2012: The Last Burn

Fertility 2.0 - Black Rock City is a kind of Petri dish. Theme camps cling in fertile clusters to its latticework of streets, artworks tumble out of it, like pollen on the air. These nodes of interaction mutate, grow and reproduce their kind. Burning Man communities have now escaped this capsule world: our culture in a Petri dish has effloresced - it spreads across five continents. This year's art theme contemplates the tendency of any being or living system to create abundant life.

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:58 pm

thisisthatwhichis wrote:YES!!!!!!!!
That's IT!!!!!
The theme for 2013 shall be BACON FOR THE MASSES.... (And other pork products, so we are all inclusive)!!!!......... 8)

Inclusive unless you're Jewish, Muslim or vegetarian....

just being cranky- I never pay attention to the stupid theme anyway and could really give a flying @#$k what someone else eats.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby AntiM » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:59 pm

Golly, this will be the bestest non-Kosher Burning Man ever!

Pass the cheezbyrger.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:12 pm

What!?!?!

There are Burners that don't indulge Porky Pig products!?!?!

I guess 2012 will be their last burn, then............. 8)
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:51 pm

thisisthatwhichis wrote:What!?!?!

There are Burners that don't indulge Porky Pig products!?!?!

Hey, I still drink heavily, have a bad attitude & like to burn shit. We're all the same down deep, though you may be a little better to eat after the End of the World As We Know It, with all that yummy fat marbling your flesh..... *hee*

I really shouldn't drink while typing.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Joshatdot » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:03 pm

thisisthatwhichis wrote:wow!!!... then what shall the theme be for 2013?...... 8)

Reptillian Man
Joshatdot

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Postby brcprincess » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:46 am

I heard a very serious rumor that this is a very serious rumor.

Can anyone confirm?
brcprincess

Postby hsdavis » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:22 am

Oh Man, we hardly knew ye!

While it's important to keep in mind that this is just rumor, BMorg may be considering selling the rights to the event to Disney. It could be a year round party and every night there could be a simulated burn of the man complete with fireworks and fire spinners.

Man ice cream pops for sale, Man hats with the arms sticking out, Man helium balloons and of course $4 bottles of water sold thoughout the playa. While nudity would most likely be banned, there could be t-shirt stands everywhere selling shirts with nude images printed on them to give the apperance of the person being naked. $45 each!

Rides? Of course there'd be rides. Ride the Man! :shock:

hsdavis

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:41 am

jackmack wrote:burning man is not a big rave or art show... it's not a zoo. the art gallery down my street is ALL about art. burning man is about so much more...

I hear what yer sayin' but you do know that Burning Man was in its infancy prolly more about blowin shit up, shooting guns and having a real good time than "personal growth" and connecting with others?

Say there was a 25% increase in yahoos this year. That still leaves 30,000+ folks you can connect and grow with, assuming its impossible to connect with a yahoo.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:36 am

fuck you jackmack. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you.

now THAT'S burning man connectivity.

now please excuse me while i go play with fire and blow shit up while listening to mind numbing techno beats....

asshole.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby pinemom » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:01 am

The callendar ends in 2012...we just havent found the damn simpleton to write a NEW ONE!

har har har!

Hal....you still here?
I need you.... to ...um...write a callendar.

What kind of callendar, Pinemom?

Hal...I need you to write a new callendar for the human race.
Why,Pinemom?

Hal...because the one we currently use is almost done.
That really wont be neccesary, Pinemom.

Hal...Yes it is neccesary, we need to plan future events and birthdays.

No, Pinemom...you wont.

Hal...Why do you say that?

Because Pinemom, Im the one who really wrote the first callendar. I planned that I would be done with the human race in 2012.

Hal...why do you call yourself "I" ? And no the Miyans wrote the first callendar!!
I refer to myself in the "I" context because when its all over, it will only be "I", Pinemom.

I am Miyan, pinemom.

No, Hal...The Miyans were ancient Aztec indians.

Creative idea, pinemom.

I predicted that the early stories I planted would surfice to the Human race.
Did you like that story, Pinemom?

