability to decide what the Average Burner sees as Wow.â€
Tesla

Postby Dork » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:05 pm

zabsinth wrote:Is it a coincidence that there is only one borg dept. that uses the same abbreviation as its real-life counterpart?

Yeah, unlike the DPW, rangers (a name which is used elsewhere) ESD, etc.

We have plenty of DMV-bashing threads already - do you guys really need to take over another one?
Dork

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:26 pm

Yea, I agree.... it's time to get over it and move on...... If it didn't work, come up with a new plan that will.......... It's not that difficult to make a faux MV cover that doesn't show the vehicle.... and it's not very expensive, but ya usually hafta put it together out there.....

I think it's better...... now if they will only take on the F*ing motorized scooters, like they used to............
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby hsdavis » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:35 pm

I may just be a little too late to photograph art cars this year, but the contact for some very cool playa art car photography is Harrod Blank, excentrix@aol.com. He has written several books on art cars and was in charge of art car camp this year. He also just finished a great movie on art cars--Automorphosis!
Contact him if you still need photos----he's the man!
hsdavis

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:52 pm

Tesla wrote: It attracts those who feel powerless in the real world, and respond by savoring their yearly power to play Solomon.
This applies to neither my experience of Koosh nor of my experience of Odwally.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BitterDan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Badger wrote:Aside from your cut-and-paste shtick, are you capable of answering a fucking question anywhere near to being concise?

<3 Badger
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:59 am

Not to take away from the Burningman community at all but art cars were not invented at Burningman. Most art cars never appeared at Burningman. If you are doing a 10 page paper on art cars than only half a page should be Burningman related.

BEST FOR LAST

This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Sail Man » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:55 pm

I saw a few 1-2 person art cars out on the playa this year. A neighbor had 2 such cars. Are these licensed in the same way as the larger art cars capable of carrying a boat load of people?
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby fciron » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:09 pm

Hey Sail Man,

All mutant vehicles go through the same application process. It is a balance of Mutation and community interaction. In theory a viewer should be unable to distinguish the base vehicle in the mutant. In practice the requirements are less strict for giant party barges because of the greater community participation.

There is a 'burning man art cars' group on tribe.net with pictures and explanations of cars that did and did not pass. I would post a link but tribe is being uncooperative. Reading the Mutant vehicle section of the BM website is quite informative as well.

Keep in mind that there are vehicles licensed for other uses as well, DPW and disability permits seem to be the most common. A lot of folks with a permit will decorate their vehicle to some degree even though they are not an official MV.
fciron

Return to 2008 Art & Performance