Playa aliments and their cures! PLEASE SHARE!

Playa aliments and their cures! PLEASE SHARE!

Postby Playaface » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:15 pm

So its been my 10th year and there still seems to be alot of people that have trouble taking care of themselves on the playa. So I figured having a thread of playa related ailments would be nice.

So who has the cure????

Playa foot
Playa lung
Playa ear
Playa Cuni and so on!

As far as Im concerned I know vinegar for the feet + lotion is wonderful.
Playa Lung, Well, You need to wear a mask during the event of course.
Playa ear im still stuck on what helps that besides time.
Cuni, well, I dont have a cuni so thats up to the cuni baring citizens.

Just remember, drink water before you get thirsty. I saw alot of vets getting dehydrated and not eating. Shame! :oops:
My sights based on movement, Hippies beware!
Playaface

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:17 pm

I have a great one for playa foot!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dork » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Playa foot - wear socks at all times except to wash and lotion them once every day or two. After you get home go barefoot and apply lotion regularly, they'll get better. Use some sort of disinfectant on any deep cracks and maybe cover those with a bandage.

Playa lung - bring a COMFORTABLE, CONVENIENT dust filter of some sort. I use the sleeve off an old t-shirt. Very comfortable and colorful. Wet it down for double-duty as a coolant and dust filter. Bandanas work as well. The big fancy ones are cool if you're going to be doing serious work out there, but for most people how often are you really going to lug that thing around? Better to have 50% protection that you'll use in even the slightest amount of dust than 90% protection that won't be used much at all.

My only problems this year after 3 weeks were sandpaper hands and lips. Both healed naturally over the next 4 days or so after I got home.
Dork

Postby gaminwench » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Playa Lung - drink 3 cups of licorice tea every day 'til it clears up.....
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby ibdave » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:46 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I have a great one for playa foot!

*slap my forehead with wonderment in fishy* 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:48 pm

ibdave wrote:

*slap my forehead with wonderment in fishy* 8) 8) 8)
Hey, I don't get playa foot.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:37 pm

I find that healthy doses of margaritas can help cure that awful playa malady known as Playa Sobriety!
Thank modern medical science that there's a cure!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby BitterDan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:21 pm

Oh that's funny. :D

I do the alcohol hand sanitizer and then wet naps and then lotion every night and I've never had playa foot. I use the same method on my hands but I do it more often as I am a nail-biter and my cuticles get all sorts of fucked up on the playa.

Moleskins are great for blisters which I encounter more often than playa foot. I bring a big ass roll of the stuff.

A wetnap booger-pick a couple of times a day takes care of the dried out nostrils. Some people say to put vaseline on the inside of your nose but I think that would just catch more dust.

Use a respirator. I made the mistake of not wearing my respirator and I could hardly talk by Wednesday. Next year I will be sure to keep it more handy.

Bring throat spray and throat lozenges. Someone in your camp will need them.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby RedheadBarbie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:28 am

Any external nether region irritation can be soothed with baby butt rash cream, Desitin or A&D. It's also VERY helpful for sunburn (on any part of the body), far moreso than aloe. This advice came straight from a doc.

Sensitive women can just pre-emptively use small amounts of the normal 'muffin' cream for internal problems. Don't use too many baby wipes and make sure you use them before you go in case you are allergic. I cheaped out on generic and couldn't use them a lot, too perfume-y, and they shredded when you tried to use them to bathe all over.
RedheadBarbie

Postby Marscrumbs » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:28 am

I take all the quarts of half and half I bring and not use, which have turned sour, and treat my skin to a milky latic acid bath. If feels heavenly!
Marscrumbs

Postby AntiM » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:04 am

MyLArry swears by Bag Balm for his hands, cuts and scrapes.

I use aloe vera on sunburns.

Gold Bond Foot Cream for my ever-dry heels (even here at home).

A dash of cornstarch baby powder for tender sweaty places.

Unscented baby wipes, can also be used with melted ice water and a dash of vinegar for bathing. I like the smell of pickles. And for lady bits, clean water with a hint of vinegar in a garden mister/sprayer. You may need a friend for this. Pat dry.

Small clean hand towels are extraordinarily useful, we have a lot from Japan, but they're getting old and scruffy. These are the long skinny type, not found in the US.

What did not work: Oil of Olay face wipes. Stung my skin. I can use them at home, but not on the playa.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby regynalonglank » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:56 am

ok, this is the best. prevent playa foot...take the cooler water out of your cooler and put it in a big bucket or tub. add some vinegar to it. take off your socks and shoes, and put your feet in there. beware of brain freeze! best done in heat of day...repeat as needed, usually at least once a day. if you can get someone to mist you and bring you cut up fruit while you're doing it then you is living large :) fun to share.

dry nasals - there is this stuff called Ayr and it is an aloe and saline gel. you put it up your nose. I know, it sounds gross, but it is the best ever. ever ever. try it...you will like it. nasal rinses are good, but this is better.

feel like you got baby wipe and sunscreen all over your face, and need to start over? use a mister or spray bottle to wet your face down good (very nice first thing in the morning), and wipe it with a towel. good stuff.

now here is a question for you: by the end of the event, last day or so, a weird thing happens around my eyes. there is this area that is inside the goggles, under and around my eyes. it gets all wet and sweaty and soft, all the sunscreen goes away I guess, and then it gets exposed to the air and wind when I switch to sunglasses later. yikes! alligator face. what to do?
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum
regynalonglank

Postby Toolmaker » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:05 pm

A good hard pimp slap to the face will likely make anyone forget about their other ailments.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby gyre » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:19 pm

The moisturizing Ayr stuff really does work in the most extreme conditions.
I don't usually need it, but when it is really dry it is great.

