pros and cons of NOT registering your camp

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

pros and cons of NOT registering your camp

Postby alienfry » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:26 pm

so i'm tossing the idea around of doing our camp in the outter streets of BRC. reason being, we can work together with friends from other camps without worrying about placement issues.

i'm sure there's many other advantages than just more control over your placement.

and i'm sure there's may disadvantages also.

what have your experiences been?
awesome oppossum
alienfry

Postby stuart » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:53 pm

doing a registered camp lets you know where yer gonna be before you get there. It also gets you real estate, for better or worse, in the more throbbing parts of the city. doing a village ensures that you get to camp with all yer folks. So, it's really about the real estate. If you don't care about the location or the co-location aspects don't bother.
stuart

Postby III » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:00 pm

advantages:
- you know where you're going to camp.
- you get to be all big headed about your location
- you get to kick other people out if they infringe on your space.

disadvantages:
- you've gotta do a full on sales job dog & pony show to get yer space.
- even then, you'll probably get less space than you really want.
- can't go telling people how cool you are because of the reserved spot you've got.
III

Postby Karma » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:05 am

I camp on the outskirts of the city every year. Would'nt want it any other way. When you get there, you look around till you find a spot that Feels right then take the space you need.
Wether you camp on the outskirts or in the registered camps area you're STILL only 2 minutes from Everything.
Late at night (or whenever) when you're finally ready to get some sleep, it's quieter.
And last but not least, You usually wind up camped around a more even mix of first timers and returning Burners which I think makes it more fun instead of being surrounded by a group of people who are constantly telling you how they've been coming to BRC since the turn of the century and as such, have every right to crank their sound systems to full 24/7.
(the above is obviously NOT an indictment of every registered theme camp)

Just my two tent stakes.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

Postby shitmouse » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:00 pm

advantages of not being in a registered camp:

pro: -let the dice roll. a good camp is well planted anywere. and a nice surprise for the burbs.

con: if you can't get there early-on to get space, then you camp farther out. -(which can be a good way to wake the outter rim).

either way, i'd like to see splatters of "theme camps" throughout the city. not just up front. it would make things crazier for those trying to run away! mwhaaaa......
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby technopatra » Wed May 26, 2004 11:15 am

Ahhh...I understand folks desire to not be registered. The form is long and it asks for a lot of details you may not have already figured out. You may want to amke sure you are on a particular side of the city, or you want to make sure you are near your friend's camps.

But the decision to register should be as simple as this:

if you don't register, and you plop your camp in a an area that you didn't know was inappropriate (e.g. an adult camp near Kidsville, or a sound camp in the middle of the city); or infringe on someone else's reserved space, then you will have to move. And nobody, but nobody, wants to have to set up their camp twice.

Themecamp placement is a big endeavor and a very dedicated crew spend a lot of time trying to fiugre out where folks can go. It's like combining the seating chart for a royal wedding with a two-dimensional version of Jenga, except that you don't know the guest list unless people rsvp.

So please, folks, rsvp. Go fill out your themecamp questionnaire. We reconstructed it this year so that you can sign in with your eplaya username & password, can fill out as much of it as you know, then come back and finish it later.
technopatra

Postby stuart » Wed May 26, 2004 12:53 pm

come back and finish it later

didn't work for me. Thank god I had the foresight to copy and paste two mondo questions into wordpad.
stuart

Postby shitmouse » Thu May 27, 2004 10:43 am

one last note:

being the creatures of habit that we are, we have always camped in the same general place throughout the years.

the last few years had an unexpected surprise. we found that many of our neighbors also did the same thing, so by default, we hooked up with friends that we had lost contact with. -(you know, the scrappy email written on a torn glove box paper that gets lost minutes after you get it).

pretty wild when you and your playa friends accidentally camp within the same block, within the same ajoining camps.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

neighbors

Postby Desi Arnaz » Thu May 27, 2004 11:11 am

that happens to us pretty regularly now too! We camp around the same spot each year, keep seeing a lot of the same people. Kinda cool.
Desi Arnaz

Postby Bob » Sun May 30, 2004 9:01 pm

This whole thread is rife with pukish class distinctions. Pros, and cons. Registering officially, or not. Joining, and being a joiner, or not.

My advice: take your own space, and spread the word.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby technopatra » Mon May 31, 2004 10:27 am

stuart wrote:
come back and finish it later

didn't work for me. Thank god I had the foresight to copy and paste two mondo questions into wordpad.

Did you contact the help email? I answer those requests and we've ben able to sort almost everyone out.

If you still need a hand, email me and I'll check it out.
technopatra

Postby stuart » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:25 am

thanks for the offer. We are far to anal to have waited this long to submit the application. You guys have more important things to do than deal with my scrubbed form.
stuart

Postby stuart » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:28 am

My advice: take your own space

no thanks. My experiences of trusting my fellow man to play by rules of common consideration in a relatively unregulated environment usually go poorly.
stuart

Return to Politics & Philosophy