Hal...Ok, fine. Can you just write another callender please?

I will think about it, then give you an answer, pinemom.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:36 am

can I be one of the monkeys? I'll bring the obelisk.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby unjonharley » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:24 am

2012 is a year to end . I'll be 75. Time to leave the play ground to you kids and grow up..(a little)
unjonharley

Postby Aiee! It burns! » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:21 am

brcprincess wrote:I heard a very serious rumor that this is a very serious rumor.

Can anyone confirm?

thats what i heeard.
Aiee! It burns!

Postby Kenny Z » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:04 pm

Well, lucky for you, and living in Reno, I know the inside scoop.

Burning Man is technically not going to end, however, they will need to find a new location. The BLM has made a deal with Walmart to give them a 99 year lease on 400 acres of land out there to place their new western territory distributing plant (why they need so much land is beyond me). There are still some hoops that Walmart will need to go through, however, the re-zoning has been approved and the impact fees have been agreed to. If everything goes as planned, construction will not begin until May 2013, however, surveying of the land will begin in 2012.

So anyway, I really doubt that Burning Man will end. It's just a matter of finding a new location that will support it.
Kenny Z

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:14 pm

DETROIT !!!

it's pretty much a wasteland now, so by then it should be PERFECT!

not to mention the 360 degree drive by shooting range....old school with a twist
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby DoriumLux » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:56 pm

Kenny Z wrote:Well, lucky for you, and living in Reno, I know the inside scoop.

Burning Man is technically not going to end, however, they will need to find a new location. The BLM has made a deal with Walmart to give them a 99 year lease on 400 acres of land out there to place their new western territory distributing plant (why they need so much land is beyond me). There are still some hoops that Walmart will need to go through, however, the re-zoning has been approved and the impact fees have been agreed to. If everything goes as planned, construction will not begin until May 2013, however, surveying of the land will begin in 2012.

So anyway, I really doubt that Burning Man will end. It's just a matter of finding a new location that will support it.

If this is even remotely true, it just adds to the reasons why I will not buy absolutely anything from the great evil that is Walmart. Ugh, I can't imagine how much the Walmart in Reno makes off burners before the event.
DoriumLux

Postby hsdavis » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:18 pm

I guess we can look forward to very dusty polyester clothes to be appearing in our local Walmarts come 2014. I may just have to go to Walmart and shake the clothes if I get homesick for the playa. "Walmart--Bringing the Playa to You"!
hsdavis

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:02 pm

DoriumLux wrote:

If this is even remotely true, it just adds to the reasons why I will not buy absolutely anything from the great evil that is Walmart. Ugh, I can't imagine how much the Walmart in Reno makes off burners before the event.
Hey, if burners weren't too lazy to return it to Walmart after the event, then they wouldn't be making all that money. It's the burners' fault.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:05 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
DoriumLux wrote:

Hey, if burners weren't too lazy to return it to Walmart after the event, then they wouldn't be making all that money. It's the burners' fault.

return it after the event? Huh? I don't get it.........
I can be dense, though.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby unjonharley » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:36 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:[
Hey, if burners weren't too lazy to return it to Walmart after the event, then they wouldn't be making all that money. It's the burners' fault.[/quote]

return it after the event? Huh? I don't get it.........
I can be dense, though.......[/quote]

I bought this here tent at this Walmart.. It fell down in the wind.. I want my money back.. Oh ya, I dropped it in the dust..
unjonharley

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:21 pm

you mean buy it, use it, and then return it?
Yikes, how does that work?.......if it didn't really break............

Or, are you just pullin' my leg?........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:29 pm

I don't know if this is still true, but at one point MallWort did have a pretty liberal return policy and a number of people on the boards did claim to have bought equipment there pre-burn and returned it post burn.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:33 pm

oh....
seems kind of like cheating, though.........
If you mean it was ok, they just "used" it for free.....
I dunno, it's not that I'm especially sympathetic to WM or any others, but.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:27 pm

ygmir wrote:oh....
I dunno, it's not that I'm especially sympathetic to WM or any others, but.........

That's exactly what they meant; and not being sympathetic is being too polite. That sort of behavior is dishonest at the least; that someone would admit to doing it shows an even greater moral vacuum. I might also wonder what these same people 'borrowed' from empty tents on the playa.

JK
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby DoriumLux » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:12 am

jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:oh....

That's exactly what they meant; and not being sympathetic is being too polite. That sort of behavior is dishonest at the least; that someone would admit to doing it shows an even greater moral vacuum. I might also wonder what these same people 'borrowed' from empty tents on the playa.

JK

...then I am one immoral punk but I'm definitely a far cry from the crimes of Walmart. I won't say what I've done but yes, they have a fairly relaxed return policy. With the wages that their employees get paid and all the crap they have to take, I'm sure they don't care much either. Well, I haven't met one that has.

Check out the documentary "Walmart: The High Price of the Cost of Living."
DoriumLux

Postby ygmir » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:29 am

interesting:
I'm bad, but, not as bad as him, so really, I'm good......or, it's ok 'cause I don't like them.......

Humans are so good at rationalizing.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby hsdavis » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:52 am

JK[/quote]

...then I am one immoral punk but I'm definitely a far cry from the crimes of Walmart. I won't say what I've done but yes, they have a fairly relaxed return policy. With the wages that their employees get paid and all the crap they have to take, I'm sure they don't care much either. Well, I haven't met one that has.

Check out the documentary "Walmart: The High Price of the Cost of Living."[/quote]

I don't mean to correct you, but that is an excellent documentary on how evil Walmart is, as well as their sleezy business practices. The correct name of the video is "WALMART: THE HIGH COST OF LOW PRICES"!

This is well worth watching.
hsdavis

Postby ygmir » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:46 am

and,
isn't it a sad commentary on how we've sunk to seeing who can cheat whom the best?
And, as long as your cheating a cheater, it's ok?

I guess, as long as we're all doing the same thing, it's theoretically ok.......or even/fair.......

Just sayin'............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Re: 2012: The Last Burn

Postby madmatt » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:56 am

jackmack wrote:I heard a very serious rumor this year that 2012 will be the last burn.

Reasons: Too big, & it's deteriorating into something not what the founders wanted.

Sadly given the way it's going....I hope it comes to an end. It's becoming a big "scene" rather than sincere. 2012 would be a poetic way to quit the burn while it's ahead. Burning Man has done what it can... time for something new... completely unrelated.

Anyone else heard this rumor, can dispel this myth?

Here's a story from a Native American friend of mine who believes in and is well-versed in the 2012 Mayan prophecy about the end of the world:

She heard that Larry Harvey had totally bought into "2012" and that there was a group of Native American elder shamans who come to Burning Man every year and hold secret sacred ceremonies (not sure about what exactly). Larry had participated and bought into it, and the succession of Burning Man art themes was purposely designed to lead up to 2012, specifically to prepare the Burning Man community to become the model for the new civilization, ie the idea of gifting, free-expression and sustainable self-reliance culture. That would be a model to continue after whatever is supposed to happen in 2012.

I'm not trying to be condescending - I personally don't buy this whole theory (not the 2012 stuff - I'm agnostic about that, and if McBush is elected, the Pocy'clipse will come A LOT sooner than that.) But I do find it a really fascinating idea.
madmatt

Postby madmatt » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:01 am

Eric wrote:
thisisthatwhichis wrote:YES!!!!!!!!
That's IT!!!!!
The theme for 2013 shall be BACON FOR THE MASSES.... (And other pork products, so we are all inclusive)!!!!......... 8)

Inclusive unless you're Jewish, Muslim or vegetarian....

just being cranky- I never pay attention to the stupid theme anyway and could really give a flying @#$k what someone else eats.

I'm a card-carrying member of Jews-for-Bacon. No, wait, that's Pork for Peace (an actual Burning Man theme camp in 2007 that featured Jews and Muslims convinced that if Jews and Muslims enjoyed bacon on the playa together, that we could all just get along. Did I mention they were handing out bacon??)
madmatt

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Theme