The regular saline version is much cheaper, but the better one is worth it.
gyre

Postby Intubater69 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:58 pm

Holy Mackeral!!!

And I though Misery made me wince... :shock:
I get to drive the ambulance how fast?!!

SailMan
Intubater69

Postby gyre » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:25 pm

Fishy now officially has a sense of humour as dry as mine.

Get used to most people missing your jokes, Fishy.
gyre

For those nasty headaches

Postby tubahurl » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:54 pm

To those who experience headaches on the playa. Here are Cap'n Mikey's proven headache cures. First as always, hydrate. As a veteran burner suggests, start slammin' water as you pass Reno(for those of us going east). Never go anywhere without an ample supply of agua. If you don't have one already, get an "easily" refillable back bladder (don't like product endorsements unless they reciprocate).This year I added electrolytes twice a day. Be careful though, I think twice is too much, stabbing muscle cramps will ensue if you over do it. Second, a simple saline nasal rinse once a day keeps the sinuses moist and playa-less. If you partake in those ever present libations, hydrate more and use a liquid B complex shot before the evenings festivities. If you can acquire some dark air conditioned hole for a few hours, that goes a long way to recharging the batteries and getting rid of the playa head.

Cheers,

Cap'n o the Tub
tubahurl

Postby DragginLady » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:06 am

I do not think the value of vinegar can be overstated. That stuff is like magic! Add some to a spray bottle of water and spritz; then baby wipes and lotion.. then socks if it is feet you are dealing with.

For those inclined to blisters... put some good duct tape where you would get a blister before you go out. Preventative (Iused this method when doing long charity walks).

This year we bought one of those garden insecticide sprayers and used it for showering each other. Also for washing hair. We had the person lay down on a cot with head hanging over. While two of us washed hair, a third person massaged the feet. It was great fun, and we had hopeful parties lining up for their turn!

The sprayer used less than a gallon of water to effectively clean a whole body, and the water was warm if it had been sitting in the sun. Plus it helps to have a buddy to hold the sprayer, so a lot of laughing and fun goes on.

I love all the hints people leave here on ePlaya. Got the sprayer after Phil mentioned it; got my Springbar tent on another recommendation; bought glow in the dark paint and recycled soda bottle rugs after hearing them discussed here...

I love Burning Man and I love all you guys!
DragginLady

Postby gyre » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:40 am

Get a steel sprayer and you can use it on a stove.
gyre

Postby chinacatsunflower » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:04 pm

Ok, this isn't really a cure to any ailment, and it has been stated before: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drink unholy amounts of water! Apparently I am not succeptible to the playa dust-related ailments, but I have to believe that my level of hydration helped keep my skin/throat from becoming dried out and irratated. I am going to try my best to avoid a product endorsement, but that handy backpack water bladder named after a desert-dwelling, one or two humped quadraped mammal was an absolute lifesaver. During the day I would fill my half gallon bladder as well as carry a water bottle--you never know where your journey will take you, or how long you will be gone. At night the bladder was sufficient.

Apart from hydration, I am really a die-hard supporter of bandanas. Cowbows have been using them for hundreds of years, right? For me, their value lies in their comfort and versitility. Wet one down, tie it around your neck, or on your head--I wear them in the kitchen all the time and they keep me cool. If the dust picks up, pull it over your face and you are golden.

That's all. Keep on burning.

chinacat
See you on the playa!
chinacatsunflower

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:30 pm

The bladder packs never worked for me. I have two 27 ounce klean kanteenswhich I filled with water and *cough, cough* crystal sleezer *cough* flavoring and I was able to keep hydrated, only used the nasal saline twice in 9 days, and didn't get much of that dried out eyeball feeling. And none of that nasty plastic traces getting into my system. And in 2005, I took 6 bags of saline, so it's a huge improvement. So, if you find that the common solution just isn't for you, keep experimenting.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:57 pm

I thought food grade stainless was 316L, not 304?
I thought 304 was just barely stainless?
gyre

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:04 pm

gyre wrote:I thought food grade stainless was 316L, not 304?

304 aka 18/8 is one of the common stainless steels out there. 316 is not far behind but IS the commonly known "food/marine" stainless steel flavor.

I could talk about steel all day...

420 and 440 are good for blades..
416 is really nice to machine..
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:13 am

gyre wrote:I thought food grade stainless was 316L, not 304?

Depends on how you prepare it. If you anneal it, the add some soy sauce, tomato slices, peppers, anchovies, bacon, and cheese, they taste about the same. The 316L ( L for Laxative) can cure constipation.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Playaface » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:30 pm

Oooo How bout playa ear??
My sights based on movement, Hippies beware!
Playaface

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:50 pm

for that vacant empty feeling in their vagina

See me, Dr AZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Sail Man » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:45 pm

Playaface wrote:Oooo How bout playa ear??

Alka Seltzer and Vinegar :P

You might have to hold them down though :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

blisters

Postby Anastasia » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:13 pm

I'm definately going to try the duck tape one for blisters, but anyone else know a good remedy. I don't go around shoeless, cus i love my feet, but after a whole day of parusing the playa, my feet hurt so bad that I can't party at night. So I'm looking for blister remedys.
Here, have a cookie!
(::)
Anastasia

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:16 pm

Something wrong with good old fasioned moleskin? or better yet, late 20th century molefoam?

Of course, you don't want to take my remedies for foot ailments.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Anastasia » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:24 pm

I forgot you said that because i have no idea what a moleskin is besides the outer part of a mole. Enlighten me please Oh Great Crypto Fish!
Here, have a cookie!
(::)
Anastasia

Next

Return to 2008 Theme