becoming a community member

becoming a community member

Postby moesgurlie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:49 pm

This was my 2nd year. The past two years I have enjoyed what everyone else has brought to the city. I am always in complete admiration of the art, the art cars, the creative minds and the time and effort envolved. Last year i found myself walking around and asking myself "who wouldnt think this is cool"? I was saying to myself the coolest thing is 47,000 people think the same thing is cool that i do. I am so glad i dont walk around this earth with blinders on. For all those who give BM a bad name, well all I can say is, it's their loss.
Year # 3 2009 that is, is going to be a little different. I want to become a real citizen of BRC. I thought about it this year as I saw so many people during the white-outs with no eye protection. I ran into a girl who had lost her contact lens, and another who lost her glasses, and a very nice guy who had his glasses stepped on. Thats when it hit me, of course I can have an Optical Camp. I have access to the best eyedrops aka ky for the eye. I can have spare prescription glasses, spare contact lens, and help out with foreign bodies in the eye. I can do adjustments, cleaning, and repairs. My doors will be open for just an eye flush if needed.
So what do you think? Do you think this is a camp our city could use? I would love to hear feedback.
moesgurlie

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:59 pm

Creating something to fulfill a perceived need seems like it would be a great way to expand yourself and meet lots of people and get to feel good about what you're doing. I say go for it!! Good luck!!
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:17 pm

bigbluedoggy wrote:Creating something to fulfill a perceived need seems like it would be a great way to expand yourself and meet lots of people and get to feel good about what you're doing. I say go for it!! Good luck!!

I think this is a great idea. You might also want to make sure you are known to the First Aid people too, as I'm guessing that they would probably refer people to your camp.

JK
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby couglite » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:24 pm

awesome! I was one of those who lost a contact out there somewhere (moop, moop!) and it would have been lovely to see with both eyes!!
couglite

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:18 pm

*wiping a dusty tear from his eye*

wow, she gets it. Thank you in advance.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby pinemom » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:57 am

SEEE...yes to see all that wonderful stuff is AWESOME>
And you see what kind of camp can provide such a particular need to fill.

Your definatley a burner when you can see a need!
go for it!!!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:01 pm

Great idea/gift/community participation/project/camp etc.

You may want to consider those "generic" scription lenses.. I'm sure you could get a bulk deal somewheres. Sportsmansguide.com and Cheaperthandirt.com might be good for mil spec googles cheap.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

optical camp

Postby moesgurlie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:23 pm

thanks for the idea...but i already have an in on getting all the script glasses, contacts, drops, ect. i have all my own tools, so i will be just about set. im also mking some cool gifting necklaces out of old lenses.
moesgurlie

Postby pinemom » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:05 am

cool FIRESTARTERS!!!!!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:32 am

pinemom wrote:cool FIRESTARTERS!!!!!

If only there was something to BURN!!
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:23 pm

moesgurlie:

cool idea! Concerning contact lenses, though, I'm sure someone is gonna mention stuff about legal regulation of optometrists, need for license and malpractice insurance. Of course, I'm one of those who resent a lot of the default-world bureaucratic encroachments on Playa life and hope you are not deterred in implementing a very useful and innovative addition the Burn.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Re: becoming a community member

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:12 pm

moesgurlie wrote:This was my 2nd year. The past two years I have enjoyed what everyone else has brought to the city. I am always in complete admiration of the art, the art cars, the creative minds and the time and effort envolved. Last year i found myself walking around and asking myself "who wouldnt think this is cool"? I was saying to myself the coolest thing is 47,000 people think the same thing is cool that i do. I am so glad i dont walk around this earth with blinders on. For all those who give BM a bad name, well all I can say is, it's their loss.
Year # 3 2009 that is, is going to be a little different. I want to become a real citizen of BRC. I thought about it this year as I saw so many people during the white-outs with no eye protection. I ran into a girl who had lost her contact lens, and another who lost her glasses, and a very nice guy who had his glasses stepped on. Thats when it hit me, of course I can have an Optical Camp. I have access to the best eyedrops aka ky for the eye. I can have spare prescription glasses, spare contact lens, and help out with foreign bodies in the eye. I can do adjustments, cleaning, and repairs. My doors will be open for just an eye flush if needed.
So what do you think? Do you think this is a camp our city could use? I would love to hear feedback.

What a great idea. I think that you're spot on in your approach to your third year and I'm already sure you'll make a big difference to people. I love it.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

teo,teo,teo

Postby moesgurlie » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:42 am

shhhhhh!!!! teo !!!!!!!! they will hear you............dont set the dogs on me already. no seriously i totally understand what you are saying. I have been dispensing for 30 years. i know about licensing and yes each state is different. Im going to trust my own judgement lets just say, as far as myself goes and my fellow burners. contact laws are a little stiffer, so hummmm discreat and selective, or possibly i may just have a spare pair i could say loan to a real emergency case. spare glasses, ky for the eye, repairs, adjustments, you all come right on in through the front door, you CL wearers, well slip on in the back, will ya? I'll see you on the playa.......you just come see me if you are having trouble seeing the playa.
moesgurlie

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:14 am

ted's a lawyer...can't you tell?

not that there's anything WRONG with it....
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:02 am

Dearest Moesgurlie:

Wowie-Kazow! Just when I was starting to feel a slight disconnect from our community, you come along and bridge the gap! By being inspired, you have become inspiring.

