"Sweetness!" mutant vehicle, Converted VW bug

"Sweetness!" mutant vehicle, Converted VW bug

Postby MikeVDS » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:57 pm

I'm actually not too aware of the specifics with the art for the car but I'm in charge of getting the vehicle part going. Years ago I started working on a Manx style buggy and I figure I'll finish that up for the vehicle.

It's basically a VW bug with a chopped pan and fiberglass body. My project was actually the "Beer buggy" because I was collecting parts for free or trading for beer. I have some miscellaneous parts and the body (which I'll use most of the year but will be replaced for burningman). I stil need a lot so if anyone in Southern California has a junked VW sitting in their yard or wants to trade some parts for beer, let me know.

As for the art, it sounds like it's going to look like a pile of candy and snacks with a pirate/Victorian twist. The buggy will also be towing a trailer with the same theme, and sweets will be given out to those near by.

Any advice, ideas, parts or beers are welcome.
MikeVDS

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:17 pm

You might want to check these..

http://www.vdubjunkie.com/
http://www.blimpvw.com/
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby hsdavis » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:41 am

There is a some sort of new standard of mutant vehicle to the playa. From what I have seen, they are trying to see that vehicles are radically changed from their original appearance, and not just modified enough to get a permit. It's rather complex, but here is a thread that is related. It may be worth reading before spending a lot of time on modifying and transporting a vehicle to the playa, only to have it rejected. viewtopic.php?t=25145
hsdavis

Postby MikeVDS » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:25 am

Thanks, I saw that. I plan on no-one being able to tell what it was. I'm not just gluing junk to the buggy body, I'm making a whole new candy-ship body. I agree with the mutated standards in most cases.

I'm guessing the Dr Pyro tieland is going to be a rare case. They probably rejected many vehicles over the years which were just covered with something and were trying to make a fair decision with his as well. I don't think they made the right decision but given that he had many warnings, I don't think it was absolutely outrageous.
MikeVDS

Postby pinemom » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:46 am

Make sure ya install the extra cooling fan...as well as bring the extra filters!
Yup Their designed for the desert, but they heat up real good at only 5mph!

And just because they piss me off RoYAL...refuse to use CB Performance.

My father worked for them for 34 yrs... the father...the son's...then the
BullShit "grandsons"...
They stole his machine modifications, gave him nothing, but BS, claimed he was wasting time(he was trying to train the wet behind the ears,tweeker,Fuckwads they hired for HIS machine shop).
He started there when they were only a itsybitsy 3 wing VW repair shop, Claudes Buggies, Exeter, California.
Now their a GLOBAL Distribution wearhouse.Using my dad's designed machine to bore out their HIGH $ Cams.

Claude was an asshole too...but he was a "Fair asshole", and Im sure is turning in his grave watching these desendants.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby vwthingrcer1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:16 pm

i dont think that you will need extra cooling fans i could run my 1914 race motor in nevada during mid day and it ran real fine doing a 100 plus on the freeway. just make sure get fresh oil before going out there. and all your cooling tins is in place
may the peace and man live your soul for eternity
vwthingrcer1

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:41 pm

these hitlers run in the desert in WW11 didn't they?
unjonharley

Postby Boijoy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 pm

it's the going slow that heats them up.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby pinemom » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:44 pm

pinemom wrote:Make sure ya install the extra cooling fan...as well as bring the extra filters!

pinemom

Postby vwthingrcer1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:53 pm

ya that true there is a good cooling system made by ake raby i saw a while back a little expensive but i heard it is worth every penny
may the peace and man live your soul for eternity
vwthingrcer1

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:28 pm

pinemom wrote:
pinemom wrote:Make sure ya install the extra cooling fan...as well as bring the extra filters!

I agree.. Whenever I went cruising in my first trike (vw powered) really slow it tended to get heated. Aside from heat issues in high heat and slow driving (parades) they are GREAT engines.

So Mike are ya keep it a 4 wheeler or are you getting rid of a wheel to save space and weight ;)

Let me know if ya need any help that can be provided from afar.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Was I in a coma??

Postby Cassidy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:40 pm

unjonharley wrote:these hitlers run in the desert in WW11 didn't they?

WW11??? Shit! What happened while I was a Burning Man??

Mike - good luck un-bugging your bug. :) Beer for parts sounds good and I also think handing out candy is nice.
Cassidy

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:50 pm

Boijoy wrote:it's the going slow that heats them up.

yep... air cooled engine, right?

The VW air cooleds are very similar to a Harley engine, just horizontal. I toasted the front cylinder on my bike once going veeery slow in traffic. Keep the air moving over it somehow and it'll help.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby pinemom » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:17 am

Hince the suggestion of additional air cooling fans....
I grew up with Bugs..entire male family on dad's side all VW/Porsche repair and builders....

I think you could get away with just an after market type cooling fan for your cooling fan.Might even want to go with the water cooled and a Fan?

The dudes that do the Hot August nights install them on their oldies but goodies, because the cruising even at 10-15 mph Over heat the big engines.
pinemom

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:21 am

So with the worry about air cooled engines.. What do you think will happen to my 11hp lawn mower engine on the playa?
unjonharley

Postby MikeVDS » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:10 am

I would think the lawn mower engine would be fine since it's designed to work under those conditions. Extra fans are always a good idea though.
MikeVDS

please don't beat me...

Postby Cassidy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:40 pm

unjonharley wrote:What do you think will happen to my 11hp lawn mower engine on the playa?

so, ahhhmmm...

................................is that a two horsepower engine???

i'm so sorry. I just HAD to!!!!!!!!!!
I promise to stop being a PITA now...
Cassidy

Postby MikeVDS » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm guessing it's one of those sit down lawn mowers, not just the push mowers, which would explain the high HP.
MikeVDS

Postby MikeVDS » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:32 pm

Oops. N/m. I just realized the joke. I forgot about that tangent this thread went out on. ;)
MikeVDS

Return to 2009 Art & Performance