In the past, I've taken the lenses out of my old 'scripts and glued them into cheap goggles and hung them around so I've always got a spare set handy. A while back I treated my self to an expensive set of goggles with snap-in prescription lenses, but it seems I always misplace them.

I can picture you working away at your bench, with a mysterious steam-punk look:

Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Box Burner » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:06 am

Wayyy cool! Go for it. As mentioned before, You are inspiring. What a wonderful gift to the community. Thank you!
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby MozyBonz » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:11 am

Great idea
I would only suggest that you build a cart of some kind and go to the masses. Like hanging out near ice camps or center camp.
You are more likely to get a better response and help more people that way.
MozyBonz

Postby Box Burner » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:05 am

OOOooooooh...I like it. You could hang out near ice camp in the morning before it gets real hot and then have the afternoon and evenings to play. Peeps will know where to find you and where to send their freinds. Anything that requires more than a simple replacement can be referred back to your camp where the needed tools are available when you get there.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:40 am

Who did those?
gyre

mozy drawing

Postby moesgurlie » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:41 pm

nice drawing mozy---except who is the dude????? i am far from a dude guy............i am totally female. meowwwwwwwww, hiss, hiss, lick lick
moesgurlie

Re: mozy drawing

Postby wedeliver » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:55 pm

moesgurlie wrote:nice drawing mozy---except who is the dude????? i am far from a dude guy............i am totally female. meowwwwwwwww, hiss, hiss, lick lick

I have two male pussy's. One's name is Gizmo and the other is Beaty. They go meowwwwwwwww hiss, hiss, lick, lick also.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

mozy

Postby moesgurlie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:28 am

i am just going to have to make it a point to to meet up with you next year
you seem quite the interesting person. my crystal ball says you are multi-talented, charismatic, and your wheels are always spinning. i bet we could sit and talk, and share some interesting tales. geez mozy, you've got my crystal ball bouncing all over the table. hummm whats up with that? now thats some high energy going on.
moesgurlie

Postby gyre » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:15 am

I've seen body mod done with tan lines.
Maybe lenses could make some interesting patterns.
gyre

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:01 am

Interactive branding?
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby wedeliver » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:12 am

Tribe Tattoo's not really very active at this time

http://tribes.tribe.net/burningmansymbo ... e255059%5D
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Re: mozy

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:42 am

moesgurlie wrote:i am just going to have to make it a point to to meet up with you next year
you seem quite the interesting person. my crystal ball says you are multi-talented, charismatic, and your wheels are always spinning. i bet we could sit and talk, and share some interesting tales. geez mozy, you've got my crystal ball bouncing all over the table. hummm whats up with that? now thats some high energy going on.

That would be great I love meeting people.
MozyBonz

Re: mozy

Postby Dusza Beben » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:46 pm

moesgurlie wrote:i am just going to have to make it a point to to meet up with you next year

Mozy has that effect on women's balls. :wink:
That and he is an awesome dude to boot!
Your camp idea is quite splendid.
I picture a tinker's wagon sort of set up.
Can you sharpen knives and mend pots as well? :D

DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.
Dusza Beben

Postby gaminwench » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:45 pm

Great idea, girlie....9 years on the playa, and EVERY year I either break or lose at least one pair of glasses - I do bring a spare pair for the drive home - but on-playa repair would have saved my ass(eyes) several times...go for it!!!
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

DUSZA good one

Postby moesgurlie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:17 pm

r u testing me??? what kind of burner would i be if i couldnt even sharpen a knife? thats right up there with tying a knot, and turning on a flashlight.
good one though.
as far as mending a pot .......wht not......i learned to run a pretty nice bead.
switched around---oh yea----sometimes i feel like i need lots of mending with the crazy mind altering smoke we have. isnt it fun shoping in the neighborhood pot shop. variety pack please!!!!!!!!

if i cant figure it out myself and half to have someone else do it...you can bet i'm watching every move and asking every question i can think of.
You too? you like that?

flavor of the night: oh yes!!!!!!!!! purple crush!!!!!!!!
moesgurlie

Postby gyre » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:57 pm

WHAT do you see now?
Globes of red, yellow, purple.
Just a moment! And now?
My father and mother and sisters.
Yes! And now?
Knights at arms, beautiful women, kind faces.
Try this.
A field of grain—a city.
Very good! And now?
A young woman with angels bending over her.
A heavier lens! And now?
Many women with bright eyes and open lips.
Try this.
Just a goblet on a table.
Oh I see! Try this lens!
Just an open space—I see nothing in particular.
Well, now!
Pine trees, a lake, a summer sky.
That’s better. And now?
A book.
Read a page for me.
I can’t. My eyes are carried beyond the page.
Try this lens.
Depths of air.
Excellent! And now?
Light, just light, making everything below it a toy world.
Very well, we’ll make the glasses accordingly.
gyre

Next

Return to 2009 Theme